PDA

View Full Version : Customer offers you a beer on the job.

coastallandscapesolutions
12-16-2004, 07:07 PM
A customer offers you a beer while working in their yard, opened, what do you do?

packerbacker
12-16-2004, 07:08 PM
I dont drink on the job, if you got pulled over for having a light out on the trailer and he smelled beer... big trouble

Rhett
12-16-2004, 07:16 PM
Depends on the customer. Last job of the day and a long time customer, I would stop and have a beer with them. That means one beer and not six. Sometimes they just want to talk and what a great ice breaker. Have been doing a LCO a favor while he recovers from surgery and his customers offer me beer at 1000 and that is a different matter, FREE BEER IS GOOD

richard coffman
12-16-2004, 07:27 PM
well, If it was opened, and they offered it to me, I'd come up with some excuse and tell them that i can't drink this while I'm still at work and got more work to do, i could get in trouble and loose my license. better to play it safe than not.

dishboy
12-16-2004, 07:31 PM
It depends on if I was thirsty or not. End of the day, one beer BFD.

bobbygedd
12-16-2004, 07:34 PM
an OPEN CAN OF BEER? no way, i'd tell them i can't drink on the job.

K c m
12-16-2004, 07:37 PM
I like to drink. :D

not on the job though :angry:

KINGjosh
12-16-2004, 07:38 PM
If its past noon, and they offer me a beer I will always accept it! Nothing like tipping up a cold one on a hot summer day! One beer and that is it, unless its my last stop for the day, then its a 2 beer maximum. Infact its funny that you bring this up. I always set this one customer up to be the last house i visit because every time i am done cutting the grass he will come out with a beer and we will sit and talk it up for about 5-10 mins and we have been doing this for several months now! BTW its only 1 mile from my home and 2 beers does not get me legally drunk!

Rhett
12-16-2004, 07:39 PM
Yep and I am the pope. Bob

packerbacker
12-16-2004, 07:41 PM
If its past noon, and they offer me a beer I will always accept it! Nothing like tipping up a cold one on a hot summer day! One beer and that is it, unless its my last stop for the day, then its a 2 beer maximum. Infact its funny that you bring this up. I always set this one customer up to be the last house i visit because every time i am done cutting the grass he will come out with a beer and we will sit and talk it up for about 5-10 mins and we have been doing this for several months now! BTW its only 1 mile from my home and 2 beers does not get me legally drunk!

Funny, im 6'3, 240 lbs and 2 beers puts me over the legal limit, drunk or not, you may not pass a breathalizer

TURF DOCTOR
12-16-2004, 07:43 PM
It has happend, a few times, i have tried 1 or 2 cans of beer most of the time 95 percent i don't drink and work.

12-16-2004, 07:57 PM
OK you two... knock it off. If you can't play with the big dogs then go home to the front porch with the puppies!

packerbacker
12-16-2004, 07:58 PM
OK you two... knock it off. If you can't play with the big dogs then go home to the front porch with the puppies!

What are you talking about ?
:angel:

12-16-2004, 08:01 PM
What are you talking about ?
:angel:

It seems the posts that I was referring to have been deleted.

packerbacker
12-16-2004, 08:02 PM
It seems the posts that I was referring to have been deleted.

Hmmmm, i think you might of had to many of the customers beers.

Lux Lawn
12-16-2004, 08:02 PM
I don't drink on the job I have had 1 here and there in the past but not now.

captaingreen
12-16-2004, 08:08 PM
A few years ago I was at my last stop of the day, this place was about 3 acres and was about 3 days overdue in the spring when we have alot of lush growth on an already over fertilized TruGreen lawn. I finished mowing and the customer, the couple were both lawyers, came out and offered me a beer, at first I said no thanks, then she says, it's cold Heineken, I couldn't help had to accept. However I worried most of the way home even though it was all in the country, won't happen again.

Rhett
12-16-2004, 08:16 PM
Packer, Take a deep breath and let it go. Maybe it is just a internet forum, or the panties are to tight.

Hope You Feel Better
Rhett

Garden Panzer
12-16-2004, 08:18 PM
I drink on the job, so I'd have no problem drinking that beer.... several others, as well.....
:drinkup:

12-16-2004, 08:18 PM
an OPEN CAN OF BEER? no way, i'd tell them i can't drink on the job.

For you Bobby they would tap a keg. :p

packerbacker
12-16-2004, 08:23 PM
Packer, Take a deep breath and let it go. Maybe it is just a internet forum, or the panties are to tight.

Hope You Feel Better
Rhett

What are you talking about?

Evergreenpros
12-16-2004, 08:28 PM
A customer offers you a beer while working in their yard, opened, what do you do?

Just tell him if you drink anymore on the job today, you're gonna puke. :D

12-16-2004, 08:30 PM
Just tell him if you drink anymore on the job today, you're gonna puke. :D

Puke or seduce his wife.....

12-16-2004, 08:31 PM
What are you talking about?

I believe what he is referring to are several posts that were deleted from this site. They were only viewed for a couple of minutes if that.

KINGjosh
12-16-2004, 08:34 PM
I drink on the job, so I'd have no problem drinking that beer.... several others, as well.....
:drinkup:

As they say, SOLUTE

packerbacker
12-16-2004, 08:35 PM
I believe what he is referring to are several posts that were deleted from this site. They were only viewed for a couple of minutes if that.

Really? :rolleyes: yeah i know, listen up guys, i didnt say a thing to him this evening but he started in again so i was defending myself. From now on though consider it dropped and no matter what 5th grade antics he pulls i will not respond. Ill be the bigger person and ignore him.

12-16-2004, 08:39 PM
Cool.... Packer.

Never drink and drive.... you might spill your drink - George Carlin

jaybird
12-16-2004, 08:40 PM
yes i would drink the beer, i am human you know. (part).

all ferris
12-16-2004, 08:50 PM

I'd have to say "let's get boozed up" :drinkup:

I'd drink the one he offered then offer him one of mine :D

Braxton
12-16-2004, 08:51 PM
um...I don't drink period. How offended would a customer be if I told 'em that? Anyone ever have a customer get really angry in this situation?

Braxton

all ferris
12-16-2004, 08:59 PM
I've had people offer me left handed cigaretts before while i was cutting (appartment complex). I don't smoke.

walker-talker
12-16-2004, 09:03 PM
I have been offered and glady accepted, but only once. It was a Friday and the last job of the day. I think I actually drank two or them and shot the sh!t for 30 minutes. Another time I received them as a tip, but did not drink them.....I had a whole days work ahead of me.

Green-Pro
12-16-2004, 09:12 PM
um...I don't drink period. How offended would a customer be if I told 'em that? Anyone ever have a customer get really angry in this situation?

Braxton

I don't drink either, used to, not much, but never really liked it. I'm more of a caffiene freak, ya know coLD cOLD COLD ICED TEA, AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

So how 'bout it, anyone got an answer to Braxtons question? I'd like to know to.

:cool2:
G-P

Lazer_Z
12-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Let me take a shot in the dark here. Ok well the way I see it if you just say a plain old "No Thank you" it shold be no problem you don't have to tell them your life story about why you don't drink. Just my .02

Hope I was a little helpful.

bobbygedd
12-16-2004, 09:40 PM
am i missing something, or are all of you? he said, " AN OPEN CAN OF BEER", as opposed to a unopened can. either way though, beer are like lays potato chips, you can't just have one

Drew Gemma
12-16-2004, 09:48 PM
I love booze but I want to be a professional so unfortunatly I have to act like One so no beer. I hate the rule but I gotta live with it.

Lazer_Z
12-16-2004, 10:00 PM
am i missing something, or are all of you? he said, " AN OPEN CAN OF BEER", as opposed to a unopened can. either way though, beer are like lays potato chips, you can't just have one
Bobby, On the job? I mean end of the day fine but say around lunch time a customer offers you a beer your going to take it?

lawnman_scott
12-16-2004, 10:17 PM
If its the end of the day yes. If its not the end of the day and they arent open I will take them and save them for the edn of the day.

Lazer_Z
12-16-2004, 10:27 PM
Scott, Thank you Sir. that is the answer I was looking for.

I for one would never drink on the job I would just say a ploite "No Thanks" and be on my way.

KINGjosh
12-16-2004, 11:23 PM
I think for the most part if some one offers you an "Open Beer" they are already assuming that you drink, but why is it already open is the key question? By saying no thanks your not offending them but, what do you do next, say no thanks and go on? I think people who do that just want to chat for a few minutes. So i think as long as you chat for a few you wont offend anyone!

grass_cuttin_fool
12-17-2004, 07:01 AM
I have a customer also that i get a check from each week and a beer as a tip. Its not open because sometimes i have other jobs before im done for the day. If I had it happen like Coastal did, I would probably drink it this time(would be a shame to waste it) but tell them that I cant do it anymore and maybe get it to go next time

rodfather
12-17-2004, 07:41 AM
I would say "thank you very much, but I don't think it would look right in front of my people". Nothing more...