PDA

View Full Version : Pest Control

dpjoseph
12-18-2004, 12:51 AM
Just wondering why more landscapers don't get into the pest control business for the winter months? I have been in landscaping for 7 years and 5 years in pest control. I am licensed and insured and my first three years during the winter i worked for a pest control company and just took it into my business. We control mice and roaches in schools restaurants and such.

osc
12-18-2004, 07:15 AM
Speaking of pests. What do you recommend for rodents and roaches. I own several rental properties and would like to do something to prevent mice and roaches besides environmental management.

Ric
12-18-2004, 08:14 AM
OSC

Trap rats and mice because if you use poison they crawl into hole somewhere and stink for a long period of time. Glue paper works great and traditional traps work best if you don't set them and let the rodent take the bait several times, first. However the BooBy rat is uncontrollable.

Cockroach Baits like Siege work good unless you have German cockroach which can be very hard to control. Sanitation is key on controlling both Rodents and cockroach's. A good cleaning with a vacuum cleaner can vacuum up the roach eggs.

DP

The reason WHY most lawn boys don't do Pest Control is. Because it takes some education and a License. You can not tell me those schools don't check out your licenses and insurance. Any food service area is a pest haven. The liability of poisoning the food is more responsibility than I want. Pest Control is a year round business in most places, Maybe working for a school system you can schedule it to work for you.

There are Forums that deal with Structural Pest Control only. This Forum's rules are such that I don't think I can list them here. But you should be able to find them with Goggle.

Green Dreams
12-18-2004, 11:14 AM
I let my Pest license expire long ago. There are more than 100 pest control companies here but only a very few fert & squirts. The big boys, a couple of small wanderers and me. I hated pest control. I like the "see bug, spray bug" work I do now..

ArizPestWeed
12-18-2004, 02:14 PM
Don't be soo cheap.
Hire a pest control company

Motown
12-20-2004, 08:16 PM
That's actually a great question. The somewhat popular thing to do these days is Christmas lighting. There must be some money in it but I'm curious about the general pest control. I recently got certified in that more for doing perimeter pest control in the summer. Do you take care of some of your lawn customer's indoor pest problems in the winter? The public places like schools and work places do concern me a little. How have you approached everything?

Motown

cemars
12-20-2004, 08:54 PM
Just wondering why more landscapers don't get into the pest control business for the winter months?

I can think of a few reasons. In most parts of the country, the "winter months" don't last long. Here in Virginia we are able to work 10-11 months out of the year. That time goes fast and provides a needed break from the hectic pace of the rest of the year (and for me a few weeks in the Caribbean). It is also a time for catching up on paper work, business planning, goal setting, marketing, employee training, equipment refurbishing and repairs, etc. If you want to make money, why mess around killing bugs or rodents in someones house when you can make money from snow removal, dormant pruning, liming, stump grinding, brush clearing, delivering fire wood, and any number of other things that you can do using your existing contacts, employees and equipment?

scweedman
12-21-2004, 07:45 AM
I have been in pest control for 10 years and lawn management 2 years ago. I really like the lawn work the best, I'm starting next year to offer PC discounts to my LM custmers for perimeter PC. Since im already there it want take much time to spray
the perimeter.