PDA

View Full Version : string jams in Echo trimmer

yardmonkey
05-20-2000, 11:12 AM
I have been using an Echo SRM2100SB trimmer.<br>Seems to be a pretty good machine, except for<br>one problem. Sometimes the string will not feed out (it has bump feed) and I have to<br>take the head apart and fix the string. What<br>I find is the the strings have crossed over<br>each other (it is a dual-string head).<br>I wonder if there is some kind of solution for this? Also I notice in reading some of<br>the threads that people seem to like the<br>Shindaiwa trimmers. Would they have this<br>problem also. I have seen in the Shindaiwa<br>literature that they are available with<br>various different heads. What kinds of<br>heads would be prefered and why?<br>And I wonder if I can use any other heads on<br>the Echo?<br>Thanks.<br>

Getmow
05-20-2000, 11:56 AM
First make sure your eyelets are round so they don't grab the string. Second, make sure when you wrap your spool that the string is tight and not crossed. I found that the round string &quot;welds&quot; more than square. I have 2501's and 2601's and use 095 square line.

Charles
05-20-2000, 01:29 PM
I agree with Getmow. And to this is going to happen sometimes with most weedeaters.But hey, no one said this business was easy. You may have to restring once or twice a day

geogunn
05-20-2000, 01:37 PM
make sure you are winding the string the right way on the spool. this is not a dumb suggestion. I've worked at home depot befor and people bring 'em in backwards all the time.<p>to prevent &quot;welding&quot; og the line and break off at the head, tap the head and advance the line till the cutter clips off just the tip of the line on a frequent basis.<p>very mportant: use good line. I like weed terminator brand.<p>oh by the way...I had a srm 2100...HATED IT! took it back. I hope you are liking yours just fine.<p>HTH<p>GEO<p><p><font size="1">Edited by: geogunn

bridges
05-20-2000, 05:19 PM
I have used echo all my life. I have not had that promblem, but my help had the problem, i always had to restring for them. Make sure that you tap the head often, cause if let the string get short that will happen.<p>----------<br>Tony<br>

pete
05-20-2000, 05:55 PM
I think the shindaiwa heads are junk. I put a hard head on mine. We just got 2 new echos and ive been thinking about changing to hardheads on those. Bump feeds always seem to be a pain. These echos havent been too bad so im not sure. A hard head is is just a plastic head that has 4 holes in it. you cut a pice of line tie a knot in the middle of it and stick it through 2 of the holes. Sounds like a pain but its real easy and fast.

gene gls
05-20-2000, 10:04 PM
I'm glad I switched to plastic blades several years back. No more wasted time messing with tangled line.

Currier
05-20-2000, 10:23 PM
Ihave an echo srm2601 I was constantly running in to your problem. Iwas stopping several ttimes per lawn and using a ton of line. I was going to trade the machine in for a stihl....When I went to the dealer they simply put a stihl head on the echo. That was two years ago. The trimmer works great now...it'slife expectancy was very short before!

Northwest
05-21-2000, 02:56 AM
Speaking of Stihl heads they are great. Easy to take off and respool. I have a Shindawia and a Stihl. The Stihl head is definitely better designed.

southside
05-21-2000, 04:27 AM
We use &quot;hard heads&quot; on pur Stihls but they<br>are made of aluminium.They are great.Chuck<br>the bump feed head in the bin.<p>Karl<br>

Mowman
05-21-2000, 08:39 AM
Depending on the head you have you must wrap the string the right way. I bought a Husquvarna 3322L this year and had the same trouble. Every time I tapped to advance line the head flew apart. After several trips back to dealer we figured out what was wrong. I was wrapping the string the wrong way. It has a c & cc with arrows telling which way to wrap. I was wrapping the c way. With it being a counterclockise trimmer it was loseinng the head. Not sure if this could be your problem.Good Luck Mowman

curlawngreen
05-21-2000, 10:19 AM
Use Stihl .095 square line.

yardmonkey
05-21-2000, 01:58 PM
Thanks for all the response.<br>I am definitely not winding the string the<br>wrong way, I suspected it a few times and<br>looked it up - winding with the CC arrow.<br>It does work, it just sometimes locks up <br>a lot with strings broken off, once I had to stop and take it apart like 6 times just edging a small yard. No good. It does seem to happen more with edging than with just trimming.<p>I think I remember not really having this<br>problem so much at first. And I was putting<br>on twice as much line. The manual says to <br>wrap a 40 foot length of line, but I bought a new head (same Echo head) just to have a backup and the package with that says to wrap a 20 foot length. I wonder why there is this descrepancy (one is a typo?). Maybe it works better with more line - I just thought of this and I'll try putting 40 ft on next time.<p>Where do you get the hard heads or who makes them? And I would assume you would be carrying a bunch of the strings with knots and would just stick a new one in whenever the string breaks or wears down? Sounds like a little more trouble than bumping but way easier than taking the head apart and restringing.<p>I'll try some square line next time.<br>And maybe a Stihl head. And I might try the plastic blades - I've seen those somewhere.<p>I'll have to go looking at the hardware<br>stores and mower dealers and see what's <br>around.<p>Thanks again.<p><p><br>

thelawnguy
05-21-2000, 02:08 PM
The owners manual that came with my Stihl trimmer addresses this problem as caused by cutting with the whole line instead of the tip. Make sure you dont mash the trimmer up against trees and such, let the tip of the line do the cutting and line welding will be a thing of the past.<p>Bill

Charles
05-22-2000, 08:12 AM
Sometime the problem is not the stringing of the echo. Its the center piece of the echo head. The white part. I will turn and once it get some wear and tear it will turn more often. Some of the echo heads are defective and this center piece will turn more often causeing the string to twist. After I put the string on I may have to restring one time. Then it works fine. Or i may not have to restring at all. But I do know I am by now an expert on stringing a weedeater.

DanG
05-22-2000, 04:32 PM
I use echo trimmers and have that problem sometimes....But I use them alot more than most people would ever use theirs.<br>I do cemetarys and have to trim around stones etc..<br>i found that if you move the cutter to the outside holes and use .095 line & just single line wind it it'll work alot better I go through anywhere from 8-10 spools a day when i'm doing alot of trimming and rarely have to stop to fix jam-ups

Oldtimer
05-22-2000, 08:33 PM
I have always considered the tap-n-go or bump feed heads to be ok for homeowners but just about useless for commercial users. There are several fixed line heads available for just about any trimmer. When you buy a spool of line be sure to buy only MN7 grade line then put it in a bucket of water and store it that way until it is used up. I sell several hundred pounds of line each year and about 2% is round, the rest is square. If you must use a homeowner head be sure to wrap it carefully and spray the line with WD40. The WD40 will prevent the lines from sticking together. (ultrasonic weld)

yardsmith
05-23-2000, 12:33 AM
get a Stihl trimmer & forget the rest-<br>had one (2 actually) for 3 yrs. & never had 1 problem with spools-they have an easy to use design, & I like their performance & longevity better<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>