PDA

View Full Version : Protect sprayers from freezing

Westbrooklawn
12-16-2004, 12:23 PM
We are just starting to get freezing temps in this area. My backpack sprayers are stored in an area which is subject to freezing, and every year I take a lot of time making sure there is no liquid left in the bottom of tanks, hoses, nozzles, etc. This year after rinsing everything out I put about 2 qts of windshield washer fluid ($.99/gal.) in each sprayer and sprayed some out to make sure I got the mixture in the hoses, etc. This seems to be a very easy way to winterize sprayers, and the windshield washer fluid is good down to 35 below. In the spring I'll just flush them out .

Thought it might be a good tip to pass on.

Turf Medic
12-16-2004, 12:32 PM
We have used windshield washer fluid in the past, but planning on using RV antifreeze this year. It's the kind that goes in your drinking water system and a lot more friendly to the environment.

ztoro
12-16-2004, 12:45 PM
We have used windshield washer fluid in the past, but planning on using RV antifreeze this year. It's the kind that goes in your drinking water system and a lot more friendly to the environment.

or you can use marine antifreeze... probably the same thing....

DFW Area Landscaper
12-16-2004, 09:34 PM
I just keep mine full all winter. I park the trailer in an aluminum storage shed. It's gotten as low as 20 degrees and my equipment is fine.

Big difference if you store outside in the open or in a shed.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Carolina Cutter
12-16-2004, 10:07 PM
We are just starting to get freezing temps in this area. My backpack sprayers are stored in an area which is subject to freezing, and every year I take a lot of time making sure there is no liquid left in the bottom of tanks, hoses, nozzles, etc. This year after rinsing everything out I put about 2 qts of windshield washer fluid ($.99/gal.) in each sprayer and sprayed some out to make sure I got the mixture in the hoses, etc. This seems to be a very easy way to winterize sprayers, and the windshield washer fluid is good down to 35 below. In the spring I'll just flush them out .

Thought it might be a good tip to pass on.

Damit man..........I guess I better check mine tomm. Kinda been outta sight outta mind. Outside in the storage building, no heat, last night.....16 degrees.....I know it had some h20 and roundup in it.....wonder what the freezin temp of roundup is......LOL.

I hop it isnt ruined. Hmmmmm...tax write off????

walker-talker
12-16-2004, 10:17 PM
I use equal parts of antifreeze and water. Work it through my 200 gallon sprayer, pump it out, do my backpack sprayer and put it all back into their orginal container and save to use for next year.

ThreeWide
01-17-2005, 11:36 PM
Does your 200 gallon stay outside in the weather?

green tec
01-18-2005, 08:47 AM
We use RV antifreeze. You can spray it out on a lawn in the spring and it won't damage anything. They say It's even safe to drink although I'll pass on that. You can get it at any auto parts store. About $2.50.00 a gallon. Good to 50 below.

turf hokie
01-18-2005, 08:50 AM
I use RV antifreeze and just use it as part of my mix on the first tankful in the spring. But around here it is $6.50 a gallon. I use 4-6 gallons in a 200 gallon sprayer so that it will run through the entire system, hose, etc.

Grassmechanic
01-18-2005, 09:39 AM
I never use anti-freeze. Just drain them good. Small hand held and back pack sprayers, I just drain them, put the cap on, pressurize them, then blow the remaining water out the hoses. Done it this way for over 20 years and never had a problem. Coldest it has gotten here was around -12.

westwind
01-18-2005, 10:47 AM
-20 here the other day, never have used an antii-freeze. just empty and maintain. don't forget to service your bulk sprayer motor. always try to store inside if possible.