PDA

View Full Version : lesco vs exmark ztr

davechick12
12-19-2004, 08:33 PM
Right now I have a 36in lesco walk behind very happy with it. The only problem is lesco does not service there equipment. Sometime with in the next few months i plain on buying a ztr. At first i thought i wanted the exmark now i believe i really should buy the lesco. I heard something about you cant grease the spindles (not sure if thats true or not.) Also i could save myself 1000 by buying the lesco. The money is really not the big issue its more important to me that i purchase the right mower. I was thinking about getting the 52in model. Both dealers are close with in 10 minutes of my house so thats not a problem.
any opinions would be great thanks

Coumbe
12-19-2004, 09:33 PM
Get a Scag or an Exmark.

Turfdude
12-19-2004, 09:33 PM
You're not comparing apples to apples here. First off, although Lesco will give you a list of approved Lesco repair shops, I don't think you'd get the same service as a dealer who would sell you the machine. Secondly, a lot of equipment manufacturers are now going to sealed spindle bearings. You do get a 2 year warranty from eXmark on them anyway. We purchased a 52 Lazer HP w/ ultravac this spring and have been very happy w/ our decision. Finally, why not demo both units on similar properties for yourself and see wqhich cuts/performs best. Remember if you bag, the Lesco unit will have to be fitted w/ a PECO or similar vac w/ a pony motor whereas the eXmark is spindle driven and requires no motor.

Envy Lawn Service
12-19-2004, 10:12 PM
Remember if you bag, the Lesco unit will have to be fitted w/ a PECO or similar vac w/ a pony motor whereas the eXmark is spindle driven and requires no motor.
Well that statment is not true. There is a spindle driven triple bagger available.
Aside from that I agree with everything else.

You said your Lesco does not service equipment. So the choice between the two is a no-brainer.

Eric 1
12-19-2004, 10:59 PM
Why would you buy a mower you can't get serviced?

Between those two i would go with the Exmark, the seem to leave a better cut. IMO.

chefdrp
12-19-2004, 11:05 PM
the Lesco near me has a great service department. There are 2 lescos here for me.One is great in sales and the other is about 30 min from that and its great for repairs. if i go to Erie PA. (only 45 min from me) there is another Lesco. I havent been there for mowers or repairs. Just 3-way..

wriken
12-20-2004, 10:00 AM
I have a spindle drive (peco) type on my 60" tank, works pretty good. As far as repairs, about the only time any 3 of my cub tanks, was for electric clutch adjustment, but now I know how to do it. You maintain them they will work for you, that applies to all mowers, but there are some lemon type machines out there. I've had extremly good luck with my MTD/Lesco/Cub mowers, hopefully it will continue.

slicklawns
12-20-2004, 01:02 PM
Firstly coming from a 36WB any ZT is going to seem the best thing. Exmark is a better mower and even more so if it's only a $1000 more than Lesco. I have the 54'' Lesco Z 2 and for what I do it serves me pretty well. But service centers are an issue with Lesco. Spindle driven versus pony motor, I'd go with the pony motor, why steal HP from your mower. Good luck

davechick12
12-20-2004, 04:07 PM
Have you had any problems with your lesco mowers ?
thanks for the advice

slicklawns
12-20-2004, 05:02 PM
Nothing major, other than wear and tear. The right hydro pump may need some work before season begins, 377 hrs on mower. Deck has V channel on front and is PITA to clean out. But as I said for what I need it does a good job.

beransfixitinc
12-20-2004, 10:09 PM
Finally, why not demo both units on similar properties for yourself and see wqhich cuts/performs best.

Does Lesco offer a demo program, or are they another "buy before you try and then you're stuck with it" ?

chefdrp
12-20-2004, 11:02 PM
if lesco wont let you demo just demo a cub. Its the same machine.

Sir mowsalot
12-20-2004, 11:13 PM
just my 2 cents but, i would say go with the machine that can get serviced without any difficulties. You know as well as the rest of us, that downtime is a killer and in the long run saving a $1000 aint worth it if its a hassle to get the machine fixed at some point in time.