PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Lazer Z vs. Lazer HP. Give me your thoughts!!

KB
01-24-2001, 11:46 PM
I am a part timer considering selling/trading my 48" Exmark Turf Tracer hydro walkbehind for a 52" Exmark HP or Lazer. I even considered the 48" HP. I am looking to buy a rider to increase productivity which will hopefully allow me time for more jobs, as well as be more fun to use. It should also allow me to take on larger yards. Other than the obvious difference in length, can anyone give me any reasoning that I should buy one over the other. Because of the type of jobs I have, anything larger would be too much. I have about 15 residential accounts and they are 1/4 to 1 acre in size with both flat and hilly terrain. I will probably always have residentials because of my limited amount of time. Give me your thoughts!

zipp669
01-25-2001, 02:16 AM
kp- if you have any hills at all get the lazer 60, the hp doesnt stay on the hills as good..i had a 52 & it was terrible..also i do alot of smaller residentials & there wasnt really any lawns the 52 worked better on than my 60's. for 8" different i would always get the 60, by the way i got traded the 52 in on a 26/72

awm
01-25-2001, 08:12 AM
I THOUGHT THE HP AND SIMILAR UNITS WAS THE FUTURE
GUESS NOT IF THEY WONT HOLD A HILL.
BUILT LOW IT SEEMS THEY WOULD BE STABLE BUT
GUESS NOT.NICE TO KNOW

Prime Seasons
01-25-2001, 09:14 AM
IMHO, the HP units perform just as well as their big brothers on hilly terrain.

Howerever, there is an idler pulley on the hydro drive system which needs to be made larger. Exmark is aware of the problem, but so far have not offered any recalls. A larger size pulley will create more tension, whereas now the belt may slip a little on the (right side) pump shaft pulley. This creates a 'sstuttering' type effect.

$.02

cutting edge
01-25-2001, 10:53 AM
In my opinion the HP holds a hill very well.

madmowingman
01-25-2001, 11:14 AM
I own both a 52"hp and a 60" lazer. The Hp actually hugs hills slightly better...The Hp you can put the two bagger collection system(ultra vac) which works great. The lazer's new 3 bag ultra vac is too big and clumsy.(i put mulching kit on in the fall)The Hp actually has a better cut IMHO. It stripes better and can get into tighter residentials with ease. But for more open mowing accounts the lazer rules.It depends on what your needs are. FYI.. just talkin to my exmark dealer yesterday..and he has 14 last years HP 48" 18hp kohlers going for 5200$...might have to snag one of those...

cutting edge
01-25-2001, 11:26 AM
Are they new? If they are that is a great price.

Cutter1
01-25-2001, 11:47 AM
Prime seasons....My hp did the same thing!! It took a few trips in for them to figure out what tho do. Finally they put 1 1/2 time stronger spring on it. Works fine now.

I have used both machines. I prefer the smaller HP units. I think they work great on hills. I like the cut on the 62 better than the 60 and I like the bagging unit. I'll probably buy another one this springtoo.

[Edited by Cutter1 on 01-25-2001 at 10:50 AM]

madmowingman
01-25-2001, 11:54 AM
cutting edge..
yes..last year's model

65hoss
01-25-2001, 03:21 PM
My 52" hp does well with hills. I would be more interested in the 52" because the overhang of the deck is better for getting closer to obstacles. Means less trimming. I can run my deck down the side of anything, because the overhang is about 3".

cutting edge
01-25-2001, 04:39 PM
I have a 48" and sometimes wish the deck was offset more.

Greenkeepers
01-25-2001, 05:41 PM
We have a 48" HP and it is a great little machine. The only time we have problems on hills are when they are wet. Any ZTR will have problems when wet though. That is one heck of a deal on that. There is a set screw on the 18 Briggs to turn it into a 20hp. They are the exact same engines, I talked to the guys at KY Expo this year and agreed and showed me where the speed stop screw is.....