PDA

View Full Version : The new Wright Sentar!!! WOW!!

KirbysLawn
01-25-2001, 09:13 AM
Our local dealer had a demo of the Wright Sentar, what a machine! Has the features of the Stander but it also has a fold out seat which was very nice and comfortable! Looks to be very well built, the model pictured was $6800.00 with a 23 hp Kaw.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=681893&a=6961231&p=39084147&Sequence=0&res=high

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=681893&a=6961231&p=39084147&Sequence=0&res=high

kutnkru
01-25-2001, 10:47 AM
I just got off the phone with our local dealer and he informed me that the availability of these machines the first year will be ABSOLUTELY BRUTAL!!!!!

He has 3 coming in late February for his "Open House" in March and he said that once these three machines go ,,, if the orders come in they MAY or MAY NOT not be filled by the manufacturer.

He also mentioned that the only available model will in fact be the one you have pictured a 61"deck w/23hp Kawasaki. Retails for around $7500 +/- here.

Just wanted to let ya know to order now, cause they seem to be a limited number available.

Kris

moonarrow
01-25-2001, 10:48 AM
Kirby the new sentar does look like a great improvement it looks like the deck is a floating and can be ajusted, and that the front castors have bearings is that right if you have any more info please let me know

scottb
01-25-2001, 10:55 AM
Kirby how about demoing it and letting us know how it cuts. It looks like an awesome machine from the pic.

tpirobert
01-25-2001, 10:59 AM
Ray

I saw the new Sentar at the trade show in Charlotte. Too bad your were working:) The distributor said not many available until they get manufacturing capacity up to speed. Do I hear Ray selling his Great Dane rider and joining the Wright camp? I really like my 61" Stander. I too would consider the Sentar, if in the market for another mower. I'm sure someone here will buy one this Spring and give us their opinions.

jaclawn
01-25-2001, 01:04 PM
Sure would be nice if we had a rep from Wright here to set the facts straight about availability of this machine.

Greenkeepers
01-25-2001, 01:17 PM
Ray-

That thing looks pretty compact. Can you see good when you're sitting down?

dylan
01-25-2001, 01:32 PM
I recieved my brochere from wright in the mail just last night. They sent me one about the stander and the sentar.
The sentar seems to be leaps and bounds better than the super surfer or the stander. It is fast, 11mph and has a floating deck. Combined with tall tires and the choice of sitting or standing ... a good concept. It is 5" longer than the super surfer at 70" but still 10" shorter than a ztr rider. It has a pretty good warranty too. Life time on the frame. I forget now, but I think it was 4 yrs on the pumps and motors.

I asked them to tell me the name of the closest dealer which they did not do so I had to call them.
The bad news ... not available in Canada.
Any of you guys from ontario, there are several dealers in upper new york state and the main distributor is in buffalo but if you but a machine from the states you still have to worry about not having a good dealer close by.

The rear tires do seem a little narrow (9.5") compared to the 12" width of some ztr but this unit is only 900 lbs or so.
I wonder how it is on hills and if a mulch kit is available?

That is a good pic KirbysLawn. Do you have any more from different angles?

Also, did anyone see how the hoc adjustment worked. supposedly one lever that controls the whole deck and is smooth and easy. Is it done from the operator position or the front of the machine.

I do like the trend towards more compact and faster machines. If only they were getting cheaper too. Guess you can't have everything.

kutnkru
01-25-2001, 04:34 PM
I have also been advised that this machine is awkward to stand on if you are six feet or taller on a regular basis for mowing.

Kris

KirbysLawn
01-25-2001, 07:35 PM
Robert, I think I will keep the Great Danes - paid for.

Dylan - I have another photo which I will be posting on our local site, I will linkit when I get it up.

Ray

OBRYANMAINT
01-26-2001, 11:53 PM
saw one today at the ohio power show ,very comfortable to sit on , it is a bit awkward for me to stand ....controls are pretty far down when standing but with the good fit when sitting i would not stand much any way....was primarily designed to sit down

guntruck
01-27-2001, 12:02 AM
I wonder how well you can see when your on the seat mowing? It looks like you wouldnt be able to see much for trimming and tight areas when being seated.

lee b
01-27-2001, 12:07 AM
I must be missing something here. Why on earth would you want to stand-up all day when you could sit? If you want to stand-up why not buy a walk-behind?

FastEddie
01-27-2001, 08:55 PM
I was at my dealer the other day and they had just one Sentar mower for filling orders but they won't sell it now because of the limited availability right now. I looked it over real good and it looks like a very well designed machine.

gun > When sitting on it you can see the trim edge just fine, in fact it's even easier to see both ahead and trim edge at the same time because of being at the back of the mower instead of over top of it.

Lee > You must be new to the business if you think people would rather walk than stand. Why do you suppose just about everybody has a velke on their walk-behind?
I too at one time thought it crazy to stand all day mowing but after getting used to my Stander, I can't see sitting all day. I like the idea of the Sentar because you can sit or stand.

lee b
01-27-2001, 09:51 PM
Fast-Eddie, in my part of the world people don't use many walk-behinds, except for 21" pushmowers. I admit I'm a rookie, only 2 years in the biz. But I can't see any benefits in standing-up to mow grass, when you could sit down. Nobody I know uses a walk-behind with a velkie around here. I've never seen a yard too small to use a ztr. Of course things are different in other parts of the country.

LJ lawn
01-27-2001, 10:53 PM
the advantages of standing over sitting is that your legs take all the abuse instead if it getting directly transmitted to your back/spine.ever wonder why motorcyclists wear kidney belts? only after a few years of getting the crap beat out if your body from sitting and hittin' the bumps then you'll understand .

Shack
01-28-2001, 11:39 AM
Lee Blount, I am in the same part of the woods as you. I see alot of people using Velkies. I my self I 2. They cut down time and are a good stepping stone until you can justify payiny 5 to 10 thousand bucks for a ztr.

dylan
01-28-2001, 12:09 PM
Hey Jaclawn
Was there not a guy here named jim velkie who designed the stander and the sentar and works at the company. He should be able to answer questions about availability.

KirbysLawn
01-28-2001, 12:34 PM
Here is a photo of the front.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=797437&a=11235173&p=39349754&Sequence=0&res=high

Eric ELM
01-28-2001, 12:44 PM
I clean off driveways by backing my Chopper down the driveways with the blades on and it does a much better job than doing forward. On a hot day, you can feel the heat off of the engine a lot when backing up.

My question is, with a motor right in front of you, don't you get a lot of heat off of the engine while mowing? It would be nice on a cold spring or fall day, but when it is around 90 to 100 degrees, it seems like it would be a scorcher.

lee b
01-28-2001, 12:55 PM
Hey Shack, I must have hit a nerve, didn't mean too. You're not in the same neck of the woods. You're in urban north Georgia and I'm in rural south Georgia. There's a world of difference between these two areas and the types of mowing equipment used in each one. I know lots of LCO's in my part of Georgia and none of them use velkies, I'm sure things are different where you're at. I'm sure when you looked at my location you thought it was Douglasville, it ain't.

Randy Scott
01-28-2001, 01:18 PM
I've never really cut with a stander, I've demoed one, that's about it. It looks like the sentar might have a little too much to straddle while in the standing position, I wonder if you would be knocking your knees on the seat if you are on some rough lawns? I kinda like how the standers are though, I thought they would be awkward but they seem to me, like an alright machine. I like how you can really see where you're going, get right over the machine to get tight to what you're cutting. I think they would be great for certain lawns but I would definately want the ZTR for a primary machine, my knees just aren't getting any better the older I get. Just my thoughts.

Shack
01-28-2001, 09:52 PM
no nedd to get huffy

Premo Services
01-28-2001, 11:53 PM
Thats Ture Eric, I used walk behinds for 4 years until I bought a ztr last year. The heat was bad on hot days, on the sentar it looks like you would be much closer to the engine. :)

FastEddie
01-29-2001, 12:27 AM
Randy> My Dealer said the seat folds up mostly to save room on your trailer. You normaly stand on the Sentar while the seat is down so knee knocking is a non issue.

I think one of the best things about both the Stander and Sentar is that you can get off quickly if you need to. I take my Stander on some hills that you would have to be insane to take most other sit down riders on. I like having a way out if I should ever need it.

jaclawn
01-29-2001, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by dylan
Hey Jaclawn
Was there not a guy here named jim velkie who designed the stander and the sentar and works at the company. He should be able to answer questions about availability.

Unfortunatly, the administration of this forum will no longer allow that representitive of the company to participate in this discussion group unless they buy advertising on this site. It would be nice to have FACTS about this machine.

"If you don't own or have not owned or operated a particular
piece of equipment or product your opinion is worthless..."

This is taken directly from the Lawnsite posting guidelines, so apparantly, everything written about the Wright Sentar in this post is "worthless".

bucktail
01-29-2001, 09:33 AM
i can tell you an advantage of using a walk behind over a z mower or other sit down types it's simple customer relations now this theory definately depends on what type of site your cutting but i know from some of my customer's perspective if they look out the window and see you standing (jumping curbs,lifting front end over ditches ect..) their perception in some cases is that you are working harder than if your sitting down with your coke in a drink holder. just a theory but i believe it

dylan
01-29-2001, 10:23 AM
I see that wright manufacturing is listed in turfmfg.com.
Maybe if someone copied and pasted this discussion over there we could get some answers.
That is why I came to lawnsite.com

Artman
01-29-2001, 06:17 PM
Looks a heck of a lot like the Hustler ShortCut! Anybody else notice the similarity?

moonarrow
01-29-2001, 06:28 PM
I have contacted Daniel the sales manager for Wright Manufacturing about your request, a will prob be responding soon so keep watching this post

HOMER
01-29-2001, 06:47 PM
Bucktail, your theory would be correct.................if they(the customer) have a problem with me sitting down to mow their grass on 102 deg. day then I guess they can find somebody else. Why work harder to try and impress your customers when the end result is all that matters.

bucktail
01-30-2001, 07:35 AM
homer i agree you can get the same results sitting down i just feel that some not all customers have a perception about these things and if they see you sitting down every week it might not be long before they say to themselves "well hell i might be 75 but i can go to home depot and get me one of those dang tractors and cut it myself" now of course this is not true for everyone but i have customers who are still mystified by a walk behind when they see me on my 44 with a trac-vac cruising down their front lawn their not sure how it works and will not even contemplate trying to operate it themselves. i have a z and i use it a lot but mostly on commercial property. It might sound cruel but i will never let any of my guys use a z on a resedential i want them to stand!

Green Finger
01-30-2001, 09:04 AM
Bucktail,

You are not alone. I make them "walk dog too!"

Strawbridge Lawn
01-30-2001, 11:30 AM
It should be the final product that matters. If the quality is sub par then a change is needed. If it is quality work then it should not matter how it is done rider or walk. You don't need a customer who is inner angered over how much you are making per hour compared to him. He prob hyas a stand up job somewhere and is obviously not happy.

Strawbridge Lawn
01-30-2001, 11:37 AM
efficiency; rider vs walk. For most, a rider is faster and more efficient. I tell the customer up front that by riding it allows for the company to service more customers and maintain a lower bottom line service cost to them.
Walmart does it. Quanity and efficiency lowers costs to customers.