PDA

View Full Version : Gold, What would you do????

sildoc
12-13-2004, 04:08 PM
Ok I was replacing a couple of dead trees earlier this week and as we were diging the holes larger than what they previously were dug for the old trees I ran across a small gold nugget.
What would you have done?
1. Keep it and not tell the owner?
2. Give it to the owner?
3. Tell the owner but keep it anyways?
4. put it back in the ground for good luck?

out4now
12-13-2004, 04:10 PM
Checked my watch to make sure it hadn't fallen off and got hit by the auger, then check dental work in the truck mirror, if all was ok I'd probably just keep it and convince the owner they need more trees. :p

bobbygedd
12-13-2004, 04:18 PM
if you broke an electrical line while digging, it would have been yours to fix. well, it's a two way street aint it?

sildoc
12-13-2004, 04:20 PM
if you broke an electrical line while digging, it would have been yours to fix. well, it's a two way street aint it?
Nope no electrical line. Actuall gold nugget. I know it is hard to belive but we are in a gold area.

bobbygedd
12-13-2004, 04:23 PM
Nope no electrical line. Actuall gold nugget. I know it is hard to belive but we are in a gold area.
i think you're missing my point there alfred. ok, simple answer....if it fits in your pocket, then put it there

ztoro
12-13-2004, 04:25 PM
i agree with out4now..

Dig up his whole yard when he is at work. then take off for the islands and hire someone one to redo his yard and have the guy send you the bill.....

rodfather
12-13-2004, 04:36 PM
Finders keepers IMO.

locutus
12-13-2004, 05:37 PM
Keep it. Most likely it would have never been found by anyone else. BTW, how big was the nugget?

lawnwizards
12-13-2004, 05:49 PM
i wouldn't go talking too much or else you'll have half the nation prospecting. in turn more lco's popping up.... :laugh:

KCLandscape
12-13-2004, 07:39 PM
How big is it??

billc
12-13-2004, 07:41 PM
If someone found a gold nugget while working on your property, what would you want him (or her) to do? Keep it or give it to you?

JKOOPERS
12-13-2004, 07:42 PM
yeah just like some idoit did today here in st. louis that works at a super market as a cart b!tch he found a money bag with $21,000 in it and the idoit turned it in. i would keep it

locutus
12-13-2004, 08:01 PM
yeah just like some idoit did today here in st. louis that works at a super market as a cart b!tch he found a money bag with $21,000 in it and the idoit turned it in. i would keep itThere is a difference here. Someone definitely missed the $21,000 left in the shopping cart. The Homeowners never ever will miss the nugget.

beransfixitinc
12-13-2004, 08:01 PM
yeah just like some idoit did today here in st. louis that works at a super market as a cart b!tch he found a money bag with $21,000 in it and the idoit turned it in. i would keep it

I'm not sure what you can really do with a gold nugget anymore these days except keep it on a shelf for decoration. I believe there are such strict government rules placed on the sale of raw nuggets now so that they can control the gold market that you would have a rather hard time getting fair value on it. I suppose if you knew a jeweler that melted down old gold, they might could plate something for you with it.

leadarrows
12-13-2004, 08:09 PM
I would rig up a metal detector to look like a trimmer and go back. :) JK

I'm all for being honest but finding a gold nugget on the ground....finders keepers.

locutus
12-13-2004, 08:11 PM
I would rig up a metal detector to look like a trimmer and go back. :) JK

I'm all for being hounest but finding a gold nuget on the ground....finders keepers.LOL thats funny!

LA LAWNS
12-13-2004, 08:39 PM
how big is the nugget? are we talkin a green pea or a small orange?

TURF DOCTOR
12-13-2004, 08:43 PM
Think it out, let your conscious be your guide.

KINGjosh
12-13-2004, 09:09 PM

you have got to be a saint or a complete moron to do that!

sildoc
12-13-2004, 09:30 PM
Told the customer,
Customer says keep it he finds little gold here and there as he plants his bulbs and anualls. It is not big maybe 1/4"x1/8 shaped like a odd football. probably only worth 100 or so if I were to sell but I ended up taking it to a jewler and having a pendant made for my wife.
He then turned and said he will maybe having a few more trees to transplant next spring and he would like me to do that too.
Gave him final bill and he gave me a 50 dollar tip for being honest, said most people would just pocket it and never said a thing.
It worked out for me.

JKOOPERS
12-13-2004, 11:58 PM
it turns out the 17 yr old kid got $2,000 and free cell phone from the guy that lost the bag. the guy that lost it is a wireless store owner and hes an arabian. then the guy even offered the kid a job. just my opinion i still wouldnt have gave it back .

JKOOPERS
12-14-2004, 12:03 AM
i know a guy that took a shovel from a job site once and the next day is transmission went out and the day after that his wife blew up the engine in her car. it always come back to haunt ya but hey payup payup payup

farmered
12-14-2004, 04:07 PM
well,

regarding gold nuggets. this is from oregon, right? where is eagle point? there are mineral specimen collectors and dealers out there (like what i do part time) that collect and sell this stuff (no, personally, i do not deal with native metal specimens like gold, silver, copper, unless it's very pretty and somehow appeals to me). And it dlosn't sell for $430 per troy oz/market spot either. It's way more. If it is very attractive - e.g. dentritic or has definided crystals (e.g. like native copper or native silver), then it's worth more money. it's usually several times the spot price of equivalent mass of gold. so, send me or post a picture of this thing and measurements too and weight (before it was mounted in your wife's pendant).

i always love field collecting. there is nothing like finding the stuff yourself. even here in virginia(ss) there are people who go gold panning because it's in the streams.

--ed

sildoc
12-14-2004, 04:18 PM
well,

regarding gold nuggets. this is from oregon, right? where is eagle point? there are mineral specimen collectors and dealers out there (like what i do part time) that collect and sell this stuff (no, personally, i do not deal with native metal specimens like gold, silver, copper, unless it's very pretty and somehow appeals to me). And it dlosn't sell for $430 per troy oz/market spot either. It's way more. If it is very attractive - e.g. dentritic or has definided crystals (e.g. like native copper or native silver), then it's worth more money. it's usually several times the spot price of equivalent mass of gold. so, send me or post a picture of this thing and measurements too and weight (before it was mounted in your wife's pendant).

i always love field collecting. there is nothing like finding the stuff yourself. even here in virginia(ss) there are people who go gold panning because it's in the streams.

--ed

It is already at the jewlers. I know it is worth more than Troy oz. But it is not worth selling. I think the story is worth more than what I can get out of the gold itself. I do some tinkering with prospecting when I have the time and can find lots of flour gold. but still looking for that nice specimin that I can mount in a nice display. As for the pendant they are just going to attach a small clasp to hold the nugget to the chain.
Eagle Point is near medford and Jacksonville oregon. There is a wide belt of placer and vain gold in the area.

RedWingsDet
12-14-2004, 04:29 PM
I would have told him about it, im honest, I have a hard time lying. Also, about that 21,000$ I would have turned it in, you would have to spend it over a majority of time anyways so no-one would findout. Hell, I found $50 when I was like 12 at a restraunt, and told the waitor, and he asked everyone there if they lost it, and then one guy said it was his, so i went to give it to him and he told me thanks for being honest and let me keep it. I will probably always tell the person if i find something that isnt mine, because of one small childhood expierience like that. Anyway, glad ya told him, and see it worked out better for you anyway!

Tharrell
12-14-2004, 07:11 PM
I think he salted the ground hoping for some rumors. The property will be up for sale soon!