PDA

View Full Version : the ultimate in durability and wear resistence

TClawn
12-18-2004, 04:36 PM
hi,

I need to figure out what warm season grass has the most durability and wear resistaence. All I want is your guys opinions on what would do well.

here is what it will be used for.

1. sports field for foot ball and soccer.

2. resess field for kids at school.

3. large gatherings about 4 times a year.

right now in our current location we have a St. augustine, seashore paspalum and crab grass mix. lol.

right now the st. augustine is just about worn to dirt. the seashore is hurting but will probably come back during chistmas break, and the crab grass is doing ok but is definatly showing signs of wear.

YardPro
12-18-2004, 04:54 PM
bermuda is the turf of choice on high traffic areas.
419 tifway, tifsport ( don't know the #)
caviler, etc.

the hybred bermuda's are the toughest grasses you can get.
the myer dirivative zoysia's are a close second. they will tolerate shade where bermuda will not.

st aug. is the worst choice as it only spreads via stolons ( shoots above the ground). there is no rhizome spreading at all (below ground).

both the bermuda and zoysia's are stoloniferous and rizhomatus

ouimguy
12-18-2004, 05:49 PM
Hybrid bermuda is the way to go but pricey, just try a bermuda grass that you can get in both sod and seed. That will allow you to put sod down for quick coverage AND be able to spot seed in heavy wear areas.

YardPro
12-18-2004, 06:16 PM
bermuda expensive???
mabey there , but here 419 is the cheapest sod you can buy.
one reason why is becuase they sell a ton of it, and second becuase it grows back so darn fast from rhizomes they can harvest the same field 2x/year.

i will bet it's pricey there cuase there are not alot of warm season grasses used in lawns.

TClawn
12-18-2004, 06:58 PM
bermuda is the turf of choice on high traffic areas.
419 tifway, tifsport ( don't know the #)
caviler, etc.

the hybred bermuda's are the toughest grasses you can get.
the myer dirivative zoysia's are a close second. they will tolerate shade where bermuda will not.

st aug. is the worst choice as it only spreads via stolons ( shoots above the ground). there is no rhizome spreading at all (below ground).

both the bermuda and zoysia's are stoloniferous and rizhomatus

I know that I can't seed the myer zoysia. but can I seed the tifsport or tifway 419?

YardPro
12-18-2004, 07:21 PM
most of the hybred bermudas are sterile.
they have some new strains out now that can be seeded.

if you need to seed, just use common bermuda.
it does not produce as fine of a turf, but it is very durable

quiet
12-18-2004, 08:10 PM
You may have to sit down with a pen and paper and do some calculations if you're considering seeding a common Bermuda variety vs. sodding with a hybrid. Bermuda seed can take up to 3 weeks to geminate and needs to be kept moist. Lotta water for a big area.

During that 3 weeks you can have weeds invade, and /or have the seed wash off or run off into low spots from a heavy rain.

And as Yardpro states, you'll have a turf that's not near as nice as one of the hybrid bermudas.

YardPro
12-18-2004, 08:18 PM
ronstar can be applied to keep the weeds out,
BUT i always recommend sod.

i feel it takes the same $ to get seeded grass to sod quality ( if you ever can) as it does to lay the sod. The money is just spread out over a longer peroid.

call some local sod farms ( if any there) and get some information. They should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Grassboy 101
12-19-2004, 10:31 AM
Bermuda is definitely the most traffic tolerant of the warm-season grasses.
Be aware that in order to maintain coverage it must also receive a large amount of water. With an area used for daily recess periods this creates a major problem. I have yet to see an elementary school ground that will with stand the type of punishment you have described with out bare spots.
Check with turf suppliers in your area. Have them come out survey your situation and make recommendations for grasses. Not only for the type but have them give you a written schedule for maintenance. Good Luck.

Runner
12-19-2004, 01:27 PM
I really wish I could help, as I know absolutely NOTHING about warm season grasses. Come to think of it...I know absolutely nothing about COOL season grasses, either! ;)
I WILL be watching this thread, though. I just may learn something from this just as an "FYI" (occasionally, something happens and I DO comprehend something).

out4now
12-19-2004, 02:12 PM
Go with Princess 77. It's a seed variety that will look and feel like hybrid. Salinity is a factor though, Bremuda can handle a lot bit paspalum can handle it better. Is water source reclaimated sewage water? Bermuda loves heat but takes overseeding well. Sod in Hawaii is going to be really expensive because it must come from the mainland so that leaves seed. Go with Princess or a similar variety.

Ric
12-19-2004, 02:33 PM
TC

419 sprigs are an other way to go. I am not sure if you can buy them in Hawaii. However sprigs covered with straw can establish very easy. Straw can also help seeds stay moist. The big trick to establishing these turfs is keeping a constant moisture in a warm soil during the rooting phase of the grow in.

Now Seashore Paspalum should be some what wear resistant and may be a better choice in your area. Your bad luck with it may be mis-management. It requires salt and a lot of fertilizer in a high wear situation.

Ronstar is a good pre-emerge but not a total suppressive of weeds. It is the only Pre-emerge I know of that does not root prune. It also is not labeled for home lawns. You may be better to go with post-emerge or in your case not being licensed have your pest control operator use only post-emerge herbicides.

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc
12-19-2004, 05:24 PM
I would recommend the bermuda's as well. I do alot of the tifway sod and even seed in my area. Alot of local schools and rec complexes had me put down bermuda. Only drawback is you have to make sure it doesn't spread into your bedded areas. Bermuda loves to spread.

YardPro
12-19-2004, 07:38 PM
vantage or fusuilade will keep it out of the beds

TClawn
12-19-2004, 07:40 PM
I have no idea what kind of water that there going to be using but I do know that it's not reclaimed or salt water.

the seashore has held up pretty good but is definatly showing some signs of wear. ric, could you please give me a fert program that would help it survive the wear as long as possible?

Ric
12-19-2004, 08:04 PM
I have no idea what kind of water that there going to be using but I do know that it's not reclaimed or salt water.

the seashore has held up pretty good but is definatly showing some signs of wear. ric, could you please give me a fert program that would help it survive the wear as long as possible?

TC

I don't know your soil or weather, therefore I really can not advise you. Calcium Nitrate although expensive does give turf a lot of additional strength. Potassium sulfate also helps with stress and develops better roots. Ammonium Sulfate with cause better greening and faster top growth. But you need someone in your area to help you out. I do not have any Seashore Paspalum under my care and only know what I have read about in the trade journals. I am sure there are Golf Courses in your area that have Seashore Paspalum, it is native to Pacific Islands of the mid Pacific, namely Hawaii.