PDA

View Full Version : New Deere 997 diesel Z-track

anteater6788
12-16-2004, 07:08 PM
I know there was talk on here a while ago about Deere introducing a diesel Z-track but it was rumor's at that point. I see an add for it now in a recent farm magazine, it says it has a 31hp Yanmar diesel and the choice of a 60 or 72" side discharge 7-iron deck or a 60" rear discharge deck. Maybe this has already been talked about here and I missed it but I thought I would pass it along.

Travis Followell
12-16-2004, 07:11 PM
I had heard about and it had been discussed several times but noone seemed to know what kind of engine it had. Now we know. Thanks for posting this. 31 hp is not that much. Its more than some mowers but its nothing compared to the 50 hp Yanmar than Dixie Chopper offers.

Envy Lawn Service
12-17-2004, 12:01 AM
The only problem I can see is that this mower will likely be 8 ft long or longer.
I believe the 797 is already pretty much there, best I recall.

I for one would have liked to see Yanmar build up more on top of the L/C V-Twin verticle shaft diesels they already have, which I believe are currently rated at 18 & 20 hp.

Albemarle Lawn
02-05-2005, 11:33 AM
The vertical shaft L/C Yanmar is dead. It never really took off and they had problems. They were an aluminum block. Its too bad because most vertical engine mowers could use them with slight modification.

Travis, the 50 HP Yanmar is, in my opinion, pointless in a 60 or 72 inch cut. I have a 51 HP Yanmar in my JD1600 wide-area-mower, its pushing 11' of cut, 4,000 lbs of machine, and is never short of power.

Yanmar is honest about hp ratings, a Yanmar 31 is plenty for a ZTR of 60" - 72." More motor = more fuel, weight, and expense without performance gain.

DLCS
02-05-2005, 01:30 PM
The 997 is not a rumor anymore but JD is having trouble getting these units built due to Yanmar not being able to supply enough engines. I asked my dealer when they will be ready for ordering and if he could get me one before late summer, he said I doubt it, since JD only plan on getting 400 made by this summer. He also heard that JD might start putting their own diesel in the 997 instead of Yanmar but that I think is just a rumor? My dealer got to drive one down in Florida at the JD dealer ride on and he said it was a beast. I wanted to see the specs but brochures aren't even out yet.

gl1200a
02-05-2005, 11:47 PM
Just go to any search engine on the web and type in John Deere 997 . I found all kinds of information about it. It's the same 3 cylinder Yanmar as in my Father's JD X495. Great engine, but check the weight of the beast! I'll stick with my mini frame 727A for now.

JBird
02-06-2005, 04:46 AM
Just got my pro magazine and there is a ad for the 997 in it.

DLCS
02-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Just go to any search engine on the web and type in John Deere 997 . I found all kinds of information about it. It's the same 3 cylinder Yanmar as in my Father's JD X495. Great engine, but check the weight of the beast! I'll stick with my mini frame 727A for now.

Ok, I did a search on google(alot more info out than last time I searched). What i found was the 997 is only about 20 lbs. heavier than the 797 and the 777. Kinda hard to believe though. Length is 8'4", what a beast.

green acres lawns
02-07-2005, 11:01 PM
John Deere sales rep called me last week to answer my request for information I sent out of one of the turf mags. He said the 997 mowers would start showing up at dealers sometime in June.

Albemarle Lawn
02-08-2005, 01:36 AM
Deere goofed by missing spring with this one.

Here in the Southeast, if you can get to June with your current arrangements, chances are you can wait until next year.

Use that precious cash to knock back other debts in the mean time.

KB