PDA

View Full Version : got in a little bit of trouble.....

Gmgbo
12-13-2004, 05:01 PM
last night i got a wreckless driving ticket for doing 100 in a 65. i need my licnese in the spring when i get back to work so i hope i dont loose it. has this happened to anyone else, or does anyone know the punishments :realmad:

65hoss
12-13-2004, 05:07 PM
You need your license but will risk it?? hummm...

Usually you can make a plea to the judge showing your work needs to keep it.

grass_cuttin_fool
12-13-2004, 05:08 PM
Not sure about where you are, but here in Va it depends on how many points you all ready had for/against you to start with. In some state you can take an emergency vehicle operators course (EVOC) Fire and ems have to have this to drive in Va. Or either check in to a local college for safe driving classes, its winter time and not that much going on , so dont wait till spring to check in to that. In Va we get a bonus of 5 good points for EVOC and its just a 2 1/4 day class, Friday eve is some class, all day sat is class and sunday is for the driving range mainly and with us soon as you pass the driving you can leave.

MowforMoney
12-13-2004, 05:13 PM
it also dependes alot on your past record, if you had a couple of tickets for speeding that could hurt you a little bit. If this is your second reckless driving one I would say you could be in trouble. Another major factor is your age. I have a friend that got a reckless driving ticket he was probably 18, 19 years old. It was his first ticket and he had to take a test and watch a video. What was kinda funny about it was the video was at blockbuster, and cost him around 40-50 dollars, that was the only place he could get it. They did suspend his liscense for three months. I do remember the judge telling him that if he was older as in 25 his probation period would have been over. Don't really know if that helps to much but thats all I know. Good luck, and be a little more carefull, lol.

rodfather
12-13-2004, 05:13 PM
In NJ, they can take your license on the spot for driving 21 mph or more over the posted limit.

out4now
12-13-2004, 05:14 PM
last night i got a wreckless driving ticket for doing 100 in a 65. i need my licnese in the spring when i get back to work so i hope i dont loose it. has this happened to anyone else, or does anyone know the punishments :realmad:

My guess is it won't be pretty. You may convince the judge to let you keep it for your living but it could get restricted to only between blah blah hours and work only.

rodfather
12-13-2004, 05:16 PM
Forgot, wait till ya hear from your insurance carrier. As they say in ebonics, "you be f***ed".

geogunn
12-13-2004, 05:25 PM
100 mph in a 65 mph speed zone? reeeeally?

was it the fact that you got caught that has resulted in the epiphany that you need your license this spring?

I wonder what you thought about your license before you had this epiphany?

I say since you are only 18 and probably a nice kid, you'll get away with a warning from the judge.

GEO :dizzy:

rodfather
12-13-2004, 05:27 PM
I say since you are only 18 and probably a nice kid, you'll get away with a warning from the judge.

A warning? You have to be joking, right?

Gmgbo
12-13-2004, 05:27 PM
hopefully a warning :dizzy:

Harleyboy52
12-13-2004, 05:30 PM
Go to your County Court House and ask to speak to an assistant DA. Ask him if he can reduce the ticket so you won't lose your license. Tell him that you are willing to go to driving school or do whatever it takes to keep your license. This school usually cost about $150 and is on a Saturday. Here that ticket would be about $125+ court cost $100+ the driving school $150. If that ticket sticks your insurance will probably triple. You can also retain a lawyer and he can get it reduced most of the time. Try the DA first.

bobbygedd
12-13-2004, 05:35 PM
can i ask why you were driving 100 mph? that's insane, very dangerous. one night i met this chic. hot. we decided to go to atlantic city, we had both been drinking. we decided to take her bmw. she drove 100+ the entire way, wouldn't listen to me, and thought it was funny that this scared me. when we got there, i called her every nasty name i could think of, and grabbed a taxi home.

meathead1134
12-13-2004, 05:49 PM
can i ask why you were driving 100 mph? that's insane, very dangerous. one night i met this chic. hot. we decided to go to atlantic city, we had both been drinking. we decided to take her bmw. she drove 100+ the entire way, wouldn't listen to me, and thought it was funny that this scared me. when we got there, i called her every nasty name i could think of, and grabbed a taxi home.

Very smart move Bobby! I would have done the same thing. BTW you got to love the up and down on the atlantic city expressway that road is no where near flat. Where abouts in NJ you located. My aunt and uncle lived in tuckerton 45 minuntes away from atlantic city.

rodfather
12-13-2004, 05:54 PM
we decided to take her bmw.

Taking a taxi back home was the right thing to do bg. You're still partly at fault here by allowing her to drive.

Gmgbo
12-13-2004, 05:57 PM
u really think ill lose my license, first time offender..

jsr2741
12-13-2004, 06:06 PM
At that speed, going into to talk to the P.A. isn't probably going to work (depends on how big of a city/county your in). You have two choices. Get an Attorney and have the ticket reduced to a non-moving violation (assuming you have no other violations on your driving record) and pay a very large fine and court cost and your Attorney's fee. Or plead guilty and pay a fine according to the schedule for the amount over the speed limit you were going along with you court costs and you'll probably lose a couple points. I doubt you'll lose your license if it's your first offense.

rodfather
12-13-2004, 06:08 PM
u really think ill lose my license, first time offender..

Think you have a 50/50 chance of needing some comfortable walking shoes. Here in NJ what you did is considered wreckless endangerment. And I know for a fact that CT, NJ, and NY share a lot of the same penalites for the same offense.

No matter what, the fine, lawyer's fee, and insurance surcharge is gonna hurt your wallet big time IMO.

CamLand
12-13-2004, 06:11 PM
Sure wont be a warning from the insurance company...

bobbygedd
12-13-2004, 06:20 PM
if you lose your auto license, can you still drive a moped?

SodKing
12-13-2004, 06:22 PM
I have read above about him taking classes, remedial driving course, and the likes and I have to say....HE JUST GOT OUT OF THOSE CLASSES what 1.5 to 2 years ago!!!! If I were the judge I would suspend your license for being an idiot for the whole winter so you could sit down and realize that you endangered. You 18 year olds think your invincible.

I was driving my F-250 with the plow on and 500 lbs in the back at about 45 on a slush covered highway and got passes like I was standing still by someone who was easily 18 or less. On the flip side I too have driven well over 100mph, but I have had my license longer than you have been alive, it is in a Porsche, and the highways are always empty when I do it. 100 mph is not that fast for an accomplished driver but for a driver who was in diapers longer than he/she had their license, its too fast.

Wayne Landscaping
12-13-2004, 06:28 PM
100 isn't that fast, except if you get caught. What kind of car was it?

rodfather
12-13-2004, 06:29 PM

Absolutely not, some states not even a friggin horse.

bobbygedd
12-13-2004, 06:33 PM
Absolutely not, some states not even a friggin horse.
that's hilarious! not even a horse???? can he get a piggy back ride from a blonde female professional wrestler?

RedWingsDet
12-13-2004, 06:34 PM
First of all, that sucks, and im sure you learned your lesson. And secondly, NICE NAME! lol. In michigan if you do 25 over you loose your lisence for 6 months.

Anyway, why the hell were you doing 100mph? and thats going to be a big ticket. I know 20 over is like $250 in MI. plus points plus you have to buy and take a driving class, but again, it all depends on the city, state, and department.

Well, I wish you the best, maybe you will get lucky and get it reduced to 5 or 10 and pay alot of money and take a class.. Thats what I would do. If you can get it reduced to 5 over then its worth any amount of money, even $500. But again, whats your previous record? Good luck, but I hope you learned your lesson. Im 16, and im sooo scared to speed, all my buddies speed, and when we go somewhere and I have to follow, I cant keep up, they all go 75 in 65, and im usually going like 60. lol. but Hey, its worth not getting a ticket, Im sooo paranoid about getting a ticket, which is a good thing IMO. Most people my age (teenagers) think they are invincible, but im so paranoid that I know im not. lol. Good luck man!

grass_cuttin_fool
12-13-2004, 06:35 PM
100 isn't that fast, except if you get caught. What kind of car was it?
Had to be a Chevy if it was going over a 100mph

lawnguyland
12-13-2004, 06:42 PM
Had to be a Chevy if it was going over a 100mph
Ohhhhhhhhhhh Nooooooooo! Not the Chevy vs. Ford thing, again.

RedWingsDet
12-13-2004, 06:48 PM
OH and hey, if you want to get some more advice from cops and such, go to 911forums.com and im sure they will help you, they will yell at you, but they will give you tips, so its worth it ;)

JKOOPERS
12-13-2004, 06:49 PM
i a few of those tickets in my day . all i got was some points on my lics . why dont you just get a laywer? might cost about $200 just my 2 cents

work_it
12-13-2004, 06:54 PM
Think you have a 50/50 chance of needing some comfortable walking shoes. Here in NJ what you did is considered wreckless endangerment. And I know for a fact that CT, NJ, and NY share a lot of the same penalites for the same offense.

No matter what, the fine, lawyer's fee, and insurance surcharge is gonna hurt your wallet big time IMO.

I'm with you on that one. I don't care if there's other people on the roads or not, and don't care what you're driving or what kind of experience you have. There's absolutely no reason for anyone to drive down any public road or highway at those speeds. If you want to drive 100+ mph then keep it on a track designed for racing. I may sound a little harsh but I honestly don't mind them taking your license away. You're obviously to immature to be behind the wheel of a 2400+lb vehicle that you choose to turn into a driving death trap for yourself or some family.

Gmgbo
12-13-2004, 07:02 PM
i was driving a 92 vw golf with a v6 swapped into it so its kinda hard not 2 go fast :cool2: i think i learned my lesson. my friend had 2 unpaid speeding ticktets and got caught driving under suspension, he got arrest. then he got a lawyer for $200 and got all teh charges dropped. i took a school field trip up 2 the courthouse a while ago and met the judge...i hope he remebers me

HOMER
12-13-2004, 07:09 PM
Down here they can plead "youthful offender" and get off of all kinds of stuff. Not sure how that works or why it would make a difference but it does. You might see if your state has this.

In the future slow it down.

Leave that fast driving to the over 40 crowd that needs to feel a rush every now and then.

:rolleyes: ;) payup :D :cry:

Kelly's Landscaping
12-13-2004, 07:11 PM
Dude your 18 omg are you F***ed I pay 600 a year for a 99 ram with half a million full coverage you want to guess what you would pay for the same truck. Probably 6000 for the lowest coverage allowed. I use to drive fast too a long time ago but I never was dumb enough to get caught at those speeds. If you want to be a landscaper I would recommend you knock off the racecar driver nonsense. Aside from insurance you could find your self in a wheel chair all to easy driving like that.

rodfather
12-13-2004, 09:05 PM
Dude your 18 omg are you F***ed I pay 600 a year for a 99 ram with half a million full coverage you want to guess what you would pay for the same truck. Probably 6000 for the lowest coverage allowed. I use to drive fast too a long time ago but I never was dumb enough to get caught at those speeds. If you want to be a landscaper I would recommend you knock off the racecar driver nonsense. Aside from insurance you could find your self in a wheel chair all to easy driving like that.

Good words Kelly..was hoping someone like you nearby would say something.

saktate
12-13-2004, 09:20 PM
Better hope no one in the juducial system lost a loved one due to someone as irresponsible as you.

grass-scapes
12-13-2004, 09:23 PM
I have read above about him taking classes, remedial driving course, and the likes and I have to say....HE JUST GOT OUT OF THOSE CLASSES what 1.5 to 2 years ago!!!! If I were the judge I would suspend your license for being an idiot for the whole winter so you could sit down and realize that you endangered. You 18 year olds think your invincible.

I was driving my F-250 with the plow on and 500 lbs in the back at about 45 on a slush covered highway and got passes like I was standing still by someone who was easily 18 or less. On the flip side I too have driven well over 100mph, but I have had my license longer than you have been alive, it is in a Porsche, and the highways are always empty when I do it. 100 mph is not that fast for an accomplished driver but for a driver who was in diapers longer than he/she had their license, its too fast.

So that means its ok to break the law as long as we are "old enough" or no one is around. So, when you aren't home and during the off season, I think I will come by and take your trailer loaded with your equipment. I maan, Im old enough......and no one is around. And I have a very nice truck, albeit far from a porsche. all this must make it ok to do that.
Thats good to know. I wonder if the police know these rules.

Eric 1
12-13-2004, 09:24 PM
So, it's ok to speed if you are older and have a capable car??? please. :dizzy:

Here, you would lose that license, And i hope you do, you deserve it to have been going 35mph over the speed limit. You could have killed someone. Cars drive different at high speeds.

There is a speed limit for a reason.

You should have thought about how much you need to drive before you go doing stuff like that.

And i have to ask, what were you driving.

JCW-G
12-13-2004, 09:28 PM
Blued, Screwed, Tatood / Reamed, Steamed, and Drycleaned

geogunn
12-13-2004, 09:30 PM
A warning? You have to be joking, right?

ROD--of course I am joking! I have been laughing so hard at my own joke I think I got an inflamed hemoroid from the jocular stress on the ole anal sphincter!

this kid is a danger to all of life and limb in the FREE WORLD! he aint sorry, he aint contrite and I will bet a dozen fresh hot sugared jellies that he hasn't told 0.02% of the whole truth.

when he goes to court the trooper--and I bet it was a trooper is gonna have this kidsass on a spit and the judge is gonna be EMERILL doing the cooking!!! YESSSS! I mean the emerill on TV that always cooks with the HOT SAUCE! OUCH!

this kid.........OPPS 'SCUSE ME!!! this ADULT aint gonna get the courtesy of a juvie pass.

folks! say it with me? DUDE!!! do you smell something burning? nooOOOooo it aint toast in the toaster..........kid, it's yourass toasting in the toaster!!!

KID--you shoudda been drinking. that way we wouldn't be talking about your need for speed AS YOU MAJOR problemo.

GEO

Sir mowsalot
12-13-2004, 09:32 PM
GET AN ATTORNEY RIGHT NOW. DONT WAIT. FIGHT IT , FIGHT IT, FIGHT IT. With a good attorney you would be surprised at what he could come up with to save your hide. First thing he would do is read the ticket with a fine tooth comb, if the cop messed up on anything, you could get off right there. If everything is in order on the ticket, next step is to see when the cop last had his radar calibrated. If you are nailed and everything is perfect, tehn your attorney will convince the judge for you and help out that way. I know attorneys are expensive, but how bad do you want your d.l. if you go into court without counsel your screwed.

Envy Lawn Service
12-13-2004, 09:46 PM

Lickersicle
(liquor-cycle)
:drinkup:

Turfdude
12-13-2004, 10:04 PM
ROD--of course I am joking! I have been laughing so hard at my own joke I think I got an inflamed hemoroid from the jocular stress on the ole anal sphincter!

this kid is a danger to all of life and limb in the FREE WORLD! he aint sorry, he aint contrite and I will bet a dozen fresh hot sugared jellies that he hasn't told 0.02% of the whole truth.

when he goes to court the trooper--and I bet it was a trooper is gonna have this kidsass on a spit and the judge is gonna be EMERILL doing the cooking!!! YESSSS! I mean the emerill on TV that always cooks with the HOT SAUCE! OUCH!

this kid.........OPPS 'SCUSE ME!!! this ADULT aint gonna get the courtesy of a juvie pass.

folks! say it with me? DUDE!!! do you smell something burning? nooOOOooo it aint toast in the toaster..........kid, it's yourass toasting in the toaster!!!

KID--you shoudda been drinking. that way we wouldn't be talking about your need for speed AS YOU MAJOR problemo.

GEO

OMG --- ROTFLMFAO This is almost as good as one of my young former employees calling for an insurance quote for a motorcycle "Points?? Well I think I still have 12... speeding, careless driving, wreckless driving, crossing a median strip..." The rest of us were laughing so hard in the background that the insurance agent thought it was a prank call and hung up on the sorry SOB! SO what does this genius do?? He takes his unregistered & uninsured cycle w/ a friend to the ATCO speedway to see how fast he does in the 1/4. On the way home, he & his buddy arre racing home..... of course his buddy bails & out runs the cops - this poor guy got the book thrown at him..

Young , dumb & full of c*m!

SodKing
12-13-2004, 10:05 PM
So, it's ok to speed if you are older and have a capable car??? please. :dizzy:

In effect yes, I have been driving longer than you have been alive. You have worn diapers longer than you have had your license. You do not have the necessary driving experience to exceed the speed limit. In Germany on the autobahn we would drive comfortably at 125mph. There a person who is 18 couldn't drive faster than 65mph, your license is restricted.

When I drive fast around here, I am endangering no one else but myself in a car capable of 155mph (electronically limited).

Turf Medic
12-13-2004, 10:14 PM
Get an attorney, that is the only answer you need!!! Do not wait, when you get to the court date it is already too late. A good attorney can make things like this go away.

No way will I go into a court room with any chance of a risk to my driving privileges without an attorney.

geogunn
12-13-2004, 10:42 PM
GET AN ATTORNEY RIGHT NOW. DONT WAIT. FIGHT IT , FIGHT IT, FIGHT IT. With a good attorney you would be surprised at what he could come up with to save your hide. First thing he would do is read the ticket with a fine tooth comb, if the cop messed up on anything, you could get off right there. If everything is in order on the ticket, next step is to see when the cop last had his radar calibrated. If you are nailed and everything is perfect, tehn your attorney will convince the judge for you and help out that way. I know attorneys are expensive, but how bad do you want your d.l. if you go into court without counsel your screwed.

SIR MOWS--tell me........ you did a search on some attys home page on the web.......RIGHT?

GEO

chuckers
12-13-2004, 10:43 PM
Here you wouldnt be asking that question they take you and sit u for 20 over and you kiss your dl good bye for at least 1 year. :dizzy:

Bray
12-14-2004, 12:43 AM
Did the same thing in my late teens. I out ran the cops on my Ninja only to find them at my house talking to my dad when I got home. They impounded my bike suspended my license for 6 months and I was slapped with 1500 in fines. My dad made me walk to school and work till I got my license back. Consider yourself lucky. You were caught before you killed yourself or someone else. That's the way I look back at it now. Man was I a stupid kid.

mdmowerman
12-14-2004, 01:14 AM
i got clocked doing 90 in a 65, went to court, after the formal BS that the judge does stating the case and heard my sappy excuse and the cop she says...

"you know airplanes take off at that speed!"

5point, $270 + court fees, + insurace increase

ProMo
12-14-2004, 08:03 AM
I was clocked at 160 in a 55 in my younger days dang airplane got me o well it was better than getting stopped by a cop on a horse. Two weeks ago a customer told me they just lost there son,I knew him for over 2o yrs he was a passenger in a new vette and his brother in law wrapped it around a tree going well over 100 mph and he was ejected

YardPro
12-14-2004, 08:07 AM
you should loose your liscense
driving 100mph can kill others. you are jeprodizing other people's lives.

Gmgbo
12-14-2004, 08:34 AM
everyone has gone 100, it was an open highway so the only 1 i would kill is myself

rodfather
12-14-2004, 08:36 AM
everyone has gone 100, it was an open highway so the only 1 i would kill is myself

What, it's just open to you?

geogunn
12-14-2004, 08:47 AM

OK--I'll play. Gumbo--what do you think your punishment should be?

Movinfr8
12-14-2004, 09:07 AM
In effect yes, I have been driving longer than you have been alive. You have worn diapers longer than you have had your license. You do not have the necessary driving experience to exceed the speed limit. In Germany on the autobahn we would drive comfortably at 125mph. There a person who is 18 couldn't drive faster than 65mph, your license is restricted.

When I drive fast around here, I am endangering no one else but myself in a car capable of 155mph (electronically limited).

Guess what? this (last time i checked) ain't Germany. I hope you get the ticket you deserve. I s the highway you drive on totaly free of deer? What about the kid who just smoked a joint and pulls out in front of you? (after all, it is perfectly legal in Amsterdam, right?)
by the way, isnt VW and porsche basicly the same?
P.S. if you've been driving so long, isn't it possible that your reflexes are a bit slower?
Not trying to preach, my own top speed is around 155 on a Kawasaki. Just dont try to justify it.
Norm

rodfather
12-14-2004, 09:25 AM
OK--I'll play. Gumbo--what do you think your punishment should be?

I think he's just looking for a "son, please don't do that again" from the judge GEO.

geogunn
12-14-2004, 09:34 AM
I think he's just looking for a "son, please don't do that again" from the judge GEO.

LOL ROD--and he's gonna be looking at that black hole in his wallet for about two years also when the judge gets through with him! hoo-haaa!

GEO

cutnedge
12-14-2004, 10:19 AM
I too have driven well over 100mph, but I have had my license longer than you have been alive, it is in a Porsche, and the highways are always empty when I do it. 100 mph is not that fast for an accomplished driver
I feel cheated :realmad: Around here, the speed limit signs show nothing but the maximum speed allowed. They post nothing about driving accomplishments, vehicle types, or being in the category of a lonely highway.

KathysLGC
12-14-2004, 11:14 AM
In CT your looking at a 30 day suspension. Second time 60day... 4 hour boring class...I know for a fact. Highest fine I got was over $500. i had to pay $3500. a year for auto ins. Ah the good ole days..... 1987 Mazda RX7 Turbo II....... Honda CBR 600F3 Stage 3 jet kit, bored out, ported, polished........yup I've gone 170MPH on that dam bike. My last speeding ticket was in 97. Even with the bike I never got chased nor caught. Took an accident in 2000 to get me to sell it and change my ways. Got a Eddie Bauer Explorer. It's not worth it. Wifey has a Porsche Boxster on lease that I open up every now and then on a turnpike connector but no more over 100mph days. Life is too short. I'd rather go 0-60 in 6 seconds or better then do what i used to. Now i keep cruise control set at 65-70

KathysLGC
12-14-2004, 11:17 AM
I feel cheated :realmad: Around here, the speed limit signs show nothing but the maximum speed allowed. They post nothing about driving accomplishments, vehicle types, or being in the category of a lonely highway.

i hear ya but andthing can happen. I've had my RX7 to 140 easy and one time i was on a long turn on RT 8 and hit a bump or something in the road, The rear end fish tailed a bit and when i picked up my heart and put it back in place it was enough for me to realize the roads aren't safe to go that fast.

cutnedge
12-14-2004, 11:39 AM
i hear ya but andthing can happen
Man, I wouldn't dream of doing 100 mph on these pothole-infested roads. I was referring to Sodkings reasons on why he can break the speed limit and someone else can't. I would hope the speed limits in NH show no favoritism to those listed.

richard coffman
12-14-2004, 11:41 AM
Mmmm,

ok, checked out your profile, and from my point of view, it's best if you got a lawyer for this. checking things out, Your 18 from what your profile says, this doesn't work well for ya. What made you want to go 100mph in a 65?? we're you racing??I'm not tryin to get down on ya. your, your own man. taking a couple of classes will only help with points, but not what the judge does to you, i believe he will not be pretty thou. Telling him you have a company to run won't help much, He'll just tell you, you shouldn have thought about that before you drove 100mph. I'd hire a really good attorney to represent you in court. I have one of the top 5 law firm here in the state of Utah represent me which thank goodness I've never really had to use, but it's there if i need it. Look into pre-paid legal services for small business protection. you would be paying a premium every month for services, but so well worth it. If you get a lawyer, You'll have a fighting chance. just my 2 cents, don't take it personal, just tryin to help you out......

Respectfully,

Richard/Owner :D :D :D :D :D :D

Expert Lawns
12-14-2004, 11:42 AM
defensive driving school, 3 months restricted license. work, school etc. reevaluation after 60 days. save your money for insurance rates

coastallandscapesolutions
12-14-2004, 12:03 PM
OK... QUITE a few years ago two of us ran this little car in an unofficial race around the county.... my claim to fame was being tagged on a turnpike between gates. Seems that when I handed the ticket to the clerk at the end she just held it and smiled. Then a state trooper walked up and introduced himself. Going by the times on the slip I was cited for driving in excess of posted maximum, reckless among other citations. $1000 bond and 4 hours later we were underway. The speed you ask.... 156 in a 55.

The drive/race was 8600 miles long. However, my driving partner, got tagged in AZ. The trooper tagged us and then radio'd down the road a 100 miles. When we were getting gas another trooper pulled up and ask who was driving. Sue said that she was. He asked her for her pilots license and she gave it to him. He stood there speechless. She was certified for business jets. Anyway he started laughing and said in his 20 years that nobody had actually produced a pilots license before. He let her go with a warning. Her speed... 171 in a 55.

Those speeds were on bare roads with no traffic. We both also held racing licenses in SCCA, SCORE, HDRA, USHRA and IHRA. We were both used to speed. Today I still drive with a lead foot although not like I did in the "old" days. Now a days it hangs around 85 with my trusty Valentine One.

Other drive times... Atlanta to Seattle in 31 hours, New York to LA in 28.6 hours.

rodfather
12-14-2004, 12:25 PM
My best one was a couple of days before I was off to a well-known military establishment at the age of 18 back in 1972...

I owned a 61 Vette that I raced at Raceway Park (1/4 mile track where they have the Summer Nationals each year) here in NJ. Let's just say it was pretty quick. Anyhow, since I was going away in a couple of days and wouldn't be let off campus until Thanksgiving, I thought I would take it out on a brand new highway that just opened up and see what she would do.

Running open headers on a summer's night at 1:00 in the morning can be kind of loud as you might expect. So it was no surprise that a NJ State Trooper heard me coming by him in the median strip doing (as I later found out) 136 mph. Couple of miles down the road, 3 troopers had a roadblock set up for me. My car gets impounded and towed away and Dad gets a phone call at 2 AM to come and get his son at the State Police barracks.

Now since I was going away in like 3 days, that township municipal judge was kind enough to hold a separate hearing just for yours truly. I lost my license for like 3 months and I seem to remember like around $600 or so in fines (maybe more).

I do remember this to this day. As I am standing there in front of the judge after levying all the points and fines, he looks down at me over his glasses and says this, "Son, one day you may be called upon to protect our country. But in the meantime, it's my job to protect our streets."

Let's just say I didn't have much money when I went away and I did learn my lesson...

geogunn
12-14-2004, 01:04 PM
........with my trusty Valentine One.

coastal--how well does that valentine do against the trigger finger of a trooper with a laser or instantaneous on radar?

GEO :waving:

bblawncareprofessionals
12-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Your state law says: Any person convicted of reckless driving is subject to a $ 100 to $ 300 fine, up to 30 days imprisonment, or both for the first offense and up to a $ 600 fine, up to one year imprisonment, or both for each subsequent offense.
Since it is legally a "crime" in CT, rather than a "violation", the judge hearing the case can impose other penalties, such as your loss of license, if mandated. Depends on your driving history, alcohol level, etc. If this was your first big stupid thing, you're (probably) just looking at some tremendous fines and fees (I looked them up on the net) totalling over $500, plus your points and insurance stuff. Welcome to the world, now grow up.

Gmgbo
12-14-2004, 02:17 PM
i just talked 2 the lawyer, he said bring him my report card(strait a's except for 1 b in my law class), tell him im in the fire department, tell him the car was only registered for 1 day, and tell him i have a landscaping business where i ned to drive around and ill be lucky to get off with a speeding ticket. hopefully it will happen. and i thought i was going to go straight to the judge but he said i talk 2 the procescutor and probably have to go back for another appearnce

SodKing
12-14-2004, 06:04 PM
by the way, isnt VW and porsche basicly the same?

Go drive a VW and then a Porsche and you tell me. ..

My opinion is, NO they are not the same...

Gmgbo
12-14-2004, 06:27 PM
this vw will deffinatly keep up with some of thos porsches... vr6 turbo and suspension....its for sale now 2 keep me out of anymore trouble

12-14-2004, 08:59 PM
coastal--how well does that valentine do against the trigger finger of a trooper with a laser or instantaneous on radar?

The V1 has saved my tail more times then I can say. It is worth every penny. As for your question, besides the V1 it is know how Radar and Ladar works and using other traffic to trigger the instant on. The V1 works well with Laser but you have to have vehicle in front of you. Also, the Laser has very limited range so you can usually see them.

Brian

12-14-2004, 09:07 PM
Remeber not so long ago when Montana had the daytime speed limit of "whatever is reasonable and prudent?" So what is reasonable and prudent. Grandma in a 63 Bug doing 85 or Mario Andretti in a Turbo Porsche doing 185?

Kelly's Landscaping
12-14-2004, 09:09 PM
I should not encourage you but I know a guy that has abused the system so badly I cannot believe it myself. He has had reckless driving charges against him many times in all cases they were dropped reason his lawyer was very good. He would demand to see the cops radar gun certification apparently only about 1 in 20 actually are certified to even use the radar. If they aren’t well its a nice loop hole. That said learn to drive slower.

JCA1
12-14-2004, 09:22 PM
start praying

geogunn
12-14-2004, 11:01 PM
COASTAL--you are partially correct in your technical answer and quite accurate in your procedural answer.

No. 1--RADAR..........you have no protection against a troopers itchy trigger finger on the remote...........except to be cloaked in traffic and even then, you don't want to be visibly the fastest car. late model units track multiple targets and can be selected to display the fastest.

No. 2--shoulder ranging laser--you may be illuminated at distances up to 1/2 mile.

kellys--if you are sure that guy skated on technicality.........then fine. could have happened if you say so. otherwise........it's an urban legend.

any cop that is uncertified to operate radar or operates an uncertified radar unit deserves to be terminated.

you simply can't do that because you loose your "probable cause".

if an uncertified operator or uncertified unit is used to make a stop and the guy has a bale of pot in the back seat........the guy walks in court! no "probable cause"! you open yourself to all kinds of civil liability by being uncertified or using an un certified unit............

and that's "just the facts ma'am!".

GEO

bblawncareprofessionals
12-15-2004, 12:23 AM
One more quick thing I found while skimming state laws for traffic violations in CT, related to the previous comment. CT does not appear to have any "certification" requirement for patrol officers, but the radar unit HAS to have been calibrated within the previous 10 days. Now, considering that most patrol cars are run through a morning inspection by the officer(s), it's most likely that the radar unit IS within requirements. Doesn't hurt to have the lawyer ask for it if you want to fight, but you can bet when you start trying to get off on technicalities, the prosecutor and judge will look for the same on their side and the fine goes from the "usual" minimum to the maximum they can create.

12-15-2004, 06:36 AM
GEOGUN -

You are right. However, the Laser has to have a clear line of "light" to work. It also is based on how well the trooper aims the unit too. Therefore most agencies shoot it within 50 to 75 meters.

Radar, it always pays to know what type of gun they are using too. Certain manufactures clear state in their owners manuals that their gun will not meet the judicial standards for court.

Then there is the case in Washington State that went to the Supreme Court which is rarely quoted but if done so correctly can have 70% of radar tickets tossed out. I will have to look to see if I still have it. It has been years since I needed it. It addresses the Doppler effect and educational skills of the troopers. Washington State now teaches a class to their troopers to avoid the dismissal of the tickets.

geogunn
12-15-2004, 11:40 AM
COASTAL--I would like to know what radar units are merchandised that state they will not meet jusicial standards. the only ones that I know of are the sports radars--cost avout $300 new.

and you are again correct, laser can't detect what it can't see. the most vulnerable part of an aproaching car is the reflective front license plate. but I beg to differ with you on the effective rannge and application distance. the point is perhaps, laser is so effective that the cops like to get lazy and they do love to suck that gas in catching a car for the takedown.

and on the washington state case--make sure you have the last word on that. the supreme court has heard many challenges in terms of speed interdiction VS. the public welfare.

the bottom line--when speed interdiction is done properly......which it should be done properly all the time or not at all......you get a 100% conviction rate.

GEO payup

lawncare3
12-15-2004, 09:36 PM
Get a lawer and send in the ticket.

12-15-2004, 10:16 PM
Check out:

http://www.speedtrap.org/

http://www.beatmyspeedingticket.com/speeding_ticket.html

12-15-2004, 10:31 PM
COASTAL--I would like to know what radar units are merchandised that state they will not meet jusicial standards. the only ones that I know of are the sports radars--cost avout $300 new.

and you are again correct, laser can't detect what it can't see. the most vulnerable part of an aproaching car is the reflective front license plate. but I beg to differ with you on the effective rannge and application distance. the point is perhaps, laser is so effective that the cops like to get lazy and they do love to suck that gas in catching a car for the takedown.

and on the washington state case--make sure you have the last word on that. the supreme court has heard many challenges in terms of speed interdiction VS. the public welfare.

the bottom line--when speed interdiction is done properly......which it should be done properly all the time or not at all......you get a 100% conviction rate.

GEO payup

In court, radar suppliers and radar enforcers raise their right hands and swear that police radar never makes mistakes. If you have a radar ticket, you’re guilty.
But when the court is in recess and those same radar suppliers are pitching new equipment to those same enforcers, you hear a different story. Kustom Signals, Inc., of Lenexa, Kansas, has been making speed radars for about 30 years. In touting its new TruTrak feature, Kustom says “…TruTrak eliminates common speed anomalies such as combined speeds, splitting speeds and shadowing."
“Anomalies” is the salesman’s term for “errors.”
The errors Kustom admits to are as old as moving radar itself. In a test of radar units (http://copradar.com/preview/chapt5/ch5d1.html) in 1980, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration identified “shadowing” as a common problem with moving radars. A few years later, the Texas Department of Public Safety produced a comprehensive training manual in which it warned of “Vehicle Interference Error,” an umbrella category that includes “shadowing” and other errors.

Taken from http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt7.asp

For the unit that the manufacturer will not back in court, Kustom Signals KR-11. It is right there in the owners manual.

exmarkdude
12-15-2004, 10:53 PM
This isn't Dave Letterman is it? Seriously tell the the judge or prosecutor that if you go less thann 100 mph the car will blow up and maybe Kneau Reves will save you and you will live happily ever after!

geogunn
12-16-2004, 12:13 AM
COASTAL--NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! plueeze don't quote a 24 year old radar study against current technology!!!

there isn't much in terms of technology that is 24 years old that can be discussed in terms of todays technology.

want a non RADAR example? how about that computer you are reading this on. I rest my case without getting "technical"

battags
12-16-2004, 12:23 AM
Get an attorney, that is the only answer you need!!! Do not wait, when you get to the court date it is already too late. A good attorney can make things like this go away.

No way will I go into a court room with any chance of a risk to my driving privileges without an attorney.

No, a good attorney gets his chunk of the pie and makes the offender think that he got a good deal!

Brian

ElephantNest
12-16-2004, 12:40 AM
I got nailed for 65 mph in a 20 mph zone on my bike a few years ago, cost me $250.00 for the fine, went to jail, but never lost my license. Here, anything more than 20 mph over the limit they can take you to jail. I was on my street, but a few blocks away from my house, so I just slowed down and kept going until I reached my house. It pissed them off, but I knew I was going to jail, and I didn't want my bike towed.

battags
12-16-2004, 12:47 AM
In court, radar suppliers and radar enforcers raise their right hands and swear that police radar never makes mistakes. If you have a radar ticket, you’re guilty.
But when the court is in recess and those same radar suppliers are pitching new equipment to those same enforcers, you hear a different story. Kustom Signals, Inc., of Lenexa, Kansas, has been making speed radars for about 30 years. In touting its new TruTrak feature, Kustom says “…TruTrak eliminates common speed anomalies such as combined speeds, splitting speeds and shadowing."
“Anomalies” is the salesman’s term for “errors.”
The errors Kustom admits to are as old as moving radar itself. In a test of radar units (http://copradar.com/preview/chapt5/ch5d1.html) in 1980, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration identified “shadowing” as a common problem with moving radars. A few years later, the Texas Department of Public Safety produced a comprehensive training manual in which it warned of “Vehicle Interference Error,” an umbrella category that includes “shadowing” and other errors.

Taken from http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt7.asp

For the unit that the manufacturer will not back in court, Kustom Signals KR-11. It is right there in the owners manual.

I finally got to the end of this thread and read your posts, CoastalGreenscapes. It seems to me that you are one of the people that I LOVE going up against in court the most. The ones that think they know all the 'shortcuts' and can get away with doing wrong. The bottom line is that you know you did wrong, just admit it.

Nobody uses a KR-11 anymore. The LTI 20-20 has tagged speeders up to 3100' for me and the Applied Concepts Stalker Dual SL has front, rear, moving, AND same direction radar. I know it well as I am an instructor. By the way, I know of no officer who "calibrates" thier radar. We do "calibration checks". Lastly, the courts have held that officers do not need to testify as to the technology of the radar unit, dopler effect, sign/cosign error (which actually reduces target speed), etc. but to simply testify that they radar or laser device was used in accordance wit the manufactures specs and their training in the tool.

Get your facts straight if you are going to argue the point. Or better yet, try obeying the law.

Brian

bobbygedd
12-16-2004, 01:08 AM
is driving a priviledge? :dizzy: :dizzy:

txlawnking
12-16-2004, 04:57 AM
But I just can't stop myself.. GET OFF THE KIDS REAR! How many of ya'll have never sped, or broken other traffic laws?

I'd bet honestly none of You ( including myself :rolleyes: ). I agree that what Gmbo did was foolish, But he's got a mommy and daddy to gnaw on this rear about this for the rest of his life.

Bobby, at least in TX, it unfortunatly IS a "Privelege" to drive on the roads that we ALL pay for..

I live near the city with the highest ticket writing/conviction rate in the country.. Houston, TX. ( Thank the Lord I don't live IN H-town anymore! ) Even with all the "expertise" the police can muster ever need, the "man" is defeatable, if you want to spend the $$$..

I'll Tell a short story to inspire the kid to fight it: My Cousin, now 24, has had over 70 tickets since he began driving @ 16.. Know how many have stuck on his record? Like 12.. How? Bux and Lawyers. In Harris county, there are the following Police entities, all capable of writing tickets: DPS ( statey ), County, HPD, Metro ( a police force operated by a private company ) Constables, Marshalls, and a whole slew of little towns that have their own PD's that are encircled within Houston, or the County.. My point is, There are attorneys that specialize in Tickets, My cousin's atty, has gotten his rear out of some major slings ( Including a meley involving my cuz running over a Motorcycle Cop leading a funeral that didn't have his emergency flashers/sirens on as he crossed an intersection to halt traffic). Some times, an attorney will suggest a " donation " to the Sherriffs dept/ PD? whatever.. Often, this will apease the man..

Sorry for the long winded sermon, kid. Just get a Lawyer and deal with your consequences.

geogunn
12-16-2004, 06:58 AM
is driving a priviledge?

WEASEL--according to the legal code of new jerkey it is.

they grant the privlidge, they claim they can deny the privilidge.

TX--70 citations in 8 years?

that is pretty incredible.

only 12 reflected in his driving record?

that is an average of about 9 citations per year.

this just seems to be too incredible to believe. did he kill the motor cop?

you said" I'll Tell a short story to inspire the kid to fight it:

that is pretty pixx poor advice, IMHO. I'd think you'd tell him to just slow the heck down.

Garden Panzer
12-16-2004, 08:59 AM
What about the kid who just smoked a joint and pulls out in front of you? (after all, it is perfectly legal in Amsterdam, right?)

12 states have legalized poco=lolo to some extent...
Speed limits are so Amerikan, needing govt. to look out for us, seems like countries that don't have speed limits, or Montanna, have less cops, and fewer crashes.... Germany doesn't seem to have trouble with speed, why should we?
You should tell that judge you are a political prisoner, one who is in protest of the oppression of motorists, and you are sick and tired of taxpayers footing the bill for radar guns and the like, all while real crime goes on, oh I guess real crime pays a cut to the man so THAT'S ok.....
you as a taxpayer bought the road and should feel free to use it how you see fit....
:waving:

txlawnking
12-16-2004, 11:31 AM
TX--70 citations in 8 years?

that is pretty incredible.

only 12 reflected in his driving record?

that is an average of about 9 citations per year.

this just seems to be too incredible to believe. did he kill the motor cop?

you said"

that is pretty pixx poor advice, IMHO. I'd think you'd tell him to just slow the heck down.

Geo, Thankfully for him, he did not kill the Motor cop, but he did severly injure him. I'm surprised they didn't crucify him ( Unfortunately, what I said about the cuz is true, he is that stupid!). As to giving the kid lousy advice, You could be right. I posted the story about my cousin ( Who I don't condone of, and even I consider a traffic menace, which is saying a lot ), so show that with enough money, you can just about get off of anything..

BTW, If, and that's a big IF, I had done what Gmbo did, I would retain an attorney immedieatly. The reason I didn't deride the guy is I've been in his shoes before.. And I didn't take him on to raise, like I said, He's got folks of his own that can lecture him on the foolishness of his actions. I was just trying to help the kid. :help:

As an aside Geo, earlier this year, Texas adopted the point system used in other states for years, which will put the brakes on my Cuz's lousy driving in a hurry...

Gmgbo
12-16-2004, 03:08 PM
thanks for the support, its nice after reading 75 posts of my mom and dad talking :dizzy: i talked 2 the lawyer he said go up by myself with my letter from the fire chief and from the pizza place i deliver for ...its on the 27th soo ill let u guys know

bobbygedd
12-16-2004, 03:31 PM
thanks for the support, its nice after reading 75 posts of my mom and dad talking :dizzy: i talked 2 the lawyer he said go up by myself with my letter from the fire chief and from the pizza place i deliver for ...its on the 27th soo ill let u guys know
bring your toothbrush

skmodmsl
12-17-2004, 07:30 PM
That happened to me some years back. I went to court. Never saw the judge. Made deal with prosecuter. Paid a fine and it was reduced to speeding. I was charged with doing 90 in a 55.

lampeslawnservice
12-18-2004, 03:09 PM
All else fails, better invest in one fast mower. Hustler super Z, Dixie Chopper. I got clocked by my sheriff neighbor on my Super Z at 18 mph. 15 mph speed zone in my sub-division! lol

captaingreen
12-18-2004, 06:21 PM
Crime doesn't pay, unless it was a government run program.

Gmgbo
12-18-2004, 06:40 PM
That happened to me some years back. I went to court. Never saw the judge. Made deal with prosecuter. Paid a fine and it was reduced to speeding. I was charged with doing 90 in a 55.

what court did u go to?