PDA

View Full Version : Striping and charging more?

christoff
12-18-2004, 03:38 PM
If I'm going to get a striping kit for my mowers, should I be charging people a little more per cut?

I was thinking of charging more for two reasons. One, the cost of the striping kit, and two, their lawn will look better.

Do I have the right to charge more? what do you guys think?

Lawnchoice
12-18-2004, 04:00 PM
IMO if you are correctly and professionally cutting a lawn, it will come out striped.

I just can't see charging more for something that they should already be getting.

What are you putting the kit on?

christoff
12-18-2004, 04:01 PM
IMO if you are correctly and professionally cutting a lawn, it will come out striped.

I just can't see charging more for something that they should already be getting.

A Toro 21". Im also looking at buying a 36" in the new future.

TURF DOCTOR
12-18-2004, 04:26 PM
The lawn should be striped to start with,it is like saying charge for a cut, a trim, a blow, a edge.In places you want to make your work stand out.Anybody can cut grass,make it outlook your competitors. 2 cents

dishboy
12-18-2004, 04:52 PM

I'm game......., please explain why striped equals correct or professional. Don't get me wrong I use a striping roller but as far what is I can see for agronnomical reasons, you could argue the converse of your statement and you would be more correct.

YardPro
12-18-2004, 04:56 PM
we don't sell agromony with our service we sell appearance.
striping IMO is one of the things that sets a professional job apart.

packerbacker
12-18-2004, 05:03 PM
I'm game......., please explain why striped equals correct or professional. Don't get me wrong I use a striping roller but as far what is I can see for agronnomical reasons, you could argue the converse of your statement and you would be more correct.

Because people hire us to do just that. Make their lawn look good and put some sweet lines in it.

dishboy
12-18-2004, 05:17 PM
YP & PB, you guys are confused, my initials are DB not BG, nonetheless I stand by my statement.

packerbacker
12-18-2004, 05:20 PM
YP & PB, you guys are confused, my initials are DB not BG, nonetheless I stand by my statement.

If you went over to a customers house and your lines were all over the place week in and week out you'd get fired. Striping is a very important part of mowing. The lines have to be uniform. If they arent they can turn a good looking lawn into a lousy looking lawn. There was a guy who posted here when i got here. He has passed since but i remember picutres of him on his Dixie Chopper. He was very proud of his lines and rightfully so because they looked great.

YardPro
12-18-2004, 05:24 PM
i think you're taking the responses in the wrong tone if you think i am replying like i do to BG.

when people pay for a service they expect the person to do a better job than they would. Why hire a painter to paint your car? the paint you spray on fron a lowe's wagner sprayer will do it's job ( protecting the metal underneath) just as well.

i will GUARANTEE that if you are mowing with jacked up lines, ot in the decreasing circles, and a LCO starts mowing the nieghbor's with nice stripes, even though from the agronomy standppoint there is no difference, your customer will do one of two thngs.
aks you if you can do the same,
or fire you and hire the other company.

Lawnchoice
12-18-2004, 05:41 PM
Customers hire us so they can have the best looking lawn in the neighborhood.

If I see a lawn that is being serviced by another LCO and the lines are all out of sorts, I will target that landscape. I simply mail them out some information about us and some portfolio pictures and follow up with a phone call asking them what they thought. I win quite a few that way. I am lucky as 90 % of our lawns are in the town that I live in.

Striping is the result of efficient mowing. If you go straight and back and forth you are cutting at a greater efficiency than if you go in circles or whatever. If you don't' believe me, time it !

geogunn
12-18-2004, 05:52 PM
A Toro 21". Im also looking at buying a 36" in the new future.

I don't think you would be justified charging extra for those little 21" stripes. the stripe would be even less than 21" with the slight deck/wheel overlap.

depending on how narrow the stripe actually is, you could wind up in a deduction situation.

in my case, a LESCO 48" lays down some pretty awesome wide stripes and would compare quite favorably to the stripes from a 52".

GEO :)

lawnwizards
12-18-2004, 08:16 PM
If you went over to a customers house and your lines were all over the place week in and week out you'd get fired. Striping is a very important part of mowing. The lines have to be uniform. If they arent they can turn a good looking lawn into a lousy looking lawn. There was a guy who posted here when i got here. He has passed since but i remember picutres of him on his Dixie Chopper. He was very proud of his lines and rightfully so because they looked great.

hell, we get customers all the time that ***** about the stripes. "it looks like farmland" "i don't like a yard that looks like a baseball field". so your assumption of getting fired for lousy looking lawns is not exactly true. some people just want their grass cut... nothing more.

lawnwizards
12-18-2004, 08:18 PM
sorry about the language. it won't happen again :blush:

YardPro
12-18-2004, 08:21 PM
the ones that just want thier grass cut, nothing more, are not the customers you want.
Those people will not spend much money on thier lawns. Why not get billy down the street to mow it for $10.00
the customers you want are the ones who care how it looks, and are willing to spend extra money to keep it looking nice.

and in 12 years of work i have never had one customer complain that we did too good of a job.

lawnwizards
12-18-2004, 08:24 PM
the ones that just want thier grass cut, nothing more, are not the customers you want.
Those people will not spend much money on thier lawns. Why not get billy down the street to mow it for $10.00
the customers you want are the ones who care how it looks, and are willing to spend extra money to keep it looking nice.

and in 12 years of work i have never had one customer complain that we did too good of a job.
yard pro. thats funny you said that. the baseball field lady bragged about how good her yard looked, then one day she saw it when it was sunny and decided she didn't like it after that. we were gonna nominate it for yard of the month, but after her comments we changed our mind... by the way, she has us do all kinds of work for her besides grass and she pays very well. if she wants a crappy yard so be it. just aslong as she pays.

locutus
12-18-2004, 09:59 PM
I dont see striping as a separate billable item, i.e. if you pay more for the stripes, roller down, if you wont, roller up. This will lose you more customers than its worth. Look at striping as something that sets you apart from the crowd. Striping every lawn you have is great advertisement.

packerbacker
12-18-2004, 10:04 PM
hell, we get customers all the time that ***** about the stripes. "it looks like farmland" "i don't like a yard that looks like a baseball field". so your assumption of getting fired for lousy looking lawns is not exactly true. some people just want their grass cut... nothing more.

Make it look good anyway. Its a reflection of your work and your company. What if some guy is driving around that does care and he sees your straight lines so he calls you. That house is your calling card.

TURF DOCTOR
12-18-2004, 10:08 PM
Diffrent places for stripes high end houses and trying to out look the other guy make it look top,some just want a cut an trim but i make it look better than the next guy.

bobbygedd
12-18-2004, 11:12 PM
what is all this talk about being "fired"? do you guys work for a lawn service, or own one? i'm confused. as far as charging extra for "striping", my answer is yes and no. i'd say no, you can't offer it as an option. but i'd say yes, you can charge more for your mowing service, because the stripes will make the job look better, therefor a better job = more money. you would not believe this but, around here, nobody uses striping kits/rollers. i spoke about this to a guy in the business for 20 yrs...he just looked at me like i was nuts. "stripes" he said? ah, forget it.

GreenMonster
12-18-2004, 11:18 PM
what is all this talk about being "fired"? do you guys work for a lawn service, or own one? i'm confused. as far as charging extra for "striping", my answer is yes and no. i'd say no, you can't offer it as an option. but i'd say yes, you can charge more for your mowing service, because the stripes will make the job look better, therefor a better job = more money.

and you guys think Bobby is a complete moron.

Perfect response, including the "being fired" thing.

packerbacker
12-19-2004, 12:06 AM
and you guys think Bobby is a complete moron.

Perfect response, including the "being fired" thing.

How? I fired my plumber last week. He owns the company.

bobbygedd
12-19-2004, 12:30 AM
you mean your plumber was on your payroll? do you have wc for him? if you don't, you shouldn't have him as an employee

YardPro
12-19-2004, 09:15 AM
you can fire a contractor.

and bobby you are right. a agree with charging more for your basic mowing and making striping part of your basic package.

imagine that bobby and i agree on something....... scary... :)

Envy Lawn Service
12-19-2004, 02:02 PM
Yes, I charge more for stripes. We all should, it's worth the extra.

Striping is the result of efficient mowing. If you go straight and back and forth you are cutting at a greater efficiency than if you go in circles or whatever. If you don't' believe me, time it !

Sorry, but you are full of it. Truth be told, striping is often extremely inefficient. But seldom is the truth ever told here when it comes to efficiency or productivity.

packerbacker
12-19-2004, 02:31 PM
Yes, I charge more for stripes. We all should, it's worth the extra.

Sorry, but you are full of it. Truth be told, striping is often extremely inefficient. But seldom is the truth ever told here when it comes to efficiency or productivity.

So why dont you explain why?????

Envy Lawn Service
12-19-2004, 03:06 PM
So why dont you explain why?????
Sometime I worry about you guys :p

OK forget all the striping crap and think about this...

You have an open patch of grass with 300' of road frontage and 100' of depth.
300x100 rectangle. Just simply answer which direction is the quickest way to mow this?

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc
12-19-2004, 05:15 PM
IMO a good mower leaves somewhat of a stripe anyway. I added the stripe kits to my Scags and i usually talk to the customer and give them 1 mow with the stipe kit adding the best stripe. I then let them know there is a small add on to the regular price for this extra nice stripe. Some pay to add and some don't want it for the extra cost. It's all about personal preference and community status for the customer. And maybe a little pride for them and me.

packerbacker
12-19-2004, 11:23 PM
IMO a good mower leaves somewhat of a stripe anyway. I added the stripe kits to my Scags and i usually talk to the customer and give them 1 mow with the stipe kit adding the best stripe. I then let them know there is a small add on to the regular price for this extra nice stripe. Some pay to add and some don't want it for the extra cost. It's all about personal preference and community status for the customer. And maybe a little pride for them and me.

So there are days you have spend time taking it off your mower? Seems like a waste of time to me.

Envy Lawn Service
12-19-2004, 11:42 PM
So there are days you have spend time taking it off your mower? Seems like a waste of time to me.
The factory Scag stripe kit flips up/down with ease to turn the stripe on/off.

packerbacker
12-19-2004, 11:43 PM
The factory Scag stripe kit flips up/down with ease to turn the stripe on/off.

Ahhh, i dont use one so i dont know. Encore doesnt make one.

trying 2b organic
12-20-2004, 12:20 AM
Christoff if you are still out there, did u buy the Inventek for your 21? It will be a hit in Victoria and well worth the money, very few are striping small lawns there. Just keep your prices on the high end of the scale and stripe for free for all the customers that like it.

The best of many good points is that we pay a contractor to do a job expecting it to be done better than we can do it ourself. As we know, for our biz that difference is in the *details*.

Lawnchoice
12-20-2004, 04:22 AM
Sometime I worry about you guys :p

OK forget all the striping crap and think about this...

You have an open patch of grass with 300' of road frontage and 100' of depth.
300x100 rectangle. Just simply answer which direction is the quickest way to mow this?

I guess your answer would be to mow in circles around the whole thing until you get to the middle then.

Envy Lawn Service
12-20-2004, 05:26 PM
I guess your answer would be to mow in circles around the whole thing until you get to the middle then.

You miss the point. OK scrap the stripes v/s no-stripes mowing.
Just answer this. Which direction is it faster to stripe it?

Lawnchoice
12-20-2004, 06:59 PM

The longest way back and forth !

YardPro
12-20-2004, 07:37 PM

forward
it's twice as fast as reverse

he's right though, whatever the longest run is will be quicker, because of less turnarounds.

Envy Lawn Service
12-20-2004, 08:01 PM
The longest way back and forth !
Exactly, yet maybe you still don't get my point?

Most guys are going to have to mow 2 swaths on each side of the property the 100' foot way in order to have a place to turn around at the end of their 300' long stripes. This is extra square footage that gets double mowed. If you use a 60" cut that's 400' x 5' = 2,000 extra square footage of mowing. If there were any obstacles, passes around those would add up as well.

Past that, then you take a little extra time to line up just right, work out a pattern, and sometimes slow down a bit in order to track nice and straight so the stripes look good. Often times I also find myself going back over a pass back and forth to touch things up. It's extra work, and it's time consuming.

Plus in this case, going the 300' way you are striping parallel with the road, which is not even visible to traffic. So to catch attention and do the needed pattern changes you will cave in and mow it the 100' way. Using the same example, that's 1200' x 5' = 6,000 extra square footage of mowing, short 100' stripes and lot's of extra turning around and lining up.

Then the diagonal way is 1600' x 5' = 8,000 extra square footage, a series of various lengths of stripes and also lots of extra turning around.

But honestly, most of the time we are working with lots of obstacles, and the properties are irregular, curved, out of square. So we put forth a lot more extra time and effort than we realize. Yeah sure, I love the look, most of my customers do, and I stripe most of my lawns with pride. But it does take more time and work to do it.

YardPro
12-20-2004, 08:04 PM
sure it takes extra time, but as long as you include it in your base rate where's the problem

Lawnchoice
12-20-2004, 08:49 PM
I am with your calculations Envy, them seem correct.