PDA

View Full Version : Using PDA for application records

LwnmwrMan22
12-13-2004, 11:40 PM
Just wondering if anyone uses a PDA of any sort for keeping records of applications, then goes home and prints off a hard copy for the Dept. of Ag, customers, etc.???

Wondering if there's a feasability to this, trying to keep the amount of actual paper down in the truck.

Anyone???

Thanks,
Jeremy

E-9 Lawncare
12-13-2004, 11:51 PM
I use them at my present employer. Its a rather large company and prints out a report at the end of the day with customer name and number, app done, size of property and how much time we spent on the lawn. It really only cuts down on the paperwork at the end of the day. I guess it depends on the software you use as well.

James Cormier
12-14-2004, 10:25 AM
Just wondering if anyone uses a PDA of any sort for keeping records of applications, then goes home and prints off a hard copy for the Dept. of Ag, customers, etc.???

Wondering if there's a feasability to this, trying to keep the amount of actual paper down in the truck.

Anyone???

Thanks,
Jeremy

22, nice to see you around again.

This summer I bought a kyocera smart phone
http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/7135-smartphone/
to replace my cell phone and to have a pda that runs palm software. It came with quickword, and quickspread sheet,and a scheduling program that works very well and is easy to set up.

This winter Im starting to play with it more and will be using it much more for business purposes. I dont think it will reduce paper work too much, because I dont think I will be able to generate invoices and print them out from it, but I could be wrong,

If anyone could recommend cool programs that are palm please link them here.

seven-up
12-14-2004, 10:34 AM
Jeremy & James,

I'm pretty sure there is Word and Excel for PalmPilots. Sort of a MS office for palms. Another option, would be quick office http://www.quickoffice.com/ , you can do most things that you can with msoffice. edit docs, etc...

John

LwnmwrMan22
12-15-2004, 06:28 PM
22, nice to see you around again.

This summer I bought a kyocera smart phone
http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/7135-smartphone/
to replace my cell phone and to have a pda that runs palm software. It came with quickword, and quickspread sheet,and a scheduling program that works very well and is easy to set up.

This winter Im starting to play with it more and will be using it much more for business purposes. I dont think it will reduce paper work too much, because I dont think I will be able to generate invoices and print them out from it, but I could be wrong,

If anyone could recommend cool programs that are palm please link them here.

Yeah, I'm around, just not on here so much. Busting my butt trying to get 50 cords of wood split for next year.

Anyways, I'm not looking so much for something that'll help me to keep track of invoices and such, I'm already set up there.

I'm just thinking more along the lines of keeping track of the date, how much applied, temp, wind speed, that much, so I don't have to have the note book in the truck.

I realize that it's probably more trouble than it's worth, but I'm trying to tie it in with my firewood deliveries as well, where I can type in a clients info when I deliver the wood, where they wanted it stacked, so on.

Figured if I could find a PDA or something that would keep it all in one neat setup, then when I get home at night, be able to download onto the reg. computer.