PDA

View Full Version : Peerless 5 Speed Tranny

battags
12-15-2004, 10:25 PM
I debating about tearing apart the transmission from my 36" Scag to see if I can repair 5th gear. The mower lurches forward about 10 ft then sits idle untill you push it a bit, then it lurches agian.

Does anyone have anyexperience in rebuilding a peerless 5 speed tranny? What's the best way to get the bentonite all out of the way to see what the heck im doing? Someone suggested soaking it in gas for about a week but I dont know if I like that idea.

The mower is at least 10 years old and I have no way of knowing how bad the rest of the tranny is. The other option is buying a new Peerless through J-thomas for $185.99

What do you think?

Brian

Green Care
12-15-2004, 10:31 PM
if it's only 5th gear then why you worried you cant mow at that speed I would use it until it stops those tranny are something to deal with.

I took a ragg and wipe the grease out.

mowahman
12-15-2004, 10:32 PM
my 3 yr. old Exmark Metro HP did the exact same thing....got a new one from J Thomas....easy fix. As to tearing the old one apart to fix it, it went into the steel pile weeks ago.

battags
12-15-2004, 10:48 PM
if it's only 5th gear then why you worried you cant mow at that speed I would use it until it stops those tranny are something to deal with.

I took a ragg and wipe the grease out.

Trust me, 5th gear on that thing was never very fast. Definately a "mowable" speed. 4th is a real dog. Just the fact that it's broken would bug the heck out of me. I'm fixing or replacing it, just don't know which yet.

Brian

Pecker
12-15-2004, 11:11 PM
I've gotta a Tecumseh Peerless transmission on my Toro wb. It is 4 forward and 1 reverse. Reverse never worked since I got it (used) but the forward gears worked fine. Then it got harder to get into gear and now the right shaft is coming freely in and out.

And now. . .a rant. My Toro dealer quoted me $379 for the transmission plus labor. JThomas has the same unit for $194. Even if the dealer couldn't get it cheaper than me (a nobody) they would be making $185 off me and I don't believe that a dealer is going to pay the same price for a part as its customers, so I know that's not the case. This is one project I'll be doing myself. Just think, $194 vs. $379 plus labor. Whata screwin'! Ya know, I know a dealer should make a fair profit but $185 is just plain unethical. Even if the dealer cost was $194, I'd gladly pay $225 or so to a dealer who is nice and does good work for me. It just bothers me to think that they are taking advantage of unsuspecting people. Actually it p**ses me off that the Toro dealer would take advantage of a customer like that and I don't think I'll be gettin' another Toro because of it. . .plus there's only one Toro dealer around here. . .

Good luck with yours and I think you are doing right by going with JThomas.

Richard Martin
12-16-2004, 03:56 AM
Rebuilding the Peerless 5 speed is no big deal. I do highly recommend getting the service manual though. There are parts in the tranny that can be incorrectly installed backwards.

At $200 I would just buy a new tranny and skip the whole ordeal.

Texas Mower Parts
12-16-2004, 07:09 AM
Battags,
I can match that price, If you want to give us a try.
I just need the numbers off the top of the tranny. Thanks