PDA

View Full Version : Discouraging News... any thoughts?

newbomb
12-14-2004, 10:08 PM
A friend of mine stopped into the rental center where I work full time. He has been a mower and landscape contractor for at least 20 years. I mentioned I am trying to go out on my own this year and he advised against it. He says there are a number of Mexican crews out there who have left companies like Brickman to go out on their own, and are just killing local landscapers with under bidding. I do mostly mowing so I dont compete with him. I trust his word but I still think there should be a lot of residential work out there. Any thoughts?

Gene $immons
12-14-2004, 10:15 PM
There is plenty of work if you are determined.

I wouldn't let some guy discourage your dream. Only the strong survive.

hulan2
12-14-2004, 10:25 PM
Right On Gene!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Evan528
12-14-2004, 10:38 PM
If they are from Brickman then they probly arent even here legally anymore. Brick brings in just about all of there mexican workforce on H2B Visas. On an H2B visa if you leave the company who has sponserd your visa for any reason you are to be deported.

Mo Green
12-14-2004, 10:39 PM
I think you will be fine. As long as you provide excellent customer service, you wont have to worry about the competition.

newbomb
12-14-2004, 10:49 PM
Thanks all. That's kind of what I figured. It's just a big step.

bobbygedd
12-14-2004, 10:52 PM
don't quit your other job. the future of this industry is doomed

smlavin
12-14-2004, 10:57 PM
That's good bobby...always the encourager! :dizzy:

bobbygedd
12-14-2004, 10:58 PM
That's good bobby...always the encourager! :dizzy:
well, does he want the truth, or a lie?

AEW
12-14-2004, 11:00 PM
How is the future doomed? It is just like any other service provider...and there are only going to be more yards...The city I live in last year alone built over 10000 houses. And I live in a smaller city. Thats alot of damn yards in one year time

bobbygedd
12-14-2004, 11:04 PM
the pesticide end of it will be all but gone soon enough. also, technology causes more and more lawn boys every year. with easy start up cost, and no major knowledge needed, i bet in 5 years, guys will be cutting lawns below 1980's rates. they are doing it now...

CharlieBingo
12-14-2004, 11:27 PM
Bobby's right! The only hope lies in laws being enforced: licenses,insurances, chemical certifications etc. In my town laws are not enforced; ironically only legit LCO's are policed and tormented for nonsense. I disagree with "do good work and don't worry about the next guy". If you're paying $25g for workers comp and $45g for other licenses and insurance and the other guy is not, your dead in the water! I know gusys no lic.,ins. or work. comp. that spray have several crews and giant signs with there names on it and they are never bothered. It's bizaar.

BOTURF
12-14-2004, 11:37 PM
I know iam going to piss someone off i am sure but here in this Good old United States we are losing manufacturing jobs by the thousands to countries like mexico but here we are letting them in our country to work our jobs and live off of us, i just dont know something wrong with this picture.There are alot of them alright i guess but some of them feel like we owe them something and some will steal ya blind if you dont watch out for them .

GrassMasterNC
12-15-2004, 12:09 AM
Send Bill O'Reilly an email...he's all over this issue.

out4now
12-15-2004, 12:21 AM

Look on the bright side. At least it will go slowly and painfully.

richard coffman
12-15-2004, 01:26 AM
here in utah, the mexican population is about 20% and growing. I hate the idea of illegal mexican taking the work of others.I don't have a problem with the ones that are good people and make a living, but if they feel there country isn't giving them what they want, mabe they need to do an uprising of there own in there own country. And don't get me started on that whole illegal driver license thing, I think that's a whole bunch of cow dung. This is america and here, we speak english!start learning!!!!!!!

this is just my opinion and my 2 cents. :angry:

Respectfully,

Richard/Owner

cutnedge
12-15-2004, 01:50 AM
Newbomb,
Whether you want to hear it or not, there is a lot of truth in what bobby is saying. A real life scenario this past summer: I'm mowing a customer of mine. I'm blowing off the driveway when I am approached by the next door neighbor wanting a quote. She didn't recognize me, and I didn't tell her so, but I used to cut her yard in the 70's when Mom would drop me off there.Same woman, same yard,same landscape. She about fainted when I gave her my quote. Needless to say, I didn't get the yard. A couple of weeks later I'm at my customers again and there is a guy mowing next door. Fancy equipment--the whole nine yards. We finished at about the same time and started to BS. Come to find out--- he is getting the exact same price I was getting almost 30 years ago!
As for the future of this biz, I'm not sure what to expect, but to me it isn't favorable. Not directed at you, but it's true---low start up costs,no pre-requisites,instant title(lco or professional)---there is, and always will be, lowballers at the current level of admissions into this industry.
Sure, there are alot of guys on this site that are making a good living as a lco/landscaper, but, as a whole, they are the exception.With determination and the proper business/marketing applications for your area, hopefully you'll become one of them. But I'd worry a little about the competition---they ain't goin' away.

richard coffman
12-15-2004, 02:04 AM
Here in the state of Utah, you need a contractor license if you want to install landscaping.you don't need one if you are into landscape maintenance,or lawn care/fertilizing... is it the same in other states?? What if they made it where you had to be a licensed contractor to do mowing/fertilizing or landscape maintenance?? I think this would help weed out some of those who don't do the industry any good. your thoughts please on this...

Respectfully,

Richard/Owner :D :D :D :D

promower
12-15-2004, 02:35 AM
Every business has competition otherwise everyone would work for themselves. With determination, good planning, and quality work your odds are just as good as anyone elses. Running a business is tough and most fail but thats why the rewards can be so much greater then any other career. When I started there was competition all over, stay focused at what your trying to accomplish. In the off season work on your business, planning for the future, new marketing, and line up more work for the next year. Theres a ton of work out there so you should be excited about getting started. Good luck

DFW Area Landscaper
12-15-2004, 03:20 AM
++++If they are from Brickman then they probly arent even here legally anymore. Brick brings in just about all of there mexican workforce on H2B Visas. On an H2B visa if you leave the company who has sponserd your visa for any reason you are to be deported.++++

True. But the social security card the worker gets doesn't expire or anything like that. Once you have a valid social security number, you can get a driver's license. Once you have both of those things, citizen or not, there is nothing you can't do in our country, with the possible exceptions of serving in the military, running for public office and voting...and I'm not even sure you couldn't do those things if you lied.

If someone asked you to prove you are a US citizen, how would you do that? My first impulse would be to show them my drivers license and social security card. I doubt the workers really even need the visa to cross the boarder once they have the other two credentials.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

YardPro
12-15-2004, 08:25 AM
I know iam going to piss someone off i am sure but here in this Good old United States we are losing manufacturing jobs by the thousands to countries like mexico but here we are letting them in our country to work our jobs and live off of us, i just dont know something wrong with this picture.There are alot of them alright i guess but some of them feel like we owe them something and some will steal ya blind if you dont watch out for them .

We are the ones cuasing this.
when you buy a TV do you buy the $300.00 chinese made tv or do you buy the $700 american made TV???
the industry follows consumers demands. We want cheaper products. the only way to provide this is to manufacture in countries with cheap labor.

Green-Pro
12-15-2004, 11:39 AM
America has been losing manufacturing jobs for years and the ones that remain are lowpaying i.e. the older workers that were hired in at twenty dollars an hour keep their wage while corporate has knocked wage of new hire back down to nine dollars an hour, seen it time & time again.

Fact is we've become a country where service is king. There are still a lot of Americans out there with disposable income and while it is true they do buy televisions made in Asia for 300-400 dollars cheaper than American made ones they place a value service for the most part, and when offered outstanding service which is done with outstanding salesmanship. Seems to me the key is not so much going head to head with big LCO's, scrubs, or illegals that undersell, its more figureing out what you can do & do better than the other guy and then bash his brains in with it :angry: :) figuratively speaking of course.

Just my 2 cent

G-P

Rick Jones
12-15-2004, 11:55 AM
...when you buy a TV do you buy the $300.00 chinese made tv or do you buy the $700 american made TV???...

Just curious, can you even buy a TV made in the US anymore?

out4now
12-15-2004, 12:00 PM
[/QUOTE]

True. But the social security card the worker gets doesn't expire or anything like that. Once you have a valid social security number, you can get a driver's license. Once you have both of those things, citizen or not, there is nothing you can't do in our country, with the possible exceptions of serving in the military, running for public office and voting...and I'm not even sure you couldn't do those things if you lied.

If someone asked you to prove you are a US citizen, how would you do that? My first impulse would be to show them my drivers license and social security card. I doubt the workers really even need the visa to cross the boarder once they have the other two credentials.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper[/QUOTE]
Right now if they volunteer to go to Iraq they automatically become eligible to apply for citizenship. It was in the news a few days ago.

Jay Ray
12-16-2004, 12:21 AM
Serving in Iraq to get US citizenship sounds like a good idea perhaps. Finally the gov is giving away something for something rather than something for nothing.

crawdad
12-16-2004, 08:30 AM

So, when are you going back to the print shop?
Crawdad

YardPro
12-16-2004, 09:04 AM
cutnedge
don't worry about that guy. he won't be in business very long.
after the neighbor goes through two or three service providers, she'll see the value of your consistent, quality work.

bobbygedd
12-16-2004, 09:46 AM
So, when are you going back to the print shop?
Crawdad
never, but i also don't rely on my lawn business as my sole income.

bblawncareprofessionals
12-16-2004, 09:55 AM
US made tv? Naw, RCA was the last to be made in US, then that name was sold off and nothing is made here anymore.

Ferngolf
12-22-2004, 02:14 AM
When an H2B visa holder gets his drivers license, it is only valid for the same length of time as the visa. So if a guy leaves the company, Brickman in this case, then his license will expire when his visa does. As far as getting a new license, it is impossible her in NJ with just a SS card.