PDA

View Full Version : wright stander owners

snap12.5
12-13-2004, 05:41 PM
i am thinking of buying a used 2000 model 52'' 1200 hrs. it has a new engine on it with warranty until august 2005. $3,300, is this a good deal??
also, what problems have any wright owners experienced on these standers either when mowing or during transport?? any help appreciated.

truenorthlandscaping
12-13-2004, 06:59 PM
Hey Snap,
I love these mowers and so do the guys. I've yet to experience a more efficient machine for properties averaging 1 acre or less, especially with lots of obstacles or steep hills. They're compact, the center of gravity is low, can fit several on a trailer. I think Great Dane's done a way better job of marketing their 'Super Surfer', but Wright is the original. I've demo'd the Surfers and I like the Stander better. We also own a Wright Centaur (fold down seat). We've got 2 for sale, will buy new next year. Contact me if you'd like to know more, truenorthlandscaping@yahoo.com.

Shady Brook
12-13-2004, 09:10 PM
You will find a bunch of supporters for the standers on this site. I have a 36" unit, and have to say that it has been a very solid unit. It has only had one minor problem but was not likely related to the Wright end of the product. I have about 500 hours, and it is extreamly reliable. I believe the 52 unit will be superior on hills, and less likely to rut then my 36. I do not know about the 52, but will say that my 36 does not cut very well in tall grass or moist grass. I know no mower is great in these conditions, but it is inferior to probably any mower I have previously owned. I was reminded of this fact just the other day as I was preping to put away my mowers for the winter. I did a leaf clean up the day before, 1 leaf clean up with it and the deck was completely packed. I mean from top to bottom. I have no idea how the blades even turned. It is just not a deck that is designed to clear material very far, or very fast. I like the mower as it is quick, nimble, reliable, and fun to drive, but am very dissatisfied with it's mowing performance in any condition other then perfect. Don't let my opinion disuade you, as many others will say their bigger mowers are awsome, but something to consider.

Good luck
Jay

grassman2001
12-13-2004, 09:35 PM
Around here you can get a 52 inch 19 horse new for between 5500 and 6000. Personally that is a whole lot of hours for 3300. I don't know where you are from in Ohio, but in cincinnati try Klei Mower. They usaully have great prices on thier customer appreciation day ( late Feb.). Good Luck!!!

Itsgottobegreen
12-13-2004, 10:49 PM
About $2500 is what its worth. Its going to have the old stlye pumps, the unreiforced deck, and a few other minor things. One of mine is a 2000 model. I got the kit to reforce the deck and just welded it up. My new 2004 model makes the 1998 model I have look like a joke. I have had very few problems with mine. Mostly stuff the new version have been corrected for.

I love mine and would recommend them to anybody.

snap12.5
12-14-2004, 09:05 PM
Itsgottobegreen- how do people determine the value of lawn mowers? is there a book value that you look up to get $2500 for this stander? you mentioned that a 2000 model has the old pumps and un-reinforced deck. is there something wrong with the old pumps that i need to be aware of? and what do u mean "un-reinforced deck"? thanks for the input. i appreciate your help

Itsgottobegreen
12-14-2004, 09:34 PM
There is nothing wrong with the old pumps. The new one have less linkages to them because they have built in auto return so the new ones are even more responsive to the controls. Also less wear parts. I have both, I was just letting you know that there are difference between the 2000 model and the new models.

I wheel and deal with lawn mowers and tractor on the side. So I know what the going prices are for most machines.

The reinforced decks of the new machines have the following.
A piece of steel that is 1.5" by 1/4" that wrap around on the bottom of the left side of the deck. They also have 3 triangles of 1.5" by 1/4" that stick out further on the deck from the deck cover frame. One on each end and one in the center. They prevents any bending of the deck.

nitrotim
12-14-2004, 09:48 PM
I just ordered 52" stander with the 19 hp kawi. I went with the 19 instead of the 23 because there aren't to many hills around here. I compared it side by side with the JD stander 54". The JD has longer wheel base and even though is has a floating deck i could see where it might be a problem scalpin. Isgottobegreen was one of the main reasons I bought it also since he has three of them.

truenorthlandscaping
12-14-2004, 11:24 PM
I like itsgottobegreen for having so many Wright's. Let me add that we get so many looks riding these mowers, and comments from people saying, "What is that thing?" it's worth having them for the attention alone. But honestly, compared to anything else I've ever used, I'd sum it up by saying 'so responsive it's scary'. They are just unbelievable on hills, tight areas, obstacles, and a darned nice cut. Plus you can fit more on a trailer. I've met some of the Wright guys in Louisville, plus Jim Velke. Nice guys, also rocket scientists...

Itsgottobegreen
12-14-2004, 11:29 PM
Isgottobegreen was one of the main reasons I bought it also since he has three of them.

So your saying if I had 6 of them you would buy 2. I love mine. Soon as I sell this Sentar 2 I have and it snows alot. There will be a 4th and a 5th one. Another 52" 23hp and a baby 32". I wish it was spring already.

A guy near me just bought 10 of them according to my dealer plus 5 more to other people. My competition is starting to gain an edge on me. After seeing me with an edge over them for so long. I was the only guy in town with them. Except for a few home owners with them.

impactlandscaping
12-15-2004, 01:34 AM
Sorry I was late to this thread.. :D ..I have 2 Standers, 17/48's, and will be buying a 3rd come springtime. I think the price of 3300.00 is high as well since I took a six hour drive over to Indiana this June when I bought my second unit. I picked it up with 265 hours on the meter, a 2003 model from a fellow landscaper just over the bridge from Louisville and I paid less than 3300.00 for it, plus it has electric start as well. For a little more cash than 3300.00 , you could almost get a new one in early spring throught their channel partner discount program. Put a deposit on one, I think 5%, and pay the rest at pickup, and save several hundred $$$. They may even have some great financing deals in the spring. I would offer the guy around $ 23-2600.00 for that mower. If you look around over the winter, I think you can find a better deal than 3300.00 for a 2000 model. Once you get one, though, you'll wonder how you cut without it until then. And as truenorth said, get ready to get some looks when cutting with it. Don't forget a mulch kit and a grassgobbler for leaves..

nitrotim
12-15-2004, 01:52 AM
[QUOTE=Itsgottobegreen]So your saying if I had 6 of them you would buy 2.

LOL no but the fact that you own three is testimony enough that they are good machines. I looked at the 32 also but was worried that I would rut with it simce I am 6'1" 235lbs. I also got the mulch kit with grass gobbler.

Itsgottobegreen
12-15-2004, 11:50 AM
Impact and I are the two biggest fans of the stander. We have 6 between us and probably will have more by the end of next year.

If I had the time, accounts and crews. I would be running at least 4 trucks. Each with two 52" and one 32". That makes at least 12. There is no other product I will stand behind more than the stander. (except stuff of my own design)

MacLawnCo
12-15-2004, 12:29 PM
snap12.5,

contact me. For a few hundred more you could have my 04 52"19, 260 hrs.

snap12.5
12-15-2004, 09:04 PM
Maclawn- why u selling it? do u have any pics?
Impact - how were u able to get such a great deal on the 2003? it seems too good of a deal, like the guy selling it didnt know what it was worth. or is that really the value of the machine. congrats on the deal though!
thanks for all replies

stimpy
12-15-2004, 09:40 PM
Snap 12.5 The local dealears here have a set up called the yard card. No interest no payments for 12 months, but if you dont pay it off at the end of 12 you get hit with the interest. I just picked one up last week. Set the cash aside. This would give you all season to come up with the extra 2 grand or so .I think the 52 is about 5300 new this time of year. The deal ends dec 18 I think but not sure. Info is on the wright site. New is real nice. I just love mine, but I am a new guy so you know that go,s

RedWingsDet
12-15-2004, 10:17 PM
after reading all the rave reviews about them, im planing on getting a 52/23 next spring. I might go smaller, but either way, it will be bigger than a 36" but smaller than a 52".

I heard they dont stripe well, is this true?

Thanks guys!!! :waving:

dwc
12-15-2004, 11:28 PM
I have a 2003 Sentar....48"/19hp Kawasaki. I like the machine and its really fast and maneuvers really good. I am going to sell it and look at John Deere since my local dealer went out of business and the next closest one is 1.5 hours away. I would take $3,900 for it. New it was $7,800 out the door with bagger and mulch kit and tax. Under warranty till this coming June.

SouthernYankee
12-15-2004, 11:32 PM
its seems that a lot of people that have either demoed or owned the 36" standers say that they have a lot of problems rutting....Anyone else have a good experiance with them?

MacLawnCo
12-16-2004, 09:38 AM
snap, you have a Private message (http://www.lawnsite.com/private.php?)
Regarding striping, since the 48/52s have such a wide wheel base, they really do stripe very well. All my props were showing all 4 lines at the end of this season if that means anything.

Regarding scuffing around tree rings as i saw in a different stander thread, well that is just operator technique. Becuase of the wheel base, you are not going to be able to just drive around the ring. Takes a lil more manuvering.