PDA

View Full Version : ball hitch carrier for mower and aerator.

sildoc
12-19-2004, 12:52 PM
I have several accounts that I just need my 21" , trimmer, and blower that are not very accessible because of not places to turn a trailer around. These are high end premium accounts that also include weeding and some trimming of plants/ shrubs. I have been building a concept to not only carry my 21" around but also my aerator. This would not only save me mucho gas money when doing aerations because I do not have to carry my big trailer around just for an aerator.
this is a paint application so it is not the best.
Any critiques are appreciated. Thanks.

out4now
12-19-2004, 01:33 PM
At 30 wide that's some serious overhang. Hopefully areas are not hilly. Also will it be able to handle the torqing back and forth with the weight on it? I've seen those hitch carriers before but never with much weight on them.

sildoc
12-19-2004, 01:50 PM
At 30 wide that's some serious overhang. Hopefully areas are not hilly. Also will it be able to handle the torqing back and forth with the weight on it? I've seen those hitch carriers before but never with much weight on them.
it is only 24" wide. The drop gate is 30" in length and 24" wide. I don't need it that wide for my mower but I need it that wide for my aerator. I belive with the support straps it will handle the torque. my aerator is only 200 lbs. There will however be a slight play where it enters the reciever. This will actually cause a minor rocking back and forth going around corners and such.

nitrotim
12-19-2004, 04:37 PM
This might help they have a wide variety of carriers. Maybe you could get some ideas from here.

http://www.etrailer.com/cargo-carrier.aspx

The C Man
12-19-2004, 06:29 PM
I think it's a good idea, keep working on it. As far as the rocking back & forth goes, it'd be nice if they made a hitch with a left & right side receiver so you could slide in a carrier and it'd be supported on both sides. I'd like to have a carrier large enough to carry my 36" mower so I wouldn't need a trailer (Quick 36, only 294 lbs).

mtdman
12-20-2004, 03:56 AM
There's a guy on ebay that sells carriers for wheel chairs and scooters that attach to your hitch. The thing tips to one side so you can load/unload and then tips back up. Don't have the link off hand. If I find it I'll post. Only $300 plus shipping. I too thought about something like that for light days when I'm just aerating/dethatching/blowing.

sildoc
12-20-2004, 11:26 AM
Just got back from the metal shop. Total costs for materials is 50 bucks including shearing of the corigate metal. I figure the time to weld up is 2 hours and that is screwing around. Any one else have any ideas.