PDA

View Full Version : Spray in bedliner, which one?

FERT-TEK
12-15-2004, 07:35 PM
Considering putting a spray on bed liner in my new truck which one would you guys recommend? I know there are a few out there but know little about which is best. A couple friends have the Line-x brand and swear by it but they might be partial. If you had to choose which would you go with. I would also be interested in any bad experiences and why if you have had any.

Mo Green
12-15-2004, 07:40 PM
I just bought a new truck and was wondering the same. Around here, I have found Line-X and Rhino Guard. Both are fairly the same in cost, around $400 for a 6' bed, under the rail. Not sure of the differences, or which is better.

rookiemower
12-15-2004, 07:44 PM
Dave, my dad has three pickups with rhino liners in them and there holding up great, my uncles also have it in there trucks to. I know there in a Line-X dealer in bartlett and a rhino liner in carol stream so both are nice and close. Personally i think the line-x spray on looks alittle cleaner, just a tad less lumpy. but the rhino liner guy told me there more brittle. all i know is rhino liner has a lifetime warrenty :waving:

Harleyboy52
12-15-2004, 07:46 PM
I had a 2002 F150 Harley Davidson edition with Line-X in it and liked it very much. I never really hauled anything in it that would have scrached the bed but it was pretty. I had a friend that sprayed his HD motorcycle with Rhino Liner, fenders and tank. It looked like crap to me but he liked it. Never got scrached.

rodfather
12-15-2004, 07:56 PM
Some junk yards by me will no longer take Rhino liner beds..heard it screws with the smelting process...dunno

YardPro
12-15-2004, 08:03 PM
rhino is the big one here.

cleancutccl
12-15-2004, 08:04 PM
I got line-X because it was sprayed in thicker than the rhino. Might be because of the person spraying it, but mine works great.

Tn Lawn Man
12-15-2004, 08:08 PM
Had Rhinoliner for 3 years now....put it through the wringer....no complaints

Lawnchoice
12-15-2004, 08:09 PM
Line - X around here

If you get one, bring your trailer with you and have the ramp sprayed. You will be very happy with the results! No more slipping and rusting on the mesh.

FERT-TEK
12-15-2004, 09:01 PM
I like that idea, I think I will have the ramp sprayed. Do you know if it gets slippery when wet.

FERT-TEK
12-15-2004, 09:02 PM
thanks rookie good to hear from ya.

TurfGuyTX
12-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Had Rhinoliner for 3 years now....put it through the wringer....no complaints

I've had Rhino on mine for nearly 8 yrs. without any wear. I'll put Rhino again on any new truck I get.

Mowingman
12-15-2004, 09:42 PM
Line X is by far the better product in my opinion. I have had 5 truck beds done with Line X over the past 4 years. It gives a thicker coating, has more texture, holds it's color better, and has more "grip" than Rhino linings.
However, the quality of the lining is only as good as the application. Around here, the two Rhino places just do not apply their stuff as heavily, or as neatly as the two Line X places do. I think you should look at spray jobs done by the same dealer that will do yours, no matter which brand you go with.

Lawnchoice
12-15-2004, 10:50 PM
I like that idea, I think I will have the ramp sprayed. Do you know if it gets slippery when wet.

Not very slippery at all !

Even in the cold ( when paint seems to get slick ) it hold up. I have seen some bad falls on the back of ramps before and it won't happen to me with the application on there.

Woodman1
12-16-2004, 12:07 AM
I agree with mowingman 100%. I owned part of a small company in SC and one of the things that we did was VORTEX bed linings. Each company has a few MINOR differences, but the main two ingredients in the quality and the durability is the preparation and the application. The bed HAS to be thoroughly sanded and then all of the dust removed before the bed is sprayed or it just will not continue to stick properly. The person doing the application has to be pretty skilled and have a pattern that he sticks to or you will have areas that are leaner than others. The texture on any of them can be as smooth or as lumpy as you tell them to make it - that just comes from the way the product is sprayed (if they will do what YOU want).
Rhino has a great product but it tends to fade over time especially if left outside. Rhino sells a product now that you can "paint" over an old bed liner and make it look new. IMO Line X has a superior product and takes more pride in their work. They don't usually fade at all. Like several others have said try to see a few jobs that the company as well as the person who will be doing the work has done before you choose.
PS Have the work done in the cooler parts of the year. Water (sweat) is the worst enemy of the product during the application.

Jay

FERT-TEK
12-16-2004, 08:07 AM
Thanks Woodman because of your post I am leaning toward the Line-X. Keep those posts coming in

FERT-TEK
12-18-2004, 11:20 AM
Does anyone have any other thoughts on these. How easily can you shovel mulch or stone out of them? do the colors fade on one or the other?

soccerlawn
12-18-2004, 10:36 PM
I have the Line-X bed liner in the back of my truck, and I absolutly love it.
My vote goes for Line-X.

The Dude
12-18-2004, 10:54 PM
LINE-X and Rhino differ quite a bit. The biggest difference is that LINE-X contains polyurea and Rhino does not. Polyurea enhances the bedliner’s properties: 1. LINE-X's temperature tolerance is 250 degrees and Rhino's is 175. As the temperature of the bed approaches the temp tolerance, it loses its strength. 2. Polyurea keeps moisture out of the solution thus making a more dense and solid liner. Less moisture also means better adhesion. 3. Polyurea also makes for a harder liner. The tear strength of LINE-X is 304 pounds per linear inch (pli). Rhino is 145 pli. 4. Polyurea sets up very fast, that's one reason why LINE-X goes on with heat and high pressure. LINE-X dries in about 4 seconds, so you get an even application throughout the bed. Rhino takes a minute or so to even gel, an hour or so to dry. Before it gels, gravity can pull the liner from the top ridges in to the low valleys. Rhino’s Tuff Stuff goes on cold/low pressure and thus has that “cottage cheese” or “rain on the windshield” look. LINE-X’s high heat/high pressure system gives it a very nice finished and more consistently applied texture, it’s sort of like an orange peel. The dealer can vary the texture from smooth to very rough. 5. Polyurea makes the liner more chemical resistant, especially to organic oils and solvents.

LINE-X is the only brand with a NATIONWIDE lifetime warranty. Rhino's warranty is only with the dealer that sprayed it.

Here is a bit of history: First on the scene were epoxy based products. They were not very durable, they cracked, peeled, etc. Then, ONE-part polyurethane products came along. One-part means that the polyurethane is suspended in a solvent. A catalyst is added which starts a chemical reaction that removes the solvent so that you have just polyurethane left. They were a significant improvement over epoxy based products. Examples of today’s one-part polyurethanes include Herculiner, Duplicolor, Durabak, and Speedliner. The newest technology is TWO-part polyurethanes. Two-part means that a resin (usually a polyol resin) is mixed with isocyanate (a hardener) which renders the polyurethane. Two-part polyurethanes are harder and much more durable than one-part polyurethanes. Two-part polys are used on today’s boats, airplanes, etc. Examples of today’s products that have two-part polyurethanes include LINE-X and Rhino.

Most brands just add pigment to color the liner. Pigmented liners will fade. Most LINE-X dealers also use Dupont Nason paint. Nason paint is an automotive paint and will not fade. If you get a color match, be sure they use Nason paint as well as pigment.
Hope that helps!

FERT-TEK
12-18-2004, 11:02 PM
Dude, holy cow!!! Thanks for the info pretty much makes this a no brainer.

thepawnshop
12-19-2004, 01:16 AM
Hat's off to "The Dude"...I too am a Line-X guy, but I never knew the detail regarding the product that he does. My last truck had a Line-X bedliner and when I bought my new 3500 last month I immediately took it in for a Line-X liner as well. I now know why the line-x is better, but after doing side by side comparisons, I thought the Rhino Liner looked cheap (though I am sure it is a good product). For the money, go Line-X!

earthwerks unlimited
12-31-2004, 07:02 PM
I looked into this and wasn't satisified with the answers I got from the dealers who apply it. The bed has to be prepped just right--that is, every sq. inch has to be scuffed. Otherwise, the liner won't adhere to it. It's like painting over an oil spot--won't stick. It is not as durable as they say it is. It doesn't stop dents and dings (my buddy's truck will attest to that). It can be gouged, and it does fade with time. The fading process is an indication that sooner or later the coating will fail as it breaking down. The thickness is all due to the technician and how he feels like applying it. My buddy had the top rail portion of the bed done thinking that would protect it. Wrong. That was the first place to peel off. And besides that, the technician used a razor blade to cut the masking tape on the bed rails which scored right through the top coat and paint and eventually rusted.

Dollar for dollar I always go with quality drop-in. Bedliners sold from the truck dealer withe the ruck makers name on it, in my opinion, is a good sign of quality and testing. A truck maker tests these products extensively before they put their name on it. I think I paid like $150 for my Dodge one and the dealer installed it for free.

Toyota is touting a sprayed-in bed liner (I assume it's sprayed) for their new trucks. They show a guy on a quad smoking the tires in the bed. That has to be some really special stuff---I'm guessing an epoxy or urethane coating. Anybody seen this up close for an opinion?

j fisher
12-31-2004, 07:15 PM
If Line X is better than the Rhino in my F250, then it's one tuff product! By the way, you can re-new the color (at least with Rhino), by washing it with Murphys Soap.

lamarbur
12-31-2004, 07:54 PM
You can also do it yourself. when I got my new Dodge, I had bought "Bondo" brand urethane liner,, One gallon plus the catalyst,, Scotchbrite the inside and bought a two dollar roller,,, That was in 01 and it still holds up like new. Exact same stuff as LineX/Rhino only do it yourself.. Total cost,,$70.00 and this is hard to beat.. Only down side, and there are warning labels all over the gallon, DO NOT GET WET for first 72 hours or void warranty. I did the bed and even went up and over the rails using regular masking tape.. I left the truck inside my garage for 5 days before registering-moving it outside.. I bought it at Advance auto parts...

Sharper Edge
01-01-2005, 11:18 AM
I have gator skin 4 yrs still holding up well.

jimslawns
01-01-2005, 11:54 AM
I like the Line-X over rhino. Here a durability test for ya, take a Line-X sample and rub it against most any liner, the Line-X sample will "sand down" the other liner. Plus as long as you own the truck it is guarenteed!!!
IMHO stay away from any drop in liner, they will rust ruin a bed because they trap water and they are not very chemical resistant and can shatter in extremely cold situations. Plus they are slippery when wet. :cry:

nitrotim
01-02-2005, 11:38 PM
Do sprayed in liners pose the same threat as drop in liners regarding static electricity when sliding a fuel can across the bed?

FERT-TEK
01-04-2005, 12:09 PM
BUMP, I am considering a over the rail "roll and lock" style toneau cover for it. The dealership where I am getting the work done said that after the Line-X is applied I might not be able to fit the "roll and lock" on because of the thickness of the spray on the rail.
Do any of you guys know if this is true or have had problems with that type of application?
I wanted to go with the roll and lock style because of the ability to carry large things without having to remove a fiberglass cap. I realize in some applications a roll and lock wont be practical but for me its benefits outweigh its drawbacks.

FERT-TEK
01-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Dont ask how I managed to attach that animated image cause I dont know BUT IT WORKED!!!!!!! Anyway that is the style toneau I am considering putting on. I want that style so I can lock up tools etc. when I have to leave my rig for a while. PS I have an open trailer if you didnt figure it out.

The Dude
01-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Do sprayed in liners pose the same threat as drop in liners regarding static electricity when sliding a fuel can across the bed?

No, since the sparyed on bedliner is now part of the bed, it doesnt create the static electricity that a drop in does. A drop in liner creates the static when it moves around in the bed of the truck.

The Dude
01-04-2005, 04:53 PM
BUMP, I am considering a over the rail "roll and lock" style toneau cover for it. The dealership where I am getting the work done said that after the Line-X is applied I might not be able to fit the "roll and lock" on because of the thickness of the spray on the rail.
Do any of you guys know if this is true or have had problems with that type of application?
I wanted to go with the roll and lock style because of the ability to carry large things without having to remove a fiberglass cap. I realize in some applications a roll and lock wont be practical but for me its benefits outweigh its drawbacks.

Hard to say, Line X can be applied in varying thicknesses from 30 mil to 220 mil, Most other bed liners are a quarter inch thick or so. So if it does fit, it will be a tight fit.

FERT-TEK
01-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Hard to say, Line X can be applied in varying thicknesses from 30 mil to 220 mil, Most other bed liners are a quarter inch thick or so. So if it does fit, it will be a tight fit.
Dude, do you know what I am talking about? I am told it can be applied thinner on the top of the rails.

The Dude
01-04-2005, 09:18 PM
If it is just the tops of the rails you are worried about, ask the person not to apply it there.

FERT-TEK
01-04-2005, 09:26 PM
If it is just the tops of the rails you are worried about, ask the person not to apply it there.
I guess I cant have it both ways. I was hoping to protect the rail tops along the edges where the roll and lock rails dont cover.Thanks for your replies!

The Dude
01-05-2005, 09:07 AM
No sweat :) Whenever you decide to remove the bed rails, you can go back and have it reapplied there, color matching it should be no problem.

Carolina Cutter
01-05-2005, 04:08 PM
Dont ask how I managed to attach that animated image cause I dont know BUT IT WORKED!!!!!!! Anyway that is the style toneau I am considering putting on. I want that style so I can lock up tools etc. when I have to leave my rig for a while. PS I have an open trailer if you didnt figure it out.

Just an opinion but with the liner costing about $600 and that cover thing, I am guessing about a grand, wouldn't it be just as cheap to buy an enclosed trailer?

FERT-TEK
01-05-2005, 05:51 PM
Just an opinion but with the liner costing about $600 and that cover thing, I am guessing about a grand, wouldn't't it be just as cheap to buy an enclosed trailer?
I don't plan on keeping things in the bed of the truck, I just want the option to do that if needed. I have had both style of toneau covers in the past and prefer a roll and lock style cover over vinyl or fiberglass. I also prefer using a open trailer over an enclosed one because of its versatility in hauling my equipment and then hauling stone, mulch, nursery stock etc when needed. The down side is that it comes in handy when family members are moving, I always get the first call. One other thing is that my equipment is stored inside when not being used and an enclosed trailer wouldn't't fit in the garage I keep it in. I also pride myself on having a professional appearance which transfers into the quality of work I do. My equipment is always clean and organized, I wear a clean uniform each day I work, and have received many compliments and referrals because of this. I havn't advertised my business in over six years, have a tight rout, and have as much work as I want or need. My point in all this is that it would be difficult to find a quality enclosed trailer for $1000.00 that would meet my expectations. If I loose my storage space I might be forced to move into an enclosed trailer. For the record, I do like enclosed trailers because they act like rolling billboards and offer extra security over enclosed ones. I have never priced one out but I imagine one set up the way I would want would probably cost over 3000 including signage.
Getting back to the original topic, after reading all the posts on this topic. Thanks to all that shared their knowledge and opinions, I am going with the Line-X and will have the bed rails sprayed on a littler thinner just in case. I have worked a deal with the dealership I bought my truck from and am getting the spray in liner for 400.00. Long story on that, lets just say they screwed up the paperwork on my purchase and I am getting it at their cost for my agrivation. I cought a 2000 mistake they made and now it is all straightenend out. I also havn't decided for sure if I am going to put a cover on it at all. Phase two of this project MIGHT include either a dump insert for the truck or most likely a low boy dump trailer.

Do any of you guys that have dump inserts in their pickups know if there are ones that can be converted to a salt spreader in the winter?

Aproct
01-06-2005, 09:16 AM
FLC Dave,

I personally have the Permatech lining. I don't know if they are still around or not, but I would highly recommend that liner. I have had the line for as long as I have had he truck. I bought my truck new in March of 1999 and had the liner sprayed on within 2 weeks of owning the truck. I have hauled almost ever thing in the bed from sand to pavers to tools to truck rears to old chunks of concrete. The liner has held up fantastic! I have no regrets with doing the liner. I have ran shovels over it to scoop out the crap that I had in the back. During the busy part of the season, I would load the bed (working on getting a dump insert, more on that later) with grass clippings and dump later in the week. Just a quick shot of the hose after dumping and the bed would look like new. The liner has never cracked, peeled, faded or seperated from the bed. With the liners it all comes down to how the prep work is done.

Now, as for the dump insert. I have looked it to many of them. two things you have to ask yourself, One, if you spend 500 for a sprayed in liner, why in hell would you cover it up with a dump insert? You have to understand something, the dump bolts directly to the frae of your truck using the bed bolts. If you spray the bed bolts with the liner, then you have to cut the liner to remove the bolts and put new bolts in. If you are going to put a dump insert in, them may I suggest not putting a spray liner in. But that's just my opinion. Second, as for the dumps with a salter conversion, I would look into TruckCraft. They make a beautiful stainless steel dump insert that you attach the spreader attachment to it. The website for them is their name.

Any other questions drop me a PM.

FERT-TEK
01-06-2005, 06:30 PM
The reason I was considering the spray in liner with the dump insert is because of how corrosive salt can be over time. I really dont think I will go that route anyway, I am leaning more toward the dump trailer. For now I am all set and might look into one in a couple years.
Thanks for your reply, I am kind of stuck with the Line-X. I hear it is a quality liner anyway. That is the only liner the dealership deals with aftermarket and they are ones discounting the price. They quoted me $400.00 which is about 80 to 100 less than what I can get off the street.

The Dude
01-07-2005, 09:02 AM
Good choice with the Line X. I am sure you wont be dissapointed.

jimslawns
01-07-2005, 11:45 AM
The folks at your shop can tape/wire off the areas so that you could have that rolling top installed, They can not coat that inner edge of the bed cap so you wouldn't have any clearance issues, then they could go ahead and do the rest of the over the rail liner. They will probably charge a little extra for their labor, but you would be able to accomplish both.

GTLC
01-07-2005, 08:04 PM
Line-x!!!!

irrig8r
02-19-2007, 08:11 PM
Here it is over 2 years after this thread was started and I just discovereed it because I did a search on "bedliners".

Any of you that contributed to this change your mind?
Is your spray-in liner still holding up?

P.Services
05-04-2007, 10:44 PM
I just put durabak in my enclosed trailer and would never ever do it again. that stuff is a waste of your money. it would have cost 1,100 to line-x it and i went the cheap way for 400. If you are even thinking about using durabak DONT.