PDA

View Full Version : An open letter to this forum

coastallandscapesolutions
12-16-2004, 11:49 AM
I have been in the green industry since I was old enough to push a mower and cut my neighbors yard for $2.50. I am almost 43 now. I have lived on both coasts and was born in the Midwest. I am by no means an expert on any one topic. However, I do know a little at PROFESSIONALISM and what it takes to succeed in this business.

Over the last few weeks I have seen some pretty interesting threads. Some are a blast to read and make my sides hurt from laughing on a really bad day. Others I learn something from. For the most part we all enjoy them and take something away positive.

We are a very large group of intelligent people. Otherwise we would not be in business for ourselves. I know that some may argue that point but lets move past that. We have some very heated topics from time to time. Nothing is meant to be a personal attack. If it is... then whomever needs to "sign off" and move on in life. Life is to short to get caught up in some trivial argument online.

Again, we are all professionals here. I have noticed that some members almost lie in wait for someone else to come online and then they rip them. There are thousands of people who read this site, some may be your neighbors or customers. Do you really act like you type in your business? Do you want them to see your childish bickering?

I think we all need to move on from some of these childish bickering. It is not professional. There are three members that come to mind right away. One member now has something in their "signature line" about another. This is over the top and is extremely unprofessional. Let's move on and get back to what this board is all about. Yes there is one person who spends a lot of time on this site and probably rubs us all the wrong way from time to time. So what. There is no reason to get into a personal attack mode. We are all better then that and if we aren't.... we should not be in business or on this site. Do you treat your customers, friends, employees, family and your pet dog that way? Move on and let us grow our business together.

Let us all remember that Christmas is just a few days away. Let us put down our daggers, shake hands and celebrate the season and be PROFESSIONAL Business Owners.

Merry Christmas to all.

Brian

12-16-2004, 12:05 PM
"Senility Prayer"...
God grant me ...
The senility to forget the people I never liked
The good fortune to run into the ones that I do
And the eyesight to tell the difference."

wbw
12-16-2004, 12:10 PM
Well said, very well said.

SouthernYankee
12-16-2004, 12:14 PM
Wbw,

is there any way I could get your email address, I would like to ask you some things about houston. thanks SY

YardPro
12-16-2004, 12:16 PM
ditto on the well said remark

richard coffman
12-16-2004, 12:17 PM
I have been in the green industry since I was old enough to push a mower and cut my neighbors yard for $2.50. I am almost 43 now. I have lived on both coasts and was born in the Midwest. I am by no means an expert on any one topic. However, I do know a little at PROFESSIONALISM and what it takes to succeed in this business.

Over the last few weeks I have seen some pretty interesting threads. Some are a blast to read and make my sides hurt from laughing on a really bad day. Others I learn something from. For the most part we all enjoy them and take something away positive.

We are a very large group of intelligent people. Otherwise we would not be in business for ourselves. I know that some may argue that point but lets move past that. We have some very heated topics from time to time. Nothing is meant to be a personal attack. If it is... then whomever needs to "sign off" and move on in life. Life is to short to get caught up in some trivial argument online.

Again, we are all professionals here. I have noticed that some members almost lie in wait for someone else to come online and then they rip them. There are thousands of people who read this site, some may be your neighbors or customers. Do you really act like you type in your business? Do you want them to see your childish bickering?

I think we all need to move on from some of these childish bickering. It is not professional. There are three members that come to mind right away. One member now has something in their "signature line" about another. This is over the top and is extremely unprofessional. Let's move on and get back to what this board is all about. Yes there is one person who spends a lot of time on this site and probably rubs us all the wrong way from time to time. So what. There is no reason to get into a personal attack mode. We are all better then that and if we aren't.... we should not be in business or on this site. Do you treat your customers, friends, employees, family and your pet dog that way? Move on and let us grow our business together.

Let us all remember that Christmas is just a few days away. Let us put down our daggers, shake hands and celebrate the season and be PROFESSIONAL Business Owners.

Merry Christmas to all.

Brian

Brian, I couldn't agree more with ya. Very well said. :D

Respectfully,

Richard/Owner

packerbacker
12-16-2004, 12:24 PM
Costal if you really want to know how this started talk to gedd.

A couple weeks ago i asked him not to call me "son" It was very condecending and disrespectful considering my father was laying in a hospital dying and would pass a few days after that.

Then he comes at me calling me names and try to correct my english ( and being wrong at that also).

People come here looking for advice and help, some members like me will try to help them, while some like him call them losers and tell them not to bother because they will fail.

I left this site about 6 months ago because of all the crap and stuck up A-holes that post here. I thought coming back things might be different. Apparently i was wrong. Never underestimate the power of a jerk.

richard coffman
12-16-2004, 12:46 PM

A couple weeks ago i asked him not to call me "son" It was very condecending and disrespectful considering my father was laying in a hospital dying and would pass a few days after that.

Then he comes at me calling me names and try to correct my english ( and being wrong at that also).

People come here looking for advice and help, some members like me will try to help them, while some like him call them losers and tell them not to bother because they will fail.

I left this site about 6 months ago because of all the crap and stuck up A-holes that post here. I thought coming back things might be different. Apparently i was wrong. Never underestimate the power of a jerk.

packerbacker,

you should not give up the site because of a few people. Guys like us are the one's who make this site what it is. I'm sure Bobby is a nice guy, But different parts of the united states are different, and so are the folke that live here. just remember, people can't offend us unless we allow them. just my 2 cents.

Respectfully,

Richard/Owner

forgop
12-16-2004, 12:50 PM
Never underestimate the power of a jerk.

Uhh, I'm new here, but I already have enough common sense to realize that gedd is an idiot. You don't have to fight any battles with people who come here to flame the board cuz you'll be as bad as they are. Look at your actions about how you responded to him before you point the finger at him.

buddhacj7
12-16-2004, 01:01 PM

To show your maturity and professionalism just leave it alone. Be a bigger and better person by turning the other cheek. There are always people putting others down to take off them and hide their own insecurities not to say he is insecure because I do not know him and he does'nt know you I suppose. Just let it go and try to reduce the long, drawn out threads of bickering and save some energy for helping members that could use the good advice on the business like myself. Thanks to all that help us with their knowledge.

12-16-2004, 01:04 PM
Coastal if you really want to know how this started talk to gedd.

The point of my letter is to say LET US ALL MOVE ON. It does not matter who started it, why it started or where it is now. What matters is that we are a big enough person to put it behind us and focus on why we are really here.

I have a saying that I use often with my 4 kids. "You can not change the past. You live in the present and have control over the future." If you want to sign off that is your choice. Same goes for any other member. But would it not be the better choice to let by gones be gone and let's learn from each other about how we can improve ourselves and our business.

brinlee lawn
12-16-2004, 01:33 PM
I agree it gets a little out of hand on here alot, less bashing and more helping each other out.

TClawn
12-16-2004, 01:43 PM
packer backer, why don't you just put Mr. gedd on your ignore list?

bobbygedd
12-16-2004, 01:46 PM
packer backer, why don't you just put Mr. gedd on your ignore list?
because he's married to a male cross dresser, and he likes me too. yuck! merry christmas to all. god bless

Fareway Lawncare
12-16-2004, 02:40 PM
This is Old News...Lawnsite has had Bickering & Useful Info From Day 1...Many Moons Ago...

Some have Moved on...Many Have Been Banned...New Faces Appear...And the Whole Cycle Starts Again.

Infotainment.

out4now
12-16-2004, 02:42 PM
Infotainment, I like that.

jeffex
12-16-2004, 03:43 PM
aha-ah! now I remember why I haven't visited this site in awhile. I recommended it to a guy who works in my area as a source of info. I saw him in Nov. and checked it out again myself. It is just like any other soap opera. You can miss it for awhile and come back and nothing has changed. I guess some bickering is expected but get a load of the thread that strings out to 8 pages"how did you arrive at that price". 7th graders!!

12-16-2004, 05:45 PM
because he's married to a male cross dresser, and he likes me too. yuck! merry christmas to all. god bless

Bobby,

Don't you think it is time to drop it and move on. I enjoy reading most of what you have to say. Some makes me laugh when I need it. Others make me think. But this is getting to be to personal with the attacks. Can't it just stop and we all move on?

Brian

nitrotim
12-16-2004, 06:17 PM
[QUOTE=bobbygedd]because he's married to a male cross dresser, and he likes me too. yuck! merry christmas to all. god bless[/QUOTE

I would just like to say that I came to this site because I am new to the buisness and wanted to learn as much as possible. BG I have read most of your post since I joined and alot have been informational. I am not trying to pick a fight with anyone but man sometimes I really get pissed the way you represent not just of yourself but all of us who live here in New jersey. Aren't there enough jokes about our state? You obviuosly have experience and knowledge of the buisness why can't you use it in a positve manner? Just my .02

bobbygedd
12-16-2004, 06:22 PM
nitro, the best damn thing that can happen to you, is that you service one of my former clients. they will be so terrified by the treatment they recieved from me, that they will never bone you out of a nickle. you can take that to the bank!! and if they aint terrified, it means they are still my customer. i am paving the way for you new commers, like it or not. the old way is a freakin disaster, and you can thank the veterans for that. god bless and merry holidays

YardPro
12-16-2004, 06:26 PM
it's this fall into the gutters that the thread is all about..
bobby, can you not just drop it,
and to the others,
why do we get sucked into bobby's world??
we know he thrives from confrontation, and in his twisted mind he actually thinks he wins. this is what empowers him
let's not give in and just ignore all these attacks. it it gets no attention it WILL stop.

12-16-2004, 06:26 PM
nitro, the best damn thing that can happen to you, is that you service one of my former clients. they will be so terrified by the treatment they recieved from me, that they will never bone you out of a nickle. you can take that to the bank!! and if they aint terrified, it means they are still my customer. i am paving the way for you new commers, like it or not. the old way is a freakin disaster, and you can thank the veterans for that. god bless and merry holidays

If you ever want to come South for a vacation Bobby let me know. I am sure we could stir some customers up. :p

locutus
12-16-2004, 06:37 PM
Bobby kept this site alive long before most of you expert critics even owned a computer. Like it or not, Bobby generates interest on this site as witnessed by the responses and number of views to his threads, even if said interest is akin to rubber-necking a car wreck. :cool:

YardPro
12-16-2004, 06:49 PM
i agree to that locust
i think he is responsible for alot of the interest generated here.
but that said, too much of a good thing is not so good.
i think the place would be much duller without him, but I personally would like to see the personal attacks subdued a bit.

all degree
12-16-2004, 07:19 PM
Man you guys think bobby is the one giving out the personal attacks? Go back and read his threads. They start out serious and then he gets attacked, mailnly by two people IMO Geo and Ric. They call him Booby, Kinko Boy, Weasel etc. You have all seen it. I think that Bobby truly asks interestinf questions in an almost riddle like fashion that are fun to read.

Bobby is not the problem it those people on here that crave attention and are jealous of what he gets. Those are the same people that have to answer every thread question with a small quip or a snotty remark to put down others. I just dont let them get away with it. I am guilty of trying to protect Bobby and others from their BS and I will keep doing it.

I know some of you said there were three people causing the problem but I think that you are letting some of the people causing problems continue to portray themselves as upstanding citizens. Go look at any Bobby thread and see if Geo or Ric dont pop in to call him a name...unprovoked. Then Bobby protects himself by defending himself and blowing them out of the water with his wit and we all laugh and enjoy.

So ask your self who is the problem, go back and read a couple bobby threads and see where the wheels fall off.

I got you back Gedd.

12-16-2004, 07:32 PM
Back to the original message here..... scroll to the top!

bobbygedd
12-16-2004, 07:38 PM
all degree my man, my brotha. i was starting to think no one even noticed. i am the victim here. i vote we boot ric and fake cop geo. while you're at it, let's rub out yardpro. we'll keep packerbacker, he reminds me daily how smart i really am. thank you all degree. does this mean the beer is on me at sunsets?

packerbacker
12-16-2004, 07:39 PM
all degree my man, my brotha. i was starting to think no one even noticed. i am the victim here. i vote we boot ric and fake cop geo. while you're at it, let's rub out yardpro. we'll keep packerbacker, he reminds me daily how smart i really am. thank you all degree. does this mean the beer is on me at sunsets?

Let me do it again.

Your not smart.

TURF DOCTOR
12-16-2004, 07:47 PM
Amen.........

all degree
12-16-2004, 08:02 PM
Let me do it again.

Your not smart.

Wow thanks for proving my point!

Bobby- Kelly's now its winter time and I have an office in Edison if you can make a good suggestion.

packerbacker
12-16-2004, 08:04 PM
Wow thanks for proving my point!

Bobby- Kelly's now its winter time and I have an office in Edison if you can make a good suggestion.

No prob but if you go back you will notice he said something first so your point is moot.

bobbygedd
12-16-2004, 08:05 PM
what do u do in edison?

12-16-2004, 08:16 PM
does this mean the beer is on me at sunsets?

Bobby... come to the beach and the beer is on me!

Brian

Lazer_Z
12-16-2004, 08:34 PM
Coastal/Brian, I really don't know what to say but, thanks. Thanks for that uplifting post. Now I too am a BIG Bobby fan he's one hell of a guy and yes he does post some out of the blue things and yet he also posts topics that make you think. Bobby your a comic relief some times yet others you post really helpful info. But back to what Brian said it's time to move on and stop the bull sh*t just ignore anyone you think is an @ssh*le. And yes that includes Ric and well many,many others.

Rob

Brian, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you and yours.

all degree
12-16-2004, 08:35 PM
Bobby ever hear of Smith and Solomon? Tractor Trailer Driving School

dvmcmrhp52
12-16-2004, 08:45 PM
Professionalism.
Hmmm.
This is a subject that's come up before, It's also one of the reasons I spend less time posting.
We ALL have our moments of idiocy and attitude, however when the board is more entertaining than helpful or educational it becomes old and stale rather hurriedly.
I'm certainly no Mr. Rogers, but there are certainly too many
pizzing contests and my dog's bigger than your dog posts along with the whining and moaning about part timers and
this guy doesn't do business my way so he must be a lesser being than I.
"lawnsite, Professionals growing together"..........That's what it says up top..............
It would be nice to make it a reality with the acceptance of the fact that everyone is less than perfect.

Eric 1
12-16-2004, 08:57 PM
Thanks Brian. I totally agree.

crawdad
12-17-2004, 07:08 AM

I am so glad to hear that you are paving the way for the newcomers. How long have you been fulltime? Almost a year now? Wow!
Crawdad

shepoutside
12-17-2004, 08:57 AM
Man you guys think bobby is the one giving out the personal attacks? Go back and read his threads. They start out serious and then he gets attacked, mailnly by two people IMO Geo and Ric. They call him Booby, Kinko Boy, Weasel etc. You have all seen it. I think that Bobby truly asks interestinf questions in an almost riddle like fashion that are fun to read.

Bobby is not the problem it those people on here that crave attention and are jealous of what he gets. Those are the same people that have to answer every thread question with a small quip or a snotty remark to put down others. I just dont let them get away with it. I am guilty of trying to protect Bobby and others from their BS and I will keep doing it.

I know some of you said there were three people causing the problem but I think that you are letting some of the people causing problems continue to portray themselves as upstanding citizens. Go look at any Bobby thread and see if Geo or Ric dont pop in to call him a name...unprovoked. Then Bobby protects himself by defending himself and blowing them out of the water with his wit and we all laugh and enjoy.

So ask your self who is the problem, go back and read a couple bobby threads and see where the wheels fall off.

I got you back Gedd. You for real? :rolleyes:

all degree
12-17-2004, 09:13 AM
You for real? :rolleyes:

Yes I am!!!

shepoutside
12-17-2004, 09:19 AM
Bobby ever hear of Smith and Solomon? Tractor Trailer Driving School
And you think, this is safe? :p

all degree
12-17-2004, 09:25 AM
And you think, this is safe? :p

Maybe you are one of the people that is part of the problem.

northmichigan
12-17-2004, 09:41 AM
i used to post on the 'lawn care' site but the personal and familial attacks convinced me to stop. really why give advice or thoughtful questions to people that insult you? it really is best to ignore people that bug you because we'll all be dead soon anyways and in life nothing is as fragile as good times.
i've been in the landscape biz for over twenty years the frustrations we face with customers and the general public thinking we are lowlives should be addressed with barbed comments not to each other.
what ever happened to helping each other with problems.if that cop sez he's going to bust us for pissing in the bushes its a wake up call.if you let customers walk all over you at collection time post insults toward them not each other.
mj

bobbygedd
12-17-2004, 09:50 AM
I am so glad to hear that you are paving the way for the newcomers. How long have you been fulltime? Almost a year now? Wow!
Crawdad
yes crawdad, one fulltime season, and like 8 part time. how long have you been fulltime? what i need to know, is how many guys have been full time for 8, 10, 15 yrs? guess what......it is YOU PEOPLE who are responsible for the condition of the industry, and it IS IN SHAMBLES! i'm workin on it though crawdad, no need to thank me out loud, just in your heart. btw, i was thinking about doing like an inspirational gesture to you guys. i think i'll have coffee mugs made with my picture and autograph printed on them, so you are reminded every morning at first light who you can thank when your customers respect you. what do ya think? great idea or what?

txlawnking
12-17-2004, 10:00 AM
yes crawdad, one fulltime season, and like 8 part time. how long have you been fulltime? what i need to know, is how many guys have been full time for 8, 10, 15 yrs? guess what......it is YOU PEOPLE who are responsible for the condition of the industry, and it IS IN SHAMBLES!

Wow! If you stop right there, you can see some of the best words that Bobby has ever said.

A whole lot of the "experts" have contributed to the demise of the "Lawn care Industry" by letting folks rip them off and by having Lousy business practices..

Take BG with a grain of salt, and often you can find a nugget of wisdom or two.. I think he just feels bad for the newbies that post stuff like:

"The customer won't pay me, what should I do??" Sometimes he DOES have some constructive criticism for folks, and others he's an attack dog.

cutnedge
12-17-2004, 10:21 AM
i think i'll have coffee mugs made with my picture and autograph printed on them, so you are reminded every morning at first light who you can thank when your customers respect you.
Damn! Just my luck! Idon't drink coffee. You think you can work something up with Anheiser-Busch?

Norm Al
12-17-2004, 10:28 AM
bobby "this industry is in shambles"...?

911 created a world financial shambles! since then many industrys have felt the wrath of the almighty dollar squeeze,,,,,our industry is no differant!

fert/oil/gas/labor have all deteriorated to a point where at times it isnt even fun to be in business for many industrys NOT just ours!

competition is at an all time high because our industry (that of mowing) takes about one brain cell and 200 dollars to get into,,,,,,whenever the world economy feels a hit this industry feels it bigger!

jump in sit down and hang on or go pour slurpees at the local 7-11......but those are the only options!

ztoro
12-17-2004, 10:39 AM
Take BG with a grain of salt, and often you can find a nugget of wisdom or two.. I think he just feels bad for the newbies that post stuff like:

The only nuggets that come out of bobby fall in the toilet...... But I like him... Its amazing how he can still make me laugh after 6500 posts

shepoutside
12-17-2004, 10:40 AM
Maybe you are one of the people that is part of the problem.
Ahhhhhhhhh, Now I see where you are from :rolleyes:

crawdad
12-17-2004, 11:01 AM
yes crawdad, one fulltime season, and like 8 part time. how long have you been fulltime? .......blah...blah..blah...
Just a bit longer than that, and from where I stand, the industry is not in shambles. Maybe to a new guy such as yourself, who seems to have so many problems. You are always saying the industry is doomed, etc. If the industry is too tough for you, maybe you should consider another occupation.
Crawdad

work_it
12-17-2004, 11:08 AM
Amazing! What started off as a good thread has once again turned into a test of insults. Is it so hard to understand that there's a lot of people here to learn or share usefull information, and don't really care for all the BS badgering/name calling? I find it odd that everyone wants to talk about being a "professional", but can't conduct themselves as one on a public forum.

Enough said, hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.

Norm Al
12-17-2004, 11:15 AM
you sux work it,,,,get a life fool,,,,your momma!:)

work_it
12-17-2004, 11:19 AM
you sux work it,,,,get a life fool,,,,your momma!:)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Thanks! I needed a good laugh this morning.

packerbacker
12-17-2004, 11:23 AM
Just a bit longer than that, and from where I stand, the industry is not in shambles. Maybe to a new guy such as yourself, who seems to have so many problems. You are always saying the industry is doomed, etc. If the industry is too tough for you, maybe you should consider another occupation.
Crawdad

Ive been in the field for over a decade now. I got in when i was 19 years old and Ive been in business going into 5 years now. I dont know what its like in different parts of the country but here in KC the lawn industry is thriving. Im not a big company by any means. I take things very slow because i have seen dozens of companies come and go every year. Im based on quality not quantity. I have great relationships with my customers.

I cant figure out what certain people are doing here predicting their gloom and doom yet they continue to stay in the industry. There are plenty of jobs out there they can go and get and have some great job security. More power to you. LEAVE because its more for us. Its more for the people who care about their work. Its more for the people who come home after 15 hours of being out in 110 degrees and still feel good about themselfs. Its more for the people who step back and look at a job when they get done and feel like they have accomplished something.

Ill never leave. Ill never work for someone else. Ive been on both sides of the fence and the grass is greener on our side.

packerbacker
12-17-2004, 11:28 AM
Something else to, every time i turn around i see someone from Jersey in here. Im starting to wonder if the market there is just so saturated and thats why everyone seems unhappy who lives there and runs a company. Could explain alot about some posters.

bobbygedd
12-17-2004, 11:41 AM
Crawdad
are you crazy? there is no problem ? are you nuts? every freakin day i hear people getting shafted on money owed, being asked to do extra work for free, being questioned about why they charge so much, being asked to justify thier prices, etc, etc, etc. THIS ISN'T A PROBLEM??????? it's a problem to me!!!! and i'm not the only one having problems, in fact, my problems are few compared to others. i talk to guys around here everyday, in fact i talked to 3 just this morning in the immediate area that have the same problems as i do. one guy said he's owed so much money, he doesn't know what to do. he's afraid if he gets on thier back, they will dump him. another guy (a fulltime cop, and real nice guy) says two people in town have been jerking him around for months on payment, he's asking me what to do. another guy says a client owed him $400, but only sent $250 with a note, "i think this should more than cover it." THESE ARENT PROBLEMS? you are joking , right? and who do i blame? YOU!!!! and others like you. you were here first, YOU ALLOWED THIS TO HAPPEN! you bet your ass, when one of my customers and i part ways, for whatever reason, they will never consider screwing the next lawn guy. i had a 75 yr old woman on criminal charges for trying to beat me on the bill. when she got the letter to report to court, she called and all of a sudden, "was ready to pay", but guess what? NO, that was unacceptible. you will go to court, you will be in fear of the judge and courtroom setting. and that's what she did. and i bet you a 30 pack, she will NEVER screw the lawn guy again. in fact i saw her daughter at the supermarket last week, the girl looked terrified and walked the other way, quickly.

Lazer_Z
12-17-2004, 11:41 AM
packer I don't want to start a fight but you assume too much. Talk to rodfather or Turfdude and see what they have to say about jersey. For that matter talk to anyone that has been in the biz for a # of years.

packerbacker
12-17-2004, 11:44 AM
packer I don't want to start a fight but you assume too much. Talk to rodfather or Turfdude and see what they have to say about jersey. For that matter talk to anyone that has been in the biz for a # of years.

Start a fight about what?

bobbygedd
12-17-2004, 11:45 AM
yea, ok, no problem in the industry, and you have packer, who by his own admission lowers his prices to grab clientelle away from others. nope, no problem here at all ;)

packerbacker
12-17-2004, 11:48 AM
yea, ok, no problem in the industry, and you have packer, who by his own admission lowers his prices to grab clientelle away from others. nope, no problem here at all ;)

LOL, gedd, you really need to let it go! I have a feeling youve been carrying it around for a while and i feel bad for you about it. I have every right to run my company the way i see fit, if you dont like it im sorry but im not here to cater to anyone else but myself. My advice to you worry about yourself.

rodfather
12-17-2004, 11:53 AM
Something else to, every time i turn around i see someone from Jersey in here. Im starting to wonder if the market there is just so saturated and thats why everyone seems unhappy who lives there and runs a company. Could explain alot about some posters.

I think you're confused. For one, I have NEVER said I am unhappy.

packerbacker
12-17-2004, 11:55 AM
I think you're confused. For one, I have NEVER said I am unhappy.

*yawn* Sorry, ill retract that. Its seem 99% of the people here from Jersey are upset about something. Better????

bobbygedd
12-17-2004, 12:05 PM
LOL, gedd, you really need to let it go! I have a feeling youve been carrying it around for a while and i feel bad for you about it. I have every right to run my company the way i see fit, if you dont like it im sorry but im not here to cater to anyone else but myself. My advice to you worry about yourself.
yes, you have every right to destroy the industry by intentionally doing work cheaper than others. you most certainly have every right to do what you want. but remember, it is people LIKE YOU, who create problems for the rest of us. not everyone in jersey is miserable, including me. i'm not miserable at all. in fact, i'm happy see :) . now quit being a baby, it's time for joy and cheer, it's christmas, the most wonderful time of the year

packerbacker
12-17-2004, 12:17 PM
yes, you have every right to destroy the industry by intentionally doing work cheaper than others. you most certainly have every right to do what you want. but remember, it is people LIKE YOU, who create problems for the rest of us. not everyone in jersey is miserable, including me. i'm not miserable at all. in fact, i'm happy see :) . now quit being a baby, it's time for joy and cheer, it's christmas, the most wonderful time of the year

Well i guess then certain people have me to thank for driving the LOSERS out of the industry.

YardPro
12-17-2004, 12:52 PM

this is the type responses that cuase so many arguments.

making accusations that all these problems are every one else's fualt.

How long have you been in business full time bobby???
You don't see the good clients becuase other businesses that have been around longer have them locked up.

all new guys will have to sift through the garbage to find thier diamonds....
Quit pointing fingers and blaming everyone else for your problems.

denial id NOT just a river in Egypt

Green-Pro
12-17-2004, 12:59 PM
Whewwww,

Good thing Sean doesn't allow guns in here. :D

Merry Christmas everybody

G-P

crawdad
12-17-2004, 01:37 PM
are you crazy? there is no problem ? are you nuts? every freakin day i hear people getting shafted on money owed, being asked to do extra work for free, being questioned about why they charge so much, being asked to justify thier prices, etc, etc, etc. THIS ISN'T A PROBLEM??????? it's a problem to me!!!! and i'm not the only one having problems, in fact, my problems are few compared to others. i talk to guys around here everyday, in fact i talked to 3 just this morning in the immediate area that have the same problems as i do. one guy said he's owed so much money, he doesn't know what to do. he's afraid if he gets on thier back, they will dump him. another guy (a fulltime cop, and real nice guy) says two people in town have been jerking him around for months on payment, he's asking me what to do. another guy says a client owed him $400, but only sent $250 with a note, "i think this should more than cover it." THESE ARENT PROBLEMS? you are joking , right? and who do i blame? YOU!!!! and others like you. you were here first, YOU ALLOWED THIS TO HAPPEN! you bet your ass, when one of my customers and i part ways, for whatever reason, they will never consider screwing the next lawn guy. i had a 75 yr old woman on criminal charges for trying to beat me on the bill. when she got the letter to report to court, she called and all of a sudden, "was ready to pay", but guess what? NO, that was unacceptible. you will go to court, you will be in fear of the judge and courtroom setting. and that's what she did. and i bet you a 30 pack, she will NEVER screw the lawn guy again. in fact i saw her daughter at the supermarket last week, the girl looked terrified and walked the other way, quickly.

one guy said he's owed so much money, he doesn't know what to do. he's afraid if he gets on thier back, they will dump him...
So he's gonna work for free, hoping they'll pay? Sounds like you need to blame him, not us.

I'm very sorry to hear that you have so many problems collecting. Maybe you have a quality issue, or you need to weed out the people you work for a little better.
I'm not saying that there are no people around here like you describe, it's just that they are NOT my target market. What is my target market, you ask? Rich Chicks. Next year, I just may drop everyone who has no swimming pool. And those self-inflating waterbags are not considered pools. :cool:
Don't blame me for the actions of your clientele, I never mowed in New Jersey. I have done this work in two states, and have never had to bring anyone to court in order to get paid.

My clients love me, and the only notes they put in with the checks are praising and worshipping me. With little smiley faces and hearts and stuff.
Crawdad

bobbygedd
12-17-2004, 01:48 PM
now i didn't mean YOU PERSONALLY, afterall, where the hell is crawdad hollar anyhow (is that considered the usa?). i meant the people in this business before me, the "pioneers" so to speak. they set the standards, and they are not good ones

all degree
12-17-2004, 01:59 PM
*yawn* Sorry, ill retract that. Its seem 99% of the people here from Jersey are upset about something. Better????

I am with Rodfather...NJ has been good to me.

12-17-2004, 02:17 PM
Well I started this thread with good intentions. Obviously it was a waist of time. I therefore request that Sean close this thread.

rodfather
12-17-2004, 02:26 PM
Well I started this thread with good intentions. Obviously it was a waist of time. I therefore request that Sean close this thread.

I see you have only been here for 6 months or so, but I can tell you this is indicative of the behavior of many members...especially at this time of the year when they have too much free time and aren't working.

I agree, it's a shame...

ztoro
12-17-2004, 02:34 PM

why,, the bickering will just move to another thread......

rodfather
12-17-2004, 02:36 PM
why,, the bickering will just move to another thread......

Unfortunately, ain't that the truth...

Sir mowsalot
12-17-2004, 02:48 PM

^5 brother. I know exactly what your saying, and your right. My dad has been in the contracting business since the 60's and he taught me this one piece of advice. " before you do the work it is thier money, after you do the work it is your money". So when its time to pay up, your not trying to get their money, your trying to get your money. I agree one hundred percent with you bobby.

Sean Adams
12-17-2004, 03:10 PM
I'm not exactly sure what to say. I have watched this thread from the beginning. I was hoping it would ease some of the tension on the site, but it did exactly what I thought might happen - add fuel to the fire (for some at least).... So, first of all, thank you Coastal for a good thread - your heart was in the right place for sure.

And for those who tried to keep the thread moving in a positive direction, I thank you as well.

Now, as I go through this thread and make my list of who has "been naughty and nice" (little Xmas humor), I realized that there are only a few people who seem to be having a problem with oneanother. I'd like that to end now. I could say this and that and chatter a bunch about why this needs to happen, but those involved in this battle as well as this thread already know the deal....so I will just start pulling threads one after another. If it starts to head down the wrong road, yanked.

Before I took over LawnSite and PlowSite I was involved in other online forums to some degree. I learned early on that sometimes you need to let things play themselves out, hoping the members will discover the mess they are creating and begin to govern themselves. Sometimes it happens here and I love seeing it. Other times, it just gets ugly. Solution? Hmmm....

Well, I could dust off the 'ol "Ban Button" and just start blowing people off the board one at a time. The minute they get out of line or begin to ruin something positive, they are gonzo. Truth is, as much as some people may think otherwise, I hate the idea of banning anyone.

There are a lot of people on this site. There are even ore who just read and never take the time to register. I'm sure they all come here for different reasons - information, advice, insight, and yes, even entertainment. I'm not going to single anyone out in this response. Those who are regularly involved in the problems on the site need to start utilizing the features of the site (Ignore feature) as well as exercise some self-control and restraint.

Bottom line, this is a professional forum, loaded up with business owners who are not accustomed to having people tell them what to do, say, or how to act.

I think it would be a good thing to go back to the very first post n this thread. Read it again....try and figure out what he is saying. I think if we all do that the problems will not be as severe and we can all get back to using this forum for the reason it was intended....

Otherwise, I just may have to find the dust rag, and I don't want to be on anyone's hate mail list this Christmas.

bobbygedd
12-17-2004, 03:17 PM
i agree with sean, and i hang my head in shame, i am making a vow: starting wednesday, dec. 23rd, i will restrain from bickering and arguing on lawnsite for at least 10 days. this is my promise. peace to all you good people

12-17-2004, 04:15 PM
Thank you Sean. Merry Christmas.

dvmcmrhp52
12-17-2004, 05:56 PM
Good post Sean.

The majority of the posts since my own a while back,I believe speak for themselves.

Joel B.
12-17-2004, 06:31 PM
i agree with sean, and i hang my head in shame, i am making a vow: starting wednesday, dec. 23rd, i will restrain from bickering and arguing on lawnsite for at least 10 days. this is my promise. peace to all you good people

Why only "at least 10 days"? Why not from now on?

HOOLIE
12-17-2004, 06:42 PM
He might be going on vacation for those 10 days, with no access to a computer...or else he's taking the shovel in for its end-of-the-season tune-up.

crawdad
12-17-2004, 07:20 PM
i agree with sean, and i hang my head in shame,i am making a vow: starting wednesday, dec. 23rd, i will restrain from bickering and arguing on lawnsite for at least 10 days ......add sound of brown-nosing--squeak-squeeek...
Ya, and I'll be good until Jan 5 (when deer season's over)...
Crawdad

crawdad
12-17-2004, 07:26 PM
now i didn't mean YOU PERSONALLY, afterall, where the hell is crawdad hollar anyhow (is that considered the usa?). i meant the people in this business before me, the "pioneers" so to speak. they set the standards, and they are not good ones
Is it considered the usa? I reckon that depends on who you ask.
Crawdad

Flex-Deck
12-17-2004, 07:43 PM
Thanks Sean - I have been very guilty of being obnoxious, but hope I have not been that way of late. Try to contribute. Thanks Brad

Turfdude
12-17-2004, 08:51 PM

Hey PB,

I'm in an extreemly competitive area in Camden County. I have at least 5 of my competitors in my nextel. There is plentyt of work for everyone from the "scrub" to the us full service pros. The price and payment things can be problematic, but it all depends on how you represent yourself and the type of clietele you contract (note contract is the key word). You must keep up on A/R like every other business. You mustr run your business and not allow it to run you. I admit that I would rather be out landscaping all the time, but I must attend to the administrative end, or I could run into the doom & gllom scenario that BG tries to paint all of the time. I won't try to say that everyone from NJ is great, nor will I say that we're all a group of azzh@les, however, it is differing personalities and mentalities that make up our society as a whole now isn't it.

Sorry to get off base. I agree w/ what Roddy said in another thread that if you have a striong opinion about something, then post a reply. Taking a thread into a personal level and attacking someone for a differing opinion is never a wise choice. I don't always agree w/ someone and will sometimes state my $.02 on the situation. Other times, the thread is so ludacrise that it doesn't warrant a reply. Other times, the poster is right on the money and should be acknowledged or commended. Nonetheless, as Coastal said in his opening - keep it professional and stop the whining & bickering.

Lazer_Z
12-17-2004, 09:41 PM
Sorry to get off base. I agree w/ what Roddy said in another thread that if you have a Strong opinion about something, then post a reply. Taking a thread into a personal level and attacking someone for a differing opinion is never a wise choice. I don't always agree w/ someone and will sometimes state my $.02 on the situation. Other times, the thread is so ludacrise that it doesn't warrant a reply. Other times, the poster is right on the money and should be acknowledged or commended. Nonetheless, as Coastal said in his opening - keep it professional and stop the whining & bickering.

Packer look if you going to take advice from someone weather you want it or not then listen to Turfdude here or Rodfather. These 2 men have probably forgotten more than you or I or any body else will eve learn.

And packer I have nothing personal against you it's just that starting sh*t with someone is'nt always the right answer. I know at times it seems it will help but it only makes things worse in the long run.

Kelly's Landscaping
12-17-2004, 09:58 PM
[QUOTE=bobbygedd]it is YOU PEOPLE who are responsible for the condition of the industry, and it IS IN SHAMBLES!QUOTE]

I don't know what shambles means I guess, I have had 200% growth 2 years in a row and expect that for a 3rd if this is a crumbling industry then I would hate to work In booming one Id never get any sleep. You sound like a Dem that believes their own BS I heard it all last year. Oh the economy is terrible and why is that well Peter Jennings said so. Our industry is growing quite quickly but you only get out of it what you put into it.

Harry0
12-17-2004, 10:39 PM
I have been in business for 20 years. I have hustled out a living at something I enjoy. If I am part of "leaving this industry in a shamble"I could care less. I have increased my profit each and every one of the 20 years with controlled growth. Made alot of mistakes and learned from them. I keep in touch with my competition but definitely do not have them in my speed dial. Lets stop being too concerned about the "industry"and worry about your own business-Harry

geogunn
12-18-2004, 12:36 AM
I got you back Gedd.

GOOD LORD HAVE MERCY, LAWRENCE!!!

IF YOU "GOT BOBY WEASELS's back" you better have a bunch of friends willing to do a search and rescue on you!

the KNAP on the back of that KINKO COPY BOY could hide a Marine's HUMM-VEE with full armor...! YIKES!

actually LAWRENCE----the way you are sounding, you sound just like BOBBY THE BET WELSHER.

are you sure you aren't really BOB?

but LAWRENCE-- it seems you want to get into the issues with me of what is being discussed. you are doing just like BOBBY WEASEL--you called me out in this thread. I wasn't even going to comment.

not good LAWRENCE--not good............

GEO

j&c
12-18-2004, 02:02 AM
I for one have a little more to worry about than the senseless
bickering and snide remarks\ comments left by some on this board...................how many of us have friends or loved ones in harms way this holiday I can think of better things to be doing instead of belittling or harassing others nuff said....

Sands of Christmas--
I had no Christmas spirit when I breathed a weary
sigh,

And looked across the table where the bills were piled
too high.

The laundry wasn't finished and the car I had to fix,

My stocks were down another point, the Dolphins lost
by six.

And so with only minutes till my son got home from
school

I gave up on the drudgery and grabbed a wooden stool.

The burdens that I carried were about all I could
take,

And so I flipped the TV on to catch a little break.

I came upon a desert scene in shades of tan and rust,

No snowflakes hung upon the wind, just clouds of
swirling dust.

And where the reindeer should have stood before a
laden sleigh,

Eight hummers ran a column right behind an M1A.

A group of boys walked past the tank, not one was past
his teens,

Their eyes were hard as polished flint, their faces
drawn and lean.

They walked the street in armor with their rifles
shouldered tight,

Their dearest wish for Christmas, just to have a
silent night.

Other soldiers gathered, hunkered down against the
wind,

To share a scrap of mail and dreams of going home
again.

There wasn't much at all to put their lonely hearts at
ease,

They had no Christmas turkey, just a pack of MREs.

They didn't have a garland or a stocking I could see,

They didn't need an ornament--they lacked a Christmas
Tree.

They didn't have a present even though it was
tradition, the only boxes

I could see were labeled "ammunition."

I felt a little tug and found my son now by my side,

He asked me what it was I feared, and why it was I
cried.

I swept him up into my arms and held him oh so near
and kissed him on the forehead as I whispered in his
ear.

There's nothing wrong my little son, for safe we sleep
tonight,

Our heroes stand on foreign land to give us all the
right,

to worry on the things in life that mean nothing at
all,

instead of wondering if we will be the next to fall.

He looked at me as children do and said it’s always
right,

to thank the ones who help us and perhaps that we
should write.

And so we pushed aside the bills and sat to draft a
note,

to thank the many far from home, and this is what we
wrote:

God Bless You all and keep you safe, and speed your
way back home.

Remember that we love you so, and that you're not
alone.

The gift you give you share with all, a present every
day,

You give the gift of liberty and that we can't repay.

Author Unknown

all degree
12-18-2004, 09:08 AM
GOOD LORD HAVE MERCY, LAWRENCE!!!

IF YOU "GOT BOBY WEASELS's back" you better have a bunch of friends willing to do a search and rescue on you!

the KNAP on the back of that KINKO COPY BOY could hide a Marine's HUMM-VEE with full armor...! YIKES!

actually LAWRENCE----the way you are sounding, you sound just like BOBBY THE BET WELSHER.

are you sure you aren't really BOB?

but LAWRENCE-- it seems you want to get into the issues with me of what is being discussed. you are doing just like BOBBY WEASEL--you called me out in this thread. I wasn't even going to comment.

not good LAWRENCE--not good............

GEO
Definetly not Bobby. I can spell, sorry Bobby.

But see there you go again GEO with the name calling. I am trying to be serious. If you remember in another thread a few days ago I said I was going to give you another shot. I still will I assume you just forgot.

Rick Jones
12-18-2004, 09:54 AM
Definetly not Bobby. I can spell, sorry Bobby.

BTW, You spelled definitely wrong. ;)

all degree
12-18-2004, 10:18 AM
BTW, You spelled definitely wrong. ;)

I know I noticed that after I posted. Pretty funny :D

shepoutside
12-18-2004, 10:30 AM
Ahh, the off season

geogunn
12-18-2004, 11:37 AM
But see there you go again GEO with the name calling. I am trying to be serious. If you remember in another thread a few days ago I said I was going to give you another shot. I still will I assume you just forgot.

Larry
All Degree

LAWRENCE! LAWRENCE! LAWRENCE!--thank you for being serious and thank you for giving me another shot. BUT--please remember who you are addressing......an EAST TENNESSEE HILLJACK! and implying that you are giving me "another shot" implies that I missed with my "first shot".........and LAWRENCE......well, that would be worth talking about..........

but since you wanna play serious, the best way to keep me out of threads like this is don't call my name.

GEO :nono:

green_man
12-18-2004, 04:19 PM
....IF YOU "GOT BOBY WEASELS's back" you better have a bunch of friends willing to do a search and rescue on you!

are you sure you aren't really BOB?............

GEO
it amazes me that even after Sean's post somebody continues with the name-calling cr@p IN THE SAME THREAD! that's not only childish, it's contemptuous and a great opportunity to make an example of someone.

geogunn
12-18-2004, 05:24 PM
it amazes me that even after Sean's post somebody continues with the name-calling cr@p IN THE SAME THREAD! that's not only childish, it's contemptuous and a great opportunity to make an example of someone.

mr. green_man, sir--I personally want to thank you for calling that to my attention.

FWIW--the post you quoted was made without the benifit of me reading SEAN's post first. quite a number of posts were made between my last entries. I simply found the post from LAWRENCE and jumped over SEAN's to the end. later, I read all the posts that I skipped and saw SEANS' post. my bad.

but now as for you mr green_man--calling me childish and contemptious, that really isn't the issue. that is between SEAN and myself if he feels the same way you do and has something to say to me about it. the real issue is YOUR bringing it up. that is tantamount to BICKERING, and bickering is frowned upon. :nono:

sooooOOOOooo.......mr. green_man, sir........be careful who you call upon to be made an example. allrighty?

GEO :waving:

YardPro
12-18-2004, 05:34 PM
can't we all just get along.................

geogunn
12-18-2004, 05:41 PM
can't we all just get along.................

is this a trick question?

just kidding!!!

YardPro
12-18-2004, 06:25 PM
it is if you're a LA cop :)

all degree
12-18-2004, 07:04 PM
Sean could the problem be any more obvious?

geogunn
12-19-2004, 01:46 AM
LAWRENCE--you guys are very scarey. I mean all you NEW JERKEY guys. we are watching the sopranos AND THEY ARE IN new jerkey. very scarey stuff. no, I don't have HBO so we are watching it on DVD.

fga
12-19-2004, 09:04 AM
LAWRENCE--you guys are very scarey. I mean all you NEW JERKEY guys. we are watching the sopranos AND THEY ARE IN new jerkey. very scarey stuff. no, I don't have HBO so we are watching it on DVD.

i have a customer who is a replica of "Johnny Sachs". i plow his parking lots and do his whole families lawn maintenace. nice guy.

all degree
12-19-2004, 10:14 AM
I am speechless. Cant believe you continue to go on....

geogunn
12-19-2004, 10:17 AM
i have a customer who is a replica of "Johnny Sachs".

adam--I am assuming that is a sopranos character? we are only up to the second season.

GEO :D

geogunn
12-19-2004, 10:18 AM
I am speechless. Cant believe you continue to go on....

well that makes two of us you idiot!

GEO :angry:

all degree
12-19-2004, 10:22 AM
well that makes two of us you idiot!

GEO :angry:

Seriously STOP Sean is right!

geogunn
12-19-2004, 10:26 AM
Seriously STOP Sean is right!

no. you STOP first! SERIOUSLY! :laugh: :laugh:

Sean Adams
12-19-2004, 10:55 AM
OK OK OK....

Johnny Sachs ONE of my favorites on that show>>>

But Paulie Walnuts is still at the top of my list...there was actually an episode this past season about landscaping....there was a territory battle over which company mowed which lawns in the old neighborhood....long story short, one LCO got a broken arm, another was yanked down from a tree and one was hit on the back of the head with a shovel with Paulie Walnuts picking up a lawn boy and throwing it in the trunk of his caddy deville....I know competition is fierce these days...but ;)

Couldn't tell but I think they were using red machines - either eXmark or Toro? Anyone remember or do they make it so you can't see it?

geogunn
12-19-2004, 11:29 AM
....and one was hit on the back of the head with a shovel.......

and all this happened in NEW JERKEY....?

OH MY GOD! THERE REALLY IS A BOBBY (WEASEL) GEDD OUT THERE!!!

YIKES!!! :help: :help:

GEO :angel:

Lazer_Z
12-19-2004, 11:43 AM
GEO, Not everybody in Jersey is an @ssh*le. I for one try to get along with everyone I have had a few spats with my fair share of members but I just let it slide. So GEO if you can just ignore the people you don't like it's that easy.

Rob

lampeslawnservice
12-19-2004, 12:40 PM
I for one would like to know how any of us has time to work or be with family with some of the bickering that goes on.