PDA

View Full Version : chevy heat?

fga
12-17-2004, 10:58 AM
i posted a few days back pics of my new truck.. 1990 gmc 1500. i love the truck, its runs and drives excellent.
the one problem i have is the heat is blowing ice cold air. I went through all the obvious causes i know of. the engine temp is straight in the normal, so the termostat is in, I thought maybe when they installed the new engine this year, they bypassed the heater core... hoses are there, and in new condition. there are no leaks of any type on the truck. any ideas, maybe a sensor somewhere? the blower unit is working perfect... i can live without it ofcourse, but i would like to use this as my everyday ride also. should be something minor i'm sure, but i ran out of ideas.

grass_cuttin_fool
12-17-2004, 11:29 AM
I dont know where you would find it, there most be a cable or an electric motor that issnt closing a cold air intake or not moving a water lever some where in the system

work_it
12-17-2004, 11:33 AM
It sounds like your damper door is sticking. Is it cable controlled or is it on a vacuum. If it's cable controlled then follow the cable from the back of the hot/cold control to the damper to check it.

work_it
12-17-2004, 11:37 AM
You might be able to find something about it here http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/f1217/

fga
12-17-2004, 11:46 AM
thanks guys,
you two seem to be saying the same thing. i'll look into that now. thanks.

Eric 1
12-19-2004, 08:06 PM
On mine the control went out and was not letting the baffle close. It either that or the baffle is stuck. It is above the passenger floor board and fairly easy to get to, a visual check and about 20min of time could tell you.

grass_cuttin_fool
12-19-2004, 08:09 PM
How about it Adam , have you got any heat yet??????

fga
12-19-2004, 08:29 PM
How about it Adam , have you got any heat yet??????
not yet... i'm such a procrastinator! i'm still doing leaf clean-ups! Even today, on Sunday, i spent my whole morning going to pick up my plow and tailgate spreader. then went to finish christmas shopping... which is all done thanks god.

guys,
quick question though.. when i'm looking under the dashboard, do you have an idea of what i should see, or i'm looking for? tomorrow is my day to do what i have to around home. 5 leaf clean ups on my block, wash and wax the trucks for winter.. check heat. i was also told to feel both heater hoses going to the core. if one is hot and the other cold, there's a blockage. if that was the case, wouldn't the hoses burst? also told to feel the core for warmth.. i'll be doing this tomorrow provided we don't get any real snow accumulation tonight. it went from 8" to dusting :angry:

Eric 1
12-19-2004, 11:04 PM
guys,
quick question though.. when i'm looking under the dashboard, do you have an idea of what i should see, or i'm looking for? tomorrow is my day to do what i have to around home. 5 leaf clean ups on my block, wash and wax the trucks for winter.. check heat. i was also told to feel both heater hoses going to the core. if one is hot and the other cold, there's a blockage. if that was the case, wouldn't the hoses burst? also told to feel the core for warmth

Get a manual, its hard to explain. You may have to drop the core to look up in there, right over the top of the core there is a little flap, it is electronically opened/closed. If it is laid down closing of the opening as you look up, it is not letting heat pass over the core. If it is working right, when you adjust it all the way hot, it should be stood straight up, a 2x3'' opening or so should be plainly visible, you will see it when you get in there. Good luck.

fga
12-20-2004, 12:38 AM
Get a manual, its hard to explain. You may have to drop the core to look up in there, right over the top of the core there is a little flap, it is electronically opened/closed. If it is laid down closing of the opening as you look up, it is not letting heat pass over the core. If it is working right, when you adjust it all the way hot, it should be stood straight up, a 2x3'' opening or so should be plainly visible, you will see it when you get in there. Good luck.great description.. who needs a manual??!! :cool: thanks.