PDA

View Full Version : Getting the last laugh

1MajorTom
12-16-2004, 11:19 AM
Picked up a new customer this year, a very snobby lady that thinks she is better than everyone else. We already planned to axe her for the next year, we do not keep people like her around.
She decided to take it upon herself to subtract some of the charges off of her bill. However she somehow got confused and thought she owed for two months (October and November) even though October was already paid. So she took the total for the TWO months and subtracted money from things that were done in Nomember off of her bill.
She really only owed $239.56. She however thought she owed $366.76, then proceeded to subtract $79.20 off of her bill. She sent in a check for $287.56, a difference of $48.00 extra.
I hate for this lady to think she got over on us, but Matt insists that I bite my tongue and not tell her, cause he says she aint getting back her 48 bucks.
But If we don't tell her, then she thinks she can go around doing this to anyone, subtracting off whatever she feels she shouldn't have to pay.
48 bucks aint much nowadays, I'm more than happy to forfeit that to tell her the real deal......
What should we do?? ;)

rodfather
12-16-2004, 11:23 AM
A no-brainer Jodi...keep the money and laugh to yourself IMO.

fga
12-16-2004, 11:24 AM
to make you feel better, you can lend me 48 bucks..

but i wouldn't tell her, just give her the axe and be done with it. as long as you're not at a loss, there are better things to do with your time.

grass_cuttin_fool
12-16-2004, 11:26 AM
Alot of people like this just like to be in control, if you give back the 48 bux she still thinks she is in control. I would keep the 48 bux and give her the Axe next year and in the long run you know you came out on top. I try to do what is fair and honest. I treat people just like I would like to be treated. But some of them just have to be better or think they have control of us, and they are the ones that I dont have the respect or want to work for.

packerbacker
12-16-2004, 11:28 AM
<shakes head in dissapointment>

1 more post from me today because you people preach about wanting the lawn industry to be taken seriously and then there are posts like these about stealing from customers.

What you do is call the lady up and discuss the problem with her. You find out why she wanted to short you on the bill and then come to an agreement, preferably in YOUR best interest. YOU DONT KEEP MONEY YOU HAVENT EARNED.

I cant believe that you people actually think about keeping the money. Its as bad as having someone sign up for a full year of chemicals, they pay you and then you short them on the amount of apps.

Stealing is stealing no matter how you try to justify it.

work_it
12-16-2004, 11:30 AM
Send it back to her in a Christmas card with an invoice showing deductions for the card, the stamp, gas to personally take it to the post office, and the total time spent returning it. Total refund = $1. :drinkup:

fga
12-16-2004, 11:32 AM
"1 more post from me today because you people preach about wanting the lawn industry to be taken seriously and then there are posts like these about stealing from customers.

What you do is call the lady up and discuss the problem with her. You find out why she wanted to short you on the bill and then come to an agreement, preferably in YOUR best interest. YOU DONT KEEP MONEY YOU HAVENT EARNED.

I cant believe that you people actually think about keeping the money. Its as bad as having someone sign up for a full year of chemicals, they pay you and then you short them on the amount of apps.

Stealing is stealing no matter how you try to justify it."

we have a $48 surcharge for editing a bill.

grass_cuttin_fool
12-16-2004, 11:35 AM
Ok lets look at it this way, Jodi has to sit down and figure out this mistake and then call this person and explain. What is her office time worth??? Or is she expected to do this for free, maybe list it as an admin fee

leadarrows
12-16-2004, 11:35 AM
"But If we don't tell her, then she thinks she can go around doing this to anyone, subtracting off whatever she feels she shouldn't have to pay."
I agree with this line of thought.
Pulse no matter what anyone dose to you your still responsible for your own honesty. You do get to keep what she originally owed you so thats satisfaction in it's self.

slicklawns
12-16-2004, 11:36 AM
MajorTom, three thing you need to do. Firstly cash the check, second call her and tell her that she overpaid and you are not refunding the balance and third drop her as a customer on the phone. Simple really isn't it.

rodfather
12-16-2004, 11:38 AM
[QUOTEStealing is stealing no matter how you try to justify it.[/QUOTE]

We have a saviour among us...praise the Lord.

Yes, stealing is stealing which this woman is doing btw by just arbitraily deciding what she thinks the amount should be.

She ISN'T worth $48 of your time to argue this about. Keep the 48 bucks, drop kick her to the curb, and move on in your life Jodi. Period

Green-Pro
12-16-2004, 12:12 PM
When I get started next year I've already given some thought to the question, "what if I get a snobby customer" still not sure how I'd address that issue to retain or not. One thing I am sure of and that is how I desire to run my business, I don't give a dang about what others may think and the ration of junk I'll probably get. I do know I would feel better not keeping the money, if she found out and word of mouth took over how would you control that? Anyway I try and show my kids what is right and what is not because this is how I want them to grow up, making good decisions, in this case the customer is certainly not right but neither are you.

One other thing, I sure as heck will not stand for a customer adjusting their own invoice to what they believe is a fair and reasonable price, would not take that at all, sure may be a hassle but I would pursue the legal avenues of retribution.
This is another case of what if word got around that y allowed customer to dictate invoice payment after an agreed upon price and service? I wonder if other customers found out would they be inclined to do the same?

Hope it works out for you Jodi, merry Christmas

Just my 2 cents so o.k. guys let me have it :)

G-P

dishboy
12-16-2004, 12:16 PM
Rodfather,
You got to be kidding, the lady is confused and try's to pay what she thinks she owe's so this justifies stealing from her? Cash her check , send her a statement explaining her confusion, with a Dear Jane letter and a money order [minus the cost of the money order] for the overpayment.

Norm Al
12-16-2004, 12:24 PM
i say you should,,,,,crack her over the head with a shovel!

out4now
12-16-2004, 12:26 PM
[QUOTEStealing is stealing no matter how you try to justify it.

Yes, stealing is stealing which this woman is doing btw by just arbitraily deciding what she thinks the amount should be.

She ISN'T worth $48 of your time to argue this about. Keep the 48 bucks, drop kick her to the curb, and move on in your life Jodi. Period[/QUOTE]

Amen.

coastallandscapesolutions
12-16-2004, 12:26 PM
I would write her and nice letter and thank her for her payment. However, you wrote the check for $48 to much therefore we are returning the over payment to you. Again, thank her for allowing you to serve her this year but your workload will not permit continued service for 2005.

GreenMonster
12-16-2004, 12:28 PM
ok, questions for the moral police --

what would you do when she took charges off her bill and refused to pay for services rendered?

Is this not the root of MajorTom's problem? Should Jodi and Matt have done something differently then?

Green-Pro
12-16-2004, 12:36 PM

what would you do when she took charges off her bill and refused to pay for services rendered?

When I get started next year I've already given some thought to the question, "what if I get a snobby customer" still not sure how I'd address that issue to retain or not. One thing I am sure of and that is how I desire to run my business, I don't give a dang about what others may think and the ration of junk I'll probably get. I do know I would feel better not keeping the money, if she found out and word of mouth took over how would you control that? Anyway I try and show my kids what is right and what is not because this is how I want them to grow up, making good decisions, in this case the customer is certainly not right but neither are you.

One other thing, I sure as heck will not stand for a customer adjusting their own invoice to what they believe is a fair and reasonable price, would not take that at all, sure may be a hassle but I would pursue the legal avenues of retribution.
This is another case of what if word got around that you allowed customer to dictate invoice payment after an agreed upon price and service? I wonder if other customers found out would they be inclined to do the same?
Hope it works out for you Jodi, merry Christmas

Just my 2 cents so o.k. guys let me have it

G-P

dishboy
12-16-2004, 12:52 PM

Is this not the root of MajorTom's problem? Should Jodi and Matt have done something differently then?

1. I submit another statement with my telephone # for questions. If ignored

2.I submit last statement giving a deadline for payment before legal action begins and explain why it will be in there benefit to fore-go that process.

StumpBuster
12-16-2004, 01:05 PM
I would write her and nice letter and thank her for her payment. However, you wrote the check for $48 to much therefore we are returning the over payment to you. Again, thank her for allowing you to serve her this year but your workload will not permit continued service for 2005.

Thats what I would do !! :D

packerbacker
12-16-2004, 01:21 PM

Did you read the first part of my post? I said to call her and try to reach some sort of agreement.

packerbacker
12-16-2004, 01:43 PM
[QUOTEStealing is stealing no matter how you try to justify it.

She ISN'T worth $48 of your time to argue this about. Keep the 48 bucks, drop kick her to the curb, and move on in your life Jodi. Period[/QUOTE]

First of all you dont know the WHOLE story. How do you know she didnt get confused and forget what to pay. Major already said she was confused and paid OCT twice.

My point was, instead of just keeping something that isnt yours call first and get the whole story.

And if people who DONT steal are saviours to you i suggest you step back and reevaluate. I was taught its wrong but i guess we all grow up in different families.

DGI
12-16-2004, 01:47 PM
What were the deductions for? Did she itemize them?

YardPro
12-16-2004, 01:58 PM
you want to reall tick her off, send a copy of the actual bill, with the $48.00 overpayment credit.
explain that you see that she was deducting from what she thought was the total, and that you will not accept the deductions, so her balance is only +$48.00 instead of whatever it would have been if the deductions had been made.
then ask if she would like it credited to next years service, becuase you do not offer cash refunds.

this will put YOU in control

richard coffman
12-16-2004, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE=CoastalGreenscapes]I would write her and nice letter and thank her for her payment. However, you wrote the check for $48 to much therefore we are returning the over payment to you. Again, thank her for allowing you to serve her this year but your workload will not permit continued service for 2005.[/QUOTE

I happen to like this quote the best. send the remainder of the money back and be done with the lady. I'f you don't, sooner or later she will figure it out and will take you to small claims court.... Better to be honest, than go to her level.

Respectfully,

Richard/Owner :D :D :D

Up North
12-16-2004, 02:03 PM
IMO I don't care how much of a PITA the customer is. Yeah, it's wrong for them to deduct $$ from an invoice based on what they think is owed. But then to turn around and keep a $$ amount that's overpaid on an invoice is no different. Some mention that it takes time to figure out why the numbers don't match up and you have to dig back a ways to find out where the error took place. Well, isn't that a part of doing business? It happens. Happy about it? No. But that's a part of being in business.

If it's my customer, and they are a major PITA, I would call them and let them know that payment has been received, finally. And that it was overpaid by $48 which will be returned along with a cancellation notice. Give reason for cancellation, thank her for her past business and move on.

We're in business to make a living, not get the last laugh. Again, this is my opinion on how I would handle it and am in no way telling anyone this is "how it should be done" or anything.

Buck

blair smock
12-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Run to the Bank! as fast as you can!

bobbygedd
12-16-2004, 02:50 PM
my my my. the tea, calling the kettle black? i can only assume that the services were of poor quality, or untimely, if the client thought about not paying. but that's niether here nor there. the issue at hand, is an obvious mistake the client made by overpaying the bill. not mention it? "get the last laugh?" tisk tisk tisk...is it jodi and matt, or bonnie and clyde?

KathysLGC
12-16-2004, 03:24 PM
Returning the $48 might be a good way of turning this customer from snotty to ok to deal with. It might make them trust the bill and not deduct anything. Now on the other hand if this customer has made deductions on the past for work done then i would say it's owed to me, but I wouldn't allow any deductions to happen in the first place.

I think a lot of people here think your mind is made up on keeping the money but you did ask what should be done which is a step closer to making things right. Sometimes anger clouds our way of thinking.

65hoss
12-16-2004, 05:20 PM
Send her a Christmas card thanking her for the $48 christmas bonus. Then add a line that tells her she's Fired.

YardPro
12-16-2004, 05:26 PM
my my my. the tea, calling the kettle black? i can only assume that the services were of poor quality, or untimely, if the client thought about not paying. but that's niether here nor there. the issue at hand, is an obvious mistake the client made by overpaying the bill. not mention it? "get the last laugh?" tisk tisk tisk...is it jodi and matt, or bonnie and clyde?

if he had posts every few days like that then it probably would be a work quality issue.

Tn Lawn Man
12-16-2004, 06:21 PM
Two wrongs do not make a right.

I might be the "moral police", but I would:

1. Cash the check

2. Call her and see what the problem was and if she might reconsider. (you never know she might and then you look good explaining that she overpaid anyway)

3. If she doesn't reconsider then I would inform her that you can no longer her keep her as a client for next year and THEN tell her she overpaid and you will be doing what she DID NOT and be completely honest with her and return the overpaid portion.

She can never really bad mouth you to another person legitimately. And if anyone ever said they heard that you provided poor service AND cheated a woman you can HONESTLY say you didn't.

Your reputation for quality work and honest go hand in hand.

bobbygedd
12-16-2004, 06:39 PM
yes, hang your head jodi and matt, or bonnie and clyde, whoever you are, and go to confession. the truth will set u free

pjslawncare/landscap
12-16-2004, 07:09 PM
Keep the $48.00. Tell her nothing and send her a bill for the $79.20. When she doesnt pay that, axe her then on that complaint

1MajorTom
12-16-2004, 07:28 PM
My problem is this, if she had a complaint about the bill, then she should have picked up the phone and called. Unlike your customers Gedd who complain to you continually about the quality of your work, this lady felt we should do a service for free!!!! i know you love to work for free, but people in Pittsburgh like to get paid.

splatz100
12-16-2004, 07:31 PM
tell her she needs to pay you for the stuff she deducted, then you would have some more money in your pocket

LawnBoy89
12-16-2004, 07:41 PM
tell her she needs to pay you for the stuff she deducted, then you would have some more money in your pocket

Good idea.

Are you positive she thought she had to pay for 2 monthes? Maybe she is just giving you a holiday bonus and you don't know it.

Evan528
12-16-2004, 07:53 PM
Jodi, I agree with Matt. Keep the money and have the last laugh. Nothing makes my blood boil faster then when a client decides to "adjust" a invoive without even having the curtisy to call and discuss the situation first. Deposit that check and then send a cancellation letter! :waving:

packerbacker
12-16-2004, 08:02 PM
Evan, your link doesnt work.