PDA

View Full Version : Customer is in a coma!!!

Creative Lawn Care
12-18-2004, 09:07 PM
Question for you guys. Have a customer that I mow his gas station and his home. I have not received payment from last month yet so I go by the store to try and get it. It is only $400 but I am a small bus. and it is the week before christmas so I could sure use the money. Anyway he isnt there so I ask the employee and he tells me the guys had a stroke last week, went to the hospital and had triple bypass surgery. During the surgery he went into a coma and has not woke up yet. Now what do I do?? I assume his wife is in charge since he is not able, but at the same time I feel bad to call the house over the money when the family is obviously going through enough problems right now. Merry Christmas guys!! and gals!

Mo Green
12-18-2004, 09:08 PM
Find out if he has a business partner, or talk to his wife.

coastallandscapesolutions
12-18-2004, 09:11 PM
I would send a copy of the invoice to his wife in the mail and a personal note to her offering sympathy, letting her know that you would be glad to help out where you can. Personally, I would not even mention the invoice in the personal note. It will speak for itself. I would make sure it stated when it was due. Being the time of year it is makes it real hard.

bobbygedd
12-18-2004, 09:14 PM
some people will do anything to avoid paying thier bill. call his wife, get paid

Creative Lawn Care
12-18-2004, 09:15 PM
The original invoice was due Dec 5th. This guy is always a late payer and pays a $25 late fee every month. I think they are kinda cash strapped. Anyway I think the note and copy of the invoice is a good idea. I want to be nice and do whats right at the same time I like to pay my bills too.

Creative Lawn Care
12-18-2004, 09:16 PM
LMAO Bobby....I but you are right, maybe he really is jsut faking it laying there in ICU

coastallandscapesolutions
12-18-2004, 09:18 PM
some people will do anything to avoid paying thier bill. call his wife, get paid

Don't forget the shovel when you go by to collect :p

bobbygedd
12-18-2004, 09:24 PM
i don't know, this sounds backwards to me, most of my customers don't end up in a coma until AFTER i make my collection visit

locutus
12-18-2004, 09:26 PM
some people will do anything to avoid paying thier bill. call his wife, get paidI had a client die on me once to avoid paying their bill. :angel:

Creative Lawn Care
12-18-2004, 09:33 PM
Locutus-This place is actually in Jamestown.....you might know the guy....

locutus
12-18-2004, 09:38 PM
Locutus-This place is actually in Jamestown.....you might know the guy....What gas station and where?

Tn Lawn Man
12-18-2004, 10:19 PM
I would send a copy of the invoice to his wife in the mail and a personal note to her offering sympathy, letting her know that you would be glad to help out where you can. Personally, I would not even mention the invoice in the personal note. It will speak for itself. I would make sure it stated when it was due. Being the time of year it is makes it real hard.

This is good advice....

I have seen situations like this before. The spouses (sometimes widows) often neglect the business side of things due to the extreme amount of stress (grief). It is sad but I would not perform anymore service though until you get paid and things are stable with the business....unless you don't mind working for free.

TGIB
12-18-2004, 10:20 PM
Somebody is making out a payroll check for that employee at the gas station, that you talked to. The business is continuing to operate even though the owner is very ill and unable to do anything. Go back and ask the employee, who is it that is writing his payroll check - that is the person you need to approach with your overdue bills.

You don't need to feel badly about asking for your overdue money - this is business, it's not personal.

Believe me the petroleum refiner that they get their gas supplies from will shut them off in a heartbeat if they are a day late with the money for the gasoline and oil they sell.

Heck - the oil company would probably come to the funeral home and try to repo the coffin and pawn it , just to get a partial payment on their gasoline.

Creative Lawn Care
12-18-2004, 11:20 PM
Locutus-Its the BP on Greensboro Rd near the Henry James BBQ

ALarsh
12-18-2004, 11:26 PM
Send an invoice to the house. Does the heat, phone and water bill stop when somebody is in a coma?

out4now
12-18-2004, 11:27 PM
Business is business, do it with tact but get your money. Like already said someone is handling the affairs if the station is still open. Who's paying for the fuel delivery. The business will not close over this from the sound of it. Send invoice to the person handling the finances and maybe a card and/or flowers to the guy's home or the hospital.

i_plant_art
12-19-2004, 01:01 AM
sucks for the guy but im sure the mortgage company aint lettin them slip by this month... why should you.... do it right be nice and respectful about it im sure his wife probally didnt know about it or forgot due to the circumstances.