PDA

View Full Version : Chevy Rear End

blade11
12-15-2004, 12:16 AM
Hey all---

I have a 94 Chevy Silverado 1500, 1/2 ton truck. It almost has 150k miles on it and it needs a new rear end. I have talked to a neighbor mechanic and he is looking for a used one to install. If possible, I would like to beef up the rear end because I tow a very tongue heavy dump trailer for leaf cleanup season. The mechanic is trying to find a used 3/4 ton or 1 ton rear end that would work with my truck. Has anyone done this before? I hope it can work because I would hate to spend the $ on the used 1/2 ton and have it happen again at some point...in other words, I would be willing to pay the extra $ for something bigger. Also, the mechanic has not had any luck finding anything in central IL...got any suggestions of where I might find one on the web? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

UNISCAPER
12-15-2004, 12:27 AM
Blade:

The only thing you mighht have to do is change the spring/shock mounts. If you try Tex's Truck Parts in Chicago, I'm sure they can help you, or Speicher and Gaylords out of Plainfield Illinois I'm sure can help you. From central Illernoyzz, you have a few hour drive, or, they can ship as well.

grass_cuttin_fool
12-15-2004, 08:00 AM
Just my 2 cents worth here. You got 150k out of the 1st one, How long do you think the rest of the truck will last? I would stick with another 1/2 ton rear and maybe beef the springs up some or check into overload springs or air bags, something that could be taken off and installed on the next truck. Is this a 2 wheel drive or a 4 wheel drive? If it is a 4wd then you will have to keep the same rear end ratio or you or gonna have some major problems

Mindless
12-15-2004, 08:07 AM
Try asking your question at the following forum:
http://forums.vmag.com/suvsuburban0103/

or searching through forum archives. I know it reads "Suburban" but the rearends are interchangeable.

v/r,
Terry

lwcmattlifter
12-15-2004, 08:17 AM
What failed on your rear end?

Eric 1
12-15-2004, 10:33 AM
Here is a few things to think about

Is it 4x4, if so you have to put the exact same gear ratio in the back as front.

3/4 and 1 tons have different wheel bolt patterns, as well as more lugs, so you would have mis-mached wheels, unless you ordered a custom set for about 3-500.

With that many miles, is it worth it, personally i would just stick another 1/2 ton rear-end in it and get some heavy duty shocks and bearings and add some helper springs. Then sell it before it is wore out. 1/2 tons are not meant for that kind of constant heavy hauling.

Mindless
12-15-2004, 01:35 PM
lwcmattlifter,

No rearend problems here. Just wanted to make thread aware of another forum source for asking question.

Terry

Albemarle Lawn
12-18-2004, 01:36 AM
I have a 1500 rear end (5 bolt, 2 wheel drive).

Abandoned project. It has brand new 0 miles eaton limited slip unit, brand new 0 miles Yukon Gear axles, 4.10:1 ratio, brand new 0 miles overload springs (entire leaf springs, brand new). Brand new brakes and wheel cylinders.

Located in Virginia.

KB