PDA

View Full Version : WEED PULLIN'

HOMER
05-21-2000, 12:47 PM
I picked up a restaraunt a couple months back and told him I would mow, trim, edge, blow the parking lot and keep the shrubs trimmed as needed. I also subcontracted with a local spray company to fertilize and kill the numerous weeds in the lawn. The place looks 100% better than it did 2 months ago.<p>The manager wanted the cypress mulch replaced in all the beds so I got a price from the spraying co. which also does landscapeing. Their price was $1100.00 and the manager thought that was too high. He asked me what I would do one bed in front of the door for and I told him $425.00 and I would also replace a sprinkler head that needed replacing. He accepted the price. I explained that I would add mulch to the existing mulch since it was the same type. He asked about replacing the fabric under the mulch and I said it probably didn't need replacing, just pull the weeds and add new mulch to freshen up the look. He agreed to the terms and all was well. The work was done per our agreement. The other day he called and said there were weeds in that bed, I said O.K. He said I should have replaced all of it like he had asked, I let him know that he agreed to my proposal and that no matter what you did to a bed there would always be weeds and it would be a maintanece thing. I agreed to go back and pull the weeds once again. We went yesterday, my wife bitvhing the whole time about having to pull weeds, saying we were a LAWN CARE CO., not landscapers. I told her we would do it this time for him because it was work that we were getting paid for. We pulled the weeds, did the rest of the work which included raking out all the corners of the parking lot and getting up a zillion nast ass cigarette butts, drink bottles, napkins and anything else you couold think of. We were there over an hour! After we left I get a page, it was the manger telling me we didn't get all the weeds! I politely informed him that we got as many as we could and it looked very good when we left, I also told him that in the letter he got from me I spelled out everything that I would do for the price I gave him and nowhere in the letter did it mention &quot;WEED PULLIN'&quot;. He said he thought that by maintenance that it would include weeding the beds.........I then told him that I was a lawn care guy, most weed pulling and bed maintenance around here was done by landscapers, I didn't have the time and didn't feel that I was getting paid to spend hours a month pulling weeds. If I pull weeds I would have to charge that off at an hourly rate like everybody else does. <p>Long story...........what do ya'll do? Should I give it up, pull the darn weeds, add more to it, or sub it out and suck it up? I have to meet with him Tuesday to discuss these issues.........my wife says we ain't pullin his d!@@## weeds for nothing and I agree, I hate doing it and especially for free. I have voluntarily pulled the big ones in the past without him telling me too. The fact that it is a requirement now is a problem for me.<p>Need feedback.<p>Homer

AGG Lawn Maintenance
05-21-2000, 01:01 PM
Homer spray Round up where you can and charge him for it. I would give him a price for weed pulling and Round up. I bet he will go with the Round up !!!<br>Good Luck <br>Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance :)

Barkleymut
05-21-2000, 02:30 PM
I generally include weed pulling in my contracts. But just put down some Snapshot and you will have 90% fewer weeds. About an 8 month residual means you do it early in the spring and it carrys you until winter. It makes my life a little easier.

LoneStarLawn
05-21-2000, 07:22 PM
That's a lesson we learned awhile back. Never do any extras for free that you did not include in your written estimate. Our crew pulled weeds for a new customer out of her beds a few times as a good gesture since it was never included in the estimate. Well it turns out that our customer thought the weed pulling was included in the estimate. To make a story short we lost the customer due to the fact that we told her we would only perform the weed pulling for an extra price. Never do any freebies....they will always expect it. As far as your situation I would go back to your written estimate or contract and point out that weed pulling is not include, but (if you are willing) that you would do the work for a price. Though I would treat the beds for weeds before pulling anymore. Use roundup or something more to cover the entire beds.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: LoneStarLawn

John DiMartino
05-21-2000, 09:52 PM
Homer-listen to Stone-you need a pesticide applicators license-the sooner the better.You cannot spray roundup legally without one.I dont waste time with pulling weeds or picking up cigarrette butts,unless they are willing to pay the same amount I charge to install mulch or trees.Go take a 30Hr course on pesticides and get the certificate so you will be eligible to take the test,and you'll breeze right thru it.Good luck<p>----------<br>John D<br>

scapes4u
05-21-2000, 11:29 PM
John,<br>Where do you take the 30hr course ? Here in Tenn. all we can find out about this is they tell us you have to have 4 years colledge on pesticides or 2 yrs. work experience with someone that is licensed.Help !!

Toroguy
05-21-2000, 11:36 PM
Homer,<br>The company you subbed to take care of the weeds should spray the mulch bed for you? Charge the restaraunt owner if there are additional expenses to you. If he is still difficult, bill him and bail.<p>John was right, getting the applicators license may help you in the future. <p>A homeowner can use Round-up without a license, are there certain toxins that are regulated, or require a license?

Charles
05-22-2000, 07:49 AM
We all know weed pullin is a pain in the ass. Grassx is good for killing weeds. I just tell the customers this and let them take care of it. I am sure not going to pull weeds out in the heat. Ifthis is a requirement I won't take the job. No money in it either unless you have a crew.

HOMER
05-22-2000, 06:44 PM
Dangit Charles, me and you need to go in business together.........we think alot alike! <p>Homer

yardsmith
05-23-2000, 12:16 AM
most homeowners can put anything they want on THEIR OWN LAWN. But if YOU put stuff on SOMEONE ELSE'S lawn, you need a license, including roundup.<br>Here in Ohio, you need to study & pass the test for App. License, that's all. <br>I add weeds in the &quot;misc.&quot; categaory & put it under the hourly rate-saves future headaches :)<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>