PDA

View Full Version : which is faster?

lawnwizards
12-18-2004, 07:05 PM
trimmer vs. mower... which is faster? a trimmer with an 18" cut versus a 21" mower?

YardPro
12-18-2004, 07:25 PM
the trimmer is faster but the mower will give a far superior quality of cut.

LawnBoy89
12-18-2004, 07:35 PM
A trimmer with an 18'' cut? That thing will sound mean.

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
12-18-2004, 07:35 PM
i beg to differ on that note....i think i can give a better cut with a trimmer than anyone can give with a 21" and do it at least twice as fast.....havent carried a 21" since i started pulling my equipment with truck/trailer.

this entire slope in this picture was cut with a trimmer...just to much danger to take a mower on the slope with the road right there

lawnwizards
12-18-2004, 07:39 PM
A trimmer with an 18'' cut? That thing will sound mean.
huh? :dizzy:

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
12-18-2004, 07:39 PM
sorry about that no pic

it is reply #17 in this post
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=77345&page=2&pp=10

K c m
12-18-2004, 08:21 PM
what are you asking? are you cutting a steep incline? if you are i can answer this for you. i mow a bunch of doubles that are elivated 10 feet off the ground. With a steep steep hill on both sides. Well i tried to mow it. and its not hard to cut but it just braks your balls. Id say if its not that bad of an incline stay with the 21. But if its really really steep keep it to the string cutter. .02

lawnwizards
12-18-2004, 08:24 PM
what are you asking? are you cutting a steep incline? if you are i can answer this for you. i mow a bunch of doubles that are elivated 10 feet off the ground. With a steep steep hill on both sides. Well i tried to mow it. and its not hard to cut but it just braks your balls. Id say if its not that bad of an incline stay with the 21. But if its really really steep keep it to the string cutter. .02
nah, i'm not cutting anything. me and my buddy just went at it today. him and his 21, me and my trimmer... same area to cut. i won. didn't look as nice but i beat him... just wanted everyone elses opinions on this. thanks.

YardPro
12-19-2004, 08:05 AM
i beg to differ on that note....i think i can give a better cut with a trimmer than anyone can give with a 21"

no way
you will not have the same height control with a trimmer that you will have with a mower. the blade is on a fixed plane.
looks like some spots in that pic are cut too short ( the scalped looking patches) look at the pic closely, you can see patchyness in the color of the grass, especially on the right of the pic. this comes from the inability to control the height of the string. you cannot keep the string within the 1/4 inch range weedeating large areas.

j fisher
12-19-2004, 09:44 AM
nah, i'm not cutting anything. me and my buddy just went at it today. him and his 21, me and my trimmer... same area to cut. i won. didn't look as nice but i beat him... just wanted everyone elses opinions on this. thanks.

enough said

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
12-20-2004, 03:50 PM
no way
you will not have the same height control with a trimmer that you will have with a mower. the blade is on a fixed plane.
looks like some spots in that pic are cut too short ( the scalped looking patches) look at the pic closely, you can see patchyness in the color of the grass, especially on the right of the pic. this comes from the inability to control the height of the string. you cannot keep the string within the 1/4 inch range weedeating large areas.

acctually the patchyness in the color comes from grubs that were not controled correctly by tru-green.

how come you think that its immpossible to keep the plane of a whip level?....its like any skill once you do it for a long time you get good at iit.....iit all a matter of hand eye cordnation....kind of like a painter and his brush strokes.

and with a 21" you cannot conform to unlevel ground as easily as you can with a weedwhip....Also there is a thing called tire tracks and IMHO 21" lines look unproffesional and they are very obvious to see in turf.

Kelly's Landscaping
12-20-2004, 08:40 PM
I find the trimmer as fast if not faster then the 21-inch mower. For starters I remove half the guards on my trimmers as soon as I get them by half I mean I cut them to a more reasonable size. I also remove the line blade so the string can go much farther out. I typically when mowing with a trimmer keep it at around 10-12 inches long per side add in a 4 inch head and itís at 24-28 inches. For regular trimming 16-18 inches is fine but when your cutting grass why not go longer. The control I have is very good I can go over and area as much as needed chasing down any clumps and dissipating them very quickly giving it a mower cut look. In fact it often looks better that said I have had no employees yet that could give me the same quality I deliver and thus they use a 21 apparently its a acquired ability and it is not as quick to learn as some things with a weed wacker.

The deciding factor is square footage if itís a small area like 800 sq ft or less I would not even think of unpacking the mower. But when its gets over a 1000 then the mower looks better and better to you as it gets quite tiring with a wacker after a few thousand sq ft.

Envy Lawn Service
12-20-2004, 09:04 PM
how come you think that its immpossible to keep the plane of a whip level?....its like any skill once you do it for a long time you get good at iit.....iit all a matter of hand eye cordnation....kind of like a painter and his brush strokes.

and with a 21" you cannot conform to unlevel ground as easily as you can with a weedwhip....Also there is a thing called tire tracks and IMHO 21" lines look unproffesional and they are very obvious to see in turf.

I agree completely. Rarely do I ever choose the 21. I hate the tire marks.

You do great work by the way....

LawnBoy89
12-20-2004, 09:18 PM
i beg to differ on that note....i think i can give a better cut with a trimmer than anyone can give with a 21" and do it at least twice as fast.....havent carried a 21" since i started pulling my equipment with truck/trailer.

this entire slope in this picture was cut with a trimmer...just to much danger to take a mower on the slope with the road right there

Well I've cut with alot of 21''s before and they cut perfectly even, so how can you get more even then that with a trimmer? I'm not saying you didn't do a good job in that pic with the trimmer but if I was you I would have used that 36 w/b that you had or just did it with the ZTR nice and slow.

Soupy
12-20-2004, 09:48 PM
I think it depends on the size of the area. If it is a dog pen or very small area then the trimmer would be faster. But if it is a larger area then the 21" will be faster for sure. The only reason the small area wins is because of unload time etc. But you can't convince me that you can cut a back yard (5k in size) with small gate faster with a trimmer then with a 21 inch mower.

TClawn
12-20-2004, 10:33 PM
A trimmer might win to start out with but after 8 hours of holding a trimmer in you hand I'll be mowing circles around you with my 21".

in the long run a 21" WILL be faster.