PDA

View Full Version : F'n Geese and customers who feed them...

coastallandscapesolutions
12-15-2004, 04:27 PM
Got a call from one of the crews today. Said the yard they were there to mow was gone. I said what? How does a yard disappear? Last time I saw it two weeks ago the winter rye had come in beautifully. What are you talking about. They told me to get out there right away.

I pull up to this yard which backs up to a golf course here. I am dumbfounded when I see it. There is NO grass anywhere and part of the neighbors yard is missing too. Stunned I knock on the door and the "he-man of the universe" opens the door and starts chewing my a$$ out saying it was my fault. That the grass seed made the geese from the golf course come over and picked his yard clean. I didn't now what to say. I guess it was possible. He then told me that he wanted new sod in by weeks end or he was going to "sue me blind."

I'm 42 and have to admit, in 30 years of cutting grass I never came upon a situation like this. I called Lesco and a few others to see why the birds would do this. I have seen damage on the golf course before but nothing like this. Nobody had an answer.

I gave in and ordered the sod (22,000 sqft) and scheduled it for Friday. What the hay..... I am on a roll this month. Why not just eat this one too.

Just then his wife pulls in with her brand new $85K Rover. She goes on to tell us how much she likes it here verses Mich. Her husband tells her what an a-hole I am and that he is making me replace the yard. Feeling like $hit now she opens the back of her SUV and we offer to help her unload the boxes. Setting one box down I notice that it is bird feed.... I start thinking and ask her why you need 200lbs of bird food. She tells me that she has been tossing it out on the lawn for the birds to eat. I just stare at her in disbelief. Just then she realizes what she has done.

She begs me not to say anything to her husband and proceeds to pull out her check book. She ask what it is going to cost and I pop off $15,000.00 since I have to remove all of the bird crap before laying sod. She writes me a check for $20K and ask me to keep quite and not say anything.

Ok.... I wasn't born yesterday. I take the check and tell her we will be here on Friday but she can't feed the birds anymore. She agrees. I drive straight to Bank of America and exchange the check for a cashiers check.

So since he was such an A-hole.... and his wife gave me an extra $5K to keep quite.... would you continue servicing this property?

GreenMonster
12-15-2004, 04:32 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how it's your fault the geese ate the lawn.......

BobwithECLC
12-15-2004, 04:35 PM
HECK YES!!! And when they get divorced you will get two jobs out of one. Because he thought you were great for replacing his lawn and she thinks you are great for keeping quite. In fact I am on the way to our seed supplier to order some bird seed. LOL

out4now
12-15-2004, 04:37 PM
NO, it was an act of God anyway. You guarentee Rye will grow? It was her fault and even if it hadn't come to light I'd be asking "What did you do it?" PITA so drop'em soon.

Shawns Lawns
12-15-2004, 04:43 PM
Coastal
What would it have cost you if you had to do it and eat the expense?

Petr51488
12-15-2004, 04:57 PM
I would say yes, they obvioucly have money. I for one would never throw in 5g's to keep quiet lol. I would deff. stay with these people.

RedWingsDet
12-15-2004, 05:07 PM
dang thats awsome. ya keep em. I bet someones kids are going to have an awsome christmas (if ya have kids, lol). Thats awsome though.

Mo Green
12-15-2004, 05:11 PM
I wish I had that kind of money to throw around..... $5000.00 is the best christmas bonus I have ever heard of.

rodfather
12-15-2004, 05:15 PM
I'd have that check framed and hanging on my office wall if that happened to me...Merry Christmas!

LawnBoy89
12-15-2004, 05:25 PM
But how is she going to drop 20g's and not have her husband find out?

You went from the unluckiest person on earth the the luckiest in a matter of about 10 minutes.

12-15-2004, 05:26 PM
Coastal
What would it have cost you if you had to do it and eat the expense?

Probably about $7K plus or minus.

rodfather
12-15-2004, 05:28 PM
But how is she going to drop 20g's and not have her husband find out?

It's called separate bank accounts with her probably making 6 figures herself...not uncommon these days.

12-15-2004, 05:32 PM
These people purchased a house in the Dunes Club down here for 1.3 million and paid cash. He owned a company that was called International Oil Exploration. Needless to say, he drives a new Bently (we don't have many of them here... in fact he has got the only one that I know about) and she looks like Mr. T only with Rocks instead of gold chains. They are in their mid 60's I guess. They are from Grand Rapids area. They moved here 4 months ago.

My guess is that she has her own accounts. The check was drawn off Bank of America, Private Banking.

Remsen1
12-15-2004, 05:37 PM
This thread should be titled "Oh how I love Geese... Let me count the ways!"

grass_cuttin_fool
12-15-2004, 05:45 PM
Im wondering if the geese will still return to the yard though, and they do tend to graze like a cow and will they damage the new sod??? What kind of garuntee are you gonna give with the sod???

Shawns Lawns
12-15-2004, 06:26 PM
Probably about $7K plus or minus.
Just curious did you know that before you gave her the estimate of $15000 and if so what made you call out such a high number? oh and i would keep them till death do you part! :waving:

nitrotim
12-15-2004, 06:29 PM
[QUOTE=CoastalGreenscapes]in by weeks end or he was going to "sue me blind."

I'm 42 and have to admit, in 30 years of cutting grass I never came upon a situation like this. I called Lesco and a few others to see why the birds would do this. I have seen damage on the golf course before but nothing like this. Nobody had an answer.

I gave in and ordered the sod (22,000 sqft) and scheduled it for Friday. What the hay..... I am on a roll this month. Why not just eat this one too.

I think this demonstrates what my mama always told me. "you get more flies with honey than with vinegar". If you had told him to go F@$#$ himself and left you would not have been there when the wife got home and never would have known about the bird seed. Some times you win sometimes you lose and then sometimes you win BIG. Good for you.

richard coffman
12-15-2004, 06:41 PM
Wow, that shurly amazing how that happened. I'd keep the customer and keep on smiling. :) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D :D

YardPro
12-15-2004, 07:05 PM
I think this demonstrates what my mama always told me. "you get more flies with honey than with vinegar". If you had told him to go F@$#$ himself and left you would not have been there when the wife got home and never would have known about the bird seed. Some times you win sometimes you lose and then sometimes you win BIG. Good for you.

LOL
can you imaginre the outcome if bobby had been in this situation..
LOL

good point nitro

RedWingsDet
12-15-2004, 07:11 PM
this thread belongs in turf magazine!!! lol

o-so-n-so
12-15-2004, 07:43 PM
Its funny how you can go from a 7K loss to a 13K profit in an instant.....SWEET :D

Professionalism.....just a nice jester like helping this lady unload that rover (knowing your just about to lose your @$$) and seeing the bird seed turned this situation around.

If she is 20K strong....why is she afraid of the a-hole?

Harleyboy52
12-15-2004, 08:35 PM
I have been feeding these geese for 20 years in my front yard and have never had the kind of damage you're talking about. They come on the 10th of November and leave on the 11th of March. I feed them about 2900 lbs of corn each year and they do very little damage to the yard. I may have 5 spots about the size of a basketball to repair in March. They spend the night in the river and fly in about 6:30 in the morning ready for breakfast. This is a new twist on the saying Squirt and Fert. Actually with them eating mostly corn their crap is firm and about the size of your finger. It washes in with the first rain. There is a private boat ramp next door to me with a circular driveway and people are constantly circling looking at the geese. I use to have a nieghbor that would give me $50. a year to buy food just so they would stay out of his yard. To me they are like gold and I guess coastalgreenscapes feels the same way. I just took this pic at 4:00 this afternoon.

beransfixitinc
12-15-2004, 08:52 PM
I have been feeding these geese for 20 years in my front yard and have never.

I guess with an area that size, you could buy corn in bulk, dump it in a rotary pull behind spreader, open the adjustment up all the way and pull it around the yard spreading it. Then after a couple of days, go back over it with a sweeper and pick up all the goose turds and sell it as "organic" fert. pellets.

YardPro
12-15-2004, 08:53 PM
nice view harley
looks like the view from my second story deck... sort of....

Harleyboy52
12-15-2004, 09:03 PM
With that boat out of the way I can see about 7 miles down the river. That bridge is the new bypass around Jacksonville. It's not open yet but I see construction trucks going across it all the time.

Cheesedawg1
12-15-2004, 09:03 PM
i wish i got a christmas bonus that big.

12-15-2004, 11:35 PM
I have been feeding these geese for 20 years in my front yard and have never had the kind of damage you're talking about. They come on the 10th of November and leave on the 11th of March. I feed them about 2900 lbs of corn each year and they do very little damage to the yard. I may have 5 spots about the size of a basketball to repair in March. They spend the night in the river and fly in about 6:30 in the morning ready for breakfast. This is a new twist on the saying Squirt and Fert. Actually with them eating mostly corn their crap is firm and about the size of your finger. It washes in with the first rain. There is a private boat ramp next door to me with a circular driveway and people are constantly circling looking at the geese. I use to have a nieghbor that would give me $50. a year to buy food just so they would stay out of his yard. To me they are like gold and I guess coastalgreenscapes feels the same way. I just took this pic at 4:00 this afternoon.

The thing is.... you can actually see the ground. These geese come in.... you can't see any ground what so ever. Hundreds of them. I am open to suggestions on how to keep them out too.

12-15-2004, 11:37 PM
Hey.. didn't I remember Bobby looking for some crabgrass seed or something for one oh his customers. I could send a few thousand of these birds to you. Just toss out some "seed" in the yard.

You should see what they are doing to the golf course. I will grab some pictures this weekend and post them.

Harleyboy52
12-16-2004, 12:06 AM
I have had the ground covered with them in the past and it's true the more of them the more the mess. The most I have ever had is 265. For some reason the flock is down to about 80 birds this year. A lot of these are banded and I know that the same ones come back every year. I can actually pet them until they realize that I have my hands on them. I know that fire crackers are legal in S. C. and I would try that first. Of course I know the caliber of the membership at the Dunes and they may not like that. I use to play there a lot in another life. Stake some monofilament line out in the yard for awhile. Put the stakes about 2 feet out of the ground and crisscross monofillament in a X pattern or a star pattern. I bet that will work. It sure does for seagulls. They can't stand it. Let us know what happens. If you went to school in MB did you have a teacher named Mrs. Kelly. She lived over on 61st St. in NMB. She was my best friends grand mother. She taught Vanna White when she was in school. I guess she's the one that taught her to turn letters. Ha Ha.

TClawn
12-17-2004, 03:38 AM
do you have a pic of the check? I've never seen anybody write on a piece of paper for that much money.

lampeslawnservice
12-17-2004, 07:44 PM
I wonder how many mid-night geese feeding runs the rest of us lco's will be doing in the near future. I could think of a few places that would make a good eating place for some geese!

YardPro
12-17-2004, 08:08 PM
do you have a pic of the check? I've never seen anybody write on a piece of paper for that much money.

we get checks that size for install work. I always feel poor when after an initial meeting someone just whips out the check book and writes a $15,000.00 check with no hesitation. no money transfers, nothing.