PDA

View Full Version : tramp weed has

Charles
05-21-2000, 12:46 AM
Since the drought started. I noticed thisw weed on top of the ground. Looked like snow or cotton. It has took over most of the state of SC. Clogging up my kubota screens. You run over it and it floats high in the air. Everyone has been asking me what this weed is because it has carpeted the ground. Well the lead story on the news tonight was about this weed. Called the tramp weed(dont know if I am spelling it right. Its a winter weed that has used the drought to spread rapidly. They say to control it cut the grass 2/1/2" inches or higher and keep the grass watered. They say it should disappear by June. Still no rain here. Anyone else have this type of weed problem?

HOMER
05-21-2000, 01:41 AM
Sounds like dandelions! Little white puff balls that take off when their hit?<p>Homer

lawnnut
05-21-2000, 09:07 AM
Glad to hear the name of it.<br>Plenty of it in NC now.

Grateful11
05-21-2000, 11:57 AM
There was an article in todays paper about this weed. It's called Facelis(Facelis retusa) or Tramp weed. The author who is an Ag. agent said very little can be found about it. He recieved and Email from Australia from a weed spec. who told him it thrived in hot, dry locations. It is a winter annual that has produced seed for next year and will die out in several weeks. It is almost non-existent in lawns that are thriving and well-irrigated. Mowing extremely close promotes growth. Round-up or Finale are the only thing for control at this time. <br>If I can get link to this article I'll post it. i have one lawn with this problem. There's a guy down the road who mows his lawn about down to the ground and his entire lawn is now white with the stuff. I'd like to know where it came from? Grateful.

geogunn
05-22-2000, 02:56 PM
I heard on the news that the hay that was donated from the farmers out west to the farmers in north and south carolina a few years back during the drought had caused zillions of new weed types to sprout. I dunno. could be.<p>GEO

Grateful11
05-22-2000, 07:35 PM
The hay is good possibility. We picked up a lot of new weeds here after Hurricane Hugo came through in '89. Some of which have spread wildly and some we have been able to control with 2-4D and Roundup. Grateful

PLS
05-22-2000, 11:44 PM
Tramp weed is all over Atlanta, just as you describe. I don't have a problem with it on any jobs, as they are mostly irrigated and in good shape, but I see alot of it riding down the road. Nasty stuff.<p>Is anyone having a problem with Vetch in their ornamental beds? It's a nasty little weed that climbs up in the shrubs and if you pull it, it breaks off at the top of the ground. I know that it is a perennial and pre emergent does'nt stop it. Roundup will take it out when its in the open and sprayable. It seems to get worse every year.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: PLS