View Full Version : Trailer sides?

12-14-2004, 11:29 PM
WHat is the steel called on the ramp of utility trailers called? I have a 6x12 with a fold ramp and do not know the technical term for this steel. Is it steel mesh or grated steel or etc...??? I want to build sides all the way around the trailer but do not know exactly what this stuff is called and where to get it.

12-14-2004, 11:38 PM
Its EXPANDED metal. You will have to go to a steel supply warehouse.

12-14-2004, 11:41 PM
Thanks, I did a search and saw that is also called steel mesh but curious if it could be bought at tractor supply co. or would I have to go to a steel manufacturer?

12-14-2004, 11:49 PM
Why not use wood? Its cheaper, easier and just as effective!!

Signature Services
12-15-2004, 12:14 AM
I also think it's called "stretch metal or steel".

12-15-2004, 12:17 AM
I priced some of it this summer and I could only find it in 4x8 sheets and it was a $120 a little pricey for me.

12-15-2004, 11:51 AM
It can be called wire cloth. I mow at a factory where they make it.

Mo Green
12-15-2004, 04:28 PM
Yes, it is expensive. And really, the only way to attatch it, is to weld it. I would go the wood sides route before I went to all that trouble. I put wood sides on mine. It took 3 sheets of plywood, some nuts and bolts, some black paint, and about 2 hours to build 2' sides. Cost was about $60.

12-16-2004, 12:55 AM
If you con't want to use wood or you want air to be able to flow through it, Look into livestock panels. they come in 16 ft lengths and about 3.5 or 4.5 ft high. they have openings about 4 x 6". It won't hold grass in but would hold equipment in.