PDA

View Full Version : What are good questions to ask when buying?

Gene $immons
12-14-2004, 10:00 PM
Suppose you want to go out and buy a new mower, a rider, and have a budget of around $6000. What are some quality questions to ask the dealer.

I'll be the first to admit, that I'm not a "motor expert" I know how to run a business and so forth, but when it comes to engines, I pay someone else to fix stuff.

Just wondering what you all look for and what you avoid on stuff like this.

Thanks for any input!

fastlane
12-14-2004, 10:25 PM
What parts does the dealer stock? (I want things fixed today. Not next week.) If he does not stock the major parts for the model you're interested in look at another model or another dealer.

jimslawns
12-14-2004, 10:33 PM
Buy the best you can, Your dealer is what will make your equipment.

You will want to buy the unit with the most HP available (so if they offer a 15 & 23, get the 23

Does the dealer offer you a demo machine if yours is down.

Look at their service area!!!! does it appear to be organized???

What are other LCO's in your area using..... That will generally tell you what people are getting and who is servicing em'

If they are trying to push off a machine on you that they only have this one left...there is a reason they have that one left.

Does your dealer try to suit your needs or theirs???

Smalltimer1
12-14-2004, 10:42 PM
Suppose you want to go out and buy a new mower, a rider, and have a budget of around $6000. What are some quality questions to ask the dealer.

I'll be the first to admit, that I'm not a "motor expert" I know how to run a business and so forth, but when it comes to engines, I pay someone else to fix stuff.

Just wondering what you all look for and what you avoid on stuff like this.

Thanks for any input!

What kind of mower are you looking for? There's the conventional tractor style (my personal favorite), ZTR, Walk Behind, Stander, and Rear Engine Riders (my least favorite).

My first choice would be John Deere for garden tractors, I'd say go with a GX-245, it's in your price range, and its durable, plus its got the best dealer support network of all the OEM's out there. they've been in it for over 40 years and know how to build a good mower.