PDA

View Full Version : GPS-anyone using this?

comperk
12-16-2004, 04:16 PM
I am interested in anyone out there currently using a GPS to track employees and vehicle usage with the intention of saving on fuel costs.

bushtrimmer
12-17-2004, 08:29 AM
We've been using gps for years and don't know how people do without it. We offer full service lawn / landscape maintenance and it's great for time and material jobs especially. When we do billing, we match jobs up w/ gps and make sure we aren't missing anything. When a customer calls to say we weren't there or that we weren't there the hours reported it's a nice safety net.
Below is a link to the units we use. The model we use is the shadow tracker jr. I think originally we got 5 units and the software for somewhere around $1000, then we get a couple units as we need them for additional trucks. These need to be downloaded every couple of weeks. They also have automatic downloading units too.
I have friends that thought their guys were scamming on them, they installed units and fired appropriately. They make more money now.

http://www.advantrack.com/
Note: I could be way off on price, I dunno.

shepoutside
12-17-2004, 08:46 AM
I use them also. I have a large bus fleet too, so is not a big deal to throw them in the lawn trucks. Is great to bring them up on the laptop, in my truck, and know where they are, if I need to meet up with them. Is nice if they need to switch equipment between the trucks, I can tell them where the other truck is. One of my busses was stolen, but was able to track it, right to the chop shop, and they were busted before they got out of the truck. I don't use it to watch employee's, but is nice to be able to prove to customer's, if they were to argue a time or a service, ( never happened yet ( knock wood)) Great for the plows/loaders too, so I can just look at the screen, and give estimations as to the time of arrival, or if it's an emergency, can send over whatever is close. Well worth the investment IMO. Most GPS companies offer many report options too, but I don't use these myself, so can't comment on how they work. Good Luck

comperk
12-17-2004, 02:45 PM
In terms of dollars saved, how long do you feel it took to get your investment back. We would have to equip 20-25 trucks.

Ecobjs
12-17-2004, 04:02 PM
We haven't used them yet, but I plan to install this Year. With several trucks on the road I think it is a must. I have just been to cheap to invest. Thanks for the web site bushtrimmer.

bushtrimmer
12-17-2004, 05:36 PM
In terms of dollars saved, how long do you feel it took to get your investment back. We would have to equip 20-25 trucks.

In my case,pays for itself in 1 job missed. I'm notorious for sending a crew to a non schedule job for half a day or so. We have a lot of jobs we are payed annually for and don't track well with paperwork. So the office doesn't think anything of a lost 1/2 day for a landscape crew until the addresses don't match up.

Shep is talking about real time gps. Not for sure, but I think it's a lot more expensive. To me, no need for it. I know approximately where trucks are and can call on cell phone for emergency.

No problem giving out the web site. The guys there are great help and they have a great product at a reasonable price.

Motown
12-20-2004, 08:41 PM
In my mind GPS stands for "Great Profit System". You gotta do it Compirk! Don't wait another second! Don't be scared. You can't afford not to! Especially with gas prices where they are. If you could ride a motorcycle to do your lawncare applications would you? It's the same type thing. You're saving money everyday. You could fill that tank once every two weeks. Hey, you could probably use that extra money you save to buy a new 4X4 for yourself!