PDA

View Full Version : how did you arrive at THAT price?

bobbygedd
12-15-2004, 07:21 PM
a customer asked me to clear a little brush, and trim a couple of yews (for those of you that are unfamiliar, this is not a religoun, it's a shrub). i quoted $225 + tax. upon completion as he's writing the check, he says, "by the way, how did you arrive at this figure? HOW, would you answer that one?

BryPaulD
12-15-2004, 07:25 PM
well, you asked me to clear some brush and trim some yews. $225.00 +tax :)_

Ric
12-15-2004, 07:26 PM
BooBy

Tell the man the Truth. You just lost $200 on the Horses and had admission etc. Your just trying to recoup your loses. :D

packerbacker
12-15-2004, 07:28 PM
a customer asked me to clear a little brush, and trim a couple of yews (for those of you that are unfamiliar, this is not a religoun, it's a shrub). i quoted $225 + tax. upon completion as he's writing the check, he says, "by the way, how did you arrive at this figure? HOW, would you answer that one?

Well how did you arrive by it? You could just be honest and tell him! But why would you want to do that.

chevyman1
12-15-2004, 07:29 PM
Imagine if Bobby actually worked as much as he makes up stories on here? he'd be a millionaire!

He could call himself "Mother Goose Lawn Care--stories first, grass later" :D

YardPro
12-15-2004, 07:30 PM
BooBy

Tell the man the Truth. You just lost $200 on the Horses and had admission etc. Your just trying to recoup your loses. :D

LOL wouldn't it be more like, well i've got $200.00 in past due receivables that unhappy customers won't pay me, gotta recoup it somewhere.....

seriously,
i think brypualD had a good semi smart aleck remark to a smart aleck question. not too offensive, but makes a point.

out4now
12-15-2004, 07:31 PM
I'd tell him I think that's what it's worth to me for my time and materials etc.

Mark McC
12-15-2004, 07:55 PM
Well, I suppose Bobby could tell the guy that the figure just popped into his head (meaning the number is utterly arbitrary), and follow with the comment that "Hey, you paid it. What do I care how I came up with it? I pulled it out of my a**."

packerbacker
12-15-2004, 07:56 PM
Well, I suppose Bobby could tell the guy that the figure just popped into his head (meaning the number is utterly arbitrary), and follow with the comment that "Hey, you paid it. What do I care how I came up with it? I pulled it out of my a**."

If he could get the cobwebs cleaned out first ;)

jeffex
12-15-2004, 08:24 PM
I added up the hours it would take you to do that job by yourself and rent the equipment necessary. I would ask the customer what dollar figure they would place on their free time?

bobbygedd
12-15-2004, 08:30 PM
i asked him what he did for a living, and how he arrived at his wage. he said it was the going rate for his occupation. i said, yup, mine too

packerbacker
12-15-2004, 08:38 PM
Good way to talk to someone. Instead of explaining how you charge you come at them with them smart a** comment.

rodfather
12-15-2004, 08:59 PM
i asked him what he did for a living, and how he arrived at his wage. he said it was the going rate for his occupation. i said, yup, mine too

Perfect and.......period

YardPro
12-15-2004, 09:01 PM
that would be a good reply

packerbacker
12-15-2004, 09:04 PM
Perfect and.......period

LOL, yeah thats great, the guy was looking for some info and he wisecracks him...YUP gedd that was perfect!

rodfather
12-15-2004, 09:04 PM
that isn't a smart azz answer packer and i for once in a while think bg's answer was right at home. in fact, i have used that exact one many times too in that situations with doctors and lawyers.

you need to lighten up some since you are 29 and been in business for 30 too

packerbacker
12-15-2004, 09:07 PM
that isn't a smart azz answer packer and i for once in a while think bg's answer was right at home. in fact, i have used that exact one many times too in that situations with doctors and lawyers.

you need to lighten up some since you are 29 and been in business for 30 too

LOL, wow you sure got me on a TYPO! Congrats! So if someone looks at you and asks for an estimate, you give them one and then they ask for a breakdown of the figure , your not going to tell them? Thats great business.

rodfather
12-15-2004, 09:10 PM
LOL, wow you sure got me on a TYPO! Congrats! So if someone looks at you and asks for an estimate, you give them one and then they ask for a breakdown of the figure , your not going to tell them? Thats great business.

Of course I tell them...and that is just it, an estimate IS an estimate

rodfather
12-15-2004, 09:13 PM
A "breakdown" on a leaf cleanup...hardly. Hourly estimate...hey, no problemo

packerbacker
12-15-2004, 09:17 PM
Of course I tell them...and that is just it, an estimate IS an estimate

Your switching sides to often. The point was gedd was asked by a customer how he came to the price he was charging, instead of saying..

"well sir, i charge X per hour and X to haul it away"

he says

" how much do you charge and is it the going rate"

Sorry Rod but gimmie a break, you dont talk to customers like that, you sit there with them and explain to them how you charge, you give them a breakdown of the charges and talk to them. Its called being an adult.

packerbacker
12-15-2004, 09:18 PM
A "breakdown" on a leaf cleanup...hardly. Hourly estimate...hey, no problemo

And what if they asked you what a leaf cleanup included? Thats called a breakdown. So you dont do that huh?

rodfather
12-15-2004, 09:32 PM
And what if they asked you what a leaf cleanup included? Thats called a breakdown. So you dont do that huh?

No PB, it is strictly hourly. period

bobbygedd
12-15-2004, 09:33 PM
Your switching sides to often. The point was gedd was asked by a customer how he came to the price he was charging, instead of saying..

"well sir, i charge X per hour and X to haul it away"

he says

" how much do you charge and is it the going rate"

Sorry Rod but gimmie a break, you dont talk to customers like that, you sit there with them and explain to them how you charge, you give them a breakdown of the charges and talk to them. Its called being an adult.
but i was being honest. i don't charge by the hour, why would i tell him i do? i come up with a price, depending on degree of difficulty, amount of skill involved, and price of tools being used. also factored in, are the availability of other contractors to the client, and level of importance of the job. and finally, plain and simple, how bad does the job suck to do? keep working hourly, and you'll keep getting your head patted.

packerbacker
12-15-2004, 09:39 PM
but i was being honest. i don't charge by the hour, why would i tell him i do? i come up with a price, depending on degree of difficulty, amount of skill involved, and price of tools being used. also factored in, are the availability of other contractors to the client, and level of importance of the job. and finally, plain and simple, how bad does the job suck to do? keep working hourly, and you'll keep getting your head patted.

THATS MY POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why didnt you tell him that instead of being a jerk to him. Explain it to him like you just did to us.

packerbacker
12-15-2004, 09:40 PM

There you go rodfather, you heard it straight from the ******* mouth, You can insert whatever word you think appropriate there.

rodfather
12-15-2004, 09:41 PM
Your switching sides to often. Its called being an adult.

First of all, I NEVER take sides. I say what I feel no matter what. I have absolutely no problem telling no one on LS to go sh*t in their hat and punch it no matter how much I might be friends with them to at the same time. That includes bobby, mac, jack, kelly, and a host of others. It's called your "opinion matters".

And btw, I am an adult by now I think since I just turned 50

Ric
12-15-2004, 09:43 PM

BooBy

Why not tell it like it is??? Your Horse placed instead of winning and you needed to cover your bet.

Now the truth is many guys bid by what they need to cover in the way of expenses. If you needed $225 to pay the phone bill then that is what the bid is. This is a very common practice upon many one man operators. They really don't know how to estimate but they do know what bills are pressing or due. So that is what the bid turns out to be.

bobbygedd
12-15-2004, 09:44 PM
i don't have to explain sh!t to anyone. last week for example, i priced a job based on the customers statement, "i need you, it's an emergency. i am moving in 2 days, and i have to have this work done now, i can't get anyone else." SO, should i have told him if he asked, "yes sir, i am taking full advantage of the fact that you are desperate?" no, i'm not going to say that! in fact, i aint sayin anything!.this is the price!

packerbacker
12-15-2004, 09:48 PM
i don't have to explain sh!t to anyone. last week for example, i priced a job based on the customers statement, "i need you, it's an emergency. i am moving in 2 days, and i have to have this work done now, i can't get anyone else." SO, should i have told him if he asked, "yes sir, i am taking full advantage of the fact that you are desperate?" no, i'm not going to say that! in fact, i aint sayin anything!.this is the price!

WTF is wrong with you? Why are you so defensive? You wont explain to the person who is giving you money and paying your bills why you are charging them what your charging them? You got some issues man.

rodfather
12-15-2004, 09:51 PM
BooBy Why not tell it like it is??? Your Horse placed instead of winning and you needed to cover your bet.

I know ya like to have fun with bobby Ric, but I hope he had his cup on...

bobbygedd
12-15-2004, 09:52 PM
really? so, how does this sound, "mr jones i am charging you twice what others would charge because you are desperate, and damn stupid for not getting this taken care of sooner." is that acceptible? or should i have lied? and one thing about rod, he don't take sides, trust me. he's told me i was an a** more than once

packerbacker
12-15-2004, 09:57 PM
really? so, how does this sound, "mr jones i am charging you twice what others would charge because you are desperate, and damn stupid for not getting this taken care of sooner." is that acceptible? or should i have lied? and one thing about rod, he don't take sides, trust me. he's told me i was an a** more than once

Your missing my point completely, your just begging for someone to argue with you. Ill explain this as S I M P L Y as i know how

Someone asks you how you arrived at your price.

You tell them you charge for a cleanup, you charge for a dumping fee, you charge for gas for your equipment and transportation. You charge for what your time is worth.

ARE YOU STILL WITH ME???????

All he probably wanted was a breakdown of the charges. HOW YOU CAME TO THAT PRICE.

Its a lot easier to be nice and polite to someone then to be a dick.

bobbygedd
12-15-2004, 10:00 PM
not really. should i ask my doctor for his expenses? should he tell me about his office costs? his education costs? give me a break

lawnman_scott
12-15-2004, 10:02 PM
Well how did you arrive by it? You could just be honest and tell him! But why would you want to do that.
talk about someone looking for an argument, and this was before bobby even awnsered.

rodfather
12-15-2004, 10:03 PM
Time gentlemen to call this one quits IMO...

YardPro
12-15-2004, 10:07 PM
boy this is entertaining.
watching from the sidelines........

Ric
12-15-2004, 10:11 PM

ROFLMAO

Rodfather

Any time I post to BooBy he needs a CUP. You know the old saying. You can lead a Mule to water but can you make the ******* drink. :D

rodfather
12-15-2004, 10:14 PM
boy this is entertaining.
watching from the sidelines........

so how was the view?

packerbacker
12-15-2004, 10:16 PM
not really. should i ask my doctor for his expenses? should he tell me about his office costs? his education costs? give me a break

Hell yes you should, If you get a bill from a doctors office for 15,000 arent you going to wonder what its all for? Are you truly this stupid ?

Mark McC
12-15-2004, 10:23 PM
Can't say I'm fully confident that Bobby really cares what anyone else here thinks. Most of us care a little what others think, but to heck with anything that isn't based on good business sense. Anyone who cares more than that is in grave danger of screwing up a perfectly good business opportunity.

One thing occurs to the causal observer is that Bobby posted this (and others, perhaps) to stir up a buzz. Bobby, you aren't a rhetorical bomb-thrower, are you?

greendave
12-15-2004, 10:23 PM
I SWEAR Bobby is being paid by SOMEONE to post this silly drivel to keep us entertained! I think Ric has caught him without his cup on a time or two, based on his nonsensical responses!!!!!!!!

packerbacker
12-15-2004, 10:24 PM
Can't say I'm fully confident that Bobby really cares what anyone else here thinks. Most of us care a little what others think, but to heck with anything that isn't based on good business sense. Anyone who cares more than that is in grave danger of screwing up a perfectly good business opportunity.

One thing occurs to the causal observer is that Bobby posted this (and others, perhaps) to stir up a buzz. Bobby, you aren't a rhetorical bomb-thrower, are you?

Your exactly right! He makes all this stuff up just to stir up some arguments. I cant believe he is actually this stupid or if he is how he is even in business.

Ric
12-15-2004, 10:38 PM
I SWEAR Bobby is being paid by SOMEONE to post this silly drivel to keep us entertained! I think Ric has caught him without his cup on a time or two, based on his nonsensical responses!!!!!!!!

Green Dave

If BooBy isn't getting something for all his posts then something is wrong. BooBy is not the type to do any thing for free. Now don't tell BooBy I caught him with his cup off. He thinks he wins every encounter. I think it is more like 90% Ric to BooBy's 10%. However if BooBy is getting Paid then BooBy is winning because I would not be posting all this dripple. Does anyone remember the days when I and many others actually posted information????

BryPaulD
12-15-2004, 11:23 PM
Stop name calling already. Are you mad because you're working harder or something for the kind of money, or selling yourself short? I'm Lmao at all the replies in this thread. IMO a lot of you are right about this, (this way and that) Yeah, this is how much it is and why, gas time equip. etc. Sure you could question the guy back, whatever. Keep it simple, estimate time, drive time, equip., importance, pita job, YOU FOLLOWING ME HERE. All things to consider, but overall you need some brush cleared and some yews trimmed??? $225.00 +tax. that's what it's worth. NOW, just make sure the job is done timely and perfect so there are no complaints.

But what do I know? I'm just an idiot whiner right.

Olylawnboy
12-15-2004, 11:40 PM
And I thought this was a good question!....

coastallandscapesolutions
12-15-2004, 11:44 PM
And I thought this was a good question!....

Gee... so did I. I guess the right thing to do is say "whooopsss-a-daisy".... I meant $425.......

BryPaulD
12-15-2004, 11:51 PM
Gee... so did I. I guess the right thing to do is say "whooopsss-a-daisy".... I meant $425.......

Yeah, holy crap you made me think farther into it and I made a huge mistake. It'll be $425.00. ;) BTW coastal, nice website :)

bobbygedd
12-15-2004, 11:51 PM
i do not justify my exsistance to my customers. "well mr jones, my trimmers cost $1100, and my chainsaw $250, dumping fees $60, my kids have to eat, and live indoors etc, etc." take a hike, and quit acting like a bunch of pee ons. i never heard such stupid crap, having to give an explanation for a $225 tab. how's this sound, "you better start talking less, stop asking questions, and move that pen a little faster, or the bill is goin up to $250" . yea packer smacker, next time you visit a resturaunt, ask the guy to give you a break down of why the freaking shrimp coctail cost $7.95. tell me how it works out. i need a union, you people are OUT OF CONTROL, some kind of lack of self -esteem or something, i can't figure it out.

packerbacker
12-16-2004, 12:00 AM
i do not justify my exsistance to my customers. "well mr jones, my trimmers cost $1100, and my chainsaw $250, dumping fees $60, my kids have to eat, and live indoors etc, etc." take a hike, and quit acting like a bunch of pee ons. i never heard such stupid crap, having to give an explanation for a $225 tab. how's this sound, "you better start talking less, stop asking questions, and move that pen a little faster, or the bill is goin up to $250" . yea packer smacker, next time you visit a resturaunt, ask the guy to give you a break down of why the freaking shrimp coctail cost $7.95. tell me how it works out. i need a union, you people are OUT OF CONTROL, some kind of lack of self -esteem or something, i can't figure it out.

LMAO, yeah champ! We are the ones with the self esteem problems. You dont even have the guts to talk to your customers. No wonder you spend so much time here. You dont have any customers left. Look at you getting all defensive . Someone here finally called you out and asked you to prove the crap youve been posting and you CANT. Ive asked you numerous times to provide posts of things you have accused me of saying and you wont do it. You CANT do it. You need a union because your to lazy to go out and do the job properly without bending your customers over and raping them for money. Your a fool gedd, face it.

jim dailey
12-16-2004, 12:06 AM

No reason to explain. The price was quoted, the work done and the check is being written out. No discussion. No comment on the "union", Booby. And Booby, I had to leave Florida for 2 weeks to come back north. The open Gate still stands, I have given the key to a good friend. Let me know when you want to go down, and I will notify him. Happy Holidays.

bobbygedd
12-16-2004, 12:07 AM
LMAO, yeah champ! We are the ones with the self esteem problems. You dont even have the guts to talk to your customers. No wonder you spend so much time here. You dont have any customers left. Look at you getting all defensive . Someone here finally called you out and asked you to prove the crap youve been posting and you CANT. Ive asked you numerous times to provide posts of things you have accused me of saying and you wont do it. You CANT do it. You need a union because your to lazy to go out and do the job properly without bending your customers over and raping them for money. Your a fool gedd, face it.
my god, i hit the "submit reply" button 3 minutes ago. what do you do, follow me around? i'm afraid if i stop short, your nose will end up in my rectum

launboy
12-16-2004, 12:11 AM
How many people are in your market out there in jersey?(in your area Bob) You make it sound like you are the only guy out there cutting grass.

Norm Al
12-16-2004, 12:27 AM
momma needs milk money and the kid needs shoes!

HOOLIE
12-16-2004, 01:48 AM
Now if you are hospitalized, when you get out they will give you a detailed summary of charges. However, they will not tell you how they "arrived" at a price of $15 for a Tylenol pill. The customer has no right, especially after the work has been done to make you break it down and explain why you charged what you did for each aspect of the job. If they ask for a price, that's what they get. Our operating expenses are none of their business. I'm in the Gedd Minority on this one.

bobbygedd
12-16-2004, 01:50 AM
that's ok hoolie, all through history, great men stood alone. it is no different with me

HOOLIE
12-16-2004, 01:58 AM
Tomorrow I'm gonna go to McDonald's, I need to know how they arrived at the price of the Big Mac. I mean, what percentage of it is for the meat, the bun, the Special Sauce? And does part of the price cover the guy cleaning the tables? Cuz I'm getting it to go, I should get some kind of rebate if I'm not dining in...

bobbygedd
12-16-2004, 02:03 AM
yea yea, me too. i want to know how much of my quarter pounder has a fee for parking lot cleaning, snow, everything. hey, they'll tell me right? it's called a breakdown

12-16-2004, 07:49 AM

$1100 for a trimmer..... that explains everthing now. We now inderstand your rates... you know... using those gold plated trimmer blades -n- such... LOL

12-16-2004, 07:51 AM
I love you guys.gals. Just when I an having a ruff day this thread takes off. Thanks!

YardPro
12-16-2004, 08:28 AM
that's ok hoolie, all through history, great men stood alone. it is no different with me

so did leapors

YardPro
12-16-2004, 08:32 AM
boby uses the same tactics any time he looses an argument (which is most of the time)

he does keep this place hopping though. I am sure that's why he's allowed to do and say what he does.
i'll bet this place wouldn't have half the action if it wasn't for all bobblehead's numerous customer issues, and his nonsense replies.

packerbacker
12-16-2004, 08:46 AM
Bobbys a fool as are ALL the people who agree with him. The customer has EVERY right to know what they are paying for since its their money. Anyone who thinks differently needs to reevaluate their business.

Ric
12-16-2004, 08:49 AM

Rodfather

It looks like BooBy needs more than a cup. A large pillow stuffed down the back of his pants and 1/2 inch steel plate over his Butt couldn't hurt. His Butt should be pretty sore, after the way it has been kicked in this thread. But then again maybe BooBy is enjoying the pain. Because He sure likes to have his Butt Kicked.

YardPro
12-16-2004, 08:53 AM
he sure does begg for it
i think he just likes to stir things up.

it gives him a sense of control that he lacks in life.
he thinks he can manipulate people here and feels in control and powerful here.

JarrodsDad
12-16-2004, 09:17 AM
Good way to talk to someone. Instead of explaining how you charge you come at them with them smart a** comment.

I agree.

It seems to me that this is a quick way to give the lawn care industry professionals a bad name!

bobbygedd
12-16-2004, 09:40 AM
that's because i quote my service, you on the otherhand grovel for work. justifying your costs to a clients is #2 , right under #1(lowering fees to get work) on the list of what it means to be a scrub. you're pathetic, and YOU give lawnboys a bad name.

packerbacker
12-16-2004, 09:46 AM
that's because i quote my service, you on the otherhand grovel for work. justifying your costs to a clients is #2 , right under #1(lowering fees to get work) on the list of what it means to be a scrub. you're pathetic, and YOU give lawnboys a bad name.

Can you provide proof of that or is it just more LIES that your making up?

bobbygedd
12-16-2004, 09:48 AM
you are married to a man. can you prove otherwise? or will your denial be just a pack of lies? SCRUB!!!!!

packerbacker
12-16-2004, 09:51 AM
you are married to a man. can you prove otherwise? or will your denial be just a pack of lies? SCRUB!!!!!

Yes i can, i have a copy of my marriage licesence right here along with a picture of my wife. Now show proof of everything you have accused me of saying. Everyone knows your a BSer gedd. You come here making things up for the sake of arguing and then you sit back and comb your mullet while everyone proves you wrong. Im done with you. Your a blight on this community and on life. I feel sorry for anyone who has to be apart of your world. They are all doomed.

bobbygedd
12-16-2004, 09:57 AM
ok, copy and paste your marriage license, but, that still doesn't prove you havn't divorced, and remarried a man. can you prove this? if you can't, you're just a liar. can you prove you're in the lawn business? give us your business name, your full name/adress/phone #, the county you work in. in fact, give us some of your clients phone numbers so i can check and see if you're telling the truth on how you deal with them. if you don't provide proof, then you are a liar

packerbacker
12-16-2004, 09:58 AM
Im going to use a 5th grade gedd line...

Someone please tell him that he's on ignore and i cant see what he's typing

bobbygedd
12-16-2004, 10:04 AM
there you go, lying thru your teeth. you're not really even in business, are you? if you can't provide proof, you are lying. i can only conclude (info from reliable sources) you are married to a man. and, youre not in business. until you prove otherwise, this is all true.

packerbacker
12-16-2004, 10:06 AM
LMAO, you really are dense. The difference is i have given you every oppurtunity to go back and find the posts of things that you have accused me of saying. Yet you wont do it. WHY?

Ill answer it. Because you made them all up. You accused me of saying things that i didnt and then when i ask for proof you run off crying.

See ya gedd, some of us have work to do. We cant just sit around all winter getting fat, combing our mullets and threatning people over a message board.

1MajorTom
12-16-2004, 10:08 AM
I'd say you guys can just whisper sweet nothings in each others ear privately, insteaad of taking these threads to battle back and forth.
Either use the private message system, or exchange email addys... if things progress nicely, then maybe you guys can exchange phone numbers. Until then though, these threads can't continue like this.