PDA

View Full Version : digital camera usage for LOC's

richard coffman
12-16-2004, 11:51 AM
On a previous thread done, someone mentioned using a digital camera to take pictures of the property before it was started for those customers where he would feel to raise an eyebrow to. who else has thought of this and what has this done for your business? ;) ;) :D :D

Respectfully,

Richar/Owner

YardPro
12-16-2004, 12:17 PM
we take before and afters. Mainly due to us working with absentee owners (vacation homes).
most pay us before they ever see the job. i send them an email woth some pics of the completed work..

richard coffman
12-16-2004, 12:24 PM
I've been looking into buying a digital camera for the business, but didn't know what it has done for other LCO's, word of mouth is the best advertisment in my book.

Respectfully,

Richard/Owner :D :D :D

YardPro
12-16-2004, 12:26 PM
it is extremely useful.
not only for customers, but for employees as well.
if there is a problem on a job i can snap a pic and then show the problem to the employee.
it's also very good for communicating with my customers.

richard coffman
12-16-2004, 12:34 PM
thanks yardPro for the info.. which camera do you use???

YardPro
12-16-2004, 01:01 PM
i have a fairly cheap 1.3MP cannon. i will be buying at least a 4MP this year with zoom.
for us it is a really good investment.

In instances like bobby's leaf thread. a picture taken of the lawn when the cleanup was completed would cost you nothing, but would be good leverage if there is a problem down the road.

richard coffman
12-16-2004, 01:12 PM
Thanks YardPro, I've been looking at the canon A75 powershot digital camera here at the local wal mart, think it's only 3.2 mega pixl, are you looking at the powershot A85 (cannon model)???

YardPro
12-16-2004, 01:20 PM
i really don't know enough about them to have any brand choice. I'll wait until the after christmas sales and buy whatever i can get the best deal on.

mike payne
12-16-2004, 04:17 PM
I use a digital camera when I do clean ups. I take a group of shots before the work begins. After the work is done, I take the same group of shots to show what I have done. This is very helpful when the owners are away for a period of time. I use a 5 meg.digital Nikon camera to do these shots.

KINGjosh
12-16-2004, 06:49 PM
what is the least amount of megs to get a decent shot? I am in the market for a new digital camera too.

YardPro
12-16-2004, 06:51 PM
my 1.3 is OK but i would say that you should double that.
as cheap as they are getting now, i don't see why you should get less than a 4 MP

Flex-Deck
12-16-2004, 07:11 PM
This year I submitted 2 8 1/2 x 11 sheets with 4 pics on each of properties we presently do with each bid, and it has already landed me a county contract. The ranger said the pictures were a definite selling point on our operation. I am in the process of talking to a company (22 acres) of mowing, and showed the person in charge of the bids that will come in this winter the pictures about a month ago, and she was very interested in seeing them. I am submitting a formal bid in the next couple of days. With the pictures, I am now selling the job. Not just trying to bid low. In fact the first line on the bid sheet reads

"We do not intend for this to be a low-just mow bid."
"You have built the house, Now let us lay a nice thick green carpet"

I then quote mowing, fert. weed control, aeration etc. I also have at the bottom where it says "You can lock in these prices for 2 or 3 years by signing up for a longer term contract.

Thanks Brad

LLandscaping
12-16-2004, 09:27 PM
I have been looking at digital cameras, I think that you can get a good picture with a 4 mega pixel camera. The amount of optical zoom the camera has is very important. Most 4 mega pixel cameras are like 3x optical zoom, the most I have seen for a 4mega is 10x optical zoom. The 3x zoom Kodak was $199.00 and the 10x was $399.00 at Walmart. I will probably buy one after Christmas so that I can get a good deal. I think that the cameras would also be great for landscaping jobs, so that you could show the customer a before and after picture.

red raider04
12-16-2004, 09:40 PM
I bought a 5 mg kodak in july for about $350 that has served me very well. I wouldn't buy one with less than 3 mgs, if you can afford it. Supposedly the kodaks are the easiest to use (selling point for me), and then sony, olympus, and nikon, I believe. The more expensive, the more settings, and better zoom you'll get. I personallly didn't need 10 million settings, so the kodak has been fine for me. I especially make sure I take before pics when doing christmas lighting just to be on the safe side. Good luck

Harleyboy52
12-16-2004, 09:51 PM
I use a Sony Macava. I also have a great Kodak but it takes the smart card and the Sony takes a 3 1/2' floppy disk. I can take the floppy out and put in anyone's computer and show the pics. With the smart card you have to have a program installed to show the pics. I can take the floppy anywhere and send the pics to anywhere. The floppies are about 10 cents each and hold 20 pics on the most detailed setting. I haven't used the Kodak in 2 or 3 years because the Sony is so convenient. Just food for thought.

lampeslawnservice
12-17-2004, 06:54 PM
I have the Cannon PowerShot A70, which is just last year's model of the A75. It does great. The new model is even easier to use, seems that a few electronic illiterate people could not figure out how to use them without reading the instructions 3 or 4 times. I bought digital camera rechargeable batteries for it and and a 128 MB flashcard, and I can take up to 5, 3 minute movies with sound. Fits great in front pocket if going to concerts, football games, etc. Oh yeah, it's 3.2 mega pixel, with zoom.

Flex-Deck
12-17-2004, 07:37 PM
Is this thread about digital camera usage in our operations, or are we just talking about the camera we use? If that is so, forget my post about 4 posts ago - I use a Kodak 290 megapixel dealie.

T Edwards
12-17-2004, 09:40 PM
I have a crisp Ben Franklin that says you don't.