PDA

View Full Version : guf from the competition

caz1
12-16-2004, 07:13 PM
Went and order the signage for my truck today. While I was there the lady at the sign company was telling me that they had some freinds that tryed to go into the lawn biz. And that they recived alot of guf for another lawn care company how should i handle this if I incounter the same thing?

packerbacker
12-16-2004, 07:16 PM
Went and order the signage for my truck today. While I was there the lady at the sign company was telling me that they had some freinds that tryed to go into the lawn biz. And that they recived alot of guf for another lawn care company how should i handle this if I incounter the same thing?

Guf about what?

caz1
12-16-2004, 07:22 PM
Guf about what?

I think it was about being new and did not want the competition

packerbacker
12-16-2004, 07:24 PM
Tell them to F*** off, its a free country and you can do what you want, how you want and when you want

bobbygedd
12-16-2004, 07:50 PM
hey, take a page from packer, just lower your prices, that'll teach em

richard coffman
12-16-2004, 07:50 PM
I'd tell them to get over it.

packerbacker
12-16-2004, 07:53 PM
hey, take a page from packer, just lower your prices, that'll teach em

Actually ive never lowered my prices once. Although i did underbid a $15,000 job by $250 just to get it because the last time i checked $14,750 is more then $0. Dont let the math get in the way though.

coastallandscapesolutions
12-16-2004, 08:37 PM
Actually ive never lowered my prices once. Although i did underbid a $15,000 job by $250 just to get it because the last time i checked $14,750 is more then $0. Dont let the math get in the way though.

And don't work for nothing either. payup

packerbacker
12-16-2004, 08:43 PM
And don't work for nothing either. payup

I never would but some people need to understand that people like me didnt get a business handed to them. I had to go out and get customers. I just cant believe that anybody here has never underbid to get a job. Especially starting out.

I dont here anyone complain about stores having sales or stores saying they will beat the competition by 10% . Thats all we are doing. The goal is to make money. Of course i wont do it for free but i will also shave a buck or 2 off a $50 yard to get it. I see nothing wrong with that.

cutnedge
12-16-2004, 08:46 PM
I'd ask her for bigger and brighter signs.

12-16-2004, 08:48 PM
Agreed. This year we were in a position not to do that and it paid off for us. For the professional people in the business here we raise the bar and everyone followed suit to a certain extent. We had help too from 2 vendors who spread the word and "suggested" that others review their pricing structure to be sure that they were in line with the market.

dvmcmrhp52
12-16-2004, 08:49 PM
Agreed. This year we were in a position not to do that and it paid off for us. For the professional people in the business here we raise the bar and everyone followed suit to a certain extent. We had help too from 2 vendors who spread the word and "suggested" that others review their pricing structure to be sure that they were in line with the market.

Careful there, that's called price fixing.............. :waving:

packerbacker
12-16-2004, 08:52 PM

I still think i charge enough, i have a 30 min for postage stamp yards, i charge $55 an hour for cleanups and miscelaneous such as hedge trimming, i charge $65 for a yard of mulch, i think im pretty competitive with the other solos around here.

12-16-2004, 08:57 PM
Careful there, that's called price fixing.............. :waving:

What was happening here at the beach was everyone hourly rate was going down. It actually dropped below $25 per man hour for 2002. There were about a half dozen companies who were trying to compete with the people that walked into Lowes and went out and cut for $15 bucks with no license or insurance. What we did was make them realize that was not who were were competing with. We are not some fly by night operation and neither were they. Therefore they should have a pricing structure of a professional service company.

trying 2b organic
12-16-2004, 10:37 PM
I met a lot of the competition in my first year and only one made a real effort to intimidate me. Ill spare his whole speech but a highlight was when he told me if he thought my prices were too low he would just call me and tell me he didnt give a ****. I happy to say that I had already been around the block a couple times with bigger and bader than him so I calmly and politily told him to take a swing. He is well established with many customers, I was pretty sure he wasnt going to do anything dumb like drop the gloves.

btw ty in part to lawnsite my prices from day one were high end of scale, it wasnt that I "deserved it". When I meet a comp that I know is selling for too low I just let him know what my average cut price (or whatever) is without directly challenging or critisizing. Is always a "just so u know Im charging about this much".