PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Policy

SodKing
12-13-2004, 07:41 PM
Our smoking policy is to the effect:

*No Smoking in the warehouse nor on the warehouse grounds
*No smoking in company vehicles
*No smoking on client properties

Smoking is allowed during the approved breaks as long as it is not on, or in front of, a client property.

Basically, when we hire someone who smokes I tell them that now would be a good time to try to quit.

What is your policy on smoking?

Evan528
12-13-2004, 08:37 PM
I do not smoke if A client is outside or talking to me. I smoke and let my guys smoke in the trucks and on properties as long as they dont throw the butt on the property. Just my personal opinion but I just never looked at it as that big of a deal....after all we dig in the dirt for a living. :D

Shawns Lawns
12-13-2004, 08:41 PM
What if they chew tabacco can they spit on the property or in a can? To me it just seems unprofessional.

PLM-1
12-13-2004, 08:41 PM
i think it looks totally unprofessional. same goes for not wearing a shirt...unprofessional.

Mo Green
12-13-2004, 10:35 PM
I am an occasional smoker (a pack lasts me 2-3 weeks) and I never, ever, smoke on or around a customer's house. I think it's very unproffesional. I also agree with the not wearing a shirt comment. I always try to wear somewhat neat clothes.

chefdrp
12-13-2004, 10:56 PM
i am solo so i have no real policy. But i used to smoke. smoked for 18 years. I hate to see someone killing themselves.

hole in one lco
12-13-2004, 11:07 PM
I think you will see your trucks parked one house down from the property they are supposed be at. :)
lets get realistic hear smoking and no shirts are not the resin you lose accounts. So tattoos and piercing must be covered up to.

SodKing
12-13-2004, 11:14 PM
I doubt very much I would lose an account over smoking. However, I want my company to project a positive professional image, and smoking, in my opinion, does not project that image. Plus, I hate when I move trucks around the compound, the stench of cigarette smoke. I bought these trucks and they came with that new truck scent, I don't want that fouled be someones nasty personal, time wasting, habit.

That being said, my grandfather died of emphysema. you only have to see that once and you will do everything you know to stop people from smoking.

redoak77
12-13-2004, 11:18 PM
No smoking ever. Its easy to enforce b/c it is just me and i will never smoke!

Tobruk79
12-14-2004, 01:36 AM
Im a heavy smoker but I will do what I can to hide the fact from a customer, or anyone that will associate me with my business. X% of people think smokers are idiots. To help get the job I will present most honest, wholesome, nice young man image. I wont smoke on or near a customers property, or ash / butt out the window.

DALMlawn&landscaping
12-14-2004, 01:49 AM
my boss smokes all the time, you'll see him climbing up a tree with a lit cigarette and about half an inch of ash, and chain sawing down branches smoking. he'll be lighting one up 40 feet up a elm tree, and point out trees to clients using his cig as a pointer.

the point is, he has almost complete control of the richest zip codes in san antonio, and all these people don't seem to mind.

get a grip, if you can work and smoke, why not, i snuff and work, i actually work better with a lip full of copenhagen.

its isn't the smoking that should be monitored, its what they do while they smoke that should be the main concern.

JMO

Randy Scott
12-14-2004, 12:13 PM
No smoking in any company vehicle, trailer, etc.. No smoking on any client property. They can light up at the gas station (shows their intelligence), suppliers, etc.. I f'in hate the smell of cigarette smoke and therefore won't tolerate it any of my vehicles.
Apparently, Wisconsin has declared smoking an "addiction" and we have to let people take smoking breaks. They can be their regular scheduled breaks like any 8 hour job would have. My buddy worked for the DPW and that was an issue he had to deal with. It's a joke is what it is. So because someone doesn't have the willpower or intelligence to not directly try to kill themselves, or anyone near them, an employer has to be punished because of it.
Personally, my experience with employees and smoking, it's just a way to slow everyones progress and start a big 10 minute chit-chat session. Even those that don't smoke end up standing around doing nothing. So instead of a 10 minute stop at the gas station or supplier, it turns into a 20 minute stop.

KathysLGC
12-14-2004, 12:25 PM
I never could understand what smoking does for a person. My boss had a mild heart attack and was told to stop smoking. He quit cold turkey. i asked him if he missed smoking and he said no he misses going thru the motion. He said it was more of a habit then a need.

I don't smoke nor do i have employees. If i did they would smoke on there time off the job. If we stopped to eat some where then they can smoke in the parking lot. I don't support peoples habits.

PMLAWN
12-14-2004, 04:46 PM
No smoking on the job site if residential
If we are on a big job (1/2 or full day) they can smoke at the trailer as a break but cannot smoke as they work.

Drew Gemma
12-14-2004, 08:20 PM
I am a professional or atleast I try to be one. Collars on shirts uniforms for all no smoking period. beards are all right but must be well maintained. long hair up in the hat or no go. Basically I don't hire white trash. Hey I smoke cigars but I wait till the day is over. My business my rules if you don't like go work for someone else or start your own company. Am I right or not guys we work for ourselves for a reason. We like to be the boss.

DGI
12-14-2004, 09:18 PM
No wonder so many of you guys are solos. Hate Mexicans and hate smokers.

I'd be a pauper.

Gene $immons
12-14-2004, 10:04 PM
I'm with Sod King and Randy Scott

I don't mind if it is on a lunch break away from the customers property, but not while working and not in the trucks.

Critical Care
12-14-2004, 10:12 PM
When I worked for another company their policy was no smoking on company property, vehicles, and on clients property. For some reason it seemed as if no one paid attention to the rules and did it anyway. Guess these guys just felt, "screw the rules, I'm going to do it anyway."

One co-worker caught some bark on fire by accident with his cigarette at a clients home. Sniff, sniff, "Hey man, what's burning?"