PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever bid a job overly high priced?

BryPaulD
12-15-2004, 11:18 PM
In hopes that you wouldn't get it, but still did?

HOOLIE
12-15-2004, 11:29 PM
I have done this before. And if you still don't want to do the job, it's not overpriced enough yet...

BryPaulD
12-15-2004, 11:37 PM
Hehehe, yep :) But still, really worth to do it.

battags
12-15-2004, 11:53 PM
I've read similar posts to this in the past and I really think it evokes an ethical question. I've tried to weigh both sides of the issue and sometimes still can't decide what I should do.

On one hand, the customer was given a specific quote for the work to be done. Caveat Emptor, right? It's thier responsibility to get quotes and check around for better pricing. After all, they should pay me more for my knowledge, experience, attention to detail, the fact that I'm insured and pay taxes, and that I'm darn cute:) to boot, right? OK, lets not forget to add the fact that I know this customer will be a HUGE pain in the a$$, calling me every hour of the day with a question, gripe, or complaint. After all, this is a business and I need to make a living, right?

The other side of the coin leans a little differently. What if this customer finds out after accepting the bid that it was a little high? Granted, any other bids from my competetiors may be lower but the customer probably does not know what kind of work they do. Heck, they probably aren't insured or have any experience. My business is 'word of mouth' and I pride myself on having faith in ANY of my existing customers to give a valuable recomendation to a prospective customer. If I take this job at an unresonably high rate and don't give the customer what they expect, can I count on them to give me a positive review?

You could 'what if' this topic to death. Honestly, the best practice is honesty. If you can't take on the job due to time constraints, don't price it high to make it worth your while. You will just end up stretching yourself too thin and disappointing an existing customer or the new one. If you dont want the job for other 'unspecified' reasons, just be as honest with the customer as you can. DONT say "I dont want your business because you are a pain in the ass". Instead, say "I have a number of jobs lined up right now. I'm afraid that if I take any more on, I may shortchange my existing customers or fail to give you the service you deserve". At this point, give them a referral to another LCO that you know does good work. Just make sure you filled that LCO in on your reasons for not taking the account and see if they are interested.

I've rambled on enough. Let us know what happens.

Brian

lawnman_scott
12-16-2004, 05:47 AM
so the customer can tell others that you are so busy you dont take new clients? I would go with the high price.

RICHIE K
12-16-2004, 06:28 AM
MANY TIMES THIS PAST SEASON. AND GOT ALL TO DO

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:

NC Big Daddy
12-16-2004, 06:56 AM
Everyday. Sometimes three or four times a day.

YardPro
12-16-2004, 07:14 AM
i don't think there is an ethical question here at all.
it you are charging high becuase the job is one that you don't want. Then the money you charge , to you, is an equitable compensation for the undesirable work.
You are charging what you feel is necessary to perform the work.

if you are charging high becuase you are already very busy, then it's just an overtime surcharge.
if it's crappy work, then you are charging what it's worth to YOU.

If you are consistantly getting work and feel that you had bid it high, you should be raising your base rates.

rodfather
12-16-2004, 07:40 AM
I just say, "thank you, I'm not interested." Why go through the motions if you don't want the job???

YardPro
12-16-2004, 08:00 AM
i do that as well.
i also will price some jobs higher due to the "suckky" factor.
if i have to ask one of my guys to do a particular crappy job, i will charge high for it and give the extra to the employee as a "thanks, i know that job was no fun" bonus....

1MajorTom
12-16-2004, 09:21 AM
I just say, "thank you, I'm not interested." Why go through the motions if you don't want the job???

This is true, I'll tell you why. Matt has bid too high in the past hoping not to get the job. He'll get it, then totally regret agreeing to the job. He'll drag his feet getting the job done, when it would have been better just to tell them "no" in the first place!

GreenMonster
12-16-2004, 09:34 AM
This is true, I'll tell you why. Matt has bid too high in the past hoping not to get the job. He'll get it, then totally regret agreeing to the job. He'll drag his feet getting the job done, when it would have been better just to tell them "no" in the first place!

I wouldn't intentionally bid high for a job I didn't want, but I have bid high for a job that was going to cost me more.

For example, I bid a walkway about an hour from my home base. So, I charged full rates for travel, fuel, additional mark-up for dealing with vendors I don't usually use, etc. So, I bid around $4k for a walk that would normally cost $2500-$3000. I ended up doing a little better on this job that I normally do.

I also bid $21 on a wall that should have cost $19k. Local guy got that one though for $17k.