PDA

View Full Version : ford powerstroke ????

draftlawncare
12-19-2004, 01:42 AM
i bought a 2001 f250 powerstroke last summer first diesel i have owned its a hell of a work truck pulls like a mo` fo`. the truck ran fine all summer but now that it has gotten cold the truck smokes when i start it in the mornings and when i hit the gas pedal the motor does not want to rev till the motor starts to warm up a little is this normal???????????????????

UNISCAPER
12-19-2004, 02:15 AM
The powerstroke is a tad cold blooded. Just like its naturally aspirated predicessor. Ours is an 02, and it never gets below 40° here, and, does the same thing. A little smoke, slow to start until warm. They are alot more cold blooded than the Duramax, which, is running by the time it turns over 2 times with less pre heat time. The 444 cubic inch stroke has alot more pulling power than the 366 cubic inch, at least pulling the grades with the loads we do.

mowerman111
12-19-2004, 02:17 AM
you should check out this site if you havent already it is called Free Auto Advice they have a forum called Powerstroke Only those guys are very helpful

wriken
12-19-2004, 06:02 AM
both of mine will bellow out some smoke on colder mornings, but if they are plugged in and warm, they smoke less.

i_plant_art
12-19-2004, 12:23 PM
draftlawncare--- do you plug the truck in at night... the powerstrokes come standard with and engine block heater that you plug in at night to keep the engine warm so that i will start smoothly in the mornings. When cold diesel fuel will "gel" and become thicker than normal and wont "work right" this is why the truck doesnt rev right and so on and smokes is b/c its not getting enough fuel..... by continually cold starting the truck day after day on cold mornings you can/will eventually do damage to the engine, and NEVER try and rev the engine after starting it let it warm up first. i plug mine in at night and i still let it sit and idle for bout 7-10 minutes after starting it in the mornings.

Now to find out if you have an engine block heater (which u do u just need to fine out where some jerk off hid the cord at) stand outside the truck and look into the driverside wheel well...... you can see the side of the engine block here you should be able to see a "pipe looking thing" similat to a large spark plug sticking out of the side of the engine block.... this is the heater..... it will have a cord on the end of it,.......open the hood and track the cord towards the front of the truck. the cord should come out somewhere in the front bumper ( mine comes ouf right above the towning hook on the drivers side.) it will be a standard 3 prong electrical cord to plug into an extension cord and then into a electric outlet. sometimes you can just open the hood and look around inside for it and find it cause some people wrap the cord around some of the tubbing and such in the engine bay when they are not using them.

Hope this helps ya out and solves your problem .. i know it will.. if ya need more help or pics of where/what i am talking about let me know i dont mind taking some for ya.

draftlawncare
12-19-2004, 01:07 PM
thanks i plant art i didnt know what the hell was causing that but i was hoping it was the cold weather....... btw do you know if a rear main seal is covered on the 100,000 mile warranty just noticed mine is leaking

Randy J
12-19-2004, 01:38 PM
I'd highly recommend plugging in the Powerstroke on colder mornings also. You might want to get a glow plug relay and keep in the glove box also, as the powerstroke is somewhat notorious for the relays going bad. They tend to have glow plug problems also, but not as often as the relay.

I plant, I'd be careful about letting your diesel idle when cold. Cold idleing is very determential to diesels - and they won't really warm up like gas engines. When cold, diesels tend to get "fuel wash". The fuel doesn't burn completely - as diesels need heat for combustion. The left over fuel washes down the cylinder walls and dilutes the oil. It's best to start the diesel, and then drive carefully for 5 - 10 minutes until it starts warming up. Or get a fast idle kit.

Drew Gemma
12-19-2004, 02:12 PM
it's a diesel thats what they do when it's cold. Plug it in or flip the key on a few times to warm up the glow plugs. But watch that will kill your battery. Plug it in

out4now
12-19-2004, 02:18 PM
Use your block heater and glow plug it, when it starts let it idle for a bit. As it's warming up you should check your lights and trailer connections. They have additives to combat the gel problem.

jd270
12-19-2004, 03:21 PM
ive had 3 powerstrokes they all did that the 01 nad 02 i had would change idle speed automaticaly during warm up and up north all the fuel should be mixed for winter already but power select does help with gelling and it does lube injection pumps and clean injectors pluging in is if posible below 30 is helpfull and i ran 15/40 deere oil all year in them as i do in the tractors they were very good motors i never had a single problem with one my last truck was a dodge with a cummins ho with a 6 speed and also no problems in 200,000 miles very impresive they use heater grids to heat the air works well

Tevi
12-19-2004, 07:22 PM
Try plugging it in also switch to 15w40 synthetic.One problem you might be hjaving is the oil isn't flowing thru the injectors properly until it warms up

jd270
12-19-2004, 09:38 PM
but make sure you have at least 30,000 miles on it first or so ive been told by ford mechanics before you switch to synthetic in a diesel

Gilla Gorilla
12-20-2004, 10:36 PM
I doubt that it is your rear main leaking. More than likely it is coming from the top backside of the engine from a loose air intake tube or turbo pedastol area.

Take it to the dealer and have them check for the leak. Most times the oil leaks are covered under the 100,000 / 5 year powerstroke warranty. Just authorize a 1 hour check out charge up front for locating the leak. That way if it is not covered then you still spent less then the $100.00 deductable for the engine warranty.

Guthrie&Co
12-20-2004, 11:57 PM
i bought a 2001 f250 powerstroke last summer first diesel i have owned its a hell of a work truck pulls like a mo` fo`. the truck ran fine all summer but now that it has gotten cold the truck smokes when i start it in the mornings and when i hit the gas pedal the motor does not want to rev till the motor starts to warm up a little is this normal???????????????????
your truck is fine. nothing to worry about. most powerstrokes come with a ebvp valve ( exhaust backpressure valve) which shuts to help warm the motor. its a butterfly valve located behind the turbo. sometimes you can hear it. it sounds like a mass of air coming from the tail pipe. however they do make a kit that you can use this valve as an exhaust brake. which might be something some of you guys might want to consider. its alot cheaper than to install a complete exhaust brake. dont worry about your truck its perfectly normal

kc2006
12-21-2004, 01:43 AM
Actually you can go to synthetic whenever, it wont matter and you'd want to go with 5w40 synthetic. Mobile 1 and rotella are pretty much the best. Start plugging it in and cycle the glow plugs a couple times on real cold mornings. My truck smokes alittle bit (234,000 miles) but I always sit for about 2-3mins and then go and its fine. check out ford-trucks.com some time they have a good forum for powerstrokes.

Oldtimer
12-25-2004, 02:21 PM
Ford has had problems with the rear main seal on their diesels.

For a source of information go the following web site:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

Oldtimer

dwc
12-27-2004, 12:06 AM
I was told by Ford engineers on my '04 Powerstroke that all bellowing of smoke like a freight train was normal. Mine even did it when it was warm driving around. It was just a sorry way for Ford to sweep it under the rug instead of repairing it under warranty.
I now drive a GMC. :-)