PDA

View Full Version : What have you hit?

southside
05-19-2000, 09:54 AM
What have you hit/run over while mowing or<br>slashing? I've hit plenty of things.<br>Weirdest: Another tractor hidden in 10' grass.(TE20 grey Massey,no damage)<br>Grossest: A litter of kittens,and an out house.(At least it ended quick for the kittens)<br>Expensive: A 20' length of railway line,which<br>tore off the cutter bar and buggered the <br>slasher gearbox.<p>What about you guys?<p><br>Karl<br>

yardsmith
05-19-2000, 10:02 AM
Darn near ran over a baby bunny 2 weeks ago. Missed him the first time, & the dumb bunny didn't have enough sense to get out of the yard.<br>Finishing up the same yard, & he was hiding in a hole. Didn't see him until the front of my mower deck was right over top of his head- jerked back on the sticks (whooaaa horsie!)<br>& he took off again.<br>Weekly regulars include sticks, pop cans, occaisional stones, string pcs., etc. on some back of comm.prop.'s<br>3 weeks ago I had the lawn from &quot;hell&quot; so to speak.<br>This lady had more junk in her backyard than I have in my garage-RR ties, tire ruts, weeds diguised as flowers, brush pile (which I bid high so I wouldn't have to take it :) ), bird bath, stone formations, GEEZ. Hillbilly clutter city! <br>No way was I taking my new Z on that Piece Of Trash (POT).<br> Come around the back of the house & stalled the WB (#&*@%!) on a stump that was 1.5&quot; above the ground but not short enuf. Thank goodness her family bought her a mower. My teeth were clenched the whole time, every time we did that lawn<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<p><p>&lt;font size=&quot;1&quot;&gt;Edited by: yardsmith<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: yardsmith

thelawnguy
05-19-2000, 10:13 AM
The absolute worst, IMO, is dead animals. A two-day-old raccoon hidden in high grass, when mowed with a WB, makes a stench that sticks to your teeth for days on end.<p>My worst, took the top off a water co. curb box, sent cast iron pieces flying, only dinked the blade but I finished out the day no problem.<p>Lady two houses down wanted me to mow an area not mowed since last fall(she just bought the place, formerly a rental). Being busy, I respectfully declined. Monday, a guy I know was mowing this property with his scag ztr, when &quot;clang&quot; then all sound stops-stopped the engine dead- hit the meerstone(sp?) a 4-inch square concrete post which surveyors use for reference. Blades wouldn't re-start. Still hasn't returned to finish the job. Glad it wasn't me.<p>Bill

Getmow
05-19-2000, 07:00 PM
How about a pile of dog sh#$% with the string trimmer... had to throw away my tooth brush after that one.

bdemir
05-19-2000, 10:22 PM
oNCE I WAS MOWING A LADYS LAWN AND SHE KEEPS ALL THE DOGG **** IN A CAN AND I WAS LOOKING DOWN NOT FORWARD AND THE CAN WAS SPILLED AND ALL THE GOD **** WAS SPILLED AND A LITTLE HIT THE WEED WIP STRING AND GOT SOME ALL OVER ME IT WAS REAL NICE LET ME TELL YA.

cutntrim
05-19-2000, 10:22 PM
Employee of ours ran over about six baby rabbits...with a lawnboy!! He adopted the ones that survived. <p>Funniest thing I've run over was a tennis ball with my WB. It came firing out of the side discharge (uncut) and flew 100' across the street and off a guy's head while riding a bike down the sidewalk. Knocked him clear off the bike. He was alright. I laughed my ass off for about an hour after that one. <p>Always try to leave the deflector down when on &quot;first-cut&quot; commercial properties though. Don't know what might fly out from under your mower.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>www.cutntrim.com

southside
05-20-2000, 02:34 AM
Dog **** with a trimmer? gross.<br>Gotta love the tennis ball one though,piss <br>funny! :)<br>Unfortunately for me the litter of kittens <br>didn't fare too well.They literally exploded<br>under the slasher.Tip speed is 15000 fpm and<br>the blades weigh 22lb each.At least they made<br>a good mulch. :)<p>Karl<br>

gusbuster
05-20-2000, 05:15 AM
About 5 years ago, started a new account that the owners just bought a month before. The previous owners had natural gas barbecue that they tore out and replaced the area with sod. Didn't see the pipe that was sticking up. Hit it with the mower, nothing happened other than a bent shaft on the mower. Took the mower back to my truck, next thing I here is a hi whining sound like a Piccolo Pete. Had a hell of a time trying to find the gas meter for the house. Thank god it didn't explode when I hit it. The customer still to this day ask me if I hit any gas lines lately?<br>Jean<p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044

Richard Martin
05-20-2000, 05:43 AM
Hmmm... Let's see. 5 pound brass fitting, too many 3&quot; diameter tree stumps sticking up 2 and 1/2&quot; from the ground (I cut at 2 and 3/8&quot;), concrete, plastic sewer clean-out, cast iron sewer clean-outs, bricks (the machines cut them in half), 1 turtle - turtles make a heck-ov-a mess -, lacrosse/tennis balls. The number 1 thing I REALLY hate to run over is... a Yellow Jacket wasp nest, I got stung a minimum of 12 times once... on a hill... with a walkbehind... with the safeties diconnected... creek at the bottom of the hill... with me trying to swat Yellow Jackets while the mower is steady makeing for the water. Yes, I saved the mower from a watery grave.

MOW ED
05-20-2000, 11:35 AM
I've hit lots of stuff but the thing that pisses me off are the wraparound junk like string, fishing line and plastic garbage bags. I pulled a damn bag in and sat under my walkbehind for 25 minutes unravveling the dan thing off my spindles. BTW dead ducks thru the blades smell worse than the sterilized duckshit that hits the muffler.

RYAN
05-20-2000, 01:04 PM
Once I ran over an aluminum baseball bat which was buried in tall grass, it shot half the bat across the yard and it hit the house the other half just lay there, didn't hurt the mower a bit I just kept on going like nothing happened. I also ran over a shoe one time, it was always laying in the yard and I didn't feel like moving it this time. I got a little too close and it sucked it right up it flew into my bag and I took it with me. Other things include bricks, front wheel to by WB, and I also did the rabbit on accident.

1stclasslawns
05-20-2000, 04:43 PM
Box turtle was the worst, just cut the top part of his shell off nasty mess. Poor thing was still alive, I didnt have anything at all to go ahead and kill it with but a .45 auto with black talons...<br>I hated to do it but it was the most humane thing to do at the time. I carry for the just in case stuff... I live in a small town and its there when and if I need it, also we have several dogs that are wild around my farm and if I get the chance to remove one I do. I can have the .45 out and a round off before I can get to a rifle.<br>But the thing that pisses me off the worst is cigerette butts!!!!!<br>I like running over snakes though. :)<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: naturalawn

southside
05-21-2000, 05:07 AM
naturalawn, You're kidding? Why the hell <br>would you want to carry a .45 auto around<br>at work? Is the crime rate that bad in the <br>US?<p>Karl<br>

MOW ED
05-21-2000, 07:56 AM
The .45 makes a great bed edger, just set it down and bang. Your done in a second.

tom
05-21-2000, 11:30 AM
Worst thing I have hit is a Skunk while &quot;SLASHING &quot; some railroad right-of-way. The smell stayed with the tractor for a few days.

Grateful11
05-21-2000, 12:21 PM
I've hit a bunch of those creyfish holes(crawlfish around here) sticking up several inches, with the trimmer. They're always wet and muddy, splatter all over your face. I'm keeping up a lawn for a lady whose home is burned out. She just couldn't stand to see it grow out of control. She lives elsewhere. Well, there's still some fire line yellow tape lying about in her shrubs and yesterday a snagged a piece with my Shin. T27. I thought I'd never get it unwound from the head. Grateful

SJR Lawncare
05-22-2000, 10:46 AM
Ive hit a group of baby rabbits, that was awful, also hit a box turtle,luckily the shell protected him pretty well, I think he made it.Ive hit dog chains hidden in the lawn,that takes forever to unwind from the blades.the worst was when I lost the 48&quot; Snapper on a hill & it slid to the curb and ruined 2 spindles, that cost a pretty penny.<p>----------<br>SJR Lawncare<br>

CA Enterprises
05-22-2000, 11:20 AM
I didn't actually hit it but I found a cell phone. Someone else had already done the damage. I hit a steak knife and cut a tire. And the grossest was a used condomn!!!<p>Adam :)

Bobby
05-22-2000, 05:03 PM
I hit a big dog with my weed eater once , but it wasn't an accident. He was loose in the neighbors front yard. After the third charge from my back, I put my T-270 on his ass. I never saw him again. I was cleaning around the back of a dumpster once when I hear a loud slam. A lady, no a woman came by doing about 30 and slung out a loaded baby diaper. I was greatfull that the tape straps held. <p>----------<br>Bobby <br>Ft Lauderdale

southside
05-23-2000, 06:56 AM
Mow Ed,<br> Sounds like an idea.Plus with the .45<br>you never have any trouble getting paid and<br>your workers always show up on time. :)<p>Karl<br>