PDA

View Full Version : Ring Ring - " Can you guys come out and remove leaves for me ? "

Lawnchoice
12-20-2004, 09:47 AM
I got a call today on my cell phone ( forwarded from biz line during snow storms ) and it's a guy asking me if we can come out and pick up a pile of leaves today.

The picture of my back lawn will tell the rest of the story !

YardPro
12-20-2004, 09:56 AM
tel them sure, for $2500.00

Lawnchoice
12-20-2004, 10:07 AM
I would probably do it, but everything is winterized and put away !

Garden Panzer
12-20-2004, 10:08 AM
Maybe they're in the garage!
:rolleyes:

Carolina Cutter
12-20-2004, 10:09 AM
So what time are you heading over.................LOL ;)

Lawnchoice
12-20-2004, 10:26 AM
Ha. Going to take a nap and get ready to plow driveways this afternoon.

coastallandscapesolutions
12-20-2004, 12:26 PM
I don't see the problem here. Just go and blow the snow off of the leafs and then you can use a shovel to scrape them off the frozen ground and bag'em. What's the big issue with a little snow and ice? Might want to mow the grass for them too. :p It is like nobody has common sense... go figure.

Lawnchoice
12-20-2004, 01:52 PM
I don't see the problem here. Just go and blow the snow off of the leafs and then you can use a shovel to scrape them off the frozen ground and bag'em. What's the big issue with a little snow and ice? Might want to mow the grass for them too. :p It is like nobody has common sense... go figure.

Umm, we use a truck loader which doesn't like ice and snow, it's off the truck and all that would be too much work to do. Mowing is out of the question and will damage the turf.

We are in quite a different winter mode up here than you guys are down south.

I posted it more as a joke if you could get that.

12-20-2004, 02:04 PM
Umm, we use a truck loader which doesn't like ice and snow, it's off the truck and all that would be too much work to do. Mowing is out of the question and will damage the turf.

We are in quite a different winter mode up here than you guys are down south.

I posted it more as a joke if you could get that.

Yea... I got that. Heck, if your loader is afraid of the snow you can come down here and use ours. It has never seen the stuff. Damage the turf..... naw..... it's frozen. LOL

Lawnchoice
12-20-2004, 02:07 PM
You guys still out mowing? Or should I phrase it " mowing " :)

We finished up a couple of weeks ago and now it's onto snow removal.

mtdman
12-20-2004, 02:19 PM
Two years ago we had a snow storm on Dec 1st, before I had all the leaves done. One customer that wanted me to wait until the mid december street pickup date was furious that I hadn't done her leaves, and that I wasn't going to clear the snow off the grass to get the leaves up. Some people just don't think.

Del9175
12-20-2004, 03:15 PM
What, are you afraid of a little hard work? Just kidding ya. It's amazing that anyone would make such a strange request. So what did you say to the guy?

Remsen1
12-20-2004, 03:43 PM
You said you have your plow on your truck so what's the problem? :)

jbell113
12-20-2004, 03:46 PM
Maybe it didnt snow where this guy lives....ever think of that

SodKing
12-20-2004, 03:54 PM
I think that might be the guy that has just about called all of us yesterday. I spoke to my neighbor (also a landscaper) and he got the same call. We all responded pretty much the same...No, sorry, leaf season is over!

muddstopper
12-20-2004, 04:17 PM
Ha. its 18 degress outside and I get a call from a lady wanting me to hydroseed her lawn. Yea right, I'll be right over.

locutus
12-20-2004, 06:25 PM
Is there any amount of money (resonably speaking) that would motivate you to get these leaves? If so how much would you charge?

Lawnchoice
12-20-2004, 06:47 PM
I think that might be the guy that has just about called all of us yesterday. I spoke to my neighbor (also a landscaper) and he got the same call. We all responded pretty much the same...No, sorry, leaf season is over!

New Castle is where the guy was from.

I bet the town is making him remove them.

I have everything packed up for the season so not enough money would get me out there. Time is money to me and it's just not effiecient to head out there in a pickup and try to pick them up ! The leaf loader is away and there is a sander in it's place.

Lawnchoice
12-20-2004, 06:48 PM
Maybe it didnt snow where this guy lives....ever think of that

Very close to my house and I watch the weather like a geek.

Lawnchoice
12-20-2004, 06:49 PM
What, are you afraid of a little hard work? Just kidding ya. It's amazing that anyone would make such a strange request. So what did you say to the guy?

Told him sorry, we are done for the season and everything is in " snow mode."
I did tell him that I would be more than happy to come over in the spring and assist him.

Dozer
12-22-2004, 08:40 AM
What you need is a CAT 277B heated cab rubber trac loader. Wait till the snow gets two feet deep, -37degrees and impress the Heck 0ut of the guy and all his neighbors. The machine will go through anything, find the leaves, load them and you'll be on your way. Even if the tundra isn't frozen under the snow it wont leaf any tracs. Serious! It's a great machine! It lets us start our season earlier and end later. Dozer

Tvov
12-22-2004, 09:16 AM
We did try to vacuum leaf piles when an early snowstorm caught us. Except for the top layer of leaves, the ones underneath are many times dry, but you still end up vacuuming snow. What happens is the snow clogs up the vents, and any moisture in the leaves ends up icing everything. The intake hose gets very heavy when an inch of ice lines the inside of it. We tried to do that once. :dizzy:

Before everything iced up though, it did look pretty cool with the snow blowing out the vents. We had a mini blizzard going for a few moments.

meathead1134
12-22-2004, 09:32 AM
Ha. its 18 degress outside and I get a call from a lady wanting me to hydroseed her lawn. Yea right, I'll be right over.

Now thats funny!

richard coffman
12-22-2004, 11:15 AM
Mabe your customer need more common sence and a pair of glasses. it's cold , snow's on the ground, and figure he won't see the leaves untill spring anyways. :cool: :cool:

12-22-2004, 11:25 AM
You guys still out mowing? Or should I phrase it " mowing " :)

We finished up a couple of weeks ago and now it's onto snow removal.

Mowing is so..... Northern. Here is the South it is "Mow'n"