PDA

View Full Version : Lm 42 is this a good deal?

GrazerZ
12-17-2004, 10:52 PM
I looked at a Lm 42 today with 398 hrs on it. it has the plow but also has the backhoe attatchment. Its for sale for around $17,000. does that sound good, fair or bad. I'm not so sure about the backhoe attatchment, I think i would prefer to have the trencher but not sure at this point. what do you guys think? thanx for your imput..

The Yard Barber, Inc.
12-20-2004, 12:55 AM
make your decission on whatever you think you would use the most. Also look at used equipment trader.com and see if you can git an idea of what it is worth. Be patient and the right thing will come.

greenworldh20
12-24-2004, 11:59 AM
sounds like a great deal to me...i purchased a used lm 42 with 1500 hours for $20k...machine still runs great.

brian

GrazerZ
12-24-2004, 09:49 PM
sounds like a great deal to me...i purchased a used lm 42 with 1500 hours for $20k...machine still runs great.

brian

Greenworldh2o, what have you seen as common problems with your machine? And what do you think about the backhoe instead of a trencher? thanks for the feedback.

greenworldh20
12-25-2004, 03:03 AM
we have put alot of $$$ into the vermeer, but hands down the best pipe puller on the market.

look at center piviot (where the machine turns). this was worn out on our machine and expensive to replace...also we installed new trencher chain, hydro pump, rebuilt diesel motor...but still runs great.

i do not see a big need for a backhoe in irrigation....we use the trencher for drainage and large irrigation systems.

the choice is yours as to what you need to make $$$.

brian

GrazerZ
12-25-2004, 10:07 AM
thanx greenworldh2o,
They were going to replace the center pivot point before they sell it. thanx for the info...

greenworldh20
12-26-2004, 02:10 AM
other things to check...check the color of the hydro fluid...check the oil, check the condition of hoses...our hoses were dry-rotted...meaning they are coming to the end of their lifespan...they can break anywhere and when they do...watch out!!! hydro oil everywhere!!!

does the machine have hi-lo speed and a boring unit? great attachements if they do.

also, vermeers are four wheel drive, are super strong...we have owned 2 and if you take care of them you will not regret purchasing one.

brian