PDA

View Full Version : Those Silly Small Deck Riders !?!?!

Fareway Lawncare
12-16-2004, 06:59 PM
For Everyone Who Really Really Wants a 34"-36" Mid-Mount Rider...Or Who allready Has Been Suckered into Buying One...

Do you Actually have a Full Slate of Small Lawns ?!?!

Hydro Walk vs. Silly Small 34"-36" Deck Rider on Very Small Gated Lots...

Hydro Walk Benefits

-Hydro Walk...Goes More Places...Hills Ditches..better Stability
-Hydro Walk...Gets Closer to Landscaped Areas...Less Trimming
-Hydro Walk...You can Pop the Deck Up if Necessary While Cutting...InValuable.
-Hydro Walk...You can Walk or Ride
-Hydro Walk...Lighter....Better Cut...Less Rutting...Can Zero Turn w/out Scuffing More Often than Not instead of Making Silly 3-Point Turns.

Small 34" or 36" Mid-Mount Benefits

-Mabe you can Get Chicks cause they Look Cooler to operate ?!
-You can Cut Wide open Areas faster...Which you shouldn't be Cutting Anyway w/34" or 36" Decks.

How many 37" Gates actually open Up to a Wide expanse of Lawn w/limited Landscaping ?!

coastallandscapesolutions
12-16-2004, 07:04 PM
For Everyone Who Really Really Wants a 34"-36" Mid-Mount Rider...Or Who allready Has Been Suckered into Buying One...

Do you Actually have a Full Slate of Small Lawns ?!?!

Hydro Walk vs. Silly Small 34"-36" Deck Rider on Very Small Gated Lots...

Hydro Walk Benefits

-Hydro Walk...Lighter....Better Cut...Less Rutting...Can Zero Turn w/out Scuffing More Often than Not instead of Making Silly 3-Point Turns.

Small 34" or 36" Mid-Mount Benefits

-Mabe you can Get Chicks cause they Look Cooler to operate ?!
-You can Cut Wide open Areas faster...Which you shouldn't be Cutting Anyway w/34" or 36" Decks.

How many 37" Gates actually open Up to a Wide expanse of Lawn w/limited Landscaping ?!

Hey... if Tim Allen makes one I will buy it!

locutus
12-16-2004, 07:06 PM
I have often wondered if there was a significant market for this type of mower. The only benefit so far as I can tell, would be to those who have gated lawns and for some reason or other cannot stand or walk for protracted periods of time. Other than that, seems kind of gimmicky to me.

BobwithECLC
12-16-2004, 07:13 PM
If I understand it right those small z's are marketed more towards the high income home owner than they are towards LCO's. Well just my 2 cents.

geogunn
12-16-2004, 07:21 PM
Hydro Walk Benefits

heck yeah! hydros can do all that better than a skinny Z.

and so can the BELTS!

GEO :waving:

Smalltimer1
12-16-2004, 07:23 PM
I picked up a 1968 Craftsman 6hp 25" rear engine rider yesterday for free, and it's in near perfect condition. The engine isn't scratched, the body is great, and the only thing wrong with it is the tranny is almost bad and the deck guide wheel is shot. Gonna try to get it running tomorrow.

YardPro
12-16-2004, 07:29 PM
we have a super mini z 44". does it fall into the equation????

here are the reasons i can see for even smaller decks

not having to walk behind it-- higher ground speeds

narrow gates with large back yards.

can pull spreaders, etc.
shorter so more can fit on trailer.

j fisher
12-16-2004, 08:10 PM
we have a super mini z 44". does it fall into the equation????

here are the reasons i can see for even smaller decks

not having to walk behind it-- higher ground speeds

narrow gates with large back yards.

can pull spreaders, etc.
shorter so more can fit on trailer.

Agreed. I have a "commercial" grade 34" ZT. I have a lot of 36" gates that my scag can't get through. I also have two bad knees (one pinned together), and limited use of my left ankle from a nasty break. If i were to walk a half day today behind a walker, I probably would'nt walk at all tommorow. Love my "silly little mower"

Fareway Lawncare
12-16-2004, 08:35 PM
I wouldn't Qualify the 44" or 48" w/the Suddenly Exploding Commercial 34" & 36" Mid-Mount Market. If you Want a 36" Rider that Bad...Buy a Walker or a Stander....Not a Mid-Mount...

This is a Case of The Manufacturer's creating a Market for a Totally Dysfunctional Tool.

There are Much Better Choices.

coastallandscapesolutions
12-16-2004, 08:35 PM
We have a Dixie Chopper with a 42" deck that the side of the deck slides off to make it 36" to get into a narrow gate. It only sees a little use. The main reason for it is that we have 5 properties that have these little gates and 2 acres in the back. Why some idot did not put in a bigger gate I will never know.

Evan528
12-16-2004, 08:55 PM
If I understand it right those small z's are marketed more towards the high income home owner than they are towards LCO's. Well just my 2 cents.

I sure dont know any "high income" home owenrs who mow there own lawn. As a professional I know I could never justify $5,000 for a 36 inch mower. :dizzy:

Mowingman
12-16-2004, 09:36 PM
Come down to Texas and chase around after a walkbehind for 8 or 10 hrs. in 100 degree + heat. You will see the reason for a small ZTR. 90% of the new homes here have a 36" gate that leads into a big backyard. The commercial grade, mini ZTR's ,are going to almost eliminate the market for walkbehinds here within the next year or two.
Evan,
Gravely commercial duty, 34Z, mini ZTR, sells for $3800.00. Other competing brands are about the same price.

lawnman_scott
12-16-2004, 10:23 PM
Come down to Texas and chase around after a walkbehind for 8 or 10 hrs. in 100 degree + heat. You will see the reason for a small ZTR. 90% of the new homes here have a 36" gate that leads into a big backyard. The commercial grade, mini ZTR's ,are going to almost eliminate the market for walkbehinds here within the next year or two.
Evan,
Gravely commercial duty, 34Z, mini ZTR, sells for $3800.00. Other competing brands are about the same price.And then come to florida, and I will let you ride the one I am buying in march. We dont have hills here, and dont bag so a walker would be a big long useless peice of crap. We do have small gates everywhere though.

PaulJ
12-17-2004, 08:39 AM
Far away just doesn't like any idea that isn't his or anyone who does thngs a bit differently than he thinks they shoudl be done. In the past couple of years Selveral manufacturers have started making the small ztrs. There must be a market somewhere, maybe just not in canada.

YardPro
12-17-2004, 08:43 AM
guess it boils down to the fact that if the market is "exploding" then alot of people want them......

as far as the stander, etc. there are alot of people with knee/foot issues that cannot stand all day

txlawnking
12-17-2004, 09:34 AM
Mowingman and Scott said it. The 30 something ZTR's are deffinatly aimed at the southern market. I was up in Chicago a month ago, And I could easily see why the northerners talk the way they do. Ya'll have a totally different market there than Texas, or Florida.. The small ztr's will sell like hot cakes. Here there's lots of props with gates and large back yards.

moremowing4me
12-17-2004, 09:57 AM
And then come to florida, and I will let you ride the one I am buying in march. We dont have hills here, and dont bag so a walker would be a big long useless peice of crap. We do have small gates everywhere though.

And then come to south carolina where we have 100 degree temps with 90% humidity and I will let you ride my gravely 34z on one yard and you can use a walk behind on the next and you can tell me what you think. :cool2:

lawnman_scott
12-17-2004, 11:50 AM
guess it boils down to the fact that if the market is "exploding" then alot of people want them......

as far as the stander, etc. there are alot of people with knee/foot issues that cannot stand all dayThats one of the reasons I cant get one of those.

sildoc
12-17-2004, 12:40 PM
The 34Z is probably one of the best Ideas that they came up with. What does it do?? It allows you to mow through 36" gates. What else does it do and infact probably one of the biggest things that sells it, is that it allows you to set up a crew with a Z and 21. You can not only service small lawns but also larger lawns also. You aren't saving the 30 min per acre by using a 52, 60 or 72. But then again you don't have the extra 3-6 grand these larger mowers cost also.

Norm Al
12-17-2004, 12:43 PM
tiny riders are for lazy people!

moremowing4me
12-17-2004, 12:51 PM
tiny riders are for lazy people!
LAZY? Maybe, or it could just be the fact that you want to save time and money, and/or you just have that extra money to spend so why walk

Norm Al
12-17-2004, 12:58 PM
tiny riders do NOT save time and money!

they cost way more than a walk behind and are slower in most cases than a walk behind!

YardPro
12-17-2004, 01:03 PM
whatta you know, you don't even mow anymore ... ;)

Fareway Lawncare
12-17-2004, 01:40 PM
Agreed...I Demo'd a 34" Z on one of My Routes Last season & it was a Nightmare....There was More trimming...There were More Complaints...The 21"'s had to be used in the Ditches...It's a Freakin' Mid Mount...I'd Say Lazy & Stupid !?

JPLAWNSERVICE
12-17-2004, 02:06 PM
Agreed...I Demo'd a 34" Z on one of My Routes Last season & it was a Nightmare....There was More trimming...There were More Complaints...The 21"'s had to be used in the Ditches...It's a Freakin' Mid Mount...I'd Say Lazy & Stupid !?

If you don't like them fine, don't buy one. Just because it doesn't work for you or you don't like them doesn't mean that it couldn't be a real moneymaker for anyone else. The manufacturers of these machines aren't catering just to you fareway, they build a variety of equipment to suit the needs of different people. Your just showing your stupidity when you make this kind of comment.

Fareway Lawncare
12-17-2004, 02:25 PM
well Who are they Catering to Then ?

90% of My Props have 37" Gates...

But then Again I've Never seen a 37" Gate Open up to 1 Acre or Greater eXpanse of Turf !

PrecisionLawnsInc
12-17-2004, 02:45 PM
So long as you dont have a bad back,knee,foot,etc... A stander will be more productive than both the little Z and a Walk. Demo one... You will thank me later.

Ty

splatz100
12-17-2004, 04:23 PM
I have a problem because over 75% my yards have small gates so that is why i would buy a 34z instead of a walkbehind.

JPLAWNSERVICE
12-17-2004, 05:12 PM

But then Again I've Never seen a 37" Gate Open up to 1 Acre or Greater eXpanse of Turf !

Fareway, not all people needs a 34 inch mower, and not everyone needs a 72 inch mower. First it was the stupid thread about handheld blowers and now it's this one talking about small ztrs. If you don't need one or don't like them then walk on by them at the store and quit talking about them. You don't have to come here telling people that they shouldn't be buying them.

lawnman_scott
12-17-2004, 05:50 PM
I guess i will demo before buying then. I will let you know how hard it is to carry up the stairs. Did i say stupid????????

moremowing4me
12-20-2004, 05:08 AM

75% of mine have 35/36" gates because the houses were built in like the 70's and 80's. Therefor it is necessary for me to have one.

Turfcutters Plus
12-20-2004, 08:27 PM
Hey Norm Al you are one Ignorant fool. :dizzy:

Kelly's Landscaping
12-20-2004, 09:00 PM
If exmark decides to make one I will give it some thought. I have a mix of lawn sizes I also have a need for a 72 hell I would not mind a 96 on some of my lawns. I will say this I own a 44 and was sending that out with my partner and his brother all this year. They had just that one mower and a 21-inch mower. They were turning in as many as 40 lawn cuts in a day and had they had a 34 the numbers would have went up since the 8 or so lawns they cut with a 21 would no longer require the tiny mower.

I happen to love my dealer so I will not be switching brands and have to go to multiple places for service. But if it is offered then it may be something we want. The new navigator comes with a smaller 42-inch deck. That too looks pretty good but a 2-inch savings is not worth my investment when I happen to love the small 44 I got.

brucec32
12-29-2004, 03:54 AM
You left out "you get to sit on your rear end and chill instead of standing or walking" to the "pro" column for the small riders. Not everybody is 18 y/o out there.

They're not for every job, they can't handle hills well, but that's why you should have another mower to complement it.

Soupy
12-29-2004, 05:55 AM
We have a Dixie Chopper with a 42" deck that the side of the deck slides off to make it 36" to get into a narrow gate. It only sees a little use. The main reason for it is that we have 5 properties that have these little gates and 2 acres in the back. Why some idot did not put in a bigger gate I will never know.

Wouldn't have been more cost effective to enlarge the 5 gates yourself?

YardPro
12-29-2004, 08:05 AM
Wouldn't have been more cost effective to enlarge the 5 gates yourself?

try selling that to the customers

DSIM
12-29-2004, 09:11 AM
tiny riders do NOT save time and money!

they cost way more than a walk behind and are slower in most cases than a walk behind!

Norm Al,
you are just weird, aren't you

mowerman111
12-29-2004, 09:42 AM
I have two Walker brand mowers with 36" decks and they have the 20 hp engines so I can put a bigger deck on there. If I had nothing but open fields to mow than I would have went with a 44" or bigger, but we dont, so a 36" made more sense. why have something that you cant use on every yard. we do twice as many yards in a day than our competitors, we are the only company here that has the 36" decks and my competitors always tell me that they wished the had went with the smaller decks. Anyway thats my 2 cents.

Soupy
12-29-2004, 10:54 AM
try selling that to the customers

Why not? What customer wouldn't want a free upgrade? What I do is cut the cost in half with them. I make the money back in time saved.

The above statement was more for chain link fences though. I have noticed that most privacy fences already have larger gates because they are newer.

oldturf
12-29-2004, 11:11 AM
If they are so silly then why is their an explosion in sales on them? Must be a bunch of dummies out there, huh?

Fareway Lawncare
03-22-2005, 09:28 PM
Why...My Dealer Told Me Who was Buying these Units...Usually Newer Guys...Always Solo Guys...And Guys Who Were Upgrading from Belt Drive Walks...He Sold 3 Small Deck Rider to Guys Already Using the Standers or Hydro Walks...& they all Came Back

Regardless, Gravely Makes Some Sweet Mowers...Their Larger Z's and Walks are Top Notch...But a 34" Mid Mount is Just Plain Silly.

captken
03-22-2005, 09:55 PM
Evan,
Gravely commercial duty, 34Z, mini ZTR, sells for $3800.00. Other competing brands are about the same price.

Well put. However, I would not use it on slopes, period...a walk is safer...

r.eckley
03-22-2005, 09:59 PM
I cant belive no one has said anything about mowing cemeterys. I trim the stones with a 42" now and am going to get a 34" Gravely. It will go between more stones than the 42". Yes i have larger mowers 60" & 72" but sometimes it makes sense to go smaller.

lawnman_scott
03-22-2005, 10:02 PM
Regardless, Gravely Makes Some Sweet Mowers...Their Larger Z's and Walks are Top Notch...But a 34" Mid Mount is Just Plain Silly.
Maybe to you they are silly. Ken does say they are bad on a slope, cant be a whole lot better on stairs now can they?

Kelly's Landscaping
03-22-2005, 10:02 PM
Not my brand but scag now makes a 36 inch tiger which is unlike many of the smaller mowers it is completely commercial grade. The Rep who does a few of our states in New England always tries to get me to switch so we tease each other non stop when we are at a show. I spent about 2 hours talking to him last month he said the guys down south cannot understand the concept of the smaller Z but the dealers he has in Road Island cannot get enough selling faster then any other size atm. Like it or not if you have small lawns this machine makes sense. I have a 48-inch metro and a 44-inch lazer hp. The little lazer will out cut it and out perform it by around 250% its no contest.

Soupy
03-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Maybe to you they are silly. Ken does say they are bad on a slope, cant be a whole lot better on stairs now can they?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mowingman
03-22-2005, 10:20 PM
The Gravely 34Z is hot selling item here in Texas. Really is replacing 36" walkbehinds mostly. We have sold a bunch, and all the guys who have bought them said they don't know how they ever got along without one.
Great on flat land, not so great on hills. Built very heavy duty, plenty of power, nice cut, great warranty,and a very reasonable price. Best thing about a 34" size machine, is that it will go through a 36" gate here. Most 36" gates in this area, are really not a full 36" wide.
I do not believe Skag will sell many 36" ZTR's down here. They will not go through a typical 36" gate, and they have priced them way above the competition.

Fareway Lawncare
03-22-2005, 10:38 PM
Even The Captain Must Realize all the Extra Trimming that Would be Needed w/a 34-36" Mid Mount on Small, Tightly Landcaped Props....Not to Mention the Ruts that Rider would Cause When Making Sharp Turns.

Kelly's Landscaping
03-22-2005, 10:54 PM
Nope not seeing it fareway perhaps you need some rider lessons

Smalltimer1
03-22-2005, 11:22 PM
I found out that my 1968 Craftsman 6hp/25" deck Rear engine rider is actually a carbon copy of a Gilson mower, which were very good in their day (back then). I bought a set of points and a carburetor kit for it, and I put the new points in, but it did not want to co-operate so I'm going to give it another shot later on this year, probably sometime during the summer.

EC-Rider
03-22-2005, 11:51 PM
Well let’s see if we can bring this matter some sanity shall we?? :dizzy:

The pros: payup

Some pros love them
Some pros hate them
Score? = even? Does it really matter? Yes…There’s an old saying that says, I’m getting old and trying to remember…Ah yes “money talks BS walks” LOL! Opps…sorry no pun intended. payup

The cons: :waving:

Homeowner won’t come near a W\B…Why??
Why walk when you can ride?? Say…That also looks like work! :angry: LOL!
Why exercise with a W\B when you have the fitness center or the thread mill inside the comfort of indoors a\c? I guess that’s the lazy part :sleeping: LOL!
Why exhaust yourself in 100* heat when you can have the wind in you face? :cool2:
Why pay more for a Hustler W\B when a Mini-FasTrak with a bagger cost less? (and looks better) payup
Let’s see…anything else?? Oh yes, the poor homeowner (like me) does not W\B every day, day in day out…Translation? HE’S NOT IN SAHPE FOR A W\B…And at doing it once a week, he never will! :cry:

You can get on the treadmill every day…but really…what would the neighbors think if the poor old dumb homeowner (like me) got on the W\B everyday?? LOL! :alien:
Oh yes I know I’m crazy…But who in their right mind would worry about this discussion?? LOL! :dizzy:

It’s all good! Enjoy! Peace! :angel:

PS

Please, don’t every body take this post apart all at once, it's hot already here in Louisiana for a B\S W\B LOL!

Regards,

Ec-Rider :waving:

txlawnking
03-23-2005, 12:57 AM
I'm currious to see how the 32" stander will do, if and when the dealer ever brings it for our demo..I bet it will do real well. However, it's gonna have to do REAL well to be worth the difference in price of a 32" Lesco WB.. I've been told $4200 for the Stander ( the dang thing lists for around 5400 :dizzy: ) VS. @ $1800 for a Lesco...I'm willing to bet the Lesco breaks lees and is lots cheaper to fix too..

Jpocket
03-23-2005, 07:48 AM
I'd get a stander if it's gonna be smaller than 48" personally, small sitdowns seem stupid, I think they are trying to reinvent the wheel here. a 36" hydro walkbehind w/sulky has way more versatility than a baby Z

lawnman_scott
03-23-2005, 05:59 PM
I'd get a stander if it's gonna be smaller than 48" personally, small sitdowns seem stupid, I think they are trying to reinvent the wheel here. a 36" hydro walkbehind w/sulky has way more versatility than a baby Z
Why is it stupid? Everything has its place. You have used one when???????

Fareway Lawncare
03-23-2005, 06:39 PM
EC-Rider Nailed it...Those Tiny Decks have Been on Homeowner Units for Years and Now as More and More Homeowners get into Commercial Mowing they Think "Hey I Should buy a Commercial Tiny Deck Rider"..

Stander Will Smoke Them in Tight Areas & Leave Less Trimming Afterwards and Hydro Walks will Go Where they Dare not Tread....It's a Lose Lose Situation Kids.

ed2hess
03-23-2005, 07:38 PM
I have two Walker brand mowers with 36" decks and they have the 20 hp engines so I can put a bigger deck on there. If I had nothing but open fields to mow than I would have went with a 44" or bigger, but we dont, so a 36" made more sense. why have something that you cant use on every yard. we do twice as many yards in a day than our competitors, we are the only company here that has the 36" decks and my competitors always tell me that they wished the had went with the smaller decks. Anyway thats my 2 cents.
I don't understand why Walker don't make a 36" mulching deck. I have been walking behind the hydro for 30 years and I am ready to ride.

lawnman_scott
03-23-2005, 08:11 PM
Stander Will Smoke Them in Tight Areas & Leave Less Trimming Afterwards and Hydro Walks will Go Where they Dare not Tread....It's a Lose Lose Situation Kids.
What about fair to large areas that arent tight or hilly, with no stairs? Anyway the point of the mower is it can go through a gate, and there are lots of gates a 36 cant go through. Soooooo, you would be outside the gate with your 36 hydro walk. But you could bring one of the toys to do the back I guess.

Fareway Lawncare
03-24-2005, 03:08 AM
36" Walker Decks...I Have Less Objection to an Outfront 36" Like the Walker GHS on Small Props than a Mid Mount 34"....The Entire Concept of a Mid Mount 34" is Ludicrous & Smacks of Homeowner/Part Timer Mentality.

Outdoors
03-24-2005, 10:59 AM
And then come to south carolina where we have 100 degree temps with 90% humidity and I will let you ride my gravely 34z on one yard and you can use a walk behind on the next and you can tell me what you think. :cool2:
I agree 100%,I also have a 34Z and wouldn't trade it for two hydro walks.

HayBay
03-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Walkbehinds can be equipped with a Sulkey. You do not have to walk with one of these. You can ride. Plus jumping off a Sulkey to pick up stuff like sticks or Paper on the lawn is much easier than getting off the Z rider.

moremowing4me
03-24-2005, 11:49 AM
I agree 100%,I also have a 34Z and wouldn't trade it for two hydro walks.

Did you get yours from catoes? :waving:

moremowing4me
03-24-2005, 11:53 AM
Walkbehinds can be equipped with a Sulkey. You do not have to walk with one of these. You can ride. Plus jumping off a Sulkey to pick up stuff like sticks or Paper on the lawn is much easier than getting off the Z rider.

and I have one, but it is not practical to me to use it on some of my yards. I also have a JD lawn tractor. I just choose to use the tool that saves me the most time. B/C we all know what time =

barnard
03-24-2005, 01:26 PM
I wouldn't Qualify the 44" or 48" w/the Suddenly Exploding Commercial 34" & 36" Mid-Mount Market. If you Want a 36" Rider that Bad...Buy a Walker or a Stander....Not a Mid-Mount...

This is a Case of The Manufacturer's creating a Market for a Totally Dysfunctional Tool.

There are Much Better Choices.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the don't prove effective they won't continue to sell. I can see some usefulness where foot/knee/ leg problems exist in some of us "old guys".Also lots of the guys already have the walk behinds. SO CHILL

Tvov
03-24-2005, 02:21 PM
This thread started back in December! Our next "small" mower (34) is probably going to be a hydro with sulky. Ride as much as possible, take off sulky for hills and real tight areas. It even seems odd to me to get a hydro that small, but the hydros are much more manueverable (sp?) when pulling a sulky. My guys have mentioned wanting a 48" ZTR, am looking into that. But I would rather either get bigger (another 60") or smaller. A 2 man crew with 60" ZTR and 34" walk behind can do a wide variety of lawns.

This really isn't worth getting excited about! Whatever works for you.

Fareway Lawncare
03-24-2005, 02:28 PM
Years from now Future Generations will Look Back @ these Mini Mid-Mounts and Wonder "What the Heck Were they Thinking ?"

AL Inc
03-24-2005, 02:37 PM
I actually have that mower in my garage, I found it in the trash last year and actually got it to run. Wish I had the sulky like that, though. Good conversation piece

SouthernYankee
03-24-2005, 02:38 PM
Yet again,

Some of you guys that hate 34"ztrs are missing the point. Fareway, no offense, but how hot can it get in Canada? Have you ever been to the South in the summer time when its 95 degrees with 100% humidity?

I have lived in Massachusetts most of my life and it never really gets hot there, and there is not very much humidity. Until four years ago when I came to Alabama for school, I didnt know what hot and humid was. You cant even imagine what it is like when its summertime in Alabama and before all of you say that small ztrs are pointless, come on down to the south and experiance actual hot summer.

EC-Rider
03-24-2005, 10:39 PM
First let me just say that instead of ridiculing the dumb homeowner (like me) or our esteemed colleague brethren for NOT using a walk-behind…when was the last time you seen one for sale at Home Cheapo?? ;)

Aha! There must be a MARKET! And “MONEY TALKS AND BS WALKS”! LOL! payup

Also, when you ridicule that poor old dumb homeowner, remember that friends, mom, dad, brother, sister, cousin, grandpa, grandma, in-laws (well, maybe not them LOL!) May all be dumb homeowners, and you are ridiculing them! :cry:

So please, if we are trying to improve our business perspective, increase our profits and knowledge, but lack due respect for our clientele, may I respectfully submit that we have failed already? :cry:
Moreover, I’ve been on the EC-Ride of this business for the better part of some 25+ years, I have seen them come and seen them go…some because the personality or attitude did not match the business, others because they made the wrong purchase decisions. Now having said that, I have also seen some succeed in spite of that b\c they had respect for their clientele and w\b that extra mile LOL! payup

Whoa! Now lets get back to the green business shall we?

W\B’s will always be around in one form or another, I mean after all, they’re made for the pro b\c: payup

He may be starting out, with low capital, makes a 6k investment and assuming he’s got a pickup truck, (we all have one here in the south LOL!) he puts it in the back of the small $600.00 trailer along with stick edger, trimmer, rake, trash bag etc. and he’s off! :waving:

Make any sense?? I know guys that do that…this one in particular I’ve known for the last eight years (great guy even though he’s a lovable grump! LOL!) Has been doing it for 20 years…well at least that’s what he told me…feeds six kids, plus him and the wife. Does not have a ZTR nor would he recommend one for his area b\c the ground is soft (the greater New Orleans area sinks LOL!) and the entire properties average 50X100. Moreover, would you believe the homes of his clientele average over 200k and have very narrow streets?? Go figure LOL! :dizzy:

On the other side of the spectrum, the guys who cut my neighbor’s yard used a BS W\B with a sulky last year, and I thought that was cool! :cool2:
But THEY apparently DID NOT…after only that one time; I haven’t seen one W\B on their (Cadillac) trailer since then…LOL! ;)

They now only use a 60” ZTR and are in and out of the property in less than 30 minutes, including trimming! LOL!
Oh yeah…it’s three guys, but still impressive to me considering they also edge and use a 21” for the rear to get thru the narrow 36” gate that he put up only last year to do the rear, and apparently they did not lose any time because of the new fence\ gate on the rear.
Go figure! But then again, what do I know? LOL! :dizzy:

Well actually their clientele are all state lots, on hard clay ground, new construction with few trees…make any sense?? payup

Well anyway, this one dumb homeowner…$***! Strike that! I said we were off that subject! LOL! :blush:
Ok back to the homeowner, the one I seen them use the W\B on only once LOL!
He had been mowing his own grass before with a Murray tractor rider, the Home Cheapo version...Noisiest thing you ever want to hear. He did that for a whole year and THEN, all of the sudden left it to the pros.
At first I thought it was because since he owns a hotel, he probably charges it to the business for a tax break. ;)

However, he spends upwards of at least two weeks weeding and planting every year, and that’s more than the two days I spend! :p
So then really…was it the Murray or was it Memorex LOL! Go figure! :dizzy:

Well I hope this puts a different light into this thread. :angel:

It’s all good! Enjoy! Peace! :D

PS
The names have been changed to protect the innocent. LOL! :angel:

Regards,

EC-Rider :waving:

PMLAWN
03-24-2005, 11:32 PM
First let me just say that instead of ridiculing the dumb homeowner (like me) or our esteemed colleague brethren for NOT using a walk-behind…when was the last time you seen one for sale at Home Cheapo?? ;)

Aha! There must be a MARKET! And “MONEY TALKS AND BS WALKS”! LOL! payup

Also, when you ridicule that poor old dumb homeowner, remember that friends, mom, dad, brother, sister, cousin, grandpa, grandma, in-laws (well, maybe not them LOL!) May all be dumb homeowners, and you are ridiculing them! :cry:

So please, if we are trying to improve our business perspective, increase our profits and knowledge, but lack due respect for our clientele, may I respectfully submit that we have failed already? :cry:
Moreover, I’ve been on the EC-Ride of this business for the better part of some 25+ years, I have seen them come and seen them go…some because the personality or attitude did not match the business, others because they made the wrong purchase decisions. Now having said that, I have also seen some succeed in spite of that b\c they had respect for their clientele and w\b that extra mile LOL! payup

Whoa! Now lets get back to the green business shall we?

W\B’s will always be around in one form or another, I mean after all, they’re made for the pro b\c: payup

He may be starting out, with low capital, makes a 6k investment and assuming he’s got a pickup truck, (we all have one here in the south LOL!) he puts it in the back of the small $600.00 trailer along with stick edger, trimmer, rake, trash bag etc. and he’s off! :waving:

Make any sense?? I know guys that do that…this one in particular I’ve known for the last eight years (great guy even though he’s a lovable grump! LOL!) Has been doing it for 20 years…well at least that’s what he told me…feeds six kids, plus him and the wife. Does not have a ZTR nor would he recommend one for his area b\c the ground is soft (the greater New Orleans area sinks LOL!) and the entire properties average 50X100. Moreover, would you believe the homes of his clientele average over 200k and have very narrow streets?? Go figure LOL! :dizzy:

On the other side of the spectrum, the guys who cut my neighbor’s yard used a BS W\B with a sulky last year, and I thought that was cool! :cool2:
But THEY apparently DID NOT…after only that one time; I haven’t seen one W\B on their (Cadillac) trailer since then…LOL! ;)

They now only use a 60” ZTR and are in and out of the property in less than 30 minutes, including trimming! LOL!
Oh yeah…it’s three guys, but still impressive to me considering they also edge and use a 21” for the rear to get thru the narrow 36” gate that he put up only last year to do the rear, and apparently they did not lose any time because of the new fence\ gate on the rear.
Go figure! But then again, what do I know? LOL! :dizzy:

Well actually their clientele are all state lots, on hard clay ground, new construction with few trees…make any sense?? payup

Well anyway, this one dumb homeowner…$***! Strike that! I said we were off that subject! LOL! :blush:
Ok back to the homeowner, the one I seen them use the W\B on only once LOL!
He had been mowing his own grass before with a Murray tractor rider, the Home Cheapo version...Noisiest thing you ever want to hear. He did that for a whole year and THEN, all of the sudden left it to the pros.
At first I thought it was because since he owns a hotel, he probably charges it to the business for a tax break. ;)

However, he spends upwards of at least two weeks weeding and planting every year, and that’s more than the two days I spend! :p
So then really…was it the Murray or was it Memorex LOL! Go figure! :dizzy:

Well I hope this puts a different light into this thread. :angel:

It’s all good! Enjoy! Peace! :D

PS
The names have been changed to protect the innocent. LOL! :angel:

Regards,

Could you please summarize this in 10 words or less

EC-Rider
03-25-2005, 12:48 AM
Could you please summarize this in 10 words or less

Actually I thought I only used four…or was it five?? LOL! ;)

Ok here we go second paragraph! payup

“Money talks and BS walks” meaning…“One sided can’t see greener on other side”

Hope that helps, you did say ten words or less?? payup

Regards,

Tvov
03-25-2005, 10:55 AM
:

Ummm.... What? :dizzy: Besides condensing :realmad: your post :) try using :rolleyes: less than ;) 445 smilies :waving: :dizzy: :cry: per post. :waving: :D :alien:

EC-Rider
03-25-2005, 06:34 PM
Ummm.... What? :dizzy: Besides condensing :realmad: your post :) try using :rolleyes: less than ;) 445 smilies :waving: :dizzy: :cry: per post. :waving: :D :alien:

Hey! There’s a couple there I didn’t use. Humm…Guess I’ll have to find a place for them…maybe I can redo the post and find a place for them?? May have to be a longer post thou…or maybe I can use two sides instead of one sided…oops! Sorry no pun intended.

Thanks! LOL! :alien:

Boy let me tell you… I don't get no respect! LOL! :angry:

Now I know how Rodney Dangerfield feels! LOL! Except I don’t get the big bucks from my business…LOL! :realmad:

To make matters worst, today was a full day of grass cutting for me, and wouldn’t you know it, I hit a landscape stone near the fence put there to keep the dogs from digging out…On top of that I can’t find my angle grinder to re-sharpen and re-balance my brand new blades! :help:

Talk about no respect and a bad day to top it off! LOL! :p

Regards,

EC-Rider :waving::

Tvov
03-25-2005, 09:21 PM
LoL, good response!

Fareway Lawncare
04-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Gravely Should take This 34" Deck...A Good Size.... and Put it on a Stand On or Hydro Walk Tractor...Now That Would Be Something....

proenterprises
04-02-2005, 06:24 PM
Gravely Should take This 34" Deck...A Good Size.... and Put it on a Stand On or Hydro Walk Tractor...Now That Would Be Something....

It's all about productivity Calvin. I think small deck Z's are great. Granted I do not personally own one, but from others I have spoken to, they are a great thing. Much more maneuverable that a walkbehind.

r.eckley
04-02-2005, 08:00 PM
I about had my mind made up to buy a GRAVELY 34 Z but i went by a shop the other day to get some pts. & saw a WRIGHT SENTAR SPORT with a 36" deck and it really looks good. I want something compact to use in cemetery. Guess now i will have to demo both.Decisions , decisions ,decisions.

captken
04-02-2005, 08:11 PM
If they are so silly then why is their an explosion in sales on them? Must be a bunch of dummies out there, huh?

I wouldn't say that, I would say that there are a lot of uninformed consumers.

CHUCK'SLAWN
04-02-2005, 09:44 PM
After i bought my gravely 34Z i sold my 36" exmark beltdrive & my 48" exmark hydro. The 34Z not only cut alot of mowing time but at the end of day i felt good & could actually walk after having dinner. also many of my customers commented that it had a better cut than the walkbehinds. I have one thing to say about walkbehinds I'm glad they are behind me!!!

John Gamba
04-25-2005, 07:15 AM
I about had my mind made up to buy a GRAVELY 34 Z but i went by a shop the other day to get some pts. & saw a WRIGHT SENTAR SPORT with a 36" deck and it really looks good. I want something compact to use in cemetery. Guess now i will have to demo both.Decisions , decisions ,decisions.

Did you try the sentar sport?

John

lawnman_scott
04-25-2005, 07:18 AM
After i bought my gravely 34Z i sold my 36" exmark beltdrive & my 48" exmark hydro. The 34Z not only cut alot of mowing time but at the end of day i felt good & could actually walk after having dinner. also many of my customers commented that it had a better cut than the walkbehinds. I have one thing to say about walkbehinds I'm glad they are behind me!!!
I couldnt agree more.

Tvov
04-25-2005, 07:20 AM

If I was going to buy another small mower, I would consider a 34" mower before 36" in order to fit through gates.

Oops, I think I already posted something similar to this.

Fareway Lawncare
07-16-2005, 09:13 PM
You Kids Will Buy anything....26" Metros and 34" Mid Mounts....

Its No Wonder there's No Real Competition in the Res. Market....Like Taking Candy From a Baby.

The C Man
07-16-2005, 09:26 PM
And a particular Canadian troller is too obvious in his need for attention by trying to breathe life into one of his own threads that's been dormant for over 2 months.

Nope, there's not much competition in the residential market when you're mowing lawns for 20-25 Canadian dollars. You must be livin' high on the hog - gonna supersize your dinner tonight?

dishboy
07-16-2005, 11:25 PM
You Kids Will Buy anything....26" Metros and 34" Mid Mounts....

Its No Wonder there's No Real Competition in the Res. Market....Like Taking Candy From a Baby.

That silly 26 Metro has raised my hourly take home pay, but I learned how to make money on the HRC 216, so being fast with a heavy machine is not a issue.
You have to know how and where to use this machine along with the Suzuki 21 and 36 TTHP but I assure you the Metro 26 added to a trailer on a two man crew is faster than a just a a proline and TTHP.

Evergreenpros
07-17-2005, 01:26 AM
Reduced workman's comp claims from riding on a mower as opposed to walking all day behind one. I have no employees on the landscaping side of my biz but on the cleaning side we pay in excess of 20k per year just in premiums. Have a few claims in a year and you could easily add 5k per year to that number. Actually it's called Labor and Industry Tax in Washington, but it's the same thing as workmans comp.

Plus, it's probably easier to find people to ride all day as opposed to walk all day. Opens up your labor pool a lot.

brucec32
09-08-2005, 10:10 PM
scenario:

You live in the south and have two types of lawns. Bermuda, and Tall Fescue, plus some weedpatch lawns with tall growing grasses like quackgrass, goosegrass, foxtail, and crabgrass.

Bermuda lawns require bagging or use of a mulching deck. Bagging is a pain and takes time and requires hauling tons of clippings around. So you use the mulch kit on one mower. 50% of your lawns will require mulching.

You still need a mower set up to handle the tall fescue and weedpatch lawns, which when growing fast clog up a mulching deck and even if you can mulch it, it slows it down a lot. So you need one deck set up to discharge for these lawns.

You mow some lawns that are wide and expansive. Others that are small and require a small/medium sized deck.

30% of your lawns also have gates that are either 36 or 48 inches in width, usually. Some are not small, they just have small gates.

You have room on your trailer for two primary mowers plus a 21".

You aren't a spring chicken, humidity and heat are a bigger problem here in the south than up North, and you want to stay fresh and save your legs as much as possible for other tasks.

You need a mower deck set up to mulch, that is also narrow enough to get through at least 48" gates, but for every one it won't fit through, you'll need to pull out the 21".

So, choosing a 34" ZTR and setting it up to mulch would make a whole lot of sense if you have these conditions. Yes, it's too small for the Bermuda lawns that are large, but for other large lawns you have a bigger ztr set up to discharge on them.

It's all about trade offs. The more you want to use large deck ZTR's, the more you will wind up using a 21" because you lack the ability to mulch with it on small/medium Bermuda lawns where clippings laying around on top of the grass is unacceptable.

I would either choose a 44" ztr and 48" ZTR, one set up to mulch, one set up to discharge, plus a 21" for the narrow gates,

or a 34Z and a 52 ZTR, the 34z for gates and mulching bermuda lawns (which tend to be smaller on average) and the bigger ZTR for wide areas and tall grass. You then need never touch a 21".

Factor in hills and you might change the mix. But the point is that their is NO ONE BEST SETUP. I don't have any accounts now that require a slope mower. I don't like slopes. So my need for a wb has gone way down.

I know I will be buying a 2nd ZTR, I'm just not sure which yet. I did a lawn today with the mulching deck that I could have done in 20 min less time with a mower set up to discharge. I have a 44" toro wb that I've used for that, but it's getting old and so am I.

lawnman_scott
09-08-2005, 10:28 PM
Once again, to make this argument make any sence we need to hear from the 34 rider owners that are not happy with them.

dishboy
09-08-2005, 11:30 PM
So where is Fareway?????????????
I asked last week and my thread was moved and then disapeared by the next morning?

THIESSENS TLC
02-07-2011, 08:08 PM
I'll agree with that.....$6000 for a 34" rider or $1600 for a 34" walker. I'll take the walker, its good exercise anyways!

Jason Rose
02-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Umm, wow, thread from 2004 that was made by a member that hasn't been on here in years! HAHA

sildoc
02-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Umm, wow, thread from 2004 that was made by a member that hasn't been on here in years! HAHA

Just cause we haven't posted in a while doesn't mean we don't lurk in the dark!
Been 3 years since I have posted until last week, always check to see whats going on, just get tired of answering the same questions, when all they have to do is do a search.

good to be back though.

sanjeef I'll agree with that.....$6000 for a 34" rider or $1600 for a 34" walker. I'll take the walker, its good exercise anyways!

That and I think the hydro walk behinds are more around the 4-6k range, bout the same as a rider. Depends on what your using it for. More walking means less speed and less speed means less money!

Jason Rose
02-07-2011, 09:53 PM

I was refering mostly to Fareway. lol. Though i'll never forget the infamous "walkbehind stuck in a back yard that he had taken it down a flight of stairs"

sildoc
02-07-2011, 09:56 PM
I was refering mostly to Fareway. lol. Though i'll never forget the infamous "walkbehind stuck in a back yard that he had taken it down a flight of stairs"

Yes.. One of the reasons I still lurk is to get a good laugh. I can say for certain I am sure there isn't one of us out there that hasn't looked back and said "seemed like a good idea at the time!"

outlaw1960
02-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Dang, miss Bobby Gedd and Fareway.....they were fun!

Jason Rose
02-08-2011, 09:42 AM
They are still on the web... Just on a different forum...
Posted via Mobile Device

sildoc
02-08-2011, 10:39 AM

Yeah, Bobby Gedd, Went through a whole winter bragging on this amazing machine he was building, it was suppose to be the best money maker ever!!!! Every one was wondering and guessing at what it was.
The whole time all he was doing was working out.

captken
02-28-2011, 07:42 PM
Been 3 years since I have posted until last week, always check to see whats going on, just get tired of answering the same questions, when all they have to do is do a search.

good to be back though.

Here! Here!

Clark Griswold
02-28-2011, 07:59 PM

I could only imagine, that would have been funny as hell!

Bobbiy Gedd is on another forum that I frequent & he is the only one that will start new thread's and then will trample & bash all over the people that post on it, I guess that's his MO!

This guy is a complete piece of work, but funny and amusing!