PDA

View Full Version : weather bug

chefdrp
12-13-2004, 10:54 PM
Has anyone heard any bad things about using weatherbug.com? I heard it is a spyware program and could be bad. Is this true?

Envy Lawn Service
12-13-2004, 11:10 PM
Hear the same thing. Spyware and Adware.

Just go to the National Weather Service web page, enter your info, get your weather, the create a shortcut on your desktop. Easy, detailed and useful.

I stopped using the weather channel site. Lots of the same type of stuff attached to that site.

BryPaulD
12-13-2004, 11:12 PM
yep. I had it, got pop-ups and e-mails from them. I dumped it. I just have weather.com in my favorites for quick reference. Cool too, you can look at forcasts for the whole month.

Harleyboy52
12-13-2004, 11:16 PM
I use to have it and liked it very well for the weather, but they send you emails daily wanting you to buy something. It's free if you sign up with a sponsor but then the sponsor sends all kinds of stuff to your email. It does have a lot of spyware with it. I took it off my computer.

fga
12-13-2004, 11:21 PM
i can't live without it. for a couple of years now, and have never had a pop up from it. occasionally, they ask you to choose a sponsor, but that's only for thebanner on top of the page while you're viewing. i get the best radar shots of my area. i know exactly whenthe snow is done 5 miles away and i can get started. never got any emails either... maybe its the way you have set up, to recieve emails from them. best out there, and i have tried alot.

grass_cuttin_fool
12-13-2004, 11:21 PM
when I had it there was a bunch of pop ups and junk that made it aggravating now I use wunder ground weather. is my weather tonight and to get yours just type in your zipcode near the top and you get a 5 day forecast along with radar and zoom capabilities http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?num=4&scale=0.75&delay=100&noclutter=0&showlabels=1&ID=FCX&lat=36.95257568&lon=-79.36271667&label=Gretna%2C+VA&type=N0R&zoommode=pan&map.x=400&map.y=240&centerx=323&centery=193&prevzoom=zoom

Lawnchoice
12-13-2004, 11:23 PM
You will get pop up galore! I wouldn't recommend it as I have used it only for a day and realized they install spyware on your machine as well as adware.

Go to weather.com and you can save your town and get reports right from the homepage. Or use accuweather for the doppler.

Turf Medic
12-13-2004, 11:49 PM
Used to use it, liked it but after a few months the computer started locking up on a regular basis. Deleted the weather bug and no problems since then.

JCW-G
12-14-2004, 12:42 AM
DO NOT GET "WEATHER BUG", IT'S A PAIN IN THE AZZ. Go to
(www.weatherchannel.com) and get it so it's on your pc all the time.

tiedeman
12-14-2004, 12:45 AM
I use about 4 to 5 different weather sites

weather.com, the national weather service, accuweather, weatherunderground....

Shuter
12-14-2004, 12:50 AM
I have used it for two years with no problem.

dvmcmrhp52
12-14-2004, 12:52 AM
Don't do it.

1MajorTom
12-14-2004, 12:55 AM
Don't do it.

Good advice.

Bray
12-14-2004, 12:59 AM
They used to be a spyware program until all the pc magazines and such came down on them. I have had it running for about two years now with nothing bad. The only popups you get are occasionally from the sponsor you choose. I tried several others and weatherbug to me was the best. No problems with this weatherbug at all but the first one sucked it was definitely a spyware program.

Mico Landscaping design
12-14-2004, 04:02 AM
I look at weather bug as much as i do lawnsite :) almost everyday ... weather bug has been good to be for 3 years now .. :cool2:

arborist-28
12-14-2004, 04:20 AM
weather bug has worked great for me ..no problems with it ...I have dial up and it loads fast so I use it no pop ups no adware ... the old weather bug was bad ...the new and improved weather bug is awesome ...c

Richard Martin
12-14-2004, 05:20 AM
There is only one name in radar. www.my-cast.com

All weather sites, with the exception of a few tv stations that have their own radar, use the same NWS provided radar data. It's what they do with the data after they get it that makes the difference. Mycast seems to do the best job of removing ground clutter and allows you to set your location as the center of the screen marked with a plus sign. You can also pick other locations that will also be marked. It's free to sign up. No pop-ups, no ads.