PDA

View Full Version : Wright Stander Rutting

jhawk71
12-13-2004, 08:20 PM
I have a 48" stander, and as I got farther into the season I began to see more and more turf damage from the tires. I alternate my pattern every week. But it still is causing ruts. Also if I make a turn around a large trees, I can see rutting and turf ware even on large circles. I'm 6' 2", 200lbs, so me and the mower weigh in at roughly 950lbs.
Also with the bagger with extender could add another 50-100lbs depending whats in it.

I am considering going back to a walkbehind unit. The exmark turf tracer is about 300lbs lighter. Will this solve my problems or am I doing something wrong.

Any help is appreciated!
Jhawk71

snap12.5
12-13-2004, 08:29 PM
how old is the stander?? what is the width of the tires on that model?? i know that the new standers have 10" tires which are supposedly safe enough so that rutting doesnt occur.

j fisher
12-13-2004, 08:32 PM
This time of year, the ground stays wetter and softer longer after rains because of the lower temps. In august when it's 90-100 degrees, the ground is drier. When the temps fall to the 50's or below, it takes longer for the ground to dry out. Also, in my area, seasonal grass is dormant, and does not spring back like it does in the growing season.

jhawk71
12-13-2004, 08:39 PM
The stander is an '02, which I believe has the 10" tires. Is there any way to avoid rutting when the ground is soft in the fall?
Thanks
Jhawk71

snap12.5
12-13-2004, 08:47 PM
you may have to use that scag 36" when its wet. i am hoping that wright will soon make a change on their standers so that u have the option of walking behind it when it's wet. this may alleviate rutting since your body weight is not adding to the mower's weight. we'll see

packerbacker
12-13-2004, 08:53 PM
I have a 48" stander, and as I got farther into the season I began to see more and more turf damage from the tires. I alternate my pattern every week. But it still is causing ruts. Also if I make a turn around a large trees, I can see rutting and turf ware even on large circles. I'm 6' 2", 200lbs, so me and the mower weigh in at roughly 950lbs.
Also with the bagger with extender could add another 50-100lbs depending whats in it.

I am considering going back to a walkbehind unit. The exmark turf tracer is about 300lbs lighter. Will this solve my problems or am I doing something wrong.

Any help is appreciated!
Jhawk71

I had the same problem, i demoed one last summer when my 48 went into the shop for 2 weeks. It was a 52 inch Wright Stander. Im about the same size as you to 6'3 and 225 lbs. Not only did i get bad ruts in the grass but i also left black tracks all over some of the driveways by turning around on them instead of the lawn. I love the machines but i dont know if i would ever by one for those reasons.

jhawk71
12-13-2004, 09:17 PM
Packerbacker,
I know the feeling of leaving black marks on the driveways, I've had that problem since this summer. Fortunately my customers don't mind.
Jhawk71

Itsgottobegreen
12-13-2004, 10:13 PM
Try this slow down when going around trees and making turns. You won't tear the grass.

Any machine will rut if the ground is really wet. I have seen greens mowers and light weight fairway mowers leave ruts.

Don't spin on one wheel when turning on black top. Do a Y turn. Also what tires did the machine have. Makes a difference.

packerbacker
12-14-2004, 09:00 AM
Packerbacker,
I know the feeling of leaving black marks on the driveways, I've had that problem since this summer. Fortunately my customers don't mind.
Jhawk71

Mine minded. I had to powerwash 4 different driveways with a mixture of water and concrete cleaner. No matter what i did i couldnt make a turn without leaving a skid mark. Like i said , they are great mowers but those are the only reasons i wouldnt buy one.

KathysLGC
12-14-2004, 09:30 AM
I've been having trouble with my TTHP leaving ruts. My Ferris has huge wheels and never leaves ruts and it's about 900lbs by it's self! I'm wondering if it's the new tires on my TTHP that are just gripping the turf more then my slightly worn out Ferris tires. Make sure your front castors are greased and not cuasing any strain on the mowers turn. Do you have anti scalp wheels on the deck? Are they dragging? What i have to do is a 3 point turn. With my Ferris I didn't have to. I could just zero turn with no problems.

KathysLGC
12-14-2004, 09:39 AM
The marks on the driveway are a pain. A combo of the wet grass/soft tires on a hot driveway will all most always leave a mark and the sun beating down on it will make it stay there for a while. One customer i had, had slate down as stepping stones and not unintentionally I left tire marks on them. I tried to ignore it and hope the customer didn't notice and it would go away when it rained..... Nope. It was 3 weeks and they where still there. Customer questioned me about it and I told them I was waiting to see if the rain would wash it out. I ended up bringing a 5 gal bucket of water and simple green solution with a scrub brush and got them out.