PDA

View Full Version : What fungus is this????

sildoc
12-14-2004, 02:52 PM
I have a lawn that has this fungus. I thought it was powdery mildew and pythium blight. but it is an odd time of year for it. It has been unseasonalbly warm in the mid 60s and very wet.
The local grange said it was slime mold but I find that hard to belive since the blades of grass are spotting and turning brown..
Sorry about the picture it is the best one I could get.

out4now
12-14-2004, 03:39 PM
Can't immediately tell from the picture. Wish you had a better one. Have you taken a sample to a cooperative extension office?

sildoc
12-14-2004, 03:51 PM
Our local extention is closed for now and the closest one is 150 miles. I am heading up there in 3 weeks with soil samples so if I can't figure it out by then I will take it then.
I have had several of the other LCO's stop by and we are all a little unsure of what it really is.
I guess I can just treat as pythium blight and powdery mildew as a preventitive but if it is just slime mold it is a waste of customers money.

tiedeman
12-14-2004, 05:55 PM
I can't tell what you are really trying to show, maybe its the photo or not, but it looks like powdery mildew on the blades

tiedeman
12-14-2004, 05:57 PM
now that I read your post, it probably is powdery mildew. You said temps are in the 60's and wet. Has this being going on for a while now without a break? (I am talking about the weather) Is it kind of overcast there as well?

sildoc
12-14-2004, 06:11 PM
now that I read your post, it probably is powdery mildew. You said temps are in the 60's and wet. Has this being going on for a while now without a break? (I am talking about the weather) Is it kind of overcast there as well?
Yep over cast lows in the 40's and highs in low 60s high 50's for about a week.
That is what I thought, Powdery mildew. It is most prominent where dog feces has been picked up. I have another customer complaining about a white fungi growing in her lawn recently I am guessing it is the same but won't get over there till tommarrow. It has been raining off and on and everything is saturated so it doesn't surprise me that this is happening with the unseasonable temps that we are having.
Thing that gets me is that no one had any fungus problems this whole year untill now.

treedoc1
12-14-2004, 06:50 PM
Google" Helminthosporium leaf spot". Go to a non Florida site to get out of warm season grass references.

This time of year, you have melting out occurring.

This is different from powdery mildew, which you might also have in areas with poor air circulation. PM won't damage the turf...mostly cosmetic on vigorous turf. Melting out will damage more and might need a fungicide treatment.