PDA

View Full Version : Chemical prices

Gene $immons
12-19-2004, 10:36 PM
Here in OKC there are several chemical suppliers to choose from. I have noticed that Lesco has some of the highest prices around, almost double for the exact same ingredients. Just wondering if any of you all also noticed this. I like the guys at Lesco, but their prices are really high.

Ric
12-19-2004, 11:18 PM
Here in OKC there are several chemical suppliers to choose from. I have noticed that Lesco has some of the highest prices around, almost double for the exact same ingredients. Just wondering if any of you all also noticed this. I like the guys at Lesco, but their prices are really high.

Gene

If you buy enough, Lesco has different price breaks depending on your gross purchases. Now Lesco does charge more but they offer more. First they are in just about every town. Just like 7-11 you are paying for convenience. Next their Fertilizer products are generally cleaner than their competitors. Third if you are lucky enough to have a good salesman they offer Advice and Education. Now with a few exceptions, most of their local sales clerks are Failed landscapers or former spray tech that couldn't pass the pesticide test. However they do have some training. But don't look for high tech advice from them. Compared to other companies service Lesco is worth the extra. However I use them like a 7-11 and buy my pallet size orders from other manufactures who deliver them.

TClawn
12-19-2004, 11:22 PM
who do you buy your pallet size orders from?

Ric
12-19-2004, 11:37 PM
TC

I just checked your profile and see you are 15 years old. Now I am more than 4 times your age. However I am glad to see you are so interested in you present chosen profession. However I hope you use your inquiring mind to go to college and be a real professional in what ever field you chose.

I buy from several different manufactures and distributors. most of them are not in Hawaii. UHS is now Veracon and Helena is another suppliers I use. South Agi and Prosourse are an other main land companies. Van Waters and Rodgers have changed names so often I can't keep up with their present name.

Neal Wolbert
12-20-2004, 02:56 AM
Ric, I think Van Waters is now Univar, at least it is in the Northwest. Do you have a Wilbur Ellis Co. branch close by? They are my best source for technical info. and products. Neal

Ric
12-20-2004, 08:01 AM
Ric, I think Van Waters is now Univar, at least it is in the Northwest. Do you have a Wilbur Ellis Co. branch close by? They are my best source for technical info. and products. Neal

Neal

No Wilbur Ellis Co. in my area but yes Univar is the current name I think. I still have their number on my Address dialer as V, W & R. Barbara is there sales girl and she does have a Degree in Entomology. So I buy from Barbara not the company, the same way I buy from another salesman. Any company is only as good as the Rep you are dealing with.

timturf
12-20-2004, 08:49 AM
Neal

No Wilbur Ellis Co. in my area but yes Univar is the current name I think. I still have their number on my Address dialer as V, W & R. Barbara is there sales girl and she does have a Degree in Entomology. So I buy from Barbara not the company, the same way I buy from another salesman. Any company is only as good as the Rep you are dealing with.

I agree Ric, a great knowledgable sales person can really make a company!

scweedman
12-21-2004, 08:07 AM
Ric,
Do you prefer one over the other? I prefer Helena over Lesco.

scweedman
12-21-2004, 08:20 AM
I'm wondering about the quality of fert. not service.

Ric
12-21-2004, 08:46 AM
I'm wondering about the quality of fert. not service.

Scweedman

It is not the Manufacturer as much as the blend. However Lesco does have the cleanness fertilizer I have every seen. I also have taken lesco blends to other manufactures to custom blend for me, making some minor changes.

I have never knocked Lesco quality only their price. However I must give Lesco a lot of credit for educating the new guys me included. Education cost! and I found that out going to College at night and working my own thing all at the same time. I was Lucky to have Gary E. as my first Lesco salesman. Gary was the typical Lesco sales guy an other failed Spray tech. However he was sharper and studied all the manufactures information. Of course like all sharpe Salesmen he was hired by an other fertilizer company. Gary Spend a lot of time calling on me and giving me information that I then double checked with my college professors. Unfortunately Gary got caught in the fertilizer slow down when all companies were hurting and Now he sells swimming pools. But I owe a lot of my knowledge to Gary.

Bottom Line. It the rep or salesman, not the company that counts.