PDA

View Full Version : Gravely

pcs
01-24-2001, 11:13 PM
Has anyone used a Gravely 260Z? How does it cut. Are these good machines?

Runner
01-25-2001, 12:32 AM
I got to use one for a few days, and it wasn't a bad mower at all. For the money, it is a pretty good buy. It cuts aLOT better than the Promaster 300 rider (I have one) and of course, it's alot faster too. The only thing that needs to be changed on this machine, and I talked to a factory rep who agreed, is the anti-scalp casters. The swiveling casters that they use on the mowers have a tendency to lose their pins and go under the deck. Well, we all know what happens then, and they CAN'T be reused. This has been a common problem no matter what your dealer may tell you. So that's a simple fix. I almost bought that machine, but I opted for the Exmark EPS instead.

cleancut
01-25-2001, 12:52 AM
I've used a 260z for the last 2 years..When I first got the mower, I hated it because it had the 50 in. deck..The 50 in. deck didn't have wheels on the front and it scalped like crazy..I complained and they changed my deck to a 60 in. deck and I just love it..It's fast, dependable, and gives a good cut..I really like the hydraulic deck..Just be sure to get the 60 or 72 in. deck..I'm probably going to trade mine in on a new one this season..Also, if u mow alot of hills, you'll probably need to put fluid in or weights on the tires...Good luck..Derrick

pcs
01-25-2001, 09:36 PM
How fast do these machines cut? And what's the price?

cleancut
01-25-2001, 09:39 PM
The top speed on this mower is 9 mph. and gives an excellent cut...With the 25 hp. eng. it doesn't bog down..Derrick

Mark
02-01-2001, 01:13 AM
Never used one but are starting to see them in town now. I looked at there site and they do seem to be a ok machine. Marks Mowing Service

SpringValley
02-01-2001, 06:46 AM
Gravely makes the Woods mowers. I was given a Woods for a loaner when my carb was being repaired on my JD. The machine was fast and mowed well enough. I had a lot of trouble with losing traction on small inclines (which verifies cleancut's comment about wheel weights). The handles were extremely stiff also which made your elbows hurt after a full day of mowing. This problem may have been corrected on the newer Gravelys but probably deserves some investigation. Good Luck

Matt

Runner
02-01-2001, 11:19 AM
That's interesting that Gravely makes the Woods ZTR's! I had no idea! Man, it's great to something new!

SpringValley
02-01-2001, 02:58 PM
That is what my local Gravely dealer told me. The 260Z was an exact replica of the Woods that I had as a loaner.

Matt

chrisbolte
02-01-2001, 04:51 PM
I use all gravely mowers and they are great mowers. Walk behinds and zero turns. I really like the 250 z with a 50 inch deck.

lawnMaster5000
02-05-2001, 12:36 AM
I have used them ocasionaly and loved it, One problem that i have noticed with them is that the front rollers on the 60" are held on with a flip clip. If this clip comes undone this front roller could fall from the deck and go under mower. When roller wheel comes into contact with the Blade = major problems. Now there is a recall on this design and your dealer should have all the replacement parts.

- just be carefulll, and look at the deck design.

I luv the mower, it is cheap and cuts great.

Chopper Lover
02-05-2001, 07:28 PM
I purchased a new Gravely PM260Z with a 25 HP Kohler and a 60" deck last fall from a gentleman going out of business. Because I had cash and was ready to purchase on the spot I got it for a steal of $7000. I have not been able to find one within $1000 of that price.

To date I have not been able to use it much but can tell you that a lawn that used to take me one hour with a 22" push mower only took me 8 minutes with the Gravely and did a breathtaking job. The manufacturer rates the mower to cut at 3-3.5 acres/hour. I hope this is helpful to you.

Happy Cutting! Mark

Eng Mwr Guy
02-06-2001, 12:27 PM
And in fact, will do better than what is specified. The 260Z should be demo'ed by anyone in the market. Try it and you would see it is as good or better than any other machine out there for quality of cut.

But I am biased. The research we have done does bear this out though.

Gravely Engineer

Richard Martin
02-06-2001, 02:27 PM
But oddly enough the "in the field" research I have done does not support your claim. My "in the field" research showed me that the machine throws clumps of grass when the grass is thick and or tall. This is common among all of the larger Gravely decks. I personally have a Pro 150 50" and after spending approx $400 I have finally gotten the deck to discharge grass properly. If you want to know what I did just flip over an Exmark deck and look at the difference between an Exmark deck and your deck.

BTW my "in the field" research was done on my buddy's 1998 260Z. He also needs to hold the two levers at different spots to get the mower to go straight. When he took it to the dealer the dealer just threw their hands up in the air and said there was nothing they could do to fix it. The mower only has 800 hours on it.

Eng Mwr Guy
02-06-2001, 03:40 PM
We expect clumping when:

1. a deflector falls out (near the discharge chute opening - see parts manual http://www.gravely.com.) Without this deflector I guarantee there will be clumping.

2.going over 7mph and cutting over 1.5 inch damp morning grass in one pass (we did this and had clumping)

3. Going through standing water.

If wet grass is the norm switching to the mulching blades rather than the standard high lift blades could possibly be helpful.

There are 3 possible adjustments to make if the handles are out of whack. The dealer "should" be able to fix this. They have been trained to do so. The dumbass that I am went out to the shop and just adjusted it with a crescent wrench so I know it is easy. I would like to know which dealer. If your friend would like more info please have him e-mail or try the dealer again...or a different dealer. Or, call me direct and I (or the service manager)will help. 920-756-2141

I would agree the older, larger Gravely decks on WB's have room for improvement. That is what I am trying to do here....make it better. I am happy you were able to make it work to your satisfaction.

Barry Adamski

Richard Martin
02-07-2001, 05:15 AM
If you're interested there are a couple of places you could improve the 50" formed deck.

1: Remove approx. 2" from the discharge chute (I'm not talking about the moveable deflector). It digs into the ground when cutting on a hill where the sloped portion of the hill meets a flat portion of ground. It is not necessary to have the discharge chute stick so far out and your fabricated decks don't do this.

2: Continue the blade baffle around the left blade to the front of the deck. This will keep grass from accumulating in the pocket to the left front of this blade.

3: Add trianglular gussets to the front of the blade baffles where the baffles meet. This will keep the grass from accumulating at this point. This was the one single most important thing that I did to the deck that cured the grass clumping. Don't forget to add a gusset to the right hand baffle where it meets the discharge chute. I have actually seen grass bulidup here and fall off in a clump.

4: Add more adjustment to part number 08928800 or replace it with a true spring loaded idler.

5: On the 988 unit replace part number 083295 with a spring that has more tension. As the belt wears this spring is so weak that it allows the belt to slip even when the belt is properly tensioned.

[Edited by Richard Martin on 02-07-2001 at 05:18 AM]

Eng Mwr Guy
02-07-2001, 08:13 AM
Of course I am interested.

Excellent timing. Marketing decided to keep this deck (against my recommendation) in the lineup. I will be making changes to make it cut above average. Your suggestions will be used within the week as the WB team will be starting the redesign of the 50 stamped deck.

Thank You for taking the time to inform me about these opportunities for improvement.

Barry