PDA

View Full Version : Acreage

Shawns Lawns
12-19-2004, 12:44 PM
How do you guys figure out lawn size? Do you Guess, ask the owner, or measure it out for yourself? If you measure it out what are you using to measure it out. Thanks :waving:

LLandscaping
12-19-2004, 01:09 PM
We usually just look at the lawn and decide how long it will take and price according. Most of our lawns that are near each other are close to the same size. We charge extra if they want if bagged, if the yard is hilly, and if there is a lot of edging and trimming. I would start with a minimum price and you can adjust your price from there. It take some time in the field to develop your own method pricing.

out4now
12-19-2004, 01:28 PM
Measure using a wheel type measurer, Lowes, H Depot will have them, after a while you'lll eyeball it.

Ecobjs
12-19-2004, 01:42 PM
We also use the wheel method to measure. You start to get a pretty good eye for it after a few.

snap12.5
12-19-2004, 02:25 PM
how many square feet in an acre??? and what is the typical price to mow exactly 1 acre with relatively no trees and little trimming and blowing???

captaingreen
12-19-2004, 02:35 PM
how many square feet in an acre??? and what is the typical price to mow exactly 1 acre with relatively no trees and little trimming and blowing???
roughly 44,000 sq. ft. to an acre. I have one lawn that is exactly one acre, takes little over an hour, I charge $60

yrdandgardenhandyman
12-19-2004, 02:36 PM
In my area they have property info posted on the web. It is on the county assessors site. Gives tax info, property value, dimensions, property lines, a topographical map and even an interactive aerial view. Still, most info is at least a year old so we still have to personally view the site to know if there are any new fences, flower beds or other new landscape features to consider. All in all it is still a very useful tool.

better choice lawn care
12-19-2004, 03:13 PM
captain green- a acre takes you a hour to mow? what kind of a equipment are you using?

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc
12-19-2004, 03:26 PM
Eyeball it. Look at the amount of grass and how long you think it would take to mow it. Then factor in more time for hills or rough terrain that would slow you down. Then add for trees, trimming, edging, blowing, etc. I usually start with $30 on what i call a garden home. Those are the 1400 sq ft homes on a lot of about 1/4 to 1/2 acre then factor all the other stuff in.

all ferris
12-19-2004, 04:28 PM
rollatape to measure the lawn, edging, and trimming.

Shawns Lawns
12-19-2004, 05:10 PM
Measure using a wheel type measurer, Lowes, H Depot will have them, after a while you'lll eyeball it.
is this something you can attach to you ZTR or are you walking it first?

Shawns Lawns
12-19-2004, 05:13 PM
43,560 Sq ft per acre or 210' x 207.5' but that spec measurement can change.

out4now
12-19-2004, 06:03 PM
is this something you can attach to you ZTR or are you walking it first?

No it's a handheld deal they are about 20-30 bucks I think.
Never seen one attached to a ZTR, I think you just invented something, quick , get a patent!

captaingreen
12-19-2004, 07:58 PM
captain green- a acre takes you a hour to mow? what kind of a equipment are you using?
That is using a Scag Tiger Cub 52", why?

grass_cuttin_fool
12-19-2004, 08:15 PM
Here is a link to a picture of the one I use, its cheap and made pretty good and if it gets broke, lost, stolen im not out of much. It has a big wheel, telescoping handle and a kickstand http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?function=Search
type 42293 in the item box

better choice lawn care
12-19-2004, 08:16 PM
I was just wondering, it seemed like a long time for 1 acre. with a tiger cub especially. i thought maybe you were using a walk behind....

Flex-Deck
12-19-2004, 08:30 PM
I use a digital range finder - Only have to stand in one or two spot, and you have the yard measured in seconds.

Carolina Cutter
12-19-2004, 08:57 PM

43560 sq feet in an acre

Carolina Cutter
12-19-2004, 09:00 PM
43,560 Sq ft per acre or 210' x 207.5' but that spec measurement can change.

Actually footage measurements aren't that reliable.....it could be 200' x 217.5' or 160' x 257.5'......see it can change by the lot shape so a stated footagge is not very accurate.....

What I do is to measure the lot and then do the math minus the sq footage of the house footprint.....I am not going to mow that anyway.

Flex-Deck
12-19-2004, 09:04 PM
Actually footage measurements aren't that reliable.....it could be 200' x 217.5' or 160' x 257.5'......see it can change by the lot shape so a stated footagge is not very accurate.....

What I do is to measure the lot and then do the math minus the sq footage of the house footprint.....I am not going to mow that anyway.

I do not take out the house - I can mow an open lot faster than one with a house on it, because all the house and drives and sidewalks do is make a bit of trimming - it all averages out.

Carolina Cutter
12-19-2004, 09:21 PM
I do not take out the house - I can mow an open lot faster than one with a house on it, because all the house and drives and sidewalks do is make a bit of trimming - it all averages out.

But when I qoute a house.....I use that as a selling point. Yes you can do an open field faster than a housed yard. But as I am figureing the estimate I tell the homeowner that I subtracted the sq footage of the house footprint since that will not be maintained (impossible) anyway. I feel as though if you actually charged them for the 'total' sq footage of the lot to include the house footprint that you are actually doing them an injustice.

I write up my estimates with the charge for mowing, the charge for edging, and the charges for cleanup.....found that breaking it down actually helps to seal the deal.

snap12.5
12-19-2004, 10:08 PM
what do u all charge for 1 acre of mowing with average amount of trimming and blowing using a 48"/52" ztr mower??? captain green says $60 -i think that might be a little low but i could be wrong. in ohio, just 10,000 sq feet (1/4 acre) brings in between $35 - $45. what do u all think???

captaingreen
12-19-2004, 11:21 PM
what do u all charge for 1 acre of mowing with average amount of trimming and blowing using a 48"/52" ztr mower??? captain green says $60 -i think that might be a little low but i could be wrong. in ohio, just 10,000 sq feet (1/4 acre) brings in between $35 - $45. what do u all think???
That 1 acre takes 1hr.=$60 I have some 10,000 sq. ft. lawns that take 45 minutes=$45 I have a 10,000 sq. ft. lawn that takes an hour and a half=$90, notice a trend? You want to charge by the hour, not the square footage. Some lawns are gonna take longer due to amount of trimming, blowing and so on. That 90 lawn that is 10,000 sq. ft. has alot of landscape beds and requires alot of trimming, blowing, and waiting on people due to the high amount of foot traffic as well as picking up some debris, make sense?

better choice lawn care
12-19-2004, 11:22 PM
yup. makes some more sense now.

Carolina Cutter
12-20-2004, 09:18 AM
That 1 acre takes 1hr.=$60 I have some 10,000 sq. ft. lawns that take 45 minutes=$45 I have a 10,000 sq. ft. lawn that takes an hour and a half=$90, notice a trend? You want to charge by the hour, not the square footage. Some lawns are gonna take longer due to amount of trimming, blowing and so on. That 90 lawn that is 10,000 sq. ft. has alot of landscape beds and requires alot of trimming, blowing, and waiting on people due to the high amount of foot traffic as well as picking up some debris, make sense?

I have actually done it both ways. The problem I have with "eyeballing it" is when a customer wants a breakdown of the charges to see how I came to that figure. Kinda like an itemized bill. Hard to list that I charge so and so dollars per hour. With the square footage raes I have come up with it usually comes out to be what I would have eyeballed it to be.

How do you explain it to the customer if they ask for a breakdown?? :waving:

captaingreen
12-20-2004, 09:24 AM
I have actually done it both ways. The problem I have with "eyeballing it" is when a customer wants a breakdown of the charges to see how I came to that figure. Kinda like an itemized bill. Hard to list that I charge so and so dollars per hour. With the square footage raes I have come up with it usually comes out to be what I would have eyeballed it to be.

How do you explain it to the customer if they ask for a breakdown?? :waving:
I've never had a customer ask me to breakdown the cost for mowing, landscaping yes, but not mowing. It seems like most of the time they have already had other estimates by the time I get there, usually I'm in the ballpark or real close. Most of my customers have come by word of mouth, so they already know my quality and reputation, maybe that's why they don't question my pricing.

Carolina Cutter
12-20-2004, 09:44 AM
I've never had a customer ask me to breakdown the cost for mowing, landscaping yes, but not mowing. It seems like most of the time they have already had other estimates by the time I get there, usually I'm in the ballpark or real close. Most of my customers have come by word of mouth, so they already know my quality and reputation, maybe that's why they don't question my pricing.

Well most of my customers come from word of mouth also, I haven't advertised at all this year. The time that I run into this situation is when I am doing a yard and a neighbor comes over to ask for an estimate.

Kinda goes like this:

Me: for a yard this size, I charge $60.

Customer: $60?? For mowing the grass?

Me: Yes, $60. But I am not just "mowing the grass". If you would like to watch my work and see the end results I am doing the yard down the street, I am sure you will see a difference over those who just "mow the grass". I do a complete job and your property will be left much better than it is now, even though it is a beautiful yard (cheese points there).

Customer: Well, I like what you have done down the street but I am interested in how you arrived at the figure of $60. I used to have a kid down the street do it for $10 and my "old lawn service" did it for $30. I think $60 is high, he only charged $30 and he did an ok job............

THIS IS WHERE I BREAK IT DOWN FOR THEM. Once they see the breakdown they understand where I came to the figure and see that there are a lot of things that are going to be done.....not just mow the grass.

Give me some feedback on this......maybe a different opinion will help others.

captaingreen
12-20-2004, 09:50 AM
Well most of my customers come from word of mouth also, I haven't advertised at all this year. The time that I run into this situation is when I am doing a yard and a neighbor comes over to ask for an estimate.

Kinda goes like this:

Me: for a yard this size, I charge $60.

Customer: $60?? For mowing the grass?

Me: Yes, $60. But I am not just "mowing the grass". If you would like to watch my work and see the end results I am doing the yard down the street, I am sure you will see a difference over those who just "mow the grass". I do a complete job and your property will be left much better than it is now, even though it is a beautiful yard (cheese points there).

Customer: Well, I like what you have done down the street but I am interested in how you arrived at the figure of $60. I used to have a kid down the street do it for $10 and my "old lawn service" did it for $30. I think $60 is high, he only charged $30 and he did an ok job............

THIS IS WHERE I BREAK IT DOWN FOR THEM. Once they see the breakdown they understand where I came to the figure and see that there are a lot of things that are going to be done.....not just mow the grass.

Give me some feedback on this......maybe a different opinion will help others.
It sounds like you handled that situation well in your example, I just have never had to do so, but one day I might, so thanks for the heads up.

Shawns Lawns
12-21-2004, 03:35 PM
I thinks those prices are pretty good and only being to Ohio one time it all looked flat to me seems like easy cutting. Since most residental customers do not live on a obstacle free lot do you have a set price with out obstacles and then charge for each thing you have to go around or if the lot is hilly or hard to cut? :waving:

grass-scapes
12-21-2004, 05:12 PM
But when you break it down you get this:

Well, I only want you to edge and trim every OTHER week and take that cost out of your price. OR do it once a month.
I find it works better if you group mowing/edging/trimming and blowing all togehter into one charge.

Flex-Deck
12-21-2004, 06:08 PM
I see all kinds of methods of quoting, and all I can say is KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. (Old air force saying) I basically quote the job. If they want to negotiate every other time stuff - fine - just make sure everyone understands the deal - I just make sure I am coming out all right. I like to make my clients a deal where they pay for 26 mowings per year, and average them over 7 months. That works good for me and them. They know exactly what it is going to cost, and I tell them I will mow timely because my reputation is on the line. If I would try to take advantage by not mowing timely, I would not get any word of mouth referalls. My reputation is on the line. They like the deal and I do to.