PDA

View Full Version : Storage of Equipment

packerbacker
12-13-2004, 07:58 PM
Just wanted to get some input on where guys keep your equipment at. Do most of you have an office or rent a storage unit or do you keep it at your house? Let me know why you think what you is do is better.

AEW
12-13-2004, 08:02 PM
I would be afraid to leave any of my equipment anywhere else but my house. It all goes in my garage where I keep it locked...I even live out in a rural area 15 minutes from town...still every night lock my stuff up. No way I am chancing that much money in equipment. Just my opinion though...

PLM-1
12-13-2004, 08:28 PM
2 15x40 storage units! my boat in one and all my mowing stuff in the other.

Wells
12-13-2004, 08:31 PM
This is one of the advantages of having an enclosed trailer. The equipment stays at home, nice and secure and the garage stays equipment free. Plenty of room for other things to go in there and don't need to pay anyone storage unit fees.

Green Care
12-13-2004, 08:37 PM
garage kept always.

packerbacker
12-13-2004, 08:46 PM
For those that keep it in the garage do any of your nieghbors get mad seeing trailers on the property? Or having employees coming and going night and day?

TURF DOCTOR
12-13-2004, 08:51 PM
4 car garage at home and 2 box trailers.

specialtylc
12-13-2004, 09:09 PM
I live on 28 acres and so I dont have much of a neighbor problem. Equipment is kept in my 40 by 72 shop.

SodKing
12-13-2004, 09:10 PM
My warehouse

Turfdude
12-13-2004, 09:11 PM
We ave a 40X60 ADA shop w/ office, bath & mechanical room on 3/4 acre commercial property. Always best to keep business separate from home affairs.

gene gls
12-13-2004, 10:53 PM
I use a 3 car garage at one location and 1 bay of a 2 car garage at another location. I maintain these properties in exchange for the storage use. I also have a 2 gar garage at home that I work out of durning the season.

Gene

PaulJ
12-14-2004, 02:27 AM
my situation is a bit different. I live by a small town (300)about a 20 min drive form the small city (20000) where I do most of my work. I don't have anyhting but a open pole shed at my house. I rent two 10 x 20 storage units on the edge of the dity where I work. I can just barely back the mowing trailer into one and I keep the fert and spray and other equipemnt and some hand tools in the other. I also keep a small trailer at home and a few things I only use occasionnaly. I bring the mowing rig home about once a week to do my yard and a couple that I do in town here. I like being able to just back the whole trailer in at night and close the door. It's more secure than It would be at my house and I don't havae to pull the trailer down the highway home and back every day.

Gene $immons
04-12-2005, 07:50 PM
How many square feet? And what is the cost? I'm curious.

Here - 1800 sq ft - $555/month includes large garage door, Large office area, toilet. I pay water and electric. I also pay renters insurance and alarm company.

What are some other set-ups and price?

Green lawns
04-12-2005, 07:52 PM
We keep all equipment in both our barn and garage.

robertsturf
04-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Hey Packer. I keep my equipment in a nice size storage unit, 12 x 24, and pay $175.00 per month. That allows me to keep everything on the trailer for the next days work. This is what I use until I lease/buy a bigger building.

slicksilverado01
04-12-2005, 08:16 PM
In the winter I crowed the stuff in a small yard barn. all mowing season It all sits on the trailer outside.(except hedge trimmers and chainsaws) everything has a lock on it. it sits under some big maple trees. next to my house. I tarp it when it rains, but most of the time I just leave it open. I live 10 miles out of town and own 1.5 acres. and I can care less of what the neighbors think.

Lux Lawn
04-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Right now everything is at home but it is getting a little crowded.The problem is I can't seem to find anything close to home at a decent price.I did find 1 place this week 1210 sq. feet for $550 plus utilities but it comes with a 3000 sq. foot office and they will not separate the 2 unless the office goes first then I can get the shop.The place would be perfect for me 5 minutes down the road.

slicksilverado01
04-12-2005, 08:41 PM
Right now everything is at home but it is getting a little crowded.The problem is I can't seem to find anything close to home at a decent price.I did find 1 place this week 1210 sq. feet for $550 plus utilities but it comes with a 3000 sq. foot office and they will not separate the 2 unless the office goes first then I can get the shop.The place would be perfect for me 5 minutes down the road.

at one point I was looking for a place that had shop, office with utilities... I was going to live in it... cant get any cheaper :p

edit unless if you stay at home with your parents (cant get cheaper than that) :rolleyes:

mkwl
04-12-2005, 08:52 PM
I have a 20x35 barn in the back corner of my yard. It was built by my grandfather in 1946, when they lived in the house I now live in (we have since done many additions, and our house is now valued at $1.7 million, yes $1.7 million). Anyway, it works really well, because most of my equipment fits in it, and I have about 1/5 acre (our entire property is 3.4 acres) behind it to store materials and other stuff (wheelbarrows, barrels etc.). I keep it looking nice and neat, and since I maintain all of my neighbours yards, no one complains.

br549oicu8
04-12-2005, 09:25 PM
We just finished constructing a 2400 square foot commercial structure in an Industrial Zoned area here. Bought the lot 2 years ago...saved like crazy...and put it up with no payment!!!!! Taxes of course.....
Had a local engineer design it and I was my own general contractor...a little experience behind me..huh huh...20 years Building/Mechanical Inspector fo the local jurisdiction.
With my position it was of utmost importance to get out of the neighborhood. We haev 6 Fords...2 enclosed and 2 open trailers...mowers...seeders...aerators....etc.....toom uch for the residential area!

cleancutccl
04-12-2005, 10:26 PM
I just sealed a deal with a my neighbors high school friend that live in the country about 4 miles away. She's a widow and needs some help now and then. I get to use a 40x30 shop that completely locks up, and I just have to mow here property each week. Its about 2 acres wide open, might take me an hour and a half with trimming. The property is completely fenced except for the entrance road, so the only way in is to drive right by her house. Can't get much safer than that.

Todd's lawncare
04-12-2005, 10:27 PM
rent it all then sublet the office . Office space around here gos for 1 a sq foot

wiselawns
04-12-2005, 11:59 PM
Enclosed trailor.

Mo Green
04-13-2005, 12:10 AM
I used to keep my trailer parked in my driveway. My wife put up a huge fuss about it. She said it made us look like white trash :cry: . So I have since rented a storage space. Probably for the better, since i didn't think it would be a good idea to leave my new Exmark in the driveway. I'm hoping to get an enclosed trailer soon. I figure with what I'm paying for the storage each month, it would pay for itself quickly.

northwest lawn
04-13-2005, 12:19 AM
i have 1.5 acres all equipemnt stays here also run big firewood sales have logs stacked up all over the place all residential around us. no complaints yet and if they do f*** them its commercial property nothing they can do

richard coffman
04-13-2005, 01:52 AM
i keep mine in a high security storage facility. 12x12x30. i don't worry about my equipmet when i leave, i know it'll be there in the morning waiting for me.