PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Exhaust Bothering You...

snap12.5
12-13-2004, 07:52 PM
Does anyone get headaches from breathing exhaust all day??? Is it possible that it may cause memory loss??? My friend has mowed 8-10 hrs / day for several years and gets headaches often. Also it seems that his short term memory is fading quickly. I have asked him about it and he says that he has noticed that as well because he forgets things very quickly. (No, he doesnt do drugs). Does anyone know the long term repercussions of breathing fumes all day long?

HOMER
12-13-2004, 07:55 PM
Well, it can't be good for you! Isn't there a way he could hold the trimmer/edger that would allow him to breath fresh air? I smell it sometimes but not all day, I'd have to make a change if I did.

davechick12
12-13-2004, 07:59 PM
i am only part time and the exhaust does not effect me

Travis Followell
12-13-2004, 09:08 PM
The exaust from one of my riding mowers comes right back into my face and i've breathed it for 3 or 4 hrs at a time and it hasn't bothered me but my my gets a headache as soon as she gets on it. I guess i'm used to it.

Turfdude
12-13-2004, 09:14 PM
Te only equipment that really bothers me is the exhaust from chainsaw type hedge trimmers. The exhaust almost always rises up in your face, causing eyes to tear and puts a bad taste in ones mouth.

ozzys cuts
12-13-2004, 09:21 PM
I think it bothers me but I forget. :dizzy:

sailinstud420
12-13-2004, 10:05 PM
i think its awesome, lol. THere is nothing better than the smell of a 19 kawai at 8 o'clock on a nice summers morn... No it hasn't ever gotten to me.

Sir mowsalot
12-13-2004, 10:23 PM
Does anyone get headaches from breathing exhaust all day??? Is it possible that it may cause memory loss??? My friend has mowed 8-10 hrs / day for several years and gets headaches often. Also it seems that his short term memory is fading quickly. I have asked him about it and he says that he has noticed that as well because he forgets things very quickly. (No, he doesnt do drugs). Does anyone know the long term repercussions of breathing fumes all day long?

Cant answer that with certainty, but it has got to also affect the respatory system. As a preventive thing, i would suggest wearing a filtered mask, but that is a pita, then again its better than problems hes having.

Envy Lawn Service
12-13-2004, 10:31 PM
I hate the gas exhaust smell. I get it on me from both the mower and the 2 cycle stuff. Engine location and exhaust exit play a big role in how much of it you smell in the field. The funny thing is I often don't recall smelling fumes in the field. But when I get home and go to pull my shirt off I realize my clothes are saturated in it.

On the other hand though, I love the smell of diesel exhaust.

JCW-G
12-13-2004, 10:41 PM
Exhaust has the same effect on the body as all the other carcinogens.
Check out (www.coalitionforcleanair.org) it tells everything you need to know.

snap12.5
12-14-2004, 09:07 PM
thanks for the replies. this is something that affects us all and it is something we all need to consider. i am wondering if breathing exhaust might have something to do with memory loss or a lower life expectancy. working around power equipment for 30 yrs probably cant be good.