PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice

jtrice11
12-17-2004, 09:30 AM
Do you guys detach all your properties in the spring or only the ones that need it?
Also, what exactly do you include in your spring clean up efforts? Particularly if the property looks pretty clean?

out4now
12-17-2004, 09:36 AM
At the University of Arizona Dr. Kopec said never to dethatch durring transition, wait till summmer when the grass is actively growing so it can recover better. Ever hear of spring die back? Root zone actually lessens for a few weeks in the spring making plant more suseptable to damage. At least that's what I was told in most of the classes I took.

Landscare
12-17-2004, 10:19 AM
Out 4 Now is 100% correct. Wait until at least June depending on how growing spurts are in your area...

jtrice11
12-17-2004, 10:35 AM
Is dethatching required? Or is it just hte ones that look like they are being choked out?

work_it
12-17-2004, 11:29 AM
You shouldn't dethatch unless the thatch layer is 1/2" or more. Keep in mind that when you dethatch you're also ripping up living grass roots. In most cases excess thatch is caused by compacted soil which can be corrected by aerating, balancing the soil, and proper watering practices.

grassman2001
12-17-2004, 11:32 AM
If at all possible try to aerate in the fall.

jtrice11
12-17-2004, 11:39 AM
ok cool, got it. I am just starting out and am a little worried about the detatching process and wether or not it is required on all properties. From what I have read and researched my understanding is that it is not necessary on all properties, especially if the lawn is healthy.

work_it
12-17-2004, 12:50 PM
Why would you even consider subjecting a healthy lawn to such a brutal process? Then ask yourself if you're prepaired to deal with all the weeds and crabgrass that will germinate after dethatching. Take into consideration that a lot of weed/crabgrass seeds are suspended in the thatch layer, and when you disturb them and expose bare soil what do you think will happen? Then ask yourself, what do you propose to do to help the unsuspecting customer fix all the problems...including the reason for the excess thatch in the first place? If you don't fix the problem it will happen again. Just something to think about before you go out and start offering dethatching as a service.

Randy Scott
12-17-2004, 12:58 PM
First of all, do you know what and where the thatch layer actually is? Do you know the purpose of it?

Not being smart, just wondering if you are sure what the thatch layer does and exactly where it's located. Many people are unclear of it.

There's plenty of reading about it at any local University that you could research it and/or just a general search on-line will yield good descriptions and times when it should or shouldn't be done.

bobbygedd
12-17-2004, 01:27 PM
what's his name is correct. the thatch layer can be seen by pulling cores