PDA

View Full Version : Hedge Trimmers

Landscape89
12-16-2004, 09:41 PM
Which brand name of a Commercial Hedge Trimmer do you all think is best?

LLandscaping
12-16-2004, 09:47 PM
We have a Stihl HS 80 with 30in bar, I cant say it is the best because I have don't tried all of the machines our there. It has plenty of power and we have not had a problem out of it. The only downside to this machine is it the weight, it's little heavy.

out4now
12-16-2004, 10:21 PM
Used Little Wonder single side worked great, Echo also single side was not quite as good as the LW, and had used a Sthil single side, worked well but I left not long after we got it. Ditto on it being heavy though.

red raider04
12-16-2004, 10:31 PM
I also use the 30" stihl 80.....I love it for those jobs where you need just a little more reach because it can quicken the work up so much. But, on the other hand it is my only trimmer and I can't wait to get a lighter model. I would go with the lighter trimmer.

walker-talker
12-16-2004, 10:50 PM
I have a Redmax that I bought in the spring. I have only used it a couple times and it was worked well. I only had 60' of hedges to trim and man were my arms hurting. I would do a about 20 ft and have to stop, go back to raking leaves. I had to do this 3 different times. I would definetely use weight of the trimmer as a deciding factor, but not limiting to that.

snippy
12-16-2004, 10:56 PM
I got sick of doing hedges and bushes by hand but couldn't really justify the expense of a Stihl or other quality item so I bought a cheap Chinese unit to get me through until I make my first million :rolleyes:
It does the job OK but weighs a ton, I'm going to have arms like Arnie after a season of using it :dizzy:
It's a Talon brand.

Texas Mower Parts
12-17-2004, 08:08 AM
Kawasaki KHD600B 24" double sided
These machines have the fastest blade speed I've ever seen!

sildoc
12-17-2004, 09:35 PM
That all depends on what you are trimming. I would not recomend an a extended trimmer if your work is only 3' high. IN turn I would not recomend the handheld non extended trimmer if you work is 10'high. I have the Stihl hs45 with the 24" bar which is the low line of stihls product line. It works great and would buy more if needed. I also have the hedge trimmer attachment for my FC 110 that gets used maybe 3 times a year for taller shrubs.

I recomend the hs45 because of the weigth. It has enough power for almost anything. If you need a pole hedger I would recomend the fs110 with the attachment since you probably will not use it much.

In all essence go try them out and base it on what fits your hands the best. Power and weight.

grass_cuttin_fool
12-17-2004, 11:08 PM
I have the stihl hs45 also, a good trimmer but kinda heavy.

Harry0
12-17-2004, 11:13 PM
Stihl Pruners IMHO are the best. The biggest reason I like them is the blade design. They stay tight. I have 4 hs-80s and2 extension pairs-They hold up good-Harry

Kelly's Landscaping
12-17-2004, 11:14 PM
My favorite ones are my extension set my 8-foot stihl FS85 R but I think the engine has been discontinued.

Lazer_Z
12-17-2004, 11:18 PM
Guys what makes and models would you recommend for light to medium duty work? I don't do a lot of hedge trimming but I am in need of a handheld unit because all I have right now is the attachment for my FC110.

Thanks guys

Rob

cutnedge
12-17-2004, 11:33 PM
My favorite was a Dolmar. The blade length wasn't much--maybe 22" at the most--but you could use it for long hours as it weighed only a little over 9 lbs.Had a alemite for greasing.It was sweet.It ended up getting stolen.
I just got through looking at the new 26" THT210S on the Tanaka forum.The specs look great but I've never used Tanaka.

Kev's Lawncare
12-18-2004, 05:34 AM
I just purchased a Sthil HS45 w/24" cut. Used it Yesterday and did a mighty fine job. I think for all I have to do, it'll be all I need.

walker-talker
12-18-2004, 09:48 AM
I use the CHTZ2500 with a 24" double sided blade. The handle rotates and locks if you want to use it an angles. It's worked good for me, but I have less than an hour on it.

lawn gonzo
12-18-2004, 09:06 PM
Hi guys, had to post my two cents an this one. I would kill if someone stole my shinnies. I think more people should definitely give Shindiawa a look, some of the best pieces of equipment I own. I have a dedicated normal hedge trimmer, 28" bar I think, don't know the part numbers, and a multi tool head from Shindiawa, with the hedge trimmer extension for all of the TALL stuff. Also have the string trimmer attachment (just in case, for trimmer backup) pole pruner extension, and the stick edger attachment (stays on the majority of the time). gottsta love it.

Lazer_Z
12-18-2004, 09:15 PM
walker-talker how heavy is that unit?

Oldtimer
12-19-2004, 05:40 PM
If you are only going to use your trimmer a couple of hours a week then just about any brand will be just fine. If you are using a trimmer 8 hours a day every day a Shindaiwa is one of the best choices due to blade speed.

Oldtimer

joed
12-19-2004, 07:04 PM
I own both the Shindaiwa DH230 dual sided 24" stand alone unit and the hedge trimmer attachment for the T230 trimmer. Both are excellent units. I have had nothing but positive experiences with Shindaiwa equipment and would highly reccomend them. The hedge trimmer was bit more expensive than other brands except for Kawasaki and Stihl but well worth it. If you want to try your luck with a home owner unit, the Stih HS45 or the Shindaiwa homepro unit are good too. Best of luck.

s and s mowing
12-19-2004, 07:11 PM
i need a set too,wonder what travis gets on a set of redmax trimmers,and how much are the 45 stihl

grass_cuttin_fool
12-19-2004, 07:13 PM
Im not sure on the Redmax but i was at my dealer the other day and I think the stihl 45's are $279

Roger
12-20-2004, 03:11 PM
I have had a Stihl HS-80, 24" bar for four seasons. It works well, but as others have said, it is heavy. The swivel handle is extremely valuable. Because the handle can turn 90 degrees either way, the entire unit handles easier, making the weight issue less of concern.

I often use step ladders, sometimes with a plank between for a scaffold. I've learned the time required to set up/move, etc, is paid back in productivity. Being able to handle the clipper at the best position makes for continuous work. If I have to work at head-height, or thereabouts, for any length of time, my body says "no" after awhile. But, having a plank 15-18-24" off the ground allows me to use the machine at waist or chest level. I can keep the trimmer going for long periods of time. I'm 63 years, slight built, only about 5-8, not very strong. Working at a good position is important for me.

I also have an FS85 hedge clipper attachment, zero-degree head. I think the bar is 22", and the teeth are a bit smaller than the HS-80. I use it only a few times per season, but being able to work from the ground for bushes/trees that are less than 12' tall -- it is a lifesaver! I wish I would have bought it a few seasons earlier!